Fire Hynes

Daniel

Absolutely nobody can win with a team shooting 6% and goalies saving 85% of their shots.  

A panic coaching change isn't going to save the season.  That's not to say they shouldn't change coaches, but they should give it more than 5 games, especially when the last 2 were 2 of the 3 team's best.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 10:46 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've lost 27 lbs since April 28...down to 209 now (I haven't been that low since 2010...in the years since, I've usually been between 220 - 245...never again).  Buffets are really kinda lost on me now...back in the day (especially my pre-Type 2 days), I would show up at a buffet wanting to decimate and stuff myself to the absolute hilt...partly because I always felt like I HAD to get my money's worth, which meant eating even more, when I didn't necessarily really want or need to. 

I'm not really like that anymore...I've just gotten used to eating less and eating better (still pick my spots...I'm "good" 80% of the time or so).  One stop at the carving station and a couple of sides and I was good to go...I just didn't feel all that hungry and wasn't craving the "bad" stuff.  Part of the problem is that the restaurant and loge buffets are much better in quality...I'll eat way more there than I will in the club seats now.  My daughter enjoys the club buffets more than I do at this point, which is fine.  I just enjoy hanging with her regardless of where.

And an irony in all of this is that people that I know sometimes act disappointed if I show up where there's going to be a lot of food, and I don't eat like I'm on Death Row.  I was known for my appetite for so long in some circles that some think it's somehow off that I'm not longer finishing off my portions and coming back for seconds and thirds.  Oh well...

Hell yeah buddy, huge congrats to you.  Nothing easy about what you've accomplished. More power to ya!

I'm pretty surprised I didn't wake up to see or read that Hynes was fired.  The silver lining is that when you look at the Standings the teams we've lost to are all in the top 16, some of which are undefeated or close to, but still, you have to draw the line somewhere and at some point you have to pull the trigger and make a decision, even if it's hard.  5 games in and winless, with a couple OT losses, and shutout twice.  You can't just roll with the status quo and expect things to change.  

The disappointment arises fro m.j the off season acquisitions not  only not improving the team, but going in reverse. I think it's fair to blame coaching.  Does Hynes suddenly become smart and get the defense to clear the puck? Stop mid ice cross ice passes? Pucks stripped off Devils sticks in the offensive zone at leisure? I've seen so much poor play that must be corrected by the coaching staff, but continues. Let's just say I am very disappointed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Absolutely nobody can win with a team shooting 6% and goalies saving 85% of their shots.  

A panic coaching change isn't going to save the season.  That's not to say they shouldn't change coaches, but they should give it more than 5 games, especially when the last 2 were 2 of the 3 team's best.

You often fall back to these specific core stats And expect regression to the mean. 

but when your coaching “strategy” calls for low percentage shots and your defense hangs your goalies out to dry, you can get these kind of numbers. 

Hynes has until the 5 day break to get wins. Otherwise he has to go. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

You often fall back to these specific core stats And expect regression to the mean. 

but when your coaching “strategy” calls for low percentage shots and your defense hangs your goalies out to dry, you can get these kind of numbers. 

Hynes's coaching strategy does not call for low percentage shots.  I don't know where that idea would even come from.

6 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Hynes's coaching strategy does not call for low percentage shots.  I don't know where that idea would even come from.

Then why is that what we're seeing?  The idea comes from what's actually occurred, which had been low % shots and chances. 

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

I would hardly call this a panic coaching change.  If a coaching change were to occur, it would be justified and expected.  A panic change would be if an otherwise successful team, who didn't make many off seasons changes or additions, and lost maybe two or three games in a row, suddenly ousted there coach.  That's not at all the situation we're in.  Our case is one where this is our head coaches what, fourth or fifth seaosn at the helm?  With an otherwise pretty abysmal record, MANY off season additions, and a five game losing streak with, as I mentioned, two OT losses and two shutouts.  That's not a formula for success.  It's the players job to execute, but they execute what is supposed to be a winning formula. Right now they're being asked to execute something that is going to, and has, delivered subpar results. 

