Fire Hynes

Daniel

5 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This board is becoming Twitter.

I think I've seen every single player (save for maybe Nico) and coach criticized and condemned so far. Everyone needs to be fired and traded. Everyone is yelling things with little reasoning behind what they're yelling. From what I gather of the board's mentality through 4 games:

Hynes is at fault for everything and needs to be fired immediately.

Nasreddine is actually the one at fault for everything, he has no idea what he is doing and he sucked as a player.

Hall should be traded because he isn't trying.

Gusev and Bratt should be playing 20 minutes a night even if that means in all situations.

Pavel Zacha should never be scratched, ever, and that Hynes did so is the sign of mental illness.

Miles Wood is the worst player on the team, less valuable than Rooney or Hayden.

PK Subban is a bust.

Jesper Boqvist should play 82 games.

Maybe the Devils continue to lose. But if they continue to improve on what they showed tonight and string some wins together, I just wonder what the explanation is going to be for all of the nonsense that's going on right now? That's not to say there isn't legitimate criticism to be had - I've engaged in it myself but...yeah most of this feels like Twitter.

The bottom line is that there was enough talent on the roster not to be the third worst team in the league last year, and there is even more talent now that the team should at least have one win, not have blown a four goal lead, should have one powerplay goal and not have a penalty kill percentage of fifty percent.  This is the product of incompetent coaching.  If it sounds like Twitter, we’ll I’m sorry it hurts someone’s feels.

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Teams go 0-2-2 all the time.  The worst penalty kill in the league is successful 3 in 4 times and the worst power play is usually successful around 1 in 7.  These things will turn around - if they can maintain what they did at even strength tonight, they're going to win games.  If they can't, they won't win many games and it'll be time for Hynes to go.

It’ll get them better lottery odds.

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The bottom line is that there was enough talent on the roster not to be the third worst team in the league last year, and there is even more talent now that the team should at least have one win, not have blown a four goal lead, should have one powerplay goal and not have a penalty kill percentage of fifty percent.  This is the product of incompetent coaching.  If it sounds like Twitter, we’ll I’m sorry it hurts someone’s feels.

I've criticized Hynes in past seasons but as soon as we decided to go into this season with Hynes, that for me, means he gets a chance to get things going. I don't think anyone can compliment the coaching at this point - the first three games were atrocious - the PK has been atrocious. But Hynes should probably get some more time before they fire him. If he loses 3 of 4 thru the Vancouver game, and some of them are as ugly as our first few losses, Ray might make a move over that five day layoff. But the team did get better tonight. I imagine you'll admit that right? So, there's some logic in not firing a coach after four games.

I don't really know what "the team should at least have one win" means. If we're looking at a sample of four games, then "should" eliminates the possibility that chance alone could mean we don't have any wins - and I know you're not arguing that anomalous records can't happen over four games. Chance did a lot tonight to leave us winless. True the PK sucked again - and if it continues on a record-setting pace for a few more weeks, we'll all be ready for Hynes to get fired, hopefully Ray too.

But yeah, my gripe, is that a lot of what people seem to be yelling at Hynes for (i.e. not playing Gusev more minutes or Scratching Zacha one game) seem to not be reasons to support his firing. For a second I'm with ya'll like, "Yeah that wasn't a well-coached game," and then next someone is blaming him for something ridiculous.

Edited by Neb00rs

47 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This board is becoming Twitter.

I think I've seen every single player (save for maybe Nico) and coach criticized and condemned so far. Everyone needs to be fired and traded. Everyone is yelling things with little reasoning behind what they're yelling. From what I gather of the board's mentality through 4 games:

Hynes is at fault for everything and needs to be fired immediately.

Nasreddine is actually the one at fault for everything, he has no idea what he is doing and he sucked as a player.

Hall should be traded because he isn't trying.

Gusev and Bratt should be playing 20 minutes a night even if that means in all situations.

Pavel Zacha should never be scratched, ever, and that Hynes did so is the sign of mental illness.

Miles Wood is the worst player on the team, less valuable than Rooney or Hayden.

PK Subban is a bust.

