Neb00rs

Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So several people on FB are claiming they saw a commercial/promo from the last game that the Devils are giving away some sort of 25th anniversary banner to the first 9K fans for the 2/13 game.  Anyone else know about or can confirm this?

Erika actually said it during the second intermission. It wasn't a commercial though and there was no graphic showing it though and it's not on the giveaway list so that's really weird. It was just a picture for the game against Detroit and she said the first 9k would receive a banner honoring the 25th anniversary of the 95 cup team.

Edited by Satans Hockey

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Erika actually said it during the second intermission. It wasn't a commercial though and there was no graphic showing it though and it's not on the giveaway list so that's really weird. It was just a picture for the game against Detroit and she said the first 9k would receive a banner honoring the 25th anniversary of the 95 cup team.

lol that's so weird.  Maybe it was a mistake?

It looks like several people have also noticed on the theme night list on the Devils website that the WWE Night (same night as the PK bobblehead night) was removed.  Now it is just the bobblehead night.

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol that's so weird.  Maybe it was a mistake?

It looks like several people have also noticed on the theme night list on the Devils website that the WWE Night (same night as the PK bobblehead night) was removed.  Now it is just the bobblehead night.

Possibly but that's a weird mistake to make, guess we'll see lol.....WWE probably pulled whoever they were going to send because they are petty and probably annoyed that Prudential center booked an All Elite Wrestling show for March 25th when MSG and Barclay's wouldn't let them book shows at those arenas because of WWE. 

The Kahns who own AEW also own Fulham in the English premier league and I think they only got the Prudential center booked because they know Harris and Blitzer through the EPL since they own Crystal Palace. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Vancouver interested in Simmonds?

I would take literally anything they offer. A 6th or 7th round pick would be fine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I would take literally anything they offer. A 6th or 7th round pick would be fine. 

I know he’s having somewhat of a quiet season but I wonder if Bastian would be a good replacement for Simmonds on Hughes’ right side. He’s always looked pretty decent when he plays up in Jersey and he’s 6’4 so he’s got the size if that’s what Hughes needs in a line mate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I know he’s having somewhat of a quiet season but I wonder if Bastian would be a good replacement for Simmonds on Hughes’ right side. He’s always looked pretty decent when he plays up in Jersey and he’s 6’4 so he’s got the size if that’s what Hughes needs in a line mate.

1- Pairing a fringe NHLer who's not a great finisher with our top prospect who's a playmaker.

2- Getting frustrating that our top prospect doesn't get more points.

Sounds like a perfect plan 

30 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I think the concept that Hughes needs someone big on his line to “protect” him is a fallacy. It’s 2020, it ain’t that NHL anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only 8 games left before the trade deadline (feb 24th). Fitz better start working the phones and getting draft capital.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

Only 8 games left before the trade deadline (feb 24th). Fitz better start working the phones and getting draft capital.

Anything think Sami is being kept out for reasons other than medical?

47 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Anything think Sami is being kept out for reasons other than medical?

Could/should be. 

If we deal Vatanen I'm gonna be pissed.  This team isn't going anywhere next year if we lose him.  If Severson were more consistent I'd feel a little better, but because he's still a bit streaky, Vatanen is the only reliable D-man we have. Subban hasn't show much, Greene's on his way out, Carrick and Mueller are 7th-man guys, and Butcher has been pretty invisible.  Who knows what the deal is with Ty Smith.  So yeah, we need Vatanen.  

On 2/6/2020 at 11:15 AM, Satans Hockey said:

I am sooo turned off by the first 9k on all these giveaways. Another reason that soured me on the new owners. Way too corporate. No soul. No passion. Just bottom line guys. And that’s OK but they won’t get my money anymore. I love the team and the fact that it is our team, New Jersey on the logo but... these owners...

40 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If we deal Vatanen I'm gonna be pissed.  This team isn't going anywhere next year if we lose him.  If Severson were more consistent I'd feel a little better, but because he's still a bit streaky, Vatanen is the only reliable D-man we have. Subban hasn't show much, Greene's on his way out, Carrick and Mueller are 7th-man guys, and Butcher has been pretty invisible.  Who knows what the deal is with Ty Smith.  So yeah, we need Vatanen.  

