Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

OK, you're in charge.

I already said that I'm not a Hynes guy at this point, so if Shero wants to can him, so be it. 

Who are you replacing him with?  Don't tell me Babcock like it's a sure thing.  He'll want several years (obviously he won't get the same coin and term as he did with the Leafs, but hard to imagine that he won't want at least 3+, and I'm not even sure that three would be enough), and there's enough red flags with him that I can't just blindly hire him and hope that it works out. 

So if not Babcock...who?  You have Shero just supporting Hynes no matter what...I'm not so sure that's the case here...I don't think Shero some complacent dummy and I think he knows that Hynes may indeed not be the right guy anymore.  But I don't think he just wants to sh!tcan Hynes and just hire any warm body for the sake of doing so...if Shero doesn't go interim, then he gets one shot at this...if he chooses the wrong guy for the sake of making a change, what then?  Not saying that it's not frustrating to see DBA's face behind the bench...that part I get.  It's you constantly with the shrill "THE OWNERS SUCK THE GM SUCKS THE COACH SUCKS EVERYTHING SUCKS AHHHHHHHHH" screamfest that gets tiresome. 

To be fair he more or less did that replacing Cory, when it was obvious he was no longer the answer.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yup.  Nico is very pedestrian now, and is not actually becoming a better player like he  should be.  Several players in his draft have already passed him.  Hughes is going to have a 30 point season if he's lucky.  I'm sure Hynes will do a great job with Lefrennier or Byfield though because he's a great coach since Ray Shero, who is a great GM per The Athletic, will stick with him no matter what since nothing could be either of their faults.

lol why you gotta make me sad so early in the morning?

41 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

To be fair he more or less did that replacing Cory, when it was obvious he was no longer the answer.

Big difference...Shero inherited Cory, and even though Domingue's numbers last season were obviously boosted from having played for the Lightning, he still represented an upgrade over this version of Schneider. 

Hynes is Shero's hire...I don't think Shero is opposed to having to move on from him, but I don't think he's looking to do it for someone that he doesn't fully believe in, just for the sake of doing so...I think if it's not an interim guy, it's gotta be someone that Shero believes is going to be a long-term solution (if you want to have a debate about whether or not Shero's the guy who should get to make that call, it's obvious you would have allies, but I do think Shero should get one more legit "This is my man" coaching hire). 

Daniel's in full "Not-Hynes" mode right now so he'll throw out just about anyone to take over.  But if I'm Shero, I don't necessarily run right out and hire a guy like Boucher, just because.  He has yet to last 3 full seasons in his prior NHL HC gigs.

29 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Jeez. Dude is tied with Simmonds in points and only 1 point behind Hughes with no PP time and playing mostly on the bottom 6. I really don't know what Hynes' problem is with him

Unless he’s lazy in practice, or he’s banged up, I don’t get it. One game I can understand. 2 games in a row to play those other losers? Nuh uh. 

48612593477_96aec01c3a_c.jpg

Edited by mfitz804

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

And what has happened to Nico's rate of production since then?  Morgan Frost will show he's turning into a progressively better player, or at least that's my prediction since the Flyers, for all their other faults as an organization, do a good job developing their young players.  Nico's development has very obviously stagnated.  It's not that it's Nico's fault, he's been coached to be a worse player than he ought to be. 

Nico has 10 points in his last 13 GP after a slow start.  I know over-the-top negativity about everything is your schtick now, but Nico hasn't "stagnated" as much as you'd like to believe. 

And oh by the way, Nolan Patrick finished up last season with a whopping one goal in his last 21 GP last season (with 7 assists).  Nico finished slow too (1 G in his last 22 GP last season, with 10 assists), but if you're to be this annoyingly one-note, at least don't present falsehoods as truths.  Nolan was NOT starting to produce at a better rate, and you probably knew that, but since it didn't fit with your narrative, you chose to make up nonsense. 

EDIT:  OK, I'll be fair here...if you log each player's last 22 GP last season, they produced the same number of points (11 each...2 G  9 A for Patrick, 1 G  10 A for Nico).