Jesper Boqvist should play 82 games.

Maybe the Devils continue to lose. But if they continue to improve on what they showed tonight and string some wins together, I just wonder what the explanation is going to be for all of the nonsense that's going on right now? That's not to say there isn't legitimate criticism to be had - I've engaged in it myself but...yeah most of this feels like Twitter.

You can scratch Nico off your list there. He hasn’t looked very sharp at all. Stickhandling and skating still look like they’re getting out of preseason mode.

31 minutes ago, devlman said:

You can scratch Nico off your list there. He hasn’t looked very sharp at all. Stickhandling and skating still look like they’re getting out of preseason mode.

I have no idea what some of you are watching. Nico has looked fine. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Triumph said:

Teams go 0-2-2 all the time.  The worst penalty kill in the league is successful 3 in 4 times and the worst power play is usually successful around 1 in 7.  These things will turn around - if they can maintain what they did at even strength tonight, they're going to win games.  If they can't, they won't win many games and it'll be time for Hynes to go.

The old adage is that you usually want them to add up to 100%, usually around 75% and 25%.  Obviously they can vary in either direction, but you get the idea.

Edited by NJDfan1711

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The old adage is that you usually want them to add up to 100%, usually around 75% and 25%.  Obviously they can vary in either direction, but you get the idea.

100% seems a little low...you'd probably like to be at least 82% or higher on your PK, and 20% or higher on your PP.  Probably something more in the 102 - 103 range.

I don't want to even think what the Devils' %s add up to at the moment. 

See the source image

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I left the game right when Severson scored the go-ahead goal with less than 5 minutes left (me and my wife had to get up early today).  Figures this team and this sad-sack coach could turn a late-game lead into a shootout loss.

Rooney is actually an alright 4th liner.  Out of Wood, Hayden and Rooney, he has the least of my ire.  The problem is that our clown of a coach decided in his infamous wisdom to put him with Bratt and Gusev who actually looked pretty good together.  They even combined for a goal!  Nope, in Hynes world it's all about that all-encompassing vague mantra of "compete level."

The team looked better last night for sure, but sorry I am not going to start blowing games like last night into some sort of moral victory nonsense.  I eat that up the last couple of seasons but this year's team has too much talent to use that excuse anymore.  Hynes must go.

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

100% seems a little low...you'd probably like to be at least 82% or higher on your PK, and 20% or higher on your PP.  Probably something more in the 102 - 103 range.

I don't want to even think what the Devils' %s add up to at the moment. 

See the source image

Hopefully this was not you in your club seats last night. I hope the carving stations were kind to you. 

22 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I left the game right when Severson scored the go-ahead goal with less than 5 minutes left (me and my wife had to get up early today).  Figures this team and this sad-sack coach could turn a late-game lead into a shootout loss.

1) I can't physically do that, and;

2) This loss is now clearly your fault. 

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hopefully this was not you in your club seats last night. I hope the carving stations were kind to you. 

1) I can't physically do that, and;

2) This loss is now clearly your fault. 

I've lost 27 lbs since April 28...down to 209 now (I haven't been that low since 2010...in the years since, I've usually been between 220 - 245...never again).  Buffets are really kinda lost on me now...back in the day (especially my pre-Type 2 days), I would show up at a buffet wanting to decimate and stuff myself to the absolute hilt...partly because I always felt like I HAD to get my money's worth, which meant eating even more, when I didn't necessarily really want or need to. 

I'm not really like that anymore...I've just gotten used to eating less and eating better (still pick my spots...I'm "good" 80% of the time or so).  One stop at the carving station and a couple of sides and I was good to go...I just didn't feel all that hungry and wasn't craving the "bad" stuff.  Part of the problem is that the restaurant and loge buffets are much better in quality...I'll eat way more there than I will in the club seats now.  My daughter enjoys the club buffets more than I do at this point, which is fine.  I just enjoy hanging with her regardless of where.

