Jump to content
Neb00rs

Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think I am done defending PK at this point.  Guy needs to put up or shut up.  I won't shed a tear if we happen to pull off a miracle and trade him sooner rather than later.

This is basically how I feel as well.  If he doesn't improve from what he's shown so far, then at least we only have him for two more years.  But, we know what his ceiling has been in the past, and if he can somehow get back to that, then I'm fine with keeping him around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the good and bad and the indifferent from this email just sent out about renewals that are coming tomorrow...

Good... 

No price increases for next season

We can lock these current prices for the next 2 seasons if we wish. I renew almost every year but I'm not sure I want to lock myself into it for 2 years no matter what. 

Store discount goes from 10% to 20%

The slogan for next year looks like "the black and red" the logo is a red banner wrapped around the state of NJ that says those words. Its simple and beats the hell out of "we are the ones"

The bad... 

Im going to wait on this one before I fully complain cause I'm hoping its wrong but it looks like the pay per month interest free is only for those who lock themselves into the next 2 seasons. I've been doing the 12 months interest free for awhile now and this isn't a benefit that should be taken away. I'm hoping this was just a miscommunication in the email and there are options for interest free payment plans or at least payment plans of some nature. There is no excuse for the team needing my full amount of money in February when next season doesn't start till October.

No discount on food and beverages at the arena. I've been suggesting this or fan friendly prices to them for years now. I'll continute to not spend any money at the concession stands until they change their ways. 

the indifferent...

There is a new program in addition to the buybacks that will allow us to swap up to 6 games that we can't attend for additional tickets to other games. I don't have much need for this since it's hard enough as it is to sell tickets to games but I'm sure it will benefit some people.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

So the good and bad and the indifferent from this email just sent out about renewals that are coming tomorrow...

Good... 

No price increases for next season

We can lock these current prices for the next 2 seasons if we wish. I renew almost every year but I'm not sure I want to lock myself into it for 2 years no matter what. 

Store discount goes from 10% to 20%

The slogan for next year looks like "the black and red" the logo is a red banner wrapped around the state of NJ that says those words. Its simple and beats the hell out of "we are the ones"

The bad... 

Im going to wait on this one before I fully complain cause I'm hoping its wrong but it looks like the pay per month interest free is only for those who lock themselves into the next 2 seasons. I've been doing the 12 months interest free for awhile now and this isn't a benefit that should be taken away. I'm hoping this was just a miscommunication in the email and there are options for interest free payment plans or at least payment plans of some nature. There is no excuse for the team needing my full amount of money in February when next season doesn't start till October.

No discount on food and beverages at the arena. I've been suggesting this or fan friendly prices to them for years now. I'll continute to not spend any money at the concession stands until they change their ways. 

the indifferent...

There is a new program in addition to the buybacks that will allow us to swap up to 6 games that we can't attend for additional tickets to other games. I don't have much need for this since it's hard enough as it is to sell tickets to games but I'm sure it will benefit some people.

yeah - not nearly enough to get me to renew. first time i'm not renewing full seasons in 20+ years. i'll do some sort of flex package for maybe 8 games but i can't in good conscience do another full season when i'm struggling to go to even 30 games and they're just not good.

if they gave me $500 merch credit and 30% discount and perhaps $1k food/beverage, i might consider it but still probably wouldn't.

i haven't been able to do any of the STH perks like meet and greets and stuff so i'm not even getting that benefit.

too many years of uninteresting losing hockey has finally taken its toll.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

yeah - not nearly enough to get me to renew. first time i'm not renewing full seasons in 20+ years. i'll do some sort of flex package for maybe 8 games but i can't in good conscience do another full season when i'm struggling to go to even 30 games and they're just not good.

if they gave me $500 merch credit and 30% discount and perhaps $1k food/beverage, i might consider it but still probably wouldn't.

i haven't been able to do any of the STH perks like meet and greets and stuff so i'm not even getting that benefit.

too many years of uninteresting losing hockey has finally taken its toll.

Your last comment summed it up for me as well. The losing has turned me off to going as a season ticket holder. Plus the value of my tickets are basically 0 for a lot of games.  I'll sell any game that has any value at this point just to not go. 20% discount on overpriced merch doesn't do anything for me and no way I'd commit to 2 years right now for many reasons. Plus if you commit now for 2 years, what happens if they tear it fully down at the end of this month? You're stuck for 2 years seeing a team that might be worse than the last 2 years.

