Neb00rs

Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

From what I saw just a few minutes ago, it looks like Zacha, Boqvist and Mueller are sitting while Rooney, Hayden and Carrick are taking their places.

Zacha and Boqvist sit for Rooney and Hayden.  Gotta have that toughness doe...

At this point these kinds of complaints are the result of just wanting to be angry. Boqvist is sitting because the Devils are going into another back-to-back and tonight's game is due to be the much tougher one physically. Last game Zacha generated little offensively and was on the ice for Buffalo's first two goals, which were PP goals - so his PK skills didn't exactly make him invaluable to the lineup last game. Okay, Zacha is a better player than Rooney. So what? He's a fourth line center now, if he sucks, he can sit for a game. That said, he'll be back in the lineup tomorrow unless Rooney plays outrageously well tonight.

It's absolutely asinine to sit Zacha.  The mother fvcker did nothing wrong and this is only going to derail any confidence he may have built last season in terms of trying to feel like a permanent part of the lineup.  Not only is it going to hinder any development of his, but if we were ever going to try to trade him while he still might be worth something because he's just not working out here, well now other teams are going to value him less when they see he's a healthy scratch every other game.  fvcking idiots running this circus, I swear. 

Posted (edited)

Some notes on why I think the rest of the lineup played out like it did:

As we all see, Hynes came a lot closer to the lineup some of us on the board were asking for after last game. Gusev makes sense with Hall and Hischier because he's a wing that needs to play with players that A. can emphasize his offensive skills and B. take the pressure off of him defensively. When Gusev plays with Hughes, there's a lot more pressure on him to play responsible hockey because Jack ain't going to pick up his slack. Additionally, this first line allows Hall and Hischier to stay together. Hall has been dominant as usual, so messing with the only good thing going for the Devils probably isn't a great decision. Hall also wants stability, he's mentioned wanting to play with a consistent line. At least he keeps his center here.

Obviously, the area a bunch of us feel Hynes still missed the boat was by putting Simmonds on Hughes' wing where we wanted Palmieri. I think with this decision Hynes is opting to limit Hughes' minutes rather than find the perfect match for him. He's going to play him only in favorable situations, including on the powerplay. Simmonds is too slow for Hughes and in the brief time they were on the ice together in game 1, it didn't look pretty. The good news is that he is putting Coleman to the left of Hughes which is something I had put on my lineup wishlist. I think that should go well. Coleman is fast, can win battles, and can get the puck in deep and to the net. I hope Hughes and Coleman play well together - though even if they do, Simmonds will likely hold them back. Hopefully this is where Palms gets switched to their line. What I hope Hynes doesn't do is go, "Well Coleman and Hughes work, time to throw Gusev back on that line!"

On the defensive side of things, I thought Greene-Subban was fine, but the switching around of pairs, I think, has mostly to do with handedness and getting Carrick into the lineup over Mueller. One thing that does scare me, coaching-wise, is that the defense is showing signs of looking very confused out there, akin to last year when there were numerous instances in which they were a mess in their own zone. That said, a lot has been asked of them so far with the new forwards struggling to retain possession, make good decisions with the puck, and play defense.

Edited by Neb00rs

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's absolutely asinine to sit Zacha.  The mother fvcker did nothing wrong and this is only going to derail any confidence he may have built last season in terms of trying to feel like a permanent part of the lineup.  Not only is it going to hinder any development of his, but if we were ever going to try to trade him while he still might be worth something because he's just not working out here, well now other teams are going to value him less when they see he's a healthy scratch every other game.  fvcking idiots running this circus, I swear. 

Scratched one game out of three does not equal scratched every other game. 

I have no issues with complaints, but if you're going to complain, at least be accurate.  If you have a sample where Zacha's been scratched, say, 5 games out of the first 10 or 11, and it doesn't seem to be fair in relation to his play, then yeah, I get wondering what that's all about.  Blowing up ONE friggin' scratch into his value one day being compromised in a potential future trade that may or may not ever happen...or to make it sound like his confidence will be irreparably derailed as a result of this one game...I'm sorry, this is way overreacting, and I'm with MD2020 when he talks about how exhausting this sh!t can be. 

Is it so hard to let this brand-new season breathe just a LITTLE?  Does every little thing have to be a potential worst-case scenario?

