Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good job by the team here- it was limited to the first 9,000 at first: 

The tinfoil conspiracy theorist in me thinks they did it because they goofed on the years on one side of the ring so either the manufacturer decided to make it up to them or the Devils placed a new rush order for everyone.

I don't think that is the case but again it's a tinfoil-hat theory lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

A friend of mine recommended Letterkenny to me, but I don't remember what it's about.  Is it good?  Also, is it only on Hulu?  I thought he brought that up when we were discussing what good shows Hulu had, and if it was worth subscribing to, but not positive.  I don't have Hulu, tried a free trial a year or two ago, but it was only for a month or so.  11/22/63 was awesome, but not enough to make me sign up. 

It’s a random as sh!t show, four main characters, and their friends intertwined. Some hockey stuff, some drug stuff, and beer is often involved. Set in a fictional town in Ontario, some have more Newfie accents than Ontario.

Get through the first episode of “holy sh!t what the duck did Jag recommend for me?” and you’ll might enjoy it, cause I know it took maybe two to get me hooked. 

• Like 1

I'm all for improving the team, but the thought of Coleman being traded is absurd, and Palmieri as well.  I was wondering if any of our good fw's in Bingo would reap a decent D man. Greene /Zajac want to stay here. I'd like to see Brendon Dillon here.

I wish Mcleod was playing here in place of Hayden.  If we get way sh>tier, will start to see call ups

Not a fan of them not riding Blackwood hard for the rest of this year to see what the kid is destined to be.  Sounds like Domingue is going to see more than his share should be imo. But whatever I guess.

(and yeah I saw what I did, the entire coaching staff, front office and owners can ride Blackwood until they bleed)

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm all for improving the team, but the thought of Coleman being traded is absurd, and Palmieri as well.  I was wondering if any of our good fw's in Bingo would reap a decent D man. Greene /Zajac want to stay here. I'd like to see Brendon Dillon here.

I wish Mcleod was playing here in place of Hayden.  If we get way sh>tier, will start to see call ups

As much as I like both Coleman and Palmieri, they are likely not going to be part of the future of the team whether it be with Fitz or a new GM.

24 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Not a fan of them not riding Blackwood hard for the rest of this year to see what the kid is destined to be.  Sounds like Domingue is going to see more than his share should be imo. But whatever I guess.

(and yeah I saw what I did, the entire coaching staff, front office and owners can ride Blackwood until they bleed)

Agreed.  This team hasn't had consistent goaltending in a few seasons now, and Blackwood has looked very dependable in his first real season of action, so I think it's definitely time to make him the true #1 starter and allow him to settle in and find a groove.  No reason to keep juggling a 50-50 type split when you don't have to.  

20 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed.  This team hasn't had consistent goaltending in a few seasons now, and Blackwood has looked very dependable in his first real season of action, so I think it's definitely time to make him the true #1 starter and allow him to settle in and find a groove.  No reason to keep juggling a 50-50 type split when you don't have to.  

It's his first full season in the NHL, and he's been a bit beat up (and inconsistent, though not like he's been blessed with a great defense in front of him).  If the Devils want to give him, say, no more than 60% of the remaining starts for the rest of the season, I'm fine with that.  He currently has started 31 games (appeared in 35)...60% of the remaining of starts would give him 51 for the season.  Plenty of work for a kid stuck on a bad team.  He'll have gotten his feet plenty wet, and can hopefully continue to develop in the seasons to come (and handle more games).  I'm very hopeful with him. 

I stated at start of season I wanted 40 starts for Blackwood, so I'm totally fine if he doesn't start a ton of games to finish the season.

Next season, make him the starter and get a quality veteran backup, which is actually hard to find these days, and then play him a ton.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

The season is a wash so there's no reason to run Blackwood into the ground. He's played nearly twice as much as any other rookie goalie in the league. Overplaying him won't develop him any quicker. 

As for Coleman and Palms, if you get an offer you can't turn down, fine. But you need guys who can play too, especially guys who put in an effort like those two do. Otherwise we'll end up with a team of 20-25 year olds every year in the constantly rotating rebuild. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The season is a wash so there's no reason to run Blackwood into the ground. He's played nearly twice as much as any other rookie goalie in the league. Overplaying him won't develop him any quicker. 

As for Coleman and Palms, if you get an offer you can't turn down, fine. But you need guys who can play too, especially guys who put in an effort like those two do. Otherwise we'll end up with a team of 20-25 year olds every year in the constantly rotating rebuild. 

I agree with this and I neglected to mention this in my post earlier.  Naturally I don't want either to go for the sake of just going younger and I don't want to trade them for peanuts.

• Like 1

I think it's great you guys think he has nothing to prove and is a given solid number 1 going forward. Good luck with that. I would prefer to see him play the majority of the games by a pretty good margin. If we are worried about an injury he had lingering let's shelter the others that have been injured too. 

37 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I think it's great you guys think he has nothing to prove and is a given solid number 1 going forward. Good luck with that. I would prefer to see him play the majority of the games by a pretty good margin. If we are worried about an injury he had lingering let's shelter the others that have been injured too. 

Who in the world said he has nothing to prove and is already a number one? Its just about giving him a responsible workload in his first full season before we end up with the next Dan Blackburn. I already said he's playing more than any other rookie goalie by a large margin and should probably get more than half of the remaining starts

I’d rather Blackwood play a lot for the simple reason he’s more interesting to me to watch. Him and the rest of the kids. 

Makes sense not ride him too much though in a lost season. I just hope they’re not trying to decide if Dom is good enough to be the backup going forward. They absolutely have to bring in someone else in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

In my post, I had him getting about 51 starts total, and starting 60% of the games the rest of the way.  Not exactly chump change for a rookie goalie playing his first full season as an NHLer.  

Sorry, but in this case it looks like you read what you wanted to, and not what people were actually posting.  Like DD56 posted, I don’t think that the Devils are going to expedite his development by jacking up an already relatively heavy workload.  Guy will probably wind up starting more games than friggin’ Brodeur did in his rookie year (though Marty obviously played plenty in the playoffs).

54 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’d rather Blackwood play a lot for the simple reason he’s more interesting to me to watch. Him and the rest of the kids. 

Makes sense not ride him too much though in a lost season. I just hope they’re not trying to decide if Dom is good enough to be the backup going forward. They absolutely have to bring in someone else in the offseason. 

I think Dom is Not-Cory and strictly a temporary measure...a warm body in a season where it no longer matters how good the backup is.  He’ll have some good games here and there.  The GM that brought him in is gone.  Maybe he’s still in the system as depth next season, but I’ll be stunned if it’s as the Devils Plan A (or even Plan B ) backup.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

47 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This.

I see no reason to split time evenly between these two.  One you hope and pray is a solid #1 but hasn't proven it (having played less than 60 games in his career to date) and the other you're praying is at best maybe serviceable on a limited basis.