It's like students in a math class getting C's on their exams because they weren't taught properly.  Bring in an expert teacher with more experience and a better method, and those students, who are intelligent and possess the ability to succeed, will start getting A's. 

• Like 2

What coaches are available that can help jumpstart this team?

Don't know much about Boucher.

You think Jacques Lemaire would come back? I know he's about 90 years old, but I would take him over Hynes any day.

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

He’s had four years.  Since blowing a four goal lead on opening night to an unrested Winnipeg team playing their back up goalie with Neal Pionk as their best defenseman, the team has been thoroughly dominated in every game they’ve played.  They can’t score on the power play,  they can’t penalty kill and can barely score goals, and there are no significant injuries.  This screams incompetent coaching.  But go ahead, just blame “luck” while the house is burning down.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, point said:

The disappointment arises fro m.j the off season acquisitions not  only not improving the team, but going in reverse. I think it's fair to blame coaching.  Does Hynes suddenly become smart and get the defense to clear the puck? Stop mid ice cross ice passes? Pucks stripped off Devils sticks in the offensive zone at leisure? I've seen so much poor play that must be corrected by the coaching staff, but continues. Let's just say I am very disappointed. 

There are esoteric stats that demonstrate the stuff you’re seeing is an illusion, as well as losing games, not scoring goals, etc.

If only you could get the IRS to adopt similar thinking, none of your clients would ever have to pay taxes again.  

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He’s had four years.  Since blowing a four goal lead on opening night to an unrested Winnipeg team playing their back up goalie with Neal Pionk as their best defenseman, the team has been thoroughly dominated in every game they’ve played.  They can’t score on the power play,  they can’t penalty kill and can barely score goals, and there are no significant injuries.  This screams incompetent coaching.  But go ahead, just blame “luck” while the house is burning down.

Again, you're just wrong.  They dominated the Edmonton game.  They significantly outplayed Edmonton and were never behind in that game.

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

I've been assuming that this is where Shero and team ownership are at too. We can debate all day about what is and isn't Hynes' fault and whether the team's 5v5 analytics vindicate Hynes in any way but when you have no wins through the first five games of the season and special teams are this bad, you're on thin ice, period. As you put it, the team shouldn't fire him now, but now it starts to become a very real possibility that it happens.

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Again, you're just wrong.  They dominated the Edmonton game.  They significantly outplayed Edmonton and were never behind in that game.

They lost that game when they needed to win it.  That’s what loser teams with loser coaches do.  Otherwise, their goal differential is a joke, their special teams does the opposite of what it’s supposed to do and they generally cannot score goals.

If this is about trying to get me to come up with as many metaphors as I can for people who don’t recognize a disaster unfolding before their eyes I can do it.

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I've been assuming that this is where Shero and team ownership are at too. We can debate all day about what is and isn't Hynes' fault and whether the team's 5v5 analytics vindicate Hynes in any way but when you have no wins through the first five games of the season and special teams are this bad, you're on thin ice, period. As you put it, the team shouldn't fire him now, but now it starts to become a very real possibility that it happens.

I disagree.  The decision should already have been made to fire him, and if it hasn’t happened yet, it’s only an issue of getting his replacement here

I have seen zero evidence in four years that he knows what he’s doing.  He won’t literally lose every game, and he very well might win one of the next two.  You’re only delaying the inevitable.

You know what could have given him a reprieve, the Devils making a statement and winning big last night.  Lol, like something like that could ever happen.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They lost that game when they needed to win it.  That’s what loser teams with loser coaches do.  Otherwise, their goal differential is a joke, their special teams does the opposite of what it’s supposed to do and they generally cannot score goals.

If this is about trying to get me to come up with as many metaphors as I can for people who don’t recognize a disaster unfolding before their eyes I can do it.

