Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

The above is incorrect....Hall's been there for 35 games now.  Yotes are 14-17-4 in his time there.  

Interesting that TSN (and surely others) are starting to point this out.  Like I said in another thread, I think it's more about wrong-place-wrong-time for Hall, than it is his presence somehow screwing up two different teams...if there's a knock on him, it's that 16 goals in 65 GP this season simply aren't enough (and he's only managed 27 in 98 GP since the start of last year).  He's reverted back to being that guy who gets chances (often loud ones) but simply doesn't finish enough...his shooting%s the last 6 seasons:  8.9, 9.1, 8.4, 14.0 (guess which season that was), 9.7, and 6.9.  He's probably had some bad puck luck this year, but when the team that acquires you to make a run winds up sliding out of a playoff berth once you arrive...no one wants to hear about bad puck luck.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The above is incorrect....Hall's been there for 35 games now.  Yotes are 14-17-4 in his time there.  

Interesting that TSN (and surely others) are starting to point this out.  Like I said in another thread, I think it's more about wrong-place-wrong-time for Hall, than it is his presence somehow screwing up two different teams...if there's a knock on him, it's that 16 goals in 65 GP this season simply aren't enough (and he's only managed 27 in 98 GP since the start of last year).  He's reverted back to being that guy who gets chances (often loud ones) but simply doesn't finish enough...his shooting%s the last 6 seasons:  8.9, 9.1, 8.4, 14.0 (guess which season that was), 9.7, and 6.9.  He's probably had some bad puck luck this year, but when the team that acquires you to make a run winds up sliding out of a playoff berth once you arrive...no one wants to hear about bad puck luck.

Well it's not that it was incorrect it's more that it was dated lol

• 2 months later...

So, what the hell I figured I'd bump this thread with the following question.  Hope it hasn't already been beaten to death elsewhere.

Who would you like to see as captain on opening night of the 2020-2021 season?

For me, it's Nico or bust.  I get a case for Zajac or Palmieri perhaps.  I can't really imagine it going to anyone else.

Thoughts?

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, what the hell I figured I'd bump this thread with the following question.  Hope it hasn't already been beaten to death elsewhere.

For me, it's Nico or bust.  I get a case for Zajac or Palmieri perhaps.  I can't really imagine it going to anyone else.

Thoughts?

I think that about covers it, BUT, it also depends on when we hire a coach (if we don’t keep Nas). Sometimes they wait to see who steps up and we have no captain for a while. 

Naming Zajac as captain for the year while you figure that out probably makes the most sense. 

Aside from that, Nico or Palms do make sense. I don’t know what the new coach will be looking for in terms of leadership from his new captain, if anything. 

Palms makes sense as a guy who has been here, wants to be here, is from here, etc. But Nico’s the future, and Palms may not last the season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Thoughts?

Nico. He’s young, one of our best players, is signed to a long term contract, and will make a great face of the franchise (hopefully along with Jack in a few years). It’s a no-brainer. He really stepped up after Hall was traded, too. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Thoughts?

Nico.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

*shudder*

The day Pierre McGuire becomes our GM is the day I stop watching hockey for life. Even if its just a bullsh!t rumor, these owners are worrying me now.

Not to mention the fact that my first thought was "sh!t." when my NBA2K character got drafted by the 76ers after picking it up this week. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Pierre would have gotten more for Hall.

#Changemymind

Can’t tell if serious or not...

but I’ll bite. We’re about to end up with a top 10 pick in one of the better drafts in recent years, a possible future top 4 defenseman who’s going to bring some much needed size and grit to our blue line, and Nick Merkley who looks like he could be a decent middle 6 forward. All for 35 games of Taylor Hall. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Can’t tell if serious or not...

but I’ll bite. We’re about to end up with a top 10 pick in one of the better drafts in recent years, a possible future top 4 defenseman who’s going to bring some much needed size and grit to our blue line, and Nick Merkley who looks like he could be a decent middle 6 forward. All for 35 games of Taylor Hall. 

We added a top 10 pick that is still a gamble with a scouting staff that has yet to prove themselves, a player who a lot of Devils fans are hoping would be a top 4 D-man (while most experts are pegging him lower) but is maybe the 5th best prospect in the Coyotes system, and a bunch of spare parts.  

There have been teams that get more for rentals at the deadline than what we get for Hall.  

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

We added a top 10 pick that is still a gamble with a scouting staff that has yet to prove themselves, a player who a lot of Devils fans are hoping would be a top 4 D-man (while most experts are pegging him lower) but is maybe the 5th best prospect in the Coyotes system, and a bunch of spare parts.  

There have been teams that get more for rentals at the deadline than what we get for Hall.  

A top 10 pick is a top 10 pick. Worrying about what they do with it doesn’t diminish its value. 

Idk where you’re getting these expert projections on Bahl, but this is where all the big guys had him ranked going into his draft class:

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #68 by ISS Hockey

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #34 by Future Considerations

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #42 by Hockeyprospect.com

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #58 by McKeen's Hockey

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #47 by TSN/McKenzie

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #29 by NHL Central Scouting

So NHL Central Scouting even had a 1st round grade on him, and 3 others had him in the top 50. Seems like a higher ceiling than 3rd pairing to me. And “spare part” Nick Merkley is a former 1st round pick who looked very promising in the handful of games we saw him in, and is only 22. 

• Like 2

Unfortunate news about Cory :)

as for captain, no need to even name one next season. Eventually if things continue to progress Nico would appear to be the logical choice but I don't think he's there yet. Honestly I don't think there's truly  really all that much value in it on the ice or in the room,  it's more symbolic than anything.  I think the odds are the team is going to be marginally better but still pretty bad  so why saddle Nico with the added pressure?  Guys are either leaders or not with or without the letter "C" on their sweaters.  Off the ice it would definitely help sell jerseys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

Unfortunate news about Cory :)

as for captain, no need to even name one next season. Eventually if things continue to progress Nico would appear to be the logical choice but I don't think he's there yet. Honestly I don't think there's truly  really all that much value in it on the ice or in the room,  it's more symbolic than anything.  I think the odds are the team is going to be marginally better but still pretty bad  so why saddle Nico with the added pressure?  Guys are either leaders or not with or without the letter "C" on their sweaters.  Off the ice it would definitely help sell jerseys. 

I wonder if a few really good players turned down captaincy? Not on our team, but others. You know Nico would do it. One more Swiss born Captain the NHL

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

Honestly I don't think there's truly  really all that much value in it on the ice or in the room,  it's more symbolic than anything.  I think the odds are the team is going to be marginally better but still pretty bad  so why saddle Nico with the added pressure?  

Aren’t those two statements a bit inconsistent?

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Then I guess the Devils will have to plan on buying him out.

There's no other way around it, unless you can find a GM stupid enough to take him off our hands without having to add a major sweetener.

I don't think Cory can be part of this franchise come next season.