Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

BTW Minus Man Severson is closing in on -100 for his career with a bullet...he came into the season as a -87, but has already gone -8 in the early going here to close within just five of -100.  Way to go Seves!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW Minus Man Severson is closing in on -100 for his career with a bullet...he came into the season as a -87, but has already gone -8 in the early going here to close within just five of -100.  Way to go Seves!

image.thumb.png.ae87463ad1c00eb5539112a3fda9e594.png

It'd be impressive if it wasn't so fvcking pathetic.

Playing around with the numbers on NHL.com - Severson currently has the 8th worst +/- amongst active players and ranks as the156th worst +/- all time since they started tracking the stat.  Plenty of career left to go, could crack the top 100 (-113) before he turns 30!

image.thumb.png.a762e9ab327127fbd15e56d1c2f2df80.png

Fun fact:

Kovalchuk has the 30th worst +/- of all time.  Wow.  Worst of active players.

image.thumb.png.82b13a885fd66dcf3c53ee95f10af090.png

• Like 1

“I just think we spend a lot of time in our end, and that’s on forwards and (defensemen),” Hall said.

And in Hall’s mind, that’s plaguing their ability to execute in other aspects of the game.

“It seems like sometimes we get extended in our D-zone, and when we do get the puck, we’re 20, 30 seconds into our shift, and I don’t think that allows us to get to the way we want to play,” Hall said. “I’m not watching every single clip that we have, but it seems at least when I’m out there, they get rolling around in our D-zone and us forwards, we can’t kill plays, we can’t block shots. When we do get the puck, we’re already so far into our shift, we’re coming up the ice, and our D aren’t able to join because they have to change, and we’re just a little bit out of sync.”

Via Chris Ryan:

Halls thoughts what's causing the sh!t show. Is this indicative of the way they are being told to play , or is this a result of them not playing how they were told to play? 

One thing I noted is that in the breakout they are still doing that fvcking drop pass to the rushing man in the neutral zone. Its so obvious it's painful. And I rarely recall it being successful. 

16 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Playing around with the numbers on NHL.com - Severson currently has the 8th worst +/- amongst active players and ranks as the156th worst +/- all time since they started tracking the stat.  Plenty of career left to go, could crack the top 100 (-113) before he turns 30!

image.thumb.png.a762e9ab327127fbd15e56d1c2f2df80.png

Fun fact:

Kovalchuk has the 30th worst +/- of all time.  Wow.  Worst of active players.

image.thumb.png.82b13a885fd66dcf3c53ee95f10af090.png

Take a look at how many less games Severson has played too...yikes...

26 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Via Chris Ryan:

Halls thoughts what's causing the sh!t show. Is this indicative of the way they are being told to play , or is this a result of them not playing how they were told to play? 

One thing I noted is that in the breakout they are still doing that fvcking drop pass to the rushing man in the neutral zone. Its so obvious it's painful. And I rarely recall it being successful. 

It sounds like a passive system and he's trying to shoulder some of the blame onto the players and away from a bad system. They have been very passive and get trapped entirely too easily in the defensive zone and of course they get gassed when they start chasing the puck. Granted it was the first game, but the equalizer by the Jets was the perfect example of them getting trapped, then gassed, then exploited, all in one shift.

16 minutes ago, jagknife said:

It sounds like a passive system and he's trying to shoulder some of the blame onto the players and away from a bad system. They have been very passive and get trapped entirely too easily in the defensive zone and of course they get gassed when they start chasing the puck. Granted it was the first game, but the equalizer by the Jets was the perfect example of them getting trapped, then gassed, then exploited, all in one shift.

I think the forwards and to an extent the defensemen are actually way too aggressive in the D zone. They run around like headless chickens and get caught out of position as a result. Then when they get the puck everyone isn’t in a spot to breakout properly. Compounding that is the inexplicable lack of puck handling and accurate passing that leads to turnovers. They then get gassed and don’t pressure the puck carrier at all after that.

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

I think the forwards and to an extent the defensemen are actually way too aggressive in the D zone. They run around like headless chickens and get caught out of position as a result. Then when they get the puck everyone isn’t in a spot to breakout properly. Compounding that is the inexplicable lack of puck handling and accurate passing that leads to turnovers. They then get gassed and don’t pressure the puck carrier at all after that.

Ah gotcha, I've missed the last three games so that's entirely possible. I was just going off what he was saying in the quotes.

So let's assume that the goaltending situation is going to be okay and Blackwood is going to play enough above league average to help us steal some games. Big assumption for an inconsistent goaltender but there isn't much we can do there right now. 

That leaves two main issues. The first is that the team needs another defender. Even when healthy, it'd be great to not have to play Mueller. That said, we don't want to go the year having to play two of Carrick - Mueller - Tennyson when someone goes down. We have the cap space, so if the team continues to pick it up in the wins column, we should try to pull the trigger on something. 

The second issue to me is Gusev and Bratt. Hynes continues to play them together and continues to keep them off the ice, though, there has been a lot of PKs the last few games. It seems kind of silly to me to have two skill players you can't trust defensively play every night for just a few shifts. I don't see why Boqvist doesn't slot in for one of them, namely, Gusev. It's early but he seems like a more responsible player and even if his line doesn't play a lot at least he could be used on the PK. Of course, you don't have to play Boqvist when healthy - when Nico comes back, you could keep Rooney in the lineup at wing. 

Edited by Neb00rs

9 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

So let's assume that the goaltending situation is going to be okay and Blackwood is going to play enough above league average to help us steal some games. Big assumption for an inconsistent goaltender but there isn't much we can do there right now. 

That leaves two main issues. The first is that the team needs another defender. Even when healthy, it'd be great to not have to play Mueller. That said, we don't want to go the year having to play two of Carrick - Mueller - Tennyson when someone goes down. We have the cap space, so if the team continues to pick it up in the wins column, we should try to pull the trigger on something. 

The second issue to me is Gusev and Bratt. Hynes continues to play them together and continues to keep them off the ice, though, there has been a lot of PKs the last few games. It seems kind of silly to me to have two skill players you can't trust defensively play every night for just a few shifts. I don't see why Boqvist doesn't slot in for one of them, namely, Gusev. It's early but he seems like a more responsible player and even if his line doesn't play a lot at least he could be used on the PK. Of course, you don't have to play Boqvist when healthy - when Nico comes back, you could keep Rooney in the lineup at wing. 

Boqvist has been in the doghouse since the 4 min penalty vs Florida that led to the 6th goal. 2 wins since then also didn’t help his cause. The only way he slots in is another forward injury 

5 minutes ago, PacificDevil said:

Boqvist has been in the doghouse since the 4 min penalty vs Florida that led to the 6th goal. 2 wins since then also didn’t help his cause. The only way he slots in is another forward injury 

Or the beginning of the season, depending how you look at it. 

If the Devils continue to play like they did yesterday, they might end up losing more games than winning them. Hynes needs to get ahead of the curve here - and I think he sees it too - that's why he moved Hughes and Zacha around yesterday. 

Edited by Neb00rs