Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

Toronto media: "Hey PK, your team is kinda garbage and you're playing like a shell of your former self. Are you gonna ask for a trade so you have a last chance at a cup before the rest of the league decides you are totally shot?"

New Jersey media: "Coach Hynes, you continue to start Cory Schneider even though he's allowing 5 goals a game and your defense looks like someone's controller got unplugged during a game of EA Sports NHL. So it begs the question... What's your favorite color? Follow up question: what kind of sandwich are you gonna have when you get home?"

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Very unfortunate.  Thankfully he doesn't have a NTC and retaining salary is a thing in the NHL. So I'll hold onto that thread of hope. 

I get that you probably think he's making too much money, but in what sense is he hurting our team beyond performing a bit below expectations in the first half of his first season with us?  We have plenty of cap space, so money isn't really an issue at the moment. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I get that you probably think he's making too much money, but in what sense is he hurting our team beyond performing a bit below expectations in the first half of his first season with us?  We have plenty of cap space, so money isn't really an issue at the moment. 

We disagree when you said a bit below. He's the third highest paid defenseman in the league. Just because you have the cap space doesn't mean you pay a guy twice his value. 

For all we know the owners may have their own cap. So spending 9 on PK at this stage of his career was a stretch. Even if they don't it's bad business to overpay by that much. 

Not a fan never have been and he's done nothing to change that for me.  He hasn't been good on either side of the puck imo. 

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

PK is finally starting to produce a little which as always been what he brought to a team so that's fine. IF he can at least produce he's at least better than most dmen we have access to anyway

He knows how to use ice skates, he has that going for him. 

Unfortunately we are not in the position to be shopping out  PK for anything other than a proven NHL defenseman coming back. Our D is absolutely horrid and we still need a guy like him for 3-4 slot.

Yes, his contract is abysmal but we didn't give it to him.  I say keep him unless like I mentioned above we get a NHL defenseman back. No prospects or picks would be acceptable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'd give it a little more time before making that judgment - it's too early for me to make a determination and label a guy like "he doesn't care enough, and he's making 9M so why should he".  Guy's only been here half a year.

He’s playing much better recently, too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He’s playing much better recently, too. 

Definitely.  The offense has clearly ramped up a bit, and I've noticed a lot less turnovers/risky moves like he was pulling earlier on.  Not sure if that has to do with the coaching change, probably more of him just finally settling in a bit and getting used to his new teammates and the style of play, but whatever it is, it's improved his play quite a bit since the start of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Definitely.  The offense has clearly ramped up a bit, and I've noticed a lot less turnovers/risky moves like he was pulling earlier on.  Not sure if that has to do with the coaching change, probably more of him just finally settling in a bit and getting used to his new teammates and the style of play, but whatever it is, it's improved his play quite a bit since the start of the season.

I feel a lot of times that he was trying to do too much and he’s finally starting to settle down. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I feel a lot of times that he was trying to do too much and he’s finally starting to settle down. 

Yeah, completely agree, and I think that's kind of natural.  It's probably normal for most players to want to impress and take on a lot initially, but especially him - he seems to have that personality, and I think it made him nervous, anxious, and prone to mistakes.  Now that he's slowed down a bit, I think he's seeing the ice better and reacting to (and dare I say, predicting) plays better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That tends to happen when you're the highest paid guy and a lot of the buzz around the season's expectations involved you joining the team. People who don't think the players feel that pressure to succeed are oblivious. They still want to win, but the season's expectations are gone at this point so it is easy to see how they are able to settle in.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Poor Nico and Bratt. I feel for them. 

Me too. I mean you have to think that they probably look at him and feel that he's not on their level.  Not in a snobby or entitled way, it's just reality.  He's a 3rd or 4th line grinder type who plays hard.  His finesse, and perhaps his hockey IQ too, isn't really there.  Nothing against him, he has a role on the team, I just don't think his speed alone should justify him playing on the top line.

His speed and size could help give Nico and Bratt some extra room to do their thing.  I don't love the idea, I can't think of too many better options that weren't tried already (Boqvist, Zacha), so I'll reserve judgment until after the game.  Gusev is the only other option I could see being effective but he looks great with Zajac and Coleman so why mess with something that is working on a team where seemingly everything else isn't?

2 hours ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Granted the game has changed so much over the years, The days of great Devils Defenses of the 90's and early 2000's have all disappeared. Seriously thinking we need to get back into that stingy defensive mode. Oh man, but I do miss those days.  lol

I miss those winning days too, but we were also one of the best offensive teams in the very late 90's/early 2000's too.  We were in the top 2 or 3 teams in the entire league in goals for in 99-00 and 00-01 seasons.

Also helps that Sami Vatanen probably would be our #4 or #5 D-man on those teams as well.

I don't like Wood on the top line but with the season in the toilet it is a big whatever-burger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toasterleavins said:

Wood has definitely earned this. He's scored 2 ENG lately and his BadPenTaken% is the highest its ever been. Time for a promotion.

His crashthenet/60 is almost non-existent right now. Stupid move by Nas. Why not see what Coleman can do getting some shifts up there? Why fix what isn't broken, I guess. 

• Like 3