Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

20 hours ago, Daniel said:

Because Vatanen is not taking anything less than a six year deal which someone will be giving him on July 1 and everyone knows it.  That does not fit in with the heavier defense that Shero obviously wants to build for the long term.  If you look at the year he's having, someone is going to pay a lot for him.  He also makes a ton of sense for Winnipeg.   

But I think he does. You don’t need 6 bruisers out there. If you has four plus Smith plus Vatanen, I think that makes a lot of sense.

Butcher would then be the odd man out.

20 hours ago, Daniel said:

Zacha is an inexpensive relatively recent 6th overall pick that is on pace for around 35 points.  He is someone that at the very least  will have a role to play on a very good team and it's not implausible that he gets better.  He isn't Curtis Lazar. 

If he's part of a deal that helps you get a first round pick and Dylan Samberg, who could very well turn out to be as good as Brandon Carlo, that's a huge return that Vatanen doesn't get you by himself.

I think you have him way overvalued. I don’t think a Vatanen rental plus Zacha get you a first and Samberg. Plus, you’d only be getting Samberg’s rights, no? He could refuse to sign out of college, correct?

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think you have him way overvalued. I don’t think a Vatanen rental plus Zacha get you a first and Samberg. Plus, you’d only be getting Samberg’s rights, no? He could refuse to sign out of college, correct?

The assumption, which is fairly reasonable, is that Samberg does not want to play in Winnipeg.  He hasn’t said it outright, but has hinted at it, not to mention that he was probably NHL ready before this season.  So right there, he might be a sunk cost that Winnipeg didn’t pay a ton for as he was a late second round pick.  

So far as him wanting to sign with us, that I couldn’t tell you, but I imagine there is a way for teams to feel that out before making a trade.  And you could attach conditions if he doesn’t sign by a certain date.

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

But I think he does. You don’t need 6 bruisers out there. If you has four plus Smith plus Vatanen, I think that makes a lot of sense.

Butcher would then be the odd man out.

If  Vatanen would agree to three year deal, sure, but he knows he can do better on the open market.  And the idea isn’t to have 6 bruisers, or really any bruisers.  If it were, Gudbranson would be on the team.  The idea is to have at least four defenseman who will not be pushed around in our own end, can do some pushing around in their own right and who aren’t pylons.  Or that’s what it looks like anyway.  

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's amazing people actually get paid to design such garbage and this is part of the reason I never want an original 3rd jersey at this point. I have no faith it will be remotely decent... 

With some of the uniforms they've come up with for recent outdoor games, it's like they are all out of ideas over at Adidas.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's amazing people actually get paid to design such garbage and this is part of the reason I never want an original 3rd jersey at this point. I have no faith it will be remotely decent... 

Glad I got Palms’ ASG GW last season...this year’s look is a serious downgrade.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean I’ll end up buying both but I won’t be happy. 

They look like something you’d buy in the Devils Den for $80-100 each.  They don’t even look like jerseys.  

Maybe I’ll hate them less when I see them on ice?  With numbers on them?

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They look like something you’d buy in the Devils Den for $80-100 each.  They don’t even look like jerseys.  

Maybe I’ll hate them less when I see them on ice?  With numbers on them?

You’re almost right, they’ll be $200. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:
15 hours ago, Lateralous said:

With some of the uniforms they've come up with for recent outdoor games, it's like they are all out of ideas over at Adidas.   

Listening to Boomer Gordon & Jake Hahn on XM yesterday, in their recap they think our "heritage"  jerseys are awesome. Too bad we can't win a freakin game wearing them

29 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Listening to Boomer Gordon & Jake Hahn on XM yesterday, in their recap they think our "heritage"  jerseys are awesome. Too bad we can't win a freakin game wearing them

I like the Heritage jerseys too...if anything, they give me hope that someday, the current black-and-reds might be tweaked so that the shoulder yokes no longer have that odd cropped look.  Even now, they still don't feel quite right.  

53 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The ASG jerseys were influenced by the fact that the Blues are hosting this year.  The stripes are supposed to look like the lines on sheet music.

I am not thrilled with these, but I will take these over the motocross and neon jerseys they have trotted out in recent years.

Yeah I think everyone's familiar with the bolded by now, but the idea just didn't work at all...to most people, they simply look like 5 silver stripes on a barren background.  

The whites look like something that 6-9 year olds (or John Tavares, provided it's a Maple Leaf AS jersey only) would wear to bed.  

I'm not saying this would be much better, but a "wavy" staff might have given the jerseys slightly more life...I think a completely blank staff of straight lines is just hard to make very compelling...by virtue of the waves, such a staff would've at least eaten up more of the blank areas of the jersey.  You really almost need a G-clef (with or without a time sig) just to clue the masses into the fact that the five stripes are actually supposed to represent something:

Image result for musical staff

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like the Heritage jerseys too...if anything, they give me hope that someday, the current black-and-reds might be tweaked so that the shoulder yokes no longer have that odd cropped look.  Even now, they still don't feel quite right.  

WAIT!!

WHAT?!?!

You HATE the old uni's!!    Haha, we've battled over this for years

It's like their finally home being back in the classic Green/Red. No better look

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

WAIT!!

WHAT?!?!

You HATE the old uni's!!    Haha, we've battled over this for years

It's like their finally home being back in the classic Green/Red. No better look

I don't hate the old unis (I have a white GW Huscroft, and red GWs Albelin and Kurvers...also a very old authentic Verbeek), I just never wanted to see them come back full time...I thought the red-and-black redesign was superior.  I'm on board with some kind of "hybrid" jersey that combined elements of the red and greens and red and blacks (in particular some of the stripes and trim).  But no green for me...not full-time, anyway.  

I always did like the old red and green home white much more than the red and green away reds.  And still do.  I do like the current Heritages a LOT.  But not as a primary jersey.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don’t have a subscription to The Athletic so I’m not sure what exactly it says. I’m not sure how I feel about trading Palms though. On one hand he’ll probably bring us back a decent return and we probably won’t be contending for the remainder of his contract. On the other hand he’s the best sniper and pure scorer we have and I’d love to lock him up for a few more years next year. Maybe trading him off,  along with Vats, makes a little sense.

8 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

The ASG jerseys were influenced by the fact that the Blues are hosting this year.  The stripes are supposed to look like the lines on sheet music.

Could’ve been cool. The lines are too far apart, they could’ve been tighter, make the team logo smaller and off to one side, and do small front numbers. Kind of like the 2000 All Stars. At least it would have been more similar to sheet music. 

5 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I don’t have a subscription to The Athletic so I’m not sure what exactly it says. I’m not sure how I feel about trading Palms though. On one hand he’ll probably bring us back a decent return and we probably won’t be contending for the remainder of his contract. On the other hand he’s the best sniper and pure scorer we have and I’d love to lock him up for a few more years next year. Maybe trading him off,  along with Vats, makes a little sense.

Yeah that's a tough one. But at the end of the day if im Shero im sitting with him and i see what Kyle has in mind long term and i go from there

• Like 2