Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

That would be so awkward with Jack Hughes living with him...

Jeez. That would be an uncomfortable situation. 

But... It has to be LTIR. I can't imagine any other way they can get him off the roster. In that case I'd think he would continue being the team player he's been the whole time. Its also possible that he's legitimately never healed, too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NLinfante said:

Sounds like he's being waived and sent to Bingo if/when he clears.

https://www.nj.com/devils/2019/11/devils-to-place-cory-schneider-on-waivers-after-recalling-goalie-louis-domingue-from-ahl-what-it-means.html

Yep.

The right move.  Also shows that for everyone that claims that the Devils somehow don't care about winning, this shows that they do.  They're clearly not going to give Cory any more time to figure sh!t up out here (and potentially cost his team wins that they can't afford to lose).  They're not going to say "But he's making $6 million, we gotta try to get him righted!"  Shero is doing what's best for the NJ Devils in 2019-20, and that's getting Cory as far away from this team as possible...good guy or not, he just can't be here right now.

• Like 2

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Wow.  For bad for Cory, but I suppose it had to be done.  Doubt he gets claimed by anyone so what does this accomplish?  Don't we still have his cap hit?

It gets a better goalie on the roster, that’s what it accomplishes. They don’t save bupkis on the cap till the now inevitable buyout this offseason.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It gets a better goalie on the roster, that’s what it accomplishes. They don’t save bupkis on the cap till the now inevitable buyout this offseason.

True.  That's what I figured.  No disrespect to Louie, but gotta be a big blow to Cory's morale and self esteem (if he had any left), when a journeyman like Domingue is brought up and thought to be the better option than you at this. 

1) I would expect that if Cory gets his game back, they'll call him back up sooner rather than later.

2) re: Jack @ Cory's house - i would expect that he'll either stay there as Jill is like a 2nd mom to him or he'll move to Travis' house which is essentially around the corner. If he doesn't, I'd imagine Travis will be his ride until Cory gets back anyway. He's not moving to JC or Hoboken this year to be by himself or with one of the other young guys.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was wondering the same thing, so then his cap hit is gone, and his career is effectively over. 

from what I read, just sending him down to Bing means something like $4.75M of his 6M will count towards our cap, so a little bit of savings.  If someone claims him, the new team takes his full cap hit.  I have a feeling he will clear.

Edit: It is actually $4.975M and not $4.75M

Edited by DevsMan84
Double-checked cap hit
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And kudos to Shero for acquiring Domingue...not saying that Domingue will be a brick wall in net, but it's now very obvious that Ray was preparing for this, and that there was no way that he was going to be so patient with Cory this time around.  I understood why the Devils tried to be last year (for a number of reasons), but they couldn't take the same approach this season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

from what I read, just sending him down to Bing means something like $4.75M of his 6M will count towards our cap, so a little bit of savings.  If someone claims him, the new team takes his full cap hit.  I have a feeling he will clear.

Oh true, that's good then.  

Yeah, no way in hell someone is taking him, unless there starter is hurt and they're super thin at goalie, which I'm not sure any team has those two problems at the moment. 

But if this is beginning of the end of Cory in NJ, I do feel a bit bad for him.  He got way more sh!t than he ever deserved from our fanbase.  To this day there is a larger-than-it-should-be mongoloid portion of our fanbase who often say he was "never good" even though he single-handedly prevented us from any realistic shots at either McDavid or Matthews in their draft years.

With that said, we can't just continue to rattle off losses in hopes he somehow figures it out.  It sucks but it has to be done.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And kudos to Shero for acquiring Domingue...not saying that Domingue will be a brick wall in net, but it's now very obvious that Ray was preparing for this, and that there was no way that he was going to be so patient with Cory this time around.  I understood why the Devils tried to be last year (for a number of reasons), but they couldn't take the same approach this season. 

Good observation, and this also makes you think that Shero has a plan in place for Hall coming up.

2 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

1) I would expect that if Cory gets his game back, they'll call him back up sooner rather than later.

2) re: Jack @ Cory's house - i would expect that he'll either stay there as Jill is like a 2nd mom to him or he'll move to Travis' house which is essentially around the corner. If he doesn't, I'd imagine Travis will be his ride until Cory gets back anyway. He's not moving to JC or Hoboken this year to be by himself or with one of the other young guys.

Really depends upon how well Blackwood and Domingue play.  Huge opportunity for both of them, really.  But yeah, if one or both falter and Cory's suddenly shredding it in Bingo, he'll become relevant again in a hurry.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Really depends upon how well Blackwood and Domingue play.  Huge opportunity for both of them, really.  But yeah, if one or both falter and Cory's suddenly shredding it in Bingo, he'll become relevant again in a hurry.

This is how Domingue plays that matters as well as Cory. Blackwood isn't going anywhere unless he's hurt plain and simple. He's the starter from here on out I'd imagine.

It's already been the end for Cory. Anybody with eyes has been able to see that Schneider has been trash and finished for a very long period of time now. Over 100+ starts really. There is no recovery. He will never regain what he was 2016 and before. Very sad to see but some guys just lose it. He's had some physical issues and that's likely contributed to it as well.

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's already been the end for Cory. Anybody with eyes has been able to see that Schneider has been trash and finished for a very long period of time now. Over 100+ starts really. There is no recovery. He will never regain what he was 2016 and before. Very sad to see but some guys just lose it. He's had some physical issues and that's likely contributed to it as well.

He did finish last season strongly enough to garner some hope.  But yeah, impossible to expect that he'll ever be what he was, or to have any consistency going forward.  And the bad news is that when he's been bad, he's been "Can't play him" bad. 

12 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

This is how Domingue plays that matters as well as Cory. Blackwood isn't going anywhere unless he's hurt plain and simple. He's the starter from here on out I'd imagine.

I'm very hopeful with Blackwood, but we still don't know what he is just yet.  Yeah he should absolutely be the starter for the foreseeable future (he's done enough to get that chance, given his competition), but if he really slumps hard for an extended period (man would that be a disaster), and Cory's hot in Bingo, the picture can change again. 

Of course, there would be nothing better than for Blackwood to fully seize this opportunity and have us wondering who his backup will be in the next few years.  Of course we all got so spoiled by having Marty and enjoying his insanely long prime...even if Blackwood does have a terrific 2019-20, doesn't mean that he'll become a consistent and steady #1 over the next five years (crossing my fingers as hard as I can that he might though...would be nice for a friggin' goalie in the Devils system to develop and be a long-term answer). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh true, that's good then.  

Yeah, no way in hell someone is taking him, unless there starter is hurt and they're super thin at goalie, which I'm not sure any team has those two problems at the moment. 

They save $1 million but most of that is just going to Domingue who’s taking his place anyway.

• Like 2