It's not, no, it's just about how your grip on the facts is always, at best, tenuous.  They dominated the Edmonton game.  Just saying stuff about 'losers' isn't enough.  The team could easily be 2-3-0.  The 2012 Devils, a team a lot of people like to go back to, had 3 regulation wins in their first 16 games.  They just managed to win 4 shootouts and pick up 4 points in extra time besides.

Any team can have a 900 PDO stretch over 5 games, and if this was just during the season, people would be upset but it wouldn't lead people to freak out.  

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I disagree.  The decision should already have been made to fire him, and if it hasn’t happened yet, it’s only an issue of getting his replacement here

I have seen zero evidence in four years that he knows what he’s doing.  He won’t literally lose every game, and he very well might win one of the next two.  You’re only delaying the inevitable.

You know what could have given him a reprieve, the Devils making a statement and winning big last night.  Lol, like something like that could ever happen.

You keep saying that they're delaying the inevitable like you can know for sure that's true, but you don't. I've had a lot of criticism for Hynes in the past, but the team chose to stick with him and so I think it's fine to give him the month. I don't necessarily think it's wrong to fire a coach after five games, I just disagree that it needs to happen now. He has three more games to make something happen - given that the Devils have played at least some good 5v5 hockey in recent games, I'll give him that.

12 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

You keep saying that they're delaying the inevitable like you can know for sure that's true, but you don't. I've had a lot of criticism for Hynes in the past, but the team chose to stick with him and so I think it's fine to give him the month. I don't necessarily think it's wrong to fire a coach after five games, I just disagree that it needs to happen now. He has three more games to make something happen - given that the Devils have played at least some good 5v5 hockey in recent games, I'll give him that.

You are not all the sudden going to get a turn around from Hynes, or there’s no evidence from his career as a coach that he will or knows how to. That’s why the only thing that doesn’t make it inevitable is Shero having an irrational attachment to him 

I think a lot of people just latch onto buzz words and then regurgitate them like they are facts. The one recently is “system”. Hynes has no system, the system is terrible, etc. 

I don’t think any of us have a fvcking clue what the “system” is, or whether the players are failing to execute upon it. It’s just easier to say “Hynes sucks, his system sucks”. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think a lot of people just latch onto buzz words and then regurgitate them like they are facts. The one recently is “system”. Hynes has no system, the system is terrible, etc. 

I don’t think any of us have a fvcking clue what the “system” is, or whether the players are failing to execute upon it. It’s just easier to say “Hynes sucks, his system sucks”. 

Hynes sucks because there is no evidence that anything he does can lead to sustainable winning, and it actually shows that he’s a consistent loser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

You are not all the sudden going to get a turn around from Hynes, or there’s no evidence from his career as a coach that he will or knows how to. That’s why the only thing that doesn’t make it inevitable is Shero having an irrational attachment to him 

How much of a turnaround do we really need to start winning games? We're playing pretty even hockey at 5v5 of recent and Hughes keeps getting better and better [and less and less of a liability]. I'll agree that there's no reason to assume that the Devils' special teams will just get better due to the fact that stats tend to regress towards the mean in general - but if the Devils do fix their special teams, they will win games. I'm not saying it's a small order, but it's not unthinkable either. If the Devils were getting crushed at 5v5, I might be more inclined to agree there's no hope - and yet that seems to be the main crux of your argument, but that doesn't seem to me to be true. Alas, in the end you might be proven right about your larger claim that Hynes needs to be fired but I disagree with the nuances of your argument.

Edited by Neb00rs

I've been giving Hynes the benefit of the doubt, but after these past five games and seeing our blown 4-0 loss to the Jets (which I brutally saw live) I'm on the fire Hynes train. His post game interviews lack emotion, passion and any clear sense of direction. The fact that we are still seeing Wood and Rooney on the ice is a sign of delusion. 

Bye Hynes.

Edited by Aznjsn

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I blame Mike Brown’s return to the board. 

• Haha 2