I'll be content buying cheap Tix from others and will go to games where free ticket vouchers will be handed out. Seems a lot better right now than getting season tickets again.

Edited by devils744
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even think 20% off merch is a great deal. Red Bulls give 25% and have been doing so for years when the Devils have been at 10% for years.

Tampa Bay gives 35% off merch and they give 25% off concessions including alcohol.

Tampa Bay was 5th in attendance last season. Sure they had an awesome team but they have been having great attendance for a long time now and the discounts they give above is a huge part of the reason.

The Devils need to realize that market wise they aren't anywhere near as big as they act like they are and reward people for committing to a lot of money and possibly a horrible season(or several) 

They need to be more like Tampa Bay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same epiphany two years ago and even wrote told and wrote to my team rep. I was a STH 10+ yrs. There is something just not right with this ownership. Way to corporate for me. No soul. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sundstrom said:

yeah - not nearly enough to get me to renew. first time i'm not renewing full seasons in 20+ years. i'll do some sort of flex package for maybe 8 games but i can't in good conscience do another full season when i'm struggling to go to even 30 games and they're just not good.

if they gave me $500 merch credit and 30% discount and perhaps $1k food/beverage, i might consider it but still probably wouldn't.

i haven't been able to do any of the STH perks like meet and greets and stuff so i'm not even getting that benefit.

too many years of uninteresting losing hockey has finally taken its toll.

I'll admit having no idea what people spend on season tickets, but expecting $1500 in credits PLUS a 30% discount on certain levels of tickets seems a bit steep to me. 

They should probably just let a STH make the lines each night, couldn't be much worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'll admit having no idea what people spend on season tickets, but expecting $1500 in credits PLUS a 30% discount on certain levels of tickets seems a bit steep to me. 

They should probably just let a STH make the lines each night, couldn't be much worse. 

when you're spending $13k on tickets and parking it's not that much of an ask actually. at one time, we did get either $500 merch credit or $1k food/beverage credit + 10% off merch.

like i said - there's just very little incentive to be a STH anymore with how cheap and easy secondary tickets are and what little they provide to STH anymore. The product on the ice is just not worth it and my life has changed enough as my kids have gotten older where its hard to make it to the 35+ games i used to. i can't justify it anymore.

the plusses are that i've had the same seats since the building opened and when they made the playoffs, you knew you were getting your seats without an issue. i used to go to all the events like skate with the players and autograph sessions. those were good perks for me once upon a time but now they're not.

it's not anything with ownership - we've read constantly how the devils have the highest comp tickets in the league so they're not afraid to just get people in the building to get in arena revenue and a better atmosphere. if they were winning and making the playoffs, that would almost assuredly be enough for me to renew even without the extra perks. but they're not so I'll pass.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having Devils season tickets has been pretty much a big labor of love for their holders for the past 10-15 years.  With the rise of secondary marketplaces such as Stubhub and the fact that the Devils themselves giveaway a ton of tickets for each game pretty much destroys whatever value the tickets have.  At this point if the holder cannot make a game they will take a huge hit unless it is a once-a-season special night (like the 2000 cup anniversary game the other day) or against the Rangers.

I get calls from Devils ticket reps all the time.  Even 4-game ticket packages don't entice me because at least 3 of them I will be overpaying for and the "benefits" they bring whether it be a meet and greet or some sort of tchotchke isn't really attractive to me.  I tell the reps every time that the only way I will even think about season tickets is if they can match stubhub prices for each game and give me the same number of free games they give to the general public.  That pretty much ends the convo right there.

As an aside, the Devils really need to adopt the concession pricing that they have at the Falcon's stadium down in Atlanta.  That and they need to improve the food at the Rock.  The food is the pits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

when you're spending $13k on tickets and parking it's not that much of an ask actually. at one time, we did get either $500 merch credit or $1k food/beverage credit + 10% off merch.

At that cost, yeah, it’s probably fair.

And yes, the concessions at the arena are awful. Probably the worst at any arena or stadium have ever been at. And I have pretty low junk food standards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

At that cost, yeah, it’s probably fair.

And yes, the concessions at the arena are awful. Probably the worst at any arena or stadium have ever been at. And I have pretty low junk food standards.

 

The other problem is that a lot of the restaurants right next to the arena are not a whole lot better.  Mercato is probably the best of the bunch.  EAH went downhill the past 3-4 years and Dino BBQ can fvck off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try this exercise. Pick your favorite food to buy at the arena. Then think of the cheapest place to buy it outside the arena. Then compare which one you think is better.

