Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

3 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

It shouldn't be nuts. It takes a long time to build a foundation. I think Ray was happy with where we were, made some bets, and they didn't work out - and you could argue - yeah we're setting the rebuild back - but whatever. We have assets to trade that we didn't have when he took over -so let's see where things go. it's a long shot - but at somepoint the players from 2016/17/18 drafts will put up or shut up. Mix that up with Hischier/Hughes/Smith/20201st as top end talent to lead the team forward - we'll see.

To build any foundation - arguably you need a great starting goaltender, 1 great center, 1 very good center, and 2 top defenseman. No one, largely, doesn't give that to you for nothing - and you have to draft them. Which means sucking. We're not sure what 29 is yet, but we do know he's an above average NHL goaltender - could be really solid. We have the developing centers, and the defensemen is the trick that we need.

How long is 'a long time'?  It's been the better part of a decade now - when should we expect a proper foundation to be established?  Our core outside of two first overall picks that we lucked into looks like it could go either way at this point.  I'm crossing my fingers that Zacha (in b4 someone reminds me how old he is) actually becomes something but I think that ship has sailed - same almost goes for McLeod but he obviously deserves a bit more time.

At what point do we begin to hold Shero accountable for the lack of visible progress here?  The defense is no better than when he took over, and the goaltending is questionable at best.  I think Blackwood has a legit shot to become a reliable starter but there's nothing worth discussing behind him, is there?

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 12:41 PM, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i mean... obviously i'm not saying its his fault and i don't care how good he can be in the locker room. In the NHL you need a true leader with the C, who's gonna go out and get results and also able to rally the guys and inspire them. 

There's no way the boys are watching at Greene play and go like "man i want to be like him and i'd go through a wall for him" lol

I've never been sold on Greene as a captain. He just seems like a bit of a dopey leader to me. Probably better suited as an assistant captain. 

He's in that role because there isn't anyone better qualified I guess. IMO this team has a shortage of quality veteran leadership and that is a real issue

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I've never been sold on Greene as a captain. He just seems like a bit of a dopey leader to me. Probably better suited as an assistant captain. 

He's in that role because there isn't anyone better qualified I guess. IMO this team has a shortage of quality veteran leadership and that is a real issue

At the time I think the Devils just wanted stability when it came to the captaincy. Elias getting stripped of it for Langs, then Langs getting pouty and leaving. Then Zach was captain and left, and then Sal was captain and had to retire. I really believed Hall was the heir apparent for a while but now I don't know if there's anyone who can really take it yet.

Nico seems like he'll be a great on-ice leader eventually. And Hughes will be something special sooner than later. 

11 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Hell maybe things are possibly looking up after-all.  There's a sucker born every day, right? I'll believe it when I see it.

There was reportedly a couple other teams going hard for him when we made the trade, but none other than us were wiling to take the entire contract on. If we retain some of the money I could see a deal getting done with one of those potential teams. It will start to add up paying for all these guys not on the team anymore (Cory, Hall, PK) but maybe we could at least get some prospects and or picks back. 

Edited by Nicomo

Just now, Nicomo said:

There was reportedly a couple other teams going hard for him when we made the trade, but none other than us were wiling to tee the entire contract on. If we retain some of the money I could see a deal getting done with one of those potential teams. It will start to add up paying for all these guys not on the team anymore (Cory, Hall, PK) but maybe we could at least get some prospects and or picks back. 

yes- hoping so.  Just have to wonder who still looks at him as a missing piece to their puzzle and how much would they pay to have him.

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

There was reportedly a couple other teams going hard for him when we made the trade, but none other than us were wiling to take the entire contract on. If we retain some of the money I could see a deal getting done with one of those potential teams. It will start to add up paying for all these guys not on the team anymore (Cory, Hall, PK) but maybe we could at least get some prospects and or picks back. 

It doesn’t matter for Hall past this season.  And pretty much everything must have been planned with at least the possibility that Hall would get an extension of $11 million AAV.  So the Devils could probably retain almost half of PK’s salary and it shouldn’t affect whatever they were hoping to do roster wise.  

My guess is that Toronto would be interested if we take back Codi Ceci.  Not sure what else they would give us though.  I don’t see the need to just get rid of PK for its own sake at least not right now anyway.

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah we all knew going in the season that 3 things had to go right... Cory, Hall and PK.... and none went right... so if we can get rid of those and focus on surrounding Hughes and Nico with prospects around their age, that's the way to go

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Who is that guy? The twitter, not tthe $9m defender I lost my mind over when we got and hasn't filled the bill yet....

Randy Timmins has Numerous contacts around league. Provide rumors, news, infos. Father of 2!

^ this answer is funnier than it may seem

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

It doesn’t matter for Hall past this season.  And pretty much everything must have been planned with at least the possibility that Hall would get an extension of $11 million AAV.  So the Devils could probably retain almost half of PK’s salary and it shouldn’t affect whatever they were hoping to do roster wise.  

My guess is that Toronto would be interested if we take back Codi Ceci.  Not sure what else they would give us though.  I don’t see the need to just get rid of PK for its own sake at least not right now anyway.

I tend to agree, his value is real low right now and will get better as time left on his contract reduces, we'd get worked on a trade now and don't have a cap crunch at all. I'd rather let some time go by and see where he is at with some competent coaching first.

9 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

According to his fiancée's IG, looks like PK is sick.  Wonder if he will be in the lineup tomorrow since there has been a bad flu bug going through the Devils locker room the past couple of weeks.

Maybe he has had the flu since October, that would explain a lot

My take on the holes on the Devils:

GM - need a GM with an attitude who expects the best from his players, doesnt matter how bad the team is, Shero seems to be ok with tanking

Coach - one with a fire, hope Peter Laviolette becomes available and also hope he'd be the right fit

Goalie - definitely need an elite goalkeeper, cant blame Shero here as Schneider just became a flopping bust, even Evan Cormier has better stats then Schneider in the AHL. Hope Mackenzie pans out, he is already outperforming expectations.

Defensemen - this is the second piece of the team puzzle, we need big Dmen who play with a mean streak. Subban hasnt quite fulfilled his role, hopefully he picks up. The other Dmen are also not the answer. We need 2 top 2 dmen, if Subban pans out, then we will need one more.

Forwards - need grit, strength and size, Maroon type players.

1 minute ago, Anhkheg said:

My take on the holes on the Devils:

GM - need a GM with an attitude who expects the best from his players, doesnt matter how bad the team is, Shero seems to be ok with tanking

Coach - one with a fire, hope Peter Laviolette becomes available and also hope he'd be the right fit

Goalie - definitely need an elite goalkeeper, cant blame Shero here as Schneider just became a flopping bust, even Evan Cormier has better stats then Schneider in the AHL. Hope Mackenzie pans out, he is already outperforming expectations.

Defensemen - this is the second piece of the team puzzle, we need big Dmen who play with a mean streak. Subban hasnt quite fulfilled his role, hopefully he picks up. The other Dmen are also not the answer. We need 2 top 2 dmen, if Subban pans out, then we will need one more.

Forwards - need grit, strength and size, Maroon type players.

TL;DR We need coaching, a goalie, defense and forwards. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Crazy that Subban could end up being traded a few months after all that pomp and circumstance and that big introductory press conference.....

Tradeable assets IMO:

Forwards: Woods, Simmonds, honorable mentions Hayden and Rooney

Defense: Vatanen, Subban, Greene (I am pretty sure he will waive to play for a playoff team)

Goalie: Schneider