• Like 1

poor Pavel, not the start he needed. Hopefully it turns around but we'll have to wait and see. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Scratched one game out of three does not equal scratched every other game. 

I have no issues with complaints, but if you're going to complain, at least be accurate.  If you have a sample where Zacha's been scratched, say, 5 games out of the first 10 or 11, and it doesn't seem to be fair in relation to his play, then yeah, I get wondering what that's all about.  Blowing up ONE friggin' scratch into his value one day being compromised in a potential future trade that may or may not ever happen...or to make it sound like his confidence will be irreparably derailed as a result of this one game...I'm sorry, this is way overreacting, and I'm with MD2020 when he talks about how exhausting this sh!t can be. 

Is it so hard to let this brand-new season breathe just a LITTLE?  Does every little thing have to be a potential worst-case scenario?

Again, similar to the topic yesterday, the bulk of my complaint and issue with this scratching is that it's a reflection on him as a player and his career thus far, more than it is this season, and that's what I feel is unjust.  I think anything done so far after just two games is a knee-jerk reaction, because it's too small of a sample size.  But Zacha's had issues staying in the lineup consistently throughout his tenure here during the early stages of his career - that's a fact, and I know you know it, so I shouldn't have to go digging for precise examples, but if I must, I know I can find strings of games here and there where he was brought up or sent down.  It's been a pattern, and I know for him it's gotta be debilitating, both mentally and physically.  

If you want to talk about me over-reacting to one scratch after two games, I can and will easily throw it right back (not at you, but at Hynes).  What is the purpose of scratching a player after two measly games?  Games in which the team as a whole sucked the fvcking suck out of suck?  Give the guy, and the team, a chance to develop some chemistry before you start making impulse decisions and basically throwing sh!t at the wall hoping it sticks.  We're only two games in and already this reeks of desperation - i.e. Hynes not having a clue how to best put together lines for the players he has, so he holds out a player who by all accounts is more valuable than the other 3 he has waiting in the wings, so that when it inevitably doesn't work out and we're discussing another L tomorrow, he can at least stand at the podium and say "Well, I tried. See? I held out Zacha from the lineup! What else can I do?".  I'm over it.  I'm not saying I don't believe Hynes can turn it around and put together a strong and winning coaching philosophy, but he's on thing ice for me, and I don't think this is the way to go about it.

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

poor Pavel, not the start he needed. Hopefully it turns around but we'll have to wait and see. 

He didn't play badly. Hynes is just being Hynes with his player choice.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Again, similar to the topic yesterday, the bulk of my complaint and issue with this scratching is that it's a reflection on him as a player and his career thus far, more than it is this season, and that's what I feel is unjust.  I think anything done so far after just two games is a knee-jerk reaction, because it's too small of a sample size.  But Zacha's had issues staying in the lineup consistently throughout his tenure here during the early stages of his career - that's a fact, and I know you know it, so I shouldn't have to go digging for precise examples, but if I must, I know I can find strings of games here and there where he was brought up or sent down.  It's been a pattern, and I know for him it's gotta be debilitating, both mentally and physically.  

If you want to talk about me over-reacting to one scratch after two games, I can and will easily throw it right back (not at you, but at Hynes).  What is the purpose of scratching a player after two measly games?  Games in which the team as a whole sucked the fvcking suck out of suck?  Give the guy, and the team, a chance to develop some chemistry before you start making impulse decisions and basically throwing sh!t at the wall hoping it sticks.  We're only two games in and already this reeks of desperation - i.e. Hynes not having a clue how to best put together lines for the players he has, so he holds out a player who by all accounts is more valuable than the other 3 he has waiting in the wings, so that when it inevitably doesn't work out and we're discussing another L tomorrow, he can at least stand at the podium and say "Well, I tried. See? I held out Zacha from the lineup! What else can I do?".  I'm over it.  I'm not saying I don't believe Hynes can turn it around and put together a strong and winning coaching philosophy, but he's on thing ice for me, and I don't think this is the way to go about it.

Zacha's very much earned a number of his past scratches and demotions...not like he's forever the victim.