Example, burger and fries. You can get a burger and fries at Wendy’s for about two bucks. Which burger and fries are better, Wendy’s, or at the Rock?

I did this with a few items, and could not think of one thing I have eaten at the arena that isn’t better at the cheapest place to get it outside the arena. That’s bad. 

I am not arguing that the cost should be the same, although the Falcons do seem to have figured that out. I’m just saying, the cheapest place should, in theory, also be the lowest quality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Try this exercise. Pick your favorite food to buy at the arena. Then think of the cheapest place to buy it outside the arena. Then compare which one you think is better.

Example, burger and fries. You can get a burger and fries at Wendy’s for about two bucks. Which burger and fries are better, Wendy’s, or at the Rock?

I did this with a few items, and could not think of one thing I have eaten at the arena that isn’t better at the cheapest place to get it outside the arena. That’s bad. 

I am not arguing that the cost should be the same, although the Falcons do seem to have figured that out. I’m just saying, the cheapest place should, in theory, also be the lowest quality.

You are 100% right and nothing is as bad as the arena quality-wise.  Adding in the dollar amounts just makes it even worse.

I thought Legends was supposed to make the food better when they came in.  It was slightly better the first year but since then it has been a 4-5 year slide down into putridness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The other problem is that a lot of the restaurants right next to the arena are not a whole lot better.  Mercato is probably the best of the bunch.  EAH went downhill the past 3-4 years and Dino BBQ can fvck off.

That Dino BBQ was terrible the one time we went there. My wife liked the one she ate at in upstate NY a lot when she was in the army, so we were surprised it was so bad. 

I want to try Hobby’s next time we make it to NJ.  Food always looks good on the commercial lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Having Devils season tickets has been pretty much a big labor of love for their holders for the past 10-15 years.  With the rise of secondary marketplaces such as Stubhub and the fact that the Devils themselves giveaway a ton of tickets for each game pretty much destroys whatever value the tickets have.  At this point if the holder cannot make a game they will take a huge hit unless it is a once-a-season special night (like the 2000 cup anniversary game the other day) or against the Rangers.

I get calls from Devils ticket reps all the time.  Even 4-game ticket packages don't entice me because at least 3 of them I will be overpaying for and the "benefits" they bring whether it be a meet and greet or some sort of tchotchke isn't really attractive to me.  I tell the reps every time that the only way I will even think about season tickets is if they can match stubhub prices for each game and give me the same number of free games they give to the general public.  That pretty much ends the convo right there.

As an aside, the Devils really need to adopt the concession pricing that they have at the Falcon's stadium down in Atlanta.  That and they need to improve the food at the Rock.  The food is the pits.

The one saving grace is that some teams, Rangers, flyers maybe Pittsburgh and some other nights I can actually sell off for face value here and there and combined with the 8 buybacks makes it a lot more reasonable. 

Could I get in for cheaper most of the  nights? Oh absolutely but I love my seats and I like the people around me and it's my one really large "expense" every year so I really don't mind. I have friends who spend more on going out to eat and drink every weekend than I ever spend on my Devils season seats though so it's really all about situations / perspective. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't even think 20% off merch is a great deal. Red Bulls give 25% and have been doing so for years when the Devils have been at 10% for years.

Tampa Bay gives 35% off merch and they give 25% off concessions including alcohol.

Tampa Bay was 5th in attendance last season. Sure they had an awesome team but they have been having great attendance for a long time now and the discounts they give above is a huge part of the reason.

The Devils need to realize that market wise they aren't anywhere near as big as they act like they are and reward people for committing to a lot of money and possibly a horrible season(or several) 

They need to be more like Tampa Bay.

well i think it's easier for tampa to do when they have a solid team, good attendance and no state tax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Could I get in for cheaper most of the  nights? Oh absolutely but I love my seats and I like the people around me and it's my one really large "expense" every year so I really don't mind. I have friends who spend more on going out to eat and drink every weekend than I ever spend on my Devils season seats though so it's really all about situations / perspective. 

Everything I have seen from reading about STHs here and watching STHs at the arena goes along with this, there’s more than just attending the games that goes into it, it’s the experience. 

I don’t think a lot of people are signing up as a money-saving opportunity, and I’m sure just being in the arena winds up costing STHs (as it does for everyone, just not on the same scale) even more money in the long run. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting thing that last three seasons our team was the sсorest team in all decade, and most... most goals against.

