Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

I just posted something similar in the latest GDT, but regarding Cory.. he's played very well in completely meaningless games before.  Recently.

It would not surprise me, at all, if he put up respectable numbers in the 5-10 games he's probably going to get down the stretch here.

I just hope Fitz isn't stupid enough to get fooled into thinking he's a viable option for next season.

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

I just posted something similar in the latest GDT, but regarding Cory.. he's played very well in completely meaningless games before.  Recently.

It would not surprise me, at all, if he put up respectable numbers in the 5-10 games he's probably going to get down the stretch here.

I just hope Fitz isn't stupid enough to get fooled into thinking he's a viable option for next season.

I can’t imagine, at this point, anyone will be fooled by anything Cory does, 

At least I hope not!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

HOORAY. 

Dammit all.

Gretchen Wieners has a better chance of making Fetch happen than the Devils do in EVER righting Cory.  Just stop.

• Like 3

I'm not sure why anyone cares at this point. Most of you were calling for a tank from October of last season. Same logic applies here, why on god's green earth would you overwork Blackwood just to finish in last place or close to it? These games this season no longer matter, so Cory getting half of them will have zero negative impact. 

Besides, Blackwood will still be getting at least 20-30 minutes of those nights when Cory gets pulled anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure why anyone cares at this point. Most of you were calling for a tank from October of last season. Same logic applies here, why on god's green earth would you overwork Blackwood just to finish in last place or close to it? These games this season no longer matter, so Cory getting half of them will have zero negative impact. 

Besides, Blackwood will still be getting at least 20-30 minutes of those nights when Cory gets pulled anyway. 

The bolded:  good one, heh heh.

Yeah, the games technically don't matter at this point, but after a while a player like Cory getting yet another undeserved chance at everyone else's expense just gets to be aggravating...the team is playing hard and their 14-10-5 record over their last 29 games, while far from spectacular, just feels like something to try to build off...why bring back the guy who seems to derail good feelings every time the Devils try to force him back into the fold?  I have nothing against Cory the person, but Cory the player is a loser now, and I really hate when losers get to keep on hanging around.  For me, it's not so much about overworking Blackwood...I would've just clenched my teeth and dealt with Cinco Domingo getting some games...as bad as he can be, he does turn in that occasional good game.  

Guess I'm just not into watching the Devils be god-awful down the stretch as another season winds down...even if that makes sense, as far as the 2020 draft goes.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

i'm fine with cory playing - who cares for this year.

the key is to not believe anything about it wrt next year. the devils must get another bonafide goaltender next year and will have to pay for it. greiss/halak/lehner - one of those need to be paired w/ blackwood if the devils are going to be at all competitive next year. you cannot literally throw away 1/2 your games because of goaltending before you even start the season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess I'm just not into watching the Devils be god-awful down the stretch as another season winds down...even if makes sense as far as the 2020 draft goes.   

I'm not either, but why wear out your rookie goalie when the end result will be one or more of: 1) fvcking up said rookie goalie physically, 2) fvcking up your draft position, or 3) still finishing dead last?

Not to mention, Domingue would have been equally bad. I mean the guy has 16 games as a Devil and already earned his forum nickname lol. 

3 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i'm fine with cory playing - who cares for this year.

the key is to not believe anything about it wrt next year. the devils must get another bonafide goaltender next year and will have to pay for it. greiss/halak/lehner - one of those need to be paired w/ blackwood if the devils are going to be at all competitive next year. you cannot literally throw away 1/2 your games because of goaltending before you even start the season.

Now THAT is a different matter entirely, and I agree 100% for next year. This year is already toast. 

Edited by mfitz804

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It would just be nice to watch games without a 50/50 chance of getting the doors blown off by the 15 minute mark of the 1st period. I know the games don't matter but damn tanking is getting old. A 65-35 split probably wouldn't murder Mac

It is what it is, but it really is a great way to tell your fans to eat poo. 

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dammit all.

Gretchen Wieners has a better chance of making Fetch happen than the Devils do in EVER righting Cory.  Just stop.

This reference is so fetch. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not either, but why wear out your rookie goalie when the end result will be one or more of: 1) fvcking up said rookie goalie physically, 2) fvcking up your draft position, or 3) still finishing dead last?

I didn't say to overuse Mac...I said that I'd just rather stick with Cinco Domingo as the other guy.  I get that it's a total toss-up, as to which one will be less worse, but I really REALLY don't need to see Cory with the big club anymore.  

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It would just be nice to watch games without a 50/50 chance of getting the doors blown off by the 15 minute mark of the 1st period. I know the games don't matter but damn tanking is getting old. 

Yeah, this...I don't need to see Cory give up a goal on the first shot he faces, and the team deflating before I've even settled in to watch.  I'm just tired of that, when Cory starts.  

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It would just be nice to watch games without a 50/50 chance of getting the doors blown off by the 15 minute mark of the 1st period. I know the games don't matter but damn tanking is getting old. A 65-35 split probably wouldn't murder Mac

It is what it is, but it really is a great way to tell your fans to eat poo. 

There's 22 games left. 65-35 means 14 for Blackwood, 8 for Schneids. That gives Blackwood 56 games played for the season, plus whichever of Cory's 8 he has to come into. 

i think those are all workable numbers. but if its 50-50 and Blackwood gets 11 instead of 14, that's pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, it won't improve the team, won't show he's any more ready to take on a bigger workload, but it also won't wear him out if he plays 14 instead of 11. 

TL;DR: Cory still sucks. 

11 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Yeah I posted a similar sentiment...get a reliable vet here.  Devils can pay a bit for one too...Mac is a RFA this season, but this contract should be very reasonable (guessing it will be for 3-4 years)...provided he can continue to develop, he will be extremely cost-effective.  

• Like 1

We already are missing the playoffs and if past drafts and us winning a few lottos hasn't shown that you don't need to lose every game to win the draft lotto idk what does.

Play Mac the majority of the games and give Cory the games against the bad teams. We have 4 sets of back to backs left so he's at least getting that many based on that alone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

We already are missing the playoffs and if past drafts and us winning a few lottos hasn't shown that you don't need to lose every game to win the draft lotto idk what does.

Play Mac the majority of the games and give Cory the games against the bad teams. We have 4 sets of back to backs left so he's at least getting that many based on that alone. 

This seems to make the most sense to me rather than playing Blackwood against the weaker teams.  The kid has to continue to prove he's the real deal or this team is fvcked even more. I don't see the least bit of a concern that he can be overworked down the stretch, He's a 23 year old trying to prove he's a #1.  His off season will be as long as it gets he'll have months to recover from this season.  The only thing this team owes Cory is another 12M after this season.  Looking at Capfriendly and seeing us on the bottom with over 32M in cap space stings. Especially when you factor in a lot of the money they are spending is on Cory, PK, Simmonds.  

• Like 2

I don’t care about Cory playing over Dom, but it worries me he’ll do just enough to tease us yet again, and Fitz or whoever will think he’s worth bringing back next season. If you think he’s completely done in the NHL, I see absolutely no reason to make this move. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t care about Cory playing over Dom, but it worries me he’ll do just enough to tease us yet again, and Fitz or whoever will think he’s worth bringing back next season. If you think he’s completely done in the NHL, I see absolutely no reason to make this move. 

This season is a lost cause. No way in hell a new group of coaches/Fitz/Ownership will let anyone play him more next year.