Jump to content

Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

Unfortunate news about Cory :)

as for captain, no need to even name one next season. Eventually if things continue to progress Nico would appear to be the logical choice but I don't think he's there yet. Honestly I don't think there's truly  really all that much value in it on the ice or in the room,  it's more symbolic than anything.  I think the odds are the team is going to be marginally better but still pretty bad  so why saddle Nico with the added pressure?  Guys are either leaders or not with or without the letter "C" on their sweaters.  Off the ice it would definitely help sell jerseys. 

I wonder if a few really good players turned down captaincy? Not on our team, but others. You know Nico would do it. One more Swiss born Captain the NHL

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are you like this?

Jack now has a family to support. Way to go Cory.

Mike Brown offers up contradictory bullet-points, mfitz interrupts him to make a weiner joke, SD tells him that he isn't racist he just thinks PK should use a different water fountain, Neb00rs flies i

Posted Images

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

Honestly I don't think there's truly  really all that much value in it on the ice or in the room,  it's more symbolic than anything.  I think the odds are the team is going to be marginally better but still pretty bad  so why saddle Nico with the added pressure?  

Aren’t those two statements a bit inconsistent?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Then I guess the Devils will have to plan on buying him out.

There's no other way around it, unless you can find a GM stupid enough to take him off our hands without having to add a major sweetener.

I don't think Cory can be part of this franchise come next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Aren’t those two statements a bit inconsistent?

Not to me. For example on the road he would be the guy the home teams press guys would seek out pre and post game by default. Don't see any benefit in Nico taking that on for  what could very well be a weak team. Let him concentrate on elevating his game on the ice. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be great if Zajac will be our next Cap. He was going through the hell with team and he has 1 or 2 years left. It’s enough time for Nico to develop more. And then be the next one Captain. Year ago he has up and down year. And for Travis it would be great act of good will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

A top 10 pick is a top 10 pick. Worrying about what they do with it doesn’t diminish its value. 

Idk where you’re getting these expert projections on Bahl, but this is where all the big guys had him ranked going into his draft class:


2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #68 by ISS Hockey

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #34 by Future Considerations

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #42 by Hockeyprospect.com

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #58 by McKeen's Hockey

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #47 by TSN/McKenzie

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #29 by NHL Central Scouting


So NHL Central Scouting even had a 1st round grade on him, and 3 others had him in the top 50. Seems like a higher ceiling than 3rd pairing to me. And “spare part” Nick Merkley is a former 1st round pick who looked very promising in the handful of games we saw him in, and is only 22. 

Indeed, he was pegged to go as a second rounder by most experts.  The same round where players have about a 15% chance of making the NHL.  The whole thought that he could be a top 4 D-man only exists in the Devils fan bubble (and almost all in the bubble have never even heard of him before the trade).  Most expert picks I have seen since the trade said he is maybe at best a 3rd pairing D-man.

Apologies if I keep my "mission accomplished" banner furled up on Merkley based on 10-15 games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, titans04 said:

Not to me. For example on the road he would be the guy the home teams press guys would seek out pre and post game by default. Don't see any benefit in Nico taking that on for  what could very well be a weak team. Let him concentrate on elevating his game on the ice. 

Not sure why the assumption is Nico may not be capable of multi-tasking.  Maybe he's perfectly capable of being the team captain (the real version of one, not the fairy tale version that makes inspirational locker room speeches whenever his team is down, to will them to victory) and continuing to develop/elevate his game.  

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Would be great if Zajac will be our next Cap. He was going through the hell with team and he has 1 or 2 years left. It’s enough time for Nico to develop more. And then be the next one Captain. Year ago he has up and down year. And for Travis it would be great act of good will.

One year left after this one.  Guess I don't see the harm if the Devils decide that Nico needs one more year before becoming the captain, and have Zajac wear the "C" temporarily.  Travis could be a nice one-year stopgap transitional captain, assuming everyone's on the same page with that idea.  Depending on how some guys develop (or don't develop), I can't rule out Travis being signed to a one-year deal after his current contract expires.  That's why I mentioned that everyone would need to be in agreement that this is a single-season thing (Travis being the captain).

Nico does feel like the right guy though long-term, for whatever that's worth from a fan's viewpoint. 

  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Indeed, he was pegged to go as a second rounder by most experts.  The same round where players have about a 15% chance of making the NHL.  The whole thought that he could be a top 4 D-man only exists in the Devils fan bubble (and almost all in the bubble have never even heard of him before the trade).  Most expert picks I have seen since the trade said he is maybe at best a 3rd pairing D-man.

Apologies if I keep my "mission accomplished" banner furled up on Merkley based on 10-15 games.

That must mean he sucks right? Never mind he the fact that played big minutes for team Canada at the WJC -20 and won gold. 

I think you’re confusing Merkley with someone else. He’s only played in 5 NHL games (4 for NJ), but he looked pretty good. Scored a goal against Columbus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nicomo said:

That must mean he sucks right? Never mind he the fact that played big minutes for team Canada at the WJC -20 and won gold. 

I think you’re confusing Merkley with someone else. He’s only played in 5 NHL games (4 for NJ), but he looked pretty good. Scored a goal against Columbus. 

Ah winning gold WJC-20 means he is guaranteed to be an NHL player.  Good grief lol.

So he scored a goal.....played in 4 games for a dumpster fire of a team......and you are saying he is promising?  lol K.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Ah winning gold WJC-20 means he is guaranteed to be an NHL player.  Good grief lol.

