Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

All time worst trade proposal not on HF Boards comes from ESPN,

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28647793/nhl-trade-deadline-proposals-six-trade-suggestions-teams-needs

Dallas Stars get: C Blake Coleman, 2020 fifth-round pick
New Jersey Devils get: 2021 third-round pick, RW Joel L'Esperance, G Colton Point

The Stars are currently sitting in second place in the Central Division, but this isn't your Dallas team of a few years ago. No, this team rides and dies with its defense and the Vezina Trophy-caliber goaltending of Ben Bishop, not offensive prowess. In fact, the Stars' 2.64 goals per game ranks No. 26 in the NHL, and no player has more than 15 goals. Coleman isn't going to win the Rocket Richard or anything, but his 19 goals (and 41 over the past two seasons) would certainly help the scoring depth without breaking the bank.

The 28-year-old isn't worth a high pick, but with another season and a half under contract at just $1.8 million against the cap, he nets the Devils a third-round pick and some for their continued rebuild. L'Esperance (ranked as the Stars' No. 8 prospect in the preseason by our own Chris Peters) offers New Jersey's system another asset, and Point is a high-end goalie prospect for a team that really needs help there. Dallas wouldn't want to give up Jake Oettinger, especially with Bishop now 33 years old, but Point is expendable, has upside and checks a box for the Devils. -- Ben Arledge, NHL editor

Blake Coleman for two pieces of waiver fodder and a third-round pick next year.  Bravo, ESPN, bravo!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If we deal Vatanen I'm gonna be pissed.  This team isn't going anywhere next year if we lose him.  If Severson were more consistent I'd feel a little better, but because he's still a bit streaky, Vatanen is the only reliable D-man we have. Subban hasn't show much, Greene's on his way out, Carrick and Mueller are 7th-man guys, and Butcher has been pretty invisible.  Who knows what the deal is with Ty Smith.  So yeah, we need Vatanen.  

Assuming he's willing to sign, I agree with you. If he's not, why the hell would you NOT trade him??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

It makes sense to do them that way.  One is that it gets people in the arena early and forcing them to eat at their food stands.  Second, I remember the days of when there were giveaways for all but due to the Devils ever-present attendance struggles they would have a ton of leftovers.

Back around 2011 or 2012 timeframe, I actually did the in-arena game on the scoreboard the Enterprise Hockey Trivia.  I answered 3 questions right on the scoreboard during a TV timeout and won a "Devils Prize Pack."  What was in that prize pack?  Well it was literally about a half-dozen items that were giveaways of the past 2-3 seasons that they had a ton of extra.  yay.

The giveaway that drives me completely nuts is the WDHA "Player To Watch". Tonight's player is Sami Vatanen, call tomorrow morning and you win a signed Kyle Palmieri jersey. Why the hell don't you win the jersey of the Player To Watch?? I'm too OCD to tolerate that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Assuming he's willing to sign, I agree with you. If he's not, why the hell would you NOT trade him??

Yeah, absolutely agree - I didn't bother to mention it, because we really have no way of knowing if he does or doesn't want to.  Hell, even with Mr. Superstar Hall, where there was a ton of media attention, we really didn't even know if he wanted to stay.  Vats has been pretty much out of the spotlight, so I didn't think it was worth mentioning or speculating.  Frankly, and maybe this is just me, but I would assume most guys would WANT to re-sign with their current teams, unless we hear otherwise.  Again, maybe that's just me, but I personally wouldn't have any problem letting my thoughts known and being vocal about my potential plans for the future (if I had any).  I think it's possible to be dedicated to your current team and show up for work night in and night out, giving your maximum effort, while still thinking/expecting that you might be elsewhere at season's end. 

50 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Frankly, and maybe this is just me, but I would assume most guys would WANT to re-sign with their current teams, unless we hear otherwise. 

That’s completely wishful thinking, especially for a guy that landed here via trade and could easily get a good contract from a contending team. I wouldn’t assume silence on the issue means he wants to be back. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

The giveaway that drives me completely nuts is the WDHA "Player To Watch". Tonight's player is Sami Vatanen, call tomorrow morning and you win a signed Kyle Palmieri jersey. Why the hell don't you win the jersey of the Player To Watch?? I'm too OCD to tolerate that. 

I have always wondered about that.  I am at work at 9:20AM when they say to call and so I never do it.  Do you just call literally at 9:20 and say the guy's name or wait for them to mention it on the radio and then call?

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have always wondered about that.  I am at work at 9:20AM when they say to call and so I never do it.  Do you just call literally at 9:20 and say the guy's name or wait for them to mention it on the radio and then call?