And an irony in all of this is that people that I know sometimes act disappointed if I show up where there's going to be a lot of food, and I don't eat like I'm on Death Row.  I was known for my appetite for so long in some circles that some think it's somehow off that I'm not longer finishing off my portions and coming back for seconds and thirds.  Oh well...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've lost 27 lbs since April 28...down to 209 now (I haven't been that low since 2010...in the years since, I've usually been between 220 - 245...never again).  Buffets are really kinda lost on me now...back in the day (especially my pre-Type 2 days), I would show up at a buffet wanting to decimate and stuff myself to the absolute hilt...partly because I always felt like I HAD to get my money's worth, which meant eating even more, when I didn't necessarily really want or need to. 

I'm not really like that anymore...I've just gotten used to eating less and eating better (still pick my spots...I'm "good" 80% of the time or so).  One stop at the carving station and a couple of sides and I was good to go...I just didn't feel all that hungry and wasn't craving the "bad" stuff.  Part of the problem is that the restaurant and loge buffets are much better in quality...I'll eat way more there than I will in the club seats now.  My daughter enjoys the club buffets more than I do at this point, which is fine.  I just enjoy hanging with her regardless of where.

And an irony in all of this is that people that I know sometimes act disappointed if I show up where there's going to be a lot of food, and I don't eat like I'm on Death Row.  I was known for my appetite for so long in some circles that some think it's somehow off that I'm not longer finishing off my portions and coming back for seconds and thirds.  Oh well...

Anyone that knows you shouldn't feel that way. 

Congrats on your weight loss, very happy for you my man. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone that knows you shouldn't feel that way. 

Congrats on your weight loss, very happy for you my man. 

Thats awesome, keep up the good work. I;m a week into my keto Kraz.......... But I also train 3 to 4 times per week. And I'm probably alot older then anybody on this board. lol Keep it up................

I don’t post very often but with the poor start by what should have been a much improved Devils team I thought I would chime in.  Although I’m not sure this is a problem solver, it seems to me the first step is removing Nasreddine and bringing in someone else to coach the defense.  How long has Nasreddine been here now?  Because I look at a player like Severson and, at least on paper, it is difficult to make the argument he is the quality defensemen we mostly felt he would become.  Every season has been a minus for him.  You can blame the team for some of that, but as a defenseman you could argue he hasn’t lived up to early expectations.  But is that him or the coaching?   So I looked at Vatanen and his stats have not been nearly as good since coming here.  Granted, he is older now than in his Anaheim years, but for defensemen more experience is generally a good thing since it takes so long to develop them.  If anything, his additional years should make him better, but he has regressed as a Devil.  That is another sign, for me, that there is a coaching or systematic problem.

Now I’m not quite ready to move on from Hynes*; I’d give him a bit more time but no longer than the new year and perhaps much less depending on performance.  Nasreddine, however, seems like a good target to change things up as it is clear that he is neither developing younger defensemen well nor implementing a good defensive system.  Alternatively, his approach just plain sucks.  

So who do we bring in?  It seemed like Scott Stevens brief coaching tenure did not go well, but I’d like to see what he does under different circumstances.  It seems to me the only way we could lure Larry Robinson back east is with a mountain of money and the HCing job.  However, I do wonder if he’d consider acting as a consultant for the team?  Other than those two famous names, I’m not sure what to do.  What other options are out there?

*- I’m sympathetic to those who want Haynes fired however.  My concern is that firing a HC with so few games into the season sends a bad signal to other coaching candidates.  Who wants a job where a small losing streak will see you jettisoned, right?  We don’t want the Devils to become the NY Jets.... and I am a Jets fan!  (Lets keep that between us though, okay?  It’s just a little embarrassing...)

Edited by AEWHistory
My auto fill sucks! Keeps turning ‘is’ into ‘I see’ and other stupid things. I hate my iPaD!
  • Like 1

You can't coach size - the Devils defense is woefully small as a group.  Also, their "big" guys Severson/Mueller are pretty soft.