I agree with that. If they trade him he'll have to be replaced via free agency and that's a lottery both in terms of who you can get and the cost. I guess by now Fitz has an idea fo what sort of contract he's looking for and that may be the clincher on if he stays or goes.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Vatanen should absolutely be traded.  He is going to get a five year deal at the very least.  He's not a first line anchor by any means now and he's not going to be that good by the time the Devils really get better.  And it would be a firable offense to pass up a deal that involved a first rounder from a team like Carolina.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Vatanen should absolutely be traded.  He is going to get a five year deal at the very least.  He's not a first line anchor by any means now and he's not going to be that good by the time the Devils really get better.  And it would be a firable offense to pass up a deal that involved a first rounder from a team like Carolina.

If Vatanen is willing to re-sign, he should be kept.  This team is going to need players to actually put on the ice or we'll be giving Matt Tennyson 22 minutes a night next year. But if he doesn't want to come back then yeah, absolutely get something for him. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If Vatanen is willing to re-sign, he should be kept.  This team is going to need players to actually put on the ice or we'll be giving Matt Tennyson 22 minutes a night next year. But if he doesn't want to come back then yeah, absolutely get something for him. 

There will be defensemen available this offseason who fit what the team is trying to do better than Vatanen on a five or six year deal.

Ok so right now we’re over 6 million under the 81 million cap ceiling putting us at around 75 million. The cap floor is 60.2 million.

If we lose Simmonds and Vatanen that would give us a cap of 65 million going into next season.

If we also lose Greene who is a UFA that would put us right at the cap floor.

If we also end up trading Palms or Zajac (who already said he didn’t want to leave NJ) we’d be well under the floor going into next season. 

The UFA class of 2020 lols like this...

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-30-unrestricted-free-agents-of-2020

As usual most of those top guys will be signed before free agency but I can see whoever our GM is giving a big contract to Hoffman. Not much available as far as defense goes (Vats, Muzzin, Shattenkirk, Barrie). I’m assuming Krug and Pietrangelo will be re-signed.

Then there’s the expansion draft we have to think of.

In the end it might not make sense to trade Vats. I’m against trading Palms but he would definitely get a pretty good return. But we also need his cap. 

I guess we could take cap dumps and bad contracts back to reach the floor if we have to. 

I only bring this up because of all of the speculation that we’ll be active at the trade deadline. 

I would also absolutely expect to see Greene back for one more year just for the cap.

Edited by Jerzey

3 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Ok so right now we’re over 6 million under the 81 million cap ceiling putting us at around 75 million. The cap floor is 60.2 million.

If we lose Simmonds and Vatanen that would give us a cap of 65 million going into next season.

If we also lose Greene who is a UFA that would put us right at the cap floor.

If we also end up trading Palms or Zajac (who already said he didn’t want to leave NJ) we’d be well I’ll set the floor going into next season. 

The UFA class of 2020 lols like this...

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-30-unrestricted-free-agents-of-2020

As usual most of those top guys will be signed before free agency but I can see whoever our GM is giving a big contract to Hoffman. Not much available as far as defense goes (Vats, Muzzin, Shattenkirk, Barrie). I’m assuming Krug and Pietrangelo will be re-signed.

Then there’s the expansion draft we have to think of.

In the end it might not make sense to trade Vats. I’m against trading Palms but he would definitely get a pretty good return. But we also need his cap. 

I guess we could take cap dumps and bad contracts back to reach the floor if we have to. 

I only bring this up because of all of the speculation that we’ll be active at the trade deadline. 

I would also absolutely expect to see Greene back for one more year just for the cap.

Reaching the floor will not be an issue, or it's certainly not enough of an issue to cause you to hang on to Vatanen instead of trading him for a good return if that's otherwise what you think is in the best interests of the franchise.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Reaching the floor will not be an issue, or it's certainly not enough of an issue to cause you to hang on to Vatanen instead of trading him for a good return if that's otherwise what you think is in the best interests of the franchise.

With Vats I’m more concerned about who replaces him. Maybe Ty Smith is ready for the big club next year. I just don’t see any of the free agent defensemen that will probably still be available as a better fit than him. 