If it's their last 34 GP, they each put up 20 points (8 G  12 A for Patrick, 7 G  13 A for Nico).

Go back any further than that, and Nico wins that battle.

Still supports my point though...Patrick may have been equaling Nico for a while, but he was never really out-producing him. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico has 10 points in his last 13 GP after a slow start.  I know over-the-top negativity about everything is your schtick now, but Nico hasn't "stagnated" as much as you'd like to believe. 

And oh by the way, Nolan Patrick finished up last season with a whopping one goal in his last 21 GP last season (with 7 assists).  Nico finished slow too (1 G in his last 22 GP last season, with 10 assists), but if you're to be this annoyingly one-note, at least don't present falsehoods as truths.  Nolan was NOT starting to produce at a better rate, and you probably knew that, but since it didn't fit with your narrative, you chose to make up nonsense. 

EDIT:  OK, I'll be fair here...if you log each player's last 22 GP last season, they produced the same number of points (11 each...2 G  9 A for Patrick, 1 G  10 A for Nico).

If it's their last 34 GP, they each put up 20 points (8 G  12 A for Patrick, 7 G  13 A for Nico).

Go back any further than that, and Nico wins that battle.

Still supports my point though...Patrick may have been equaling Nico for a while, but he was never really out-producing him. 

The point is that Nolan Patrick has had terrible injury luck and has been a third/second line center because Philly has a much more talented forwards ahead of him, yet there isn't the gulf in production between the two of them that a lot of people think.  This is a first overall pick who Ray just signed to a seven year extension and he has yet to outproduce a 23-24 year old Travis Zajac.  

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The point is that Nolan Patrick has had terrible injury luck and has been a third/second line center because Philly has a much more talented forwards ahead of him, yet there isn't the gulf in production between the two of them that a lot of people think.  This is a first overall pick who Ray just signed to a seven year extension and he has yet to outproduce a 23-24 year old Travis Zajac.  

No, your point was that Nolan was starting to out-produce Nico.  I proved that to be wrong.

Talk to me when Nico is 23 or 24.  He's a little over a month removed from turning 21...he was not projected to be generational or to put up eye-popping numbers immediately.  He was off to a fine start last season (54 games into his season, he was on a 64 points/82 GP pace), but he slowed up AND also was injured.  We at least saw signs of improved production for a nice chunk of last season...I'm not ready to say he's plateaued just yet. 

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No, your point was that Nolan was starting to out-produce Nico.  I proved that to be wrong.

Talk to me when Nico is 23 or 24.  He's a little over a month removed from turning 21...he was not projected to be generational or to put up eye-popping numbers immediately.  He was off to a fine start last season (54 games into his season, he was on a 64 points/82 GP pace), but he slowed up AND also was injured.  We at least saw signs of improved production for a nice chunk of last season...I'm not ready to say he's plateaued just yet. 

He should be getting better, noticeably better.  If we ever get new coaches, perhaps that'll happen. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He should be getting better, noticeably better.  If we ever get new coaches, perhaps that'll happen. 

Yeah he hasn’t progressed. Too many nights where he’s a non-factor. Entirely unacceptable. Meanwhile every time I turn around, someone drafted below him is lighting it up. 

Edited by MadDog2020

15 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Has any player shown an noticeable improvement under Hynes? Outside of one great season from Hall I'm struggling to think of anyone.

Coleman maybe? Nico has improved on face offs (probably his biggest weakness his rookie season). 

Other than that, yeah, not really...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah he hasn’t progressed. Too many nights where he’s a non-factor. Entirely unacceptable. Meanwhile every time I turn around, someone drafted below him is lighting it up. 

Yeah, same imo. Not sure it's totally on the coach some of these guys just haven't stepped up their games, can it still happen sure but at some point down the road they may not live up to expectations. I'm not totally sold on either perspective at this point but am concerned for sure. Just all kinda sucks at this point.