This time, one thing that's fair to bring up...he did miss almost all of the preseason due to not being signed earlier.  Maybe his conditioning isn't quite there yet?  I would like to see him back in the lineup tomorrow night. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Zacha's very much earned a number of his past scratches and demotions...not like he's forever the victim.

This time, one thing that's fair to bring up...he did miss almost all of the preseason due to not being signed earlier.  Maybe his conditioning isn't quite there yet?  I would like to see him back in the lineup tomorrow night. 

True, I just feel like it happened a lot, and in this particular case, I feel like it's wayyyy too soon to scratch him after just 2 games.  I forgot about him missing most of pre-season, that's fair to bring up.  I suppose that could factor into it, but again, I just didn't really see him as being a big negative or detriment to the team in the first two games.  I know Neboors mentioned him giving up 2 PP goals, but there were 3 other guys on the ice with him when that happened, and I didn't see him out of position or personally responsible for either of those goals.

Zacha's not being blamed for the loss, the other guys haven't played in 2 weeks.  Once there's some injuries, Zacha will be in there every night.  He really has not been jerked around the lineup very much as a Devil - he's been in there when he's healthy almost all the time.

36 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Zacha's not being blamed for the loss, the other guys haven't played in 2 weeks.  Once there's some injuries, Zacha will be in there every night.  He really has not been jerked around the lineup very much as a Devil - he's been in there when he's healthy almost all the time.

I thought he got sent to the Bing last season for like 15 games.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Those days are over because 2019-20 is the Year of the Pavel. 

20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Pavel Zacha played 4 games in Binghamton last season.

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He didn't play badly. Hynes is just being Hynes with his player choice.

He obviously played his way out of the lineup if he sits. Doesn't matter if we agree or not. It's not a good look and certainly not was expected of him this season. Way ealry to panic but still..... 

As for tonight don't suck please FFS. 

53 minutes ago, titans04 said:

He obviously played his way out of the lineup if he sits. Doesn't matter if we agree or not. It's not a good look and certainly not was expected of him this season. Way ealry to panic but still..... 

You could argue that about a lot of guys for the only two games of the season. I don't think he looked any worse than anyone else. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I think you're making an assumption on this one.  I do think conditioning may have factored into his sitting out tonight.  He missed almost the entire preseason. 

If he's out again tomorrow night, yeah, that will make we wonder what's up.  I doubt Shero signed him to that three-year deal just to see him get mothballed though.  I don't think this missed game is any major statement about Zacha's play.   

Posted (edited)

Guys my only assumption is the coach saw something he didn't like in his game which is resulting in him being scratched. I believe that's what is happening here, no more no less. 

Edited by titans04

I think Zacha being scratched is more about the Hynes-Rooney love affair than anything else but having this kind of depth at center is nice

• Like 2

Can anyone recall if Nico was this sheltered in his rookie season? Jack's ES TOI is pathetic right now.

Let the kid fvcking play.

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can anyone recall if Nico was this sheltered in his rookie season? Jack's ES TOI is pathetic right now.

I don’t have any statistics to back it, but I certainly don’t remember Nico’s time being that limited.  Of course, we didn’t have anyone else to play.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Jack has his best game last game after being sheltered in terms of situations and linemates and now people are calling for him to not be sheltered? This is a confusing one.

There's sheltered, and then there is getting less TOI than Hayden and Rooney through the first 1-2 periods of the game.

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Jack has his best game last game after being sheltered in terms of situations and linemates and now people are calling for him to not be sheltered? This is a confusing one.

I'm calling for him to get more than 10 minutes of ES TOI.  He's not learning sh!t by sitting for the majority of the game while AHL plugs are playing more than him.

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm calling for him to get more than 10 minutes of ES TOI.  He's not learning sh!t by sitting for the majority of the game while AHL plugs are playing more than him.

He's averaging 12:10 ES TOI. His total TOI per game is 14:43. He's played 3 NHL games, he's bad defensively, he's getting decent minutes. What exactly do you want?

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

There's sheltered, and then there is getting less TOI than Hayden and Rooney through the first 1-2 periods of the game.

I have no idea what anyone on last night’s fourth line brings to the table. I’m so tired of Miles Wood. Jack clearly had his legs and looked decent defensively next to Coleman. Any other coach would’ve ridden the hot hand and played him more.

Edited by devlman