Fire Hynes

Daniel

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I might not be into jerseys as hardcore as you, mfitz, and CR76, but I appreciate the knowledge you guys bring on them. I only bought jerseys from NHL Shop before finding this board. Didn’t know about Meigray or EPS, etc. 

So in short, don’t let one or two trolls discourage you from talking about your collecting. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s interested. 

Thanks for the kind words.  I actually do appreciate it.

Unfortunately over the years it has been more than just a couple of trolls, but I will leave it at that.  It is actually encouraging to see that there are some people who actually don't look at it as something to take shots at even though I will admit collecting other's people used clothing sounds a bit weird when it's described as such lol.

For any Athletic subscribers, I stumbled upon the Devils individual page and saw some of the stats for the year so far compared to all other teams. I'm guessing it's updated regularly:

Goals/Game - 28 out of 31

GA/Game - dead last 31 our of 31

Shooting % - 25 out of 31

Save % - 30 out of 31

SOG/Game - 26 out of 31

Shots against/Game - 17 out of 31

Obviously that's not too pretty. Not giving up the most # of shots in the league is nice, but the rest are cause for concern. Shooting % should probably go up, but the Save % figure is especially ugly. I'm not sure whether to put all of this on the coach, but it does seem easier to replace one coach than a bunch of players.

11 hours ago, slasher72 said:

I think we're stuck with this loser, I think Harris and Blitzer are totally fine with a losing team (look at the 76ers), and I think Shero and Hynes have a very tight friendship and there's no way Shero will fire him.

I think you might have stopped watching the 76er's about 2-3 seasons ago.  They have been pretty good lately.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I still wish Hynes was fired after Monday's game, like that night, or yesterday morning, but I've come to the conclusion that he's not getting canned yet.  I firmly believe he's going to get a minimum of 10 games this season.  We all know they're in an early hole and that each game they lose the hole gets deeper, but all this talk about them being out of the playoff race (seriously, what?! lol) and the winning percentages they'd need to get in is insane.  It might be the lightning-in-a-bottle scenario and 1 in a million chances, but the St. Louis Blues were in last place in the league last year and they won the fvcking Stanley Cup.  Very few GMs are going to can their head coach less than 10 games into the season after having made a lot of roster moves in the off-season, especially when those GMs don't have any suitable replacements lined up, which from what we can gather, Shero does not.  

I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks ago and I'll see if I can find it to quote, but I believe Hynes has until mid/late November to right the ship before he gets the axe.

Okay so, the Blues on 2 January were last place, 34 points but only 11 out of the final spot in the west. That was the last time they saw the basement, mind you they were a single point behind three teams (Ott, Phi, LA), so while it was a cool story/narrative and a fun piece of trivia and history, the gap to close wasn't insurmountable.

Having said that, we're only 4 back, which obviously is not horrendous at all. Lucky for us, most of the conference is playing poorly, but with each game that these guys don't manage to pull a win out of their asses, that mountain to climb gets larger and larger, especially when they're getting awfully used to losing and our coaches quite clearly do not have any answers yet.

37 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Okay so, the Blues on 2 January were last place, 34 points but only 11 out of the final spot in the west. That was the last time they saw the basement, mind you they were a single point behind three teams (Ott, Phi, LA), so while it was a cool story/narrative and a fun piece of trivia and history, the gap to close wasn't insurmountable.

Having said that, we're only 4 back, which obviously is not horrendous at all. Lucky for us, most of the conference is playing poorly, but with each game that these guys don't manage to pull a win out of their asses, that mountain to climb gets larger and larger, especially when they're getting awfully used to losing and our coaches quite clearly do not have any answers yet.

Completely agree, and like I said that was probably a one in a million scenario, but it just goes to show it can happen, and that we are wayyyyyyyyyy too early from thinking about playoff probabilities.  

12 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This seems significant. Fitz there to monitor and adjust. Changes could be coming - especially if there's more losses ahead.

100% agree (man, I use the sh!t out of that phrase both here and in real life), to me this is Ray and Tom doing their final evaluations of who deserves to stay and who goes.

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Caption this?

One of two things:

1) "Are these coaches as sh!tty as you guys look?"

2) "Remember last game, how well you played? Yeah, we're gonna need you to go ahead and keep doing that. That'd be greeeeeeeeeat. Mkay?"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I might not be into jerseys as hardcore as you, mfitz, and CR76, but I appreciate the knowledge you guys bring on them. I only bought jerseys from NHL Shop before finding this board. Didn’t know about Meigray or EPS, etc. 

So in short, don’t let one or two trolls discourage you from talking about your collecting. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s interested. 

Like mfitz said, thanks for the mention.

It's a fun hobby, but one that I realized some time ago is more of a "solitary" kind of venture, and very much a niche kind of thing.  Most people have zero interest, or a "That's cool", very passing interest at best.  It's not everyone's bag and I fully get that...but at the same time, I'm not one to yuck other people's yums...it doesn't bother me when people knock jersey-collecting (so be it), but I never really understand why someone who isn't into any particular thing then decides he's going to knock those who ARE into a particular thing.  We all have our "things" that seem great to us and not so great to others.  My mother-in-law (who is a good person and does mean well most of the time) is one of those types that if she doesn't find something fun or interesting, then it's kinda dumb...yeah, there are times that I've had to do some silent counting to 10 in my head in her presence, when it comes to certain topics (like my cave and general enjoyment of sporting events). 

What's funny is that you often see squabbling within parties that actually do share a particular niche interest.  DM84 can tell you about the crap that goes on within the jersey-collecting community (I'm not really "in" that group at all...outside of some chats with DM84, mfitz and occasionally others on here, for me it's strictly a solo activity).  Some people collect jerseys to do shows and displays...I wear mine to games, for no other reason than I like to...it's part of the whole ritual for me, a big chunk of the fun...but I'm sure if I ever told a large swath of the collector crowd that I actually WEAR my GIs and GWs, they'd lose their "collective" sh!t over it.  Oh well. 

• Like 2