I’ve never tried, nor paid attention to the rules. Too busy getting upset that the player doesn’t match the jersey. 

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28647793/nhl-trade-deadline-proposals-six-trade-suggestions-teams-needs

Blake Coleman for two pieces of waiver fodder and a third-round pick next year.  Bravo, ESPN, bravo!

Ya seemed like a garbage article to me too. How about this: Blake Coleman for Ben bishop, the deal is one for one 

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So say you're going to see, say... Joker in theatre... you buy a pop corn and pop and they give you a R2D2 shaped cup... that you wouldn't handle that too well?

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

I would be pissed if we traded Coleman

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So say you're going to see, say... Joker in theatre... you buy a pop corn and pop and they give you a R2D2 shaped cup... that you wouldn't handle that too well?

That wouldn’t make sense, but it wouldn’t be the same. 

If they had a Joker Trivia Contest and the prize was Star Wars merch, even though they had access to Joker merch, that would bother me. 

15 hours ago, mackchi said:

I am sooo turned off by the first 9k on all these giveaways. Another reason that soured me on the new owners. Way too corporate. No soul. No passion. Just bottom line guys. And that’s OK but they won’t get my money anymore. I love the team and the fact that it is our team, New Jersey on the logo but... these owners...

Lots of teams do the same thing, pretty sure the old owners did as well. I just show up earlier since it's only a few times a year. 

I took a few mins and some others in the division do the same or less so let's not pretend it's just our owners. I didn't even see anything listed for the Rangers for the rest of the season. 

Islanders...

vs. San Jose Sharks | Sun, Feb. 23 | The Barn | 5 p.m.

Join us as we honor the unsung heroes of our community for their tireless dedication and service. The first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive a free exclusive NYI beanie sponsored by Northwell Health®.

Flyers... 

Gritty window  cling giveaway (first 10,000 fans) 

Carolina... 

Schedule Magnet

vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | Sunday, Oct. 6, 5 p.m.

The first 5,000 fans in attendance will receive a 2019-20 season schedule magnet.

Whalers Night Trading Cards + Poster Giveaway

The first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive a pack of Upper Deck Whalers Night trading cards, while the first 7,500 fans will receive a commemorative Whalers Night poster (available at Section 108/109).

Hell under Jeff the promotional schedule really wasn't even that great looking back at it. The bobblehead and rings we got this year are nicer than anything on these lists but I guess member berries about how Jeff was such a good owner are nice?... 

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2009/9/5/1017082/new-jersey-devils-promotional

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2010/10/6/1734995/devils-promotional-schedule-released-some-thoughts-and-more

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2011/11/2/2533425/the-2011-2012-new-jersey-devils-promotional-schedule

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

I'm wondering if there will be an attempt tp resign Gusev? This is 1st year of  2 year. 

I don't want #20 traded. Great hockey player, versatile, gritty, a guy every team wishes they had.  

Do you still trade players even if they ask to stay? (Greene, Simmons)

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Simmonds absolutely. I’d have a hard time doing it to Greene after al the time he’s put in here. Ultimately I probably would still do it but I would feel bad. 

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Abso-freakin'-lutely. 

The Devils owe less than nothing to a guy like Simmonds.  They paid him a solid salary for his services (which he hasn't earned imo) and it's the team's right to trade him.

It's admittedly a little stickier with a guy like Greene.. captain.. long timer.. has the NTC.. they're probably stuck with him.  You can't really force him to waive his trade clause without it getting potentially really, really ugly.

Edited by Devilsfan118

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Abso-freakin'-lutely. 

The Devils owe less than nothing to a guy like Simmonds.  They paid him a solid salary for his services (which he hasn't earned imo) and it's the team's right to trade him.

It's admittedly a little stickier with a guy like Greene.. captain.. long timer.. has the NTC.. they're probably stuck with him.  You can't really force him to waive his trade clause without it getting potentially really, really ugly.

If a guy wants to be here, and doesn't have a NTC, I do everything in my power to see if there's a way to keep him that makes sense for our team. If it turns out he's just not the right fit, whether it's because of skill, age, cap hit, or what have you, then inevitably you have to do it because the team comes first, but I value loyalty from players, and in turn if I were a GM I'd try to reciprocate.  It's a two-way street in my opinion. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2020 at 3:17 AM, Satans Hockey said:

Lots of teams do the same thing, pretty sure the old owners did as well. I just show up earlier since it's only a few times a year. 

