Fire Hynes

Daniel

I miss the days of TG because every so often, especially during the rough patches, he would ask the tough questions to a coach or player. Even Gross did it for the little time he was here.

I had high expectations of Ryan, maybe too high based on the people he was replacing, but I'm disappointed that our reporters are all seemingly trying to keep the peace with the team and not ruffle feathers. I followed Abbey as soon as she was brought on and unfollowed shortly thereafter when it became apparent that other sports were more important, oh well sh!t happens. But you're reporting for a newspaper for the fans to read, not throw a positive spin or protect everyone on the team at all costs. I expect bias in political journalism, not hockey coverage when it should be perfectly acceptable to ask about a decision or a rough night on the ice, that's the freaking point of the job. Then, when fans get escalatingly (not a real word, don't care) more annoyed that these types of questions aren't being heard, to meet certain ones with the pure disdain and sarcasm only fuels the fire.

The only person I'll really give a pass to is Amanda because she is 100% an employee of the team and her job, for the most par,t is to produce content to draw positive attention to the team. I'm not expecting her to be the mouthpiece for the fan base, she's there to draw the casual fan into the happenings off the ice of the team and then build some drama during the games, and also write really neatly.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't follow her because of stuff like this.... 

People complaining about someone's on ice play is perfectly acceptable. Nobody is saying he's a horrible human being. These guys are professional athletes and people spend a lot of time and money on this team. We are allowed to complain on Twitter and here about how guys play.

I also don't think Chris Ryan is any good either with nonsense like this. We have reporters of this team who don't even ask any remotely hard questions. There's no accountability whatsoever. Hell I'd rather Chico Resch be a reporter because at least he wouldn't be trying to argue with people on Twitter instead of asking some serious questions about this team. 

She's not very good in terms of her Twitter and write ups. I think her locker room questions are fine, good even. In any case I'm not opposed to criticism of her. But clearly there are posters here relentlessly attacking her on Twitter - often unfairly from what I've seen personally - and that is quite pathetic. 

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Last season she openly complained on twitter about a live game going into overtime because it meant she had to stay longer.

I miss Tom Gulitti, I think this current group is an absolute waste of time to even read so I don't bother with any of them at the moment. 

We don't have to be Montreal or Toronto where the media is absolutely over the top but we are going to miss the playoffs for the 6th time in 7 seasons with only 1 playoff win in a year we barely made the playoffs. The coaching staff has been given enough leeway and time and with every loss we are moving one step closer towards Hall leaving at the end of the year or being traded.

But there's no accountability here. Nobody asks any serious questions, which is their job to do. Nobody even seems to really care. It's quite sad to me. I don't care about past success. That stuff is almost a decade ago now. This fan base has ever right to be pissed off.

I don't want to read how "so and so is a nice guy please don't say he's not good at hockey because you're hurting his feelings." fvck outta here.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

She's not very good in terms of her Twitter and write ups. I think her locker room questions are fine, good even. In any case I'm not opposed to criticism of her. But clearly there are posters here relentlessly attacking her on Twitter - often unfairly from what I've seen personally - and that is quite pathetic. 

Which posters here are "relentlessly attacking" her on twitter?

Is it me?  All I did was question Abbey on why her first post in 40 minutes during a Devils game was about MLB baseball and I was blocked by her.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Which posters here are "relentlessly attacking" her on twitter?

Is it me?  All I did was question Abbey on why her first post in 40 minutes during a Devils game was about MLB baseball and I was blocked by her.

I also have never tweeted at her, I've read stuff other people have posted on twitter (specifically towards her), and to be fair, most of their stuff was benign, and her over the top responses were unnecessary.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I miss Tom Gulitti, I think this current group is an absolute waste of time to even read so I don't bother with any of them at the moment. 

We don't have to be Montreal or Toronto where the media is absolutely over the top but we are going to miss the playoffs for the 6th time in 7 seasons with only 1 playoff win in a year we barely made the playoffs. The coaching staff has been given enough leeway and time and with every loss we are moving one step closer towards Hall leaving at the end of the year or being traded.

But there's no accountability here. Nobody asks any serious questions, which is their job to do. Nobody even seems to really care. It's quite sad to me. I don't care about past succes. That stuff is almost a decade ago now. This fan base has ever right to be pissed off.

I don't want to read how "so and so is a nice guy please don't say he's not good at hockey because you're hurting his feelings." fvck outta here.

Someone once described Abbey as a glorified news ticker and that's the perfect description of her.  No insight, no analysis, no tough questions, nothing.  Essentially, she thinks asking Hynes "what are your thoughts on the game tonight" after every game is a job well done.  Sorry, but might as well place an intern with a recorder in the locker room for a fraction of the price with that level of content.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

But there's no accountability here. Nobody asks any serious questions, which is their job to do. Nobody even seems to really care. It's quite sad to me. I don't care about past succes. That stuff is almost a decade ago now. This fan base has ever right to be pissed off.

Exactly, I don't think it would be unreasonable after another blown-lead loss for a reporter to ask:

"Coach, your team's blown their 6th multi-goal lead of the season, why do you think they can't seem to drop the hammer in the 3rd?"

"Coach, your fourth line is playing close to, if not equal, minutes to your top line in the third, why is that?"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I miss the days of TG because every so often, especially during the rough patches, he would ask the tough questions to a coach or player. Even Gross did it for the little time he was here.

I had high expectations of Ryan, maybe