Time to fix our defense and find good second goalie on short term. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That Dino BBQ was terrible the one time we went there. My wife liked the one she ate at in upstate NY a lot when she was in the army, so we were surprised it was so bad. 

I want to try Hobby’s next time we make it to NJ.  Food always looks good on the commercial lol

I have been to Dino BBQ 3 times and it was three strikes and they're out.  I haven't been there since the 17-18 season and I don't plan on going back.  The portions are small, the BBQ is average at best, the sides suck and the service is absolutely terrible.

I keep hearing that the other Dino BBQ locations are really good and that the Newark one is sort of the black sheep.  That may indeed be the case but I am still surprised when people describe the Newark location as "awesome."

I gotta try Hobby's too.  I still have yet to go there which is a shame.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The one saving grace is that some teams, Rangers, flyers maybe Pittsburgh and some other nights I can actually sell off for face value here and there and combined with the 8 buybacks makes it a lot more reasonable. 

Could I get in for cheaper most of the  nights? Oh absolutely but I love my seats and I like the people around me and it's my one really large "expense" every year so I really don't mind. I have friends who spend more on going out to eat and drink every weekend than I ever spend on my Devils season seats though so it's really all about situations / perspective. 

That's probably the greatest pull for me to ever buy season tickets.  The rest I couldn't really care any less about them.

For me getting to the arena is still a chore.  I have been driving in almost exclusively after finally giving up on the trains with their sh!tty schedules and ever-increasing fares (round trip from Somerville to Newark is now something like $22 per person).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's probably the greatest pull for me to ever buy season tickets.  The rest I couldn't really care any less about them.

For me getting to the arena is still a chore.  I have been driving in almost exclusively after finally giving up on the trains with their sh!tty schedules and ever-increasing fares (round trip from Somerville to Newark is now something like $22 per person).

Absolutely, if I had horrid people around me every game I'd either end up moving or just canceling. Thankfully it's mainly season ticket holders around me and while we do end up with a moron or an annoying visiting team fan it's really only once in awhile and nothing of a normal occurrence. Some of the people sitting around me now have been there for almost a decade now so you end up becoming actual friends with some of them as well. 

Travel wise I have it way easier than most and I can get to and get home from the games extremely easy but I always drive. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have been to Dino BBQ 3 times and it was three strikes and they're out.  I haven't been there since the 17-18 season and I don't plan on going back.  The portions are small, the BBQ is average at best, the sides suck and the service is absolutely terrible.

I keep hearing that the other Dino BBQ locations are really good and that the Newark one is sort of the black sheep.  That may indeed be the case but I am still surprised when people describe the Newark location as "awesome."

I gotta try Hobby's too.  I still have yet to go there which is a shame.

I went once and didn't care for Dino either, I don't really like any of those restaurants. I think Mercato is just ok but not worth going to on a normal basis, the Raman place was rather bad. 

I like Hobby's but I've only been there once. I usually eat at home before the games the vast majority of the time so I really don't go out to eat much. I enjoy the Portuguese restaurants in the Iron bound section way more than anything that's directly near the arena. 

There's a seafood restaurant called just beclaws that opened awhile back on the corner of broad and Lafayette that always looks empty, that spot has had a few places fail and I won't be surprised if this one does as well. 

I forgot the name but there's gonna be I think it was a soul food type restaurant that's gonna open up with an ihop next to it on broad thats gonna be on the bottom floor of what looks like a new big apartment building. 

Also looks like what I think is a giant parking deck being built on Mulberry but I haven't walked over that way in awhile so I'm not sure if that's exactly what it is or if it's gonna be more. 

It's crazy how much the area has really changed since the buildings open. I still love it way more than having to go to the Meadowlands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So several people on FB are claiming they saw a commercial/promo from the last game that the Devils are giving away some sort of 25th anniversary banner to the first 9K fans for the 2/13 game.  Anyone else know about or can confirm this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So several people on FB are claiming they saw a commercial/promo from the last game that the Devils are giving away some sort of 25th anniversary banner to the first 9K fans for the 2/13 game.  Anyone else know about or can confirm this?

Most of those people are morons and it's not listed on the giveaways and it's the first I've heard of it... 

https://www.nhl.com/devils/tickets/theme-nights

I have the game on my dvr so I'll browse and take a look as well 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.