GDT: Winnipeg @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’ve been to a lot of opening night games over the years- rarely have I missed one.... this is by far the most annoyed and pissed off I’ve ever been walking out of an opening night, and it’s not even close. 

And so far as the people who run things are concerned, it’s the fault of everyone except those that have never had any success at the NHL level, see Hynes, John.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And so far as the people who run things are concerned, it’s the fault of everyone except those that have never had any success at the NHL level, see Hynes, John.

I try not to lose it over one game, but Hynes has been on my sh!t list for a while.... tonight did him no favors. I’m not saying fire him YET, but the leash better be exceedingly short. It’s win or fvck off now. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I try not to lose it over one game, but Hynes has been on my sh!t lost for a while.... tonight did him no favors. I’m not saying fire him YET, but the leash better be exceedingly short. It’s win or fvck off now. 

I wish I got to have a track record of failure like him and still be employed.

• Like 2

While we’re sh!tting on Hynes, can I ask why the fvck Alain Nasrredine is still employed here? That guy sucked as a player, and he sucks as a coach too. The fact he hasn’t been replaced is another mark against the Bald One.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

Yeah this was a miserable walk out of the arena and drive home tonight.

My completely bias thoughts that are probably not worth mentioning:

- We win this game if Cory doesn't get hurt. Feel bad for Blackwood, getting thrown out there completely cold against a really strong offensive team. Hopefully he shakes off those two shootout goals and rebounds tomorrow, if he starts.

- Hughes looks so tiny out there, man. But he's electric, dynamic, figuring it out. I counted two times in particular where a Jets player really got the better of him with the big hit. But to his credit, he shook them off and got back into the play each time.

- Goose looks good. Needs to pick his spots for dangles better. Can't be trying the toe drag out there every time he gets a little space.

- Cory looked so sharp. Like, vintage Cory. I really, really, really, really, really hope he's not hurt. Here's hoping the reports of him cramping are accurate.

- Hall got a ton of shots, though none appeared to be especially dangerous. On any other given night, he probably gets a couple goals if he picks his spots better.

- Nico looked so good. Not particularly flashy, but just solid. The perfect yin to Hughes's yang.

- I hate losing.

Edit: pardon the obvious typos, voice-to-text sucks.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’ve been to a lot of opening night games over the years- rarely have I missed one.... this is by far the most annoyed and pissed off I’ve ever been walking out of an opening night, and it’s not even close. 

Dallas 2010?  Granted this was actually worse but man if this season turns into anything like that one...

This was doubly annoying cause I just SAW this script like four weeks ago with the football Jets.  Team looks great, gets out to a late game lead against a team they usually don't do well against and dominating with all their new acquisitions doing well then bam, one guy gets hurt and the whole thing crumbles.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

While we’re sh!tting on Hynes, can I ask why the fvck Alain Nasrredine is still employed here? That guy sucked as a player, and he sucks as a coach too. The fact he hasn’t been replaced is another mark against the Bald One.

Hey, people love lockeroom guys, apparently 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I can’t fvcking wait for Cory Schneider to be off this team. Guy can’t stay healthy to save his life. 

To be fair, I think if he stayed healthy it would save his life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Dallas 2010?  Granted this was actually worse but man if this season turns into anything like that one...

That one was bad, but blowing a 4-0 lead is just something that is so beyond unacceptable and ridiculous, it damn near made my head explode. And if this season goes in the same direction as that one, we won’t be firing Hynes- we’ll be hanging him. 

• Like 1

Well that was a freakin' roller coaster. As much as I'm really p!ssed at the result I thought there were quite a few positives. Nico, Bratt, Gusev, Simmonds, Zacha, Coleman, Schneider and PK all looked good. As much as I like the combination of Hughes and Gusev I thought they struggled defensively. Having said that Goose did make some good individual defensive plays. Hughes showed the skill he has. It was his first NHL game though and he'll only get better. Hall & Palms tried hard but it didn't quite come off for them. It will. I thought Mueller and Hayden were pretty useless. 

• Like 2

Severson was a -4 last night...now -91 for his career.

Not saying that the final result was all on him, but goddamn the minuses sure have a way of finding him...

kYWiKvqpIOCj1AyKa8E60tsvRcj.jpg

Lots of thoughts on last night. 