I like the saying "Never be so sure of what you want that you wouldn't accept something better" - I think that goes without saying with Vatanen.  If someone offered us something that blew us away, then yeah, you take it.  He, and just about everyone else on the team aside from a few guys, are expendable for the right price.  BUT, I don't think that means we should just trade him simply because we don't think we can give him a contract that he might otherwise get or be looking for on the open market.  

I specifically don't understand the notion of it somehow being unreasonable or unimaginable for us to give him a long term deal (i.e. 5 or 6 years) when he's 28 or 29 years old right now.  To me, that puts him at the perfect age if/when that next contract expired (~35ish).  As I always say, I'm not an expert on contracts and the rules, but if 35 is still the magic number to where contracts can become tough to deal with for guys after that age, then I think it's almost perfect.  You give Vatanen a reasonable deal at a fair price that makes him happy, you lock him up for a number of years, and you can realistically expect him to perform reasonably well until that age.  Win-win.

I think the other end of the spectrum, trading him, and having to fill that void next year and beyond, is far worse and unpredictable.  The league is full of guys who are unproven. I don't want to go searching for a reliable defenseman when we know we already have one.  

1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

With Vats I’m more concerned about who replaces him. Maybe Ty Smith is ready for the big club next year. I just don’t see any of the free agent defensemen that will probably still be available as a better fit than him. 

This.  

1- We need reliable and competent defensemen

2- Vats is exactly that 

3- We're not in cap trouble

4- If we get rid of him, we're left trying to find an equal replacement

1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

This is what the defense could look like next year without Vatanen assuming the Devils bring in only one non-pie in the sky free agent defenseman.

Edmudson/TJ Brodie   Subban
Smith   Severson
Butcher  Carrick

There are also plenty of other perfectly servicable guys that you can sign to 3 years or less, these include Shattenkirk, Chris Tanev, Hamonic, Scandella, among others.  It also doesn't take into account the possibility that Bahl or Ohutyuk might be able to handle the bottom pairing role, or if the Devils could pull of a trade for someone like Dylan Samberg.

Vats is a good player.  But he's also replaceable.   

2 hours ago, mackchi said:

I am sooo turned off by the first 9k on all these giveaways. Another reason that soured me on the new owners. Way too corporate. No soul. No passion. Just bottom line guys. And that’s OK but they won’t get my money anymore. I love the team and the fact that it is our team, New Jersey on the logo but... these owners...

It makes sense to do them that way.  One is that it gets people in the arena early and forcing them to eat at their food stands.  Second, I remember the days of when there were giveaways for all but due to the Devils ever-present attendance struggles they would have a ton of leftovers.

Back around 2011 or 2012 timeframe, I actually did the in-arena game on the scoreboard the Enterprise Hockey Trivia.  I answered 3 questions right on the scoreboard during a TV timeout and won a "Devils Prize Pack."  What was in that prize pack?  Well it was literally about a half-dozen items that were giveaways of the past 2-3 seasons that they had a ton of extra.  yay.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This is what the defense could look like next year without Vatanen assuming the Devils bring in only one non-pie in the sky free agent defenseman.

Edmudson/TJ Brodie   Subban
Smith   Severson
Butcher  Carrick

There are also plenty of other perfectly servicable guys that you can sign to 3 years or less, these include Shattenkirk, Chris Tanev, Hamonic, Scandella, among others.  It also doesn't take into account the possibility that Bahl or Ohutyuk might be able to handle the bottom pairing role, or if the Devils could pull of a trade for someone like Dylan Samberg.

Vats is a good player.  But he's also replaceable.   

Even if Bahl or Ohutyuk make the roster, they're probably replacing a guy like Carrick first, and maybe Butcher second.  They aren't replacing a guy like Vatanen.  I suppose Edmundson or Brodie replace him, but again, are either of them really that much of an upgrade?  Brodie is literally only a year younger than Vatanen, and his highest point total is a mere 17 points, so yeah... 

And Brodie is actually older, 29, and he averages about 35 points while Vats is around 25-30.  

So like I said, you're essentially replacing the guy for the sake of replacing him, with absolutely no guarantee that who/what you replace him with will be greater, or even equal.  Not at all worth the risk when you could simply extend an offer, a fair one obviously, and lock up a guy who has played well and knows the organization.