They are way too easy to play against.  Look at St Louis D -5 guys 6' 2"-6' 6" and the others -Vince Dunn and Fowler are 6' but

are great puck movers/shooters

8 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

I don’t post very often but with the poor start by what should have been a much improved Devils team I thought I would chime in.  Although I’m not sure this is a problem solver, it seems to me the first step is removing Nasreddine and bringing in someone else to coach the defense.  How long has Nasreddine been here now?  Because I look at a player like Severson and, at least on paper, it I see difficult to make the argument he I see the quality defensemen we mostly felt he would become.  Every season has been a minus for him.  You can blame the team for some of that, but as a defenseman you could argue he hasn’t lived up to early expectations.  But I still that him or the coaching?   So I looked at Vatanen and his stats have not been nearly a second good since coming here.  Granted, he is older now than in his Anaheim years, but for defensemen more experience is generally a good thing since it takes so long to develop them.  If anything, his additional years should make him better, but he has regressed as a Devil.  That is another sign, for me, that there is a coaching or systematic problem.

Now I’m not quite ready to move on from Hynes*; I’d give him a bit more time but no longer than the new year and perhaps much less depending on performance.  Nasreddine, however, seems like a good target to change things up as it is clear that he is neither developing younger defensemen well nor implementing a good defensive system.  Alternatively, his approach just plain sucks.  

So who do we bring in?  It seemed like Scott Stevens brief coaching tenure did not go well, but I’d like to see what he does under different circumstances.  It seems to me the only way we could lure Larry Robinson back east is with a mountain of money and the HCing job.  Howeve, I do wonder if he’d consider acting as a consultant for the team?  Other than those two famous names, I’m not sure what to do.  What other options are out there?

*- I’m sympathetic to those who want Haynes fired however.  My concern isn’t that firing a HC with so few games into the season sends a bad signal to other coaching candidates.  Who wants a job where a small losing streak will see you jettisoned, right?  We don’t want the Devils to become the NY Jets.... and I am a Jets fan!  (Lets keep that between us though, okay?  It’s just a little embarrassing...)

Good points but it doesn't matter because Hynes will never fire Nasreddine, and Shero won't fire Hynes. So if it becomes a dumpster fire...just observe and watch, that's all you'll be able to do. 

30 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Boqvist has now sat 4 out of 5 games so far.

Might as well have sent him back to Europe at this point.  Hynes and his staff are clueless.

Boqvist is probably wishing he did get sent back at this point. What is he gaining sitting in the press box? It’s ridiculous. 

• Like 2

The only defense there is for Hynes still being the coach as I'm typing this is that Ray needs to get his ducks in a row for his replacement.  If we're lucky, the reason why it already hasn't happened is because the whole staff is going to get the ax at once and there's more to it than replacing just one guy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The only defense there is for Hynes still being the coach as I'm typing this is that Ray needs to get his ducks in a row for his replacement.  If we're lucky, the reason why it already hasn't happened is because the whole staff is going to get the ax at once and there's more to it than replacing just one guy. 

If there is a firing, I'd venture a guess that Alain Nasreddine is definitely out - he's a Hynes-era hire and hasn't produced impressive results. Grier could last just because he doesn't seem that consequential to the staff one way or another - as a new coach, he's here to learn more than anything. I think if anyone had a good chance of outliving Hynes though, it'd be Kowalsky given that he's been with the organization so long. That said, he doesn't seem to have much of a clue himself.

27 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

If there is a firing, I'd venture a guess that Alain Nasreddine is definitely out - he's a Hynes-era hire and hasn't produced impressive results. Grier could last just because he doesn't seem that consequential to the staff one way or another - as a new coach, he's here to learn more than anything. I think if anyone had a good chance of outliving Hynes though, it'd be Kowalsky given that he's been with the organization so long. That said, he doesn't seem to have much of a clue himself.

Kowalsky would be worse than Hynes if that's possible.  It needs to be someone who has proven he can win as an NHL head coach. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Kowalsky would be worse than Hynes if that's possible.  It needs to be someone who has proven he can win as an NHL head coach. 

There's no way Kowalsky would be made head coach - that's not what I was saying...though actually he could be named interim coach. That would be a nightmare.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I disagree. Craig Berube stepped in and won the Cup last year, and he was hardly a proven HC. It just needs to be the right guy. 

Edited by Nicomo