You know - i thought they looked a little slow from the onset, and I wonder if that's from just didn't come out blazing or the Jets ability to stand in the neutral zone and slow them. 

I feel like Jack should be with Hall, Nico with Goose - get them veterans to play with. Jack needs a little more help. 

I thought Bratt looked on another level, Zacha had his legs all night, and Travis and Coleman were really good. 

Miles wood is still MIles wood. 

Hayden I thought was garbage. 

Simmonds looks rough - I just don't think he fits on top 3 lines. I know that the line played matchup and did a very very good job for the most part. 

Cory looked good, I hope it's nothing serious. 

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I really don’t understand how this is on Hynes? Did anyone feel confident when Blackwood had to come in cold against a surging Jets team? 

Cory plays 60 minutes they win the game. 

My issue is they (Devils) were rolling. All 4 lines we’re bringing something to the game. Then at the second intermission, he started playing the “let’s see who plays well together game” and you could see from puck drop in the third it threw everyone off. If he left it alone, we also could be singing a different tune too. 

• Like 3

I don’t blame Blackwood for the goals against... I will blame him for playing scared in the shootout though.    The dude panicked and wasn’t aggressive at all against the puck.

The most exciting player for me last night was Goose.   Everytime he had the puck I thought something was going to happen.   

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not saying that the final result was all on him, but goddamn the minuses sure have a way of finding him...

Whenever the Devils are pinned in their own end, it seems like Severson is on the ice 80-90% of the time.

I don’t follow the Devils as closely as most people on here, but to me Severson’s career has been on a gradual but constant downward slide after he got off to a good start early in his rookie year.

It’s hard to be -4 in a game when your team scores 4 goals in that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CHIP72
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was the guy who ended up on the ice a few times after the sloppy Hughes-Gusev line iced the puck and got stuck in the defensive zone exhausted. He wasn't amazing last night but the -4 has a lot to do with situational misfortune.

3 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Lots of thoughts on last night. 

You know - i thought they looked a little slow from the onset, and I wonder if that's from just didn't come out blazing or the Jets ability to stand in the neutral zone and slow them. 

I feel like Jack should be with Hall, Nico with Goose - get them veterans to play with. Jack needs a little more help. 

I thought Bratt looked on another level, Zacha had his legs all night, and Travis and Coleman were really good. 

Miles wood is still MIles wood. 

Hayden I thought was garbage. 

Simmonds looks rough - I just don't think he fits on top 3 lines. I know that the line played matchup and did a very very good job for the most part. 

Cory looked good, I hope it's nothing serious. 

The bolded I couldn't agree with more. As I commented last night, I think eventually Hynes comes to the same conclusion. Goose is an experienced player, Jack isn't, but both a defensive liabilities and together they were terrible. To me, we lost the game because of them together. I believe Jack's defensive game will develop as he grows - both mentally and physically. Gusev probably is who he is. Hughes ended up on the ice with Hall for a shift last night (I can't remember if it was PP or not) and the two looked good. So, yeah, I agree, put Hall with Hughes and Nico with Gusev - even at the expense of Hall-Hischier, which looked good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

The bolded I couldn't agree with more. As I commented last night, I think eventually Hynes comes to the same conclusion. Goose is an experienced player, Jack isn't, but both a defensive liabilities and together they were terrible. To me, we lost the game because of them together. I believe Jack's defensive game will develop as he grows - both mentally and physically. Gusev probably is who he is. Hughes ended up on the ice with Hall for a shift last night (I can't remember if it was PP or not) and the two looked good. So, yeah, I agree, put Hall with Hughes and Nico with Gusev - even at the expense of Hall-Hischier, which looked good.

I agree with that. The Hughes/Goose line did get pinned back in the D zone a few times and Hughes did look ok when he played with Hall so, worth a go.

People panicking after game one isn't new. This was just as much on WPG as it was on NJ. WPG showed why they are a favorited team many years. They have a solid team and down 4 - 0 against a home team with a great crowd and all the momentum came back and stole the game. That is what a solid team can do. Yea, NJ didn't do a good job preventing it but give WPG some fvcking credit.