So he scored a goal.....played in 4 games for a dumpster fire of a team......and you are saying he is promising?  lol K.

image.gif.2f5a306bd412cfaf24cbe0b850d9d261.gif

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure why the assumption is Nico may not be capable of multi-tasking.  Maybe he's perfectly capable of being the team captain (the real version of one, not the fairy tale version that makes inspirational locker room speeches whenever his team is down, to will them to victory) and continuing to develop/elevate his game.  

One year left after this one.  Guess I don't see the harm if the Devils decide that Nico needs one more year before becoming the captain, and have Zajac wear the "C" temporarily.  Travis could be a nice one-year stopgap transitional captain, assuming everyone's on the same page with that idea.  Depending on how some guys develop (or don't develop), I can't rule out Travis being signed to a one-year deal after his current contract expires.  That's why I mentioned that everyone would need to be in agreement that this is a single-season thing (Travis being the captain).

Nico does feel like the right guy though long-term, for whatever that's worth from a fan's viewpoint. 

  

He very well maybe capable CR of multitasking as you call it,  I just don't see much value if any in naming him this year. I'd rather him solely focus on elevating his game which imo still has a way to go especially developing consistency over a full season.  I don't think there's needs to even have a captain, go with 3-4 "A"'s (Nico, Zajac, Palms).  As of now I think the only thing he's truly done is been a bright spot on a bad team who's averaged less than a goal every 4 games and .65 pts per game overall. Hardly a need to rush him along into a captaincy imo at this point in time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titans04 said:

He very well maybe capable CR of multitasking as you call it,  I just don't see much value if any in naming him this year. I'd rather him solely focus on elevating his game which imo still has a way to go especially developing consistency over a full season.  I don't think there's needs to even have a captain, go with 3-4 "A"'s (Nico, Zajac, Palms).  As of now I think the only thing he's truly done is been a bright spot on a bad team who's averaged less than a goal every 4 games and .65 pts per game overall. Hardly a need to rush him along into a captaincy imo at this point in time.

I def do NOT disagree with idea of one season of a few "A"s.  Wouldn't be the end of the world by any stretch.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I def do NOT disagree with idea of one season of a few "A"s.  Wouldn't be the end of the world by any stretch.  

I guess that is better than a team full of A-holes.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

PK is a toxic cancer!

That's on the ice with his play. Always been very generous off of it.

Edited by titans04
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo, @MB3, recall this bet?

 

 

49607660132_42bfab142f_b.jpg

 

Pavel clocked in with 32 points in 65 games, for a respectable PPG total of 0.492. That would've made me the winner. But, he didn't finish the season because we didn't finish the season. 

The result was close enough that I think its unfair to settle this bet based on the reduced sample size, so we just call it a wash. 

Or, we can come up with an alternate reality way to decide it, after all that's how the league decided to handle the Stanley Cup. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Sooo, @MB3, recall this bet?

 

 

49607660132_42bfab142f_b.jpg

 

Pavel clocked in with 32 points in 65 games, for a respectable PPG total of 0.492. That would've made me the winner. But, he didn't finish the season because we didn't finish the season. 

The result was close enough that I think its unfair to settle this bet based on the reduced sample size, so we just call it a wash. 

Or, we can come up with an alternate reality way to decide it, after all that's how the league decided to handle the Stanley Cup. 

Haha holy cow that is about as close as you can possibly be. One more point or 1 fewer game played and it tips my way. 

I'll let you choose. Either I'll venmo $20 to the site right now, or we can say same bet holds for next season except I'll owe $40 if I lose, you owe $20 if you lose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah you guys can just twist the rules a bit so that the site can make a bit of money.

Just like the league twisted the rules to get Chicago and MTL in the playoffs to make a bit of money.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Haha holy cow that is about as close as you can possibly be. One more point or 1 fewer game played and it tips my way. 

I'll let you choose. Either I'll venmo $20 to the site right now, or we can say same bet holds for next season except I'll owe $40 if I lose, you owe $20 if you lose. 

Let’s do that, but if we’re doing it, I’m doubling down too. I’m in for $40 also, even with him having another “year” of experience and he probably should make it. 

But, we should make some sort of provision in case they don’t play an 82 game regular season. I would propose that since we’re starting fresh with the knowledge it could be shorter, we’re talking about a points per game average, and less games could impact either one of us equally, we just agree that whatever the regular season is next year, it counts. 

Or we can settle it with an over/under on how many times @SterioDesign mentions Montreal on a Devils message board. Will it be over or under 4 billion? ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Or we can settle it with an over/under on how many times @SterioDesign mentions Montreal on a Devils message board. Will it be over or under 4 billion? ;) 

Hammering the over.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Let’s do that, but if we’re doing it, I’m doubling down too. I’m in for $40 also, even with him having another “year” of experience and he probably should make it. 

But, we should make some sort of provision in case they don’t play an 82 game regular season. I would propose that since we’re starting fresh with the knowledge it could be shorter, we’re talking about a points per game average, and less games could impact either one of us equally, we just agree that whatever the regular season is next year, it counts. 

Or we can settle it with an over/under on how many times @SterioDesign mentions Montreal on a Devils message board. Will it be over or under 4 billion? ;) 

would you have felt better if i would have said 2 original 6 teams with a lot of viewers? Instead of specifically name the cities? Lemme know

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.