I took a few mins and some others in the division do the same or less so let's not pretend it's just our owners. I didn't even see anything listed for the Rangers for the rest of the season. 

Islanders...

vs. San Jose Sharks | Sun, Feb. 23 | The Barn | 5 p.m.

Join us as we honor the unsung heroes of our community for their tireless dedication and service. The first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive a free exclusive NYI beanie sponsored by Northwell Health®.

Flyers... 

Gritty window  cling giveaway (first 10,000 fans) 

Carolina... 

Schedule Magnet

vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | Sunday, Oct. 6, 5 p.m.

The first 5,000 fans in attendance will receive a 2019-20 season schedule magnet.

Whalers Night Trading Cards + Poster Giveaway

The first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive a pack of Upper Deck Whalers Night trading cards, while the first 7,500 fans will receive a commemorative Whalers Night poster (available at Section 108/109).

Hell under Jeff the promotional schedule really wasn't even that great looking back at it. The bobblehead and rings we got this year are nicer than anything on these lists but I guess member berries about how Jeff was such a good owner are nice?... 

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2009/9/5/1017082/new-jersey-devils-promotional

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2010/10/6/1734995/devils-promotional-schedule-released-some-thoughts-and-more

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2011/11/2/2533425/the-2011-2012-new-jersey-devils-promotional-schedule

Yikes 5 giveaway nights in 11-12 season.

That was also the season JVB had Devils employees auction off random crap they found in their storage units on the concourse at every home game.  He really was tight with money that year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yikes 5 giveaway nights in 11-12 season.

That was also the season JVB had Devils employees auction off random crap they found in their storage units on the concourse at every home game.  He really was tight with money that year.

If Brian Rolston was the equivalent of Roger Dorn, the player...

...then VBK was the equivalent of Roger Dorn, the owner.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Brian Rolston was the equivalent of Roger Dorn, the player...

...then VBK was the equivalent of Roger Dorn, the owner.

That was the only time in the last 25 years I was legit worried about the team in terms of both being in NJ and/or not being taken over by the NHL.  Apparently we were pretty close and JVB had to take that loan from Barroway just to make payroll.

Jeff might as well have been nice and all, but he was broke charlatan who was playing with another man's (Ray Chambers) money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That was the only time in the last 25 years I was legit worried about the team in terms of both being in NJ and/or not being taken over by the NHL.  Apparently we were pretty close and JVB had to take that loan from Barroway just to make payroll.

Jeff might as well have been nice and all, but he was broke charlatan who was playing with another man's (Ray Chambers) money.

Well yeah, been over that, VBK was indeed truly one of us.  He was a fan, just like us, and he didn't really have the kind of money one needs to own a team, just like us.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well yeah, been over that, VBK was indeed truly one of us.  He was a fan, just like us, and he didn't really have the kind of money one needs to own a team, just like us.  

If I recall, he did have the money, but then Lehman Brothers went belly-up, and well.... that was that.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

If I recall, he did have the money, but then Lehman Brothers went belly-up, and well.... that was that.

IIRC, before Lehman Bros. went belly-up, Jeff was "only" worth about $200M, which is pretty low for a NHL owner even for that time.  Apparently, it was Ray Chambers who was paying the bills (was a billionaire at the time) and Jeff was still operating on a decent budget until 2011 when Chambers made it known he was set to sell his 45-48% stake in the team and effectively cut off JVB's gravy-train.  That's when the penny-pitching really started and lead to the Barroway loan, etc. and eventual sale of the team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What DM84 just said...he summed it all up well.  Too bad, because I think JVB with a lot more money could've been a fine owner (if a little meddling)...I think he genuinely loved the team.  He just ran out of financial legs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speak for yourself!!

Ok, you can speak for me too lol. 

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2020 at 2:25 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

Was just going to say this.  Sure it's a little disappointing to limit the giveaways if you can't get there early, but it just makes too much sense from a business standpoint.  It's an incentive to get people in the door, and early, for reasons DM84 mentioned, and it's also a great point about the leftovers, which is sad, but unfortunately reality nonetheless. 

Understood BUT...advertising...which is what the give aways really are... is so excessive anyhow. How much is spent on the same rediculous Car commercials, bank commercials,  etc that is just throwing away crazy money. The give aways should be for all in attendance. So what if there are leftovers... that’s the nature of advertising.  It just seems to me to be penny wise and dollar foolish at the expense of the fans. They should limit the number of times we have to have every replay or update sponsored by someone. 
Don’t like the ownership. Lifeless. Passionless. Money grabbers. Just me. I still love the Devils and will always be a fan but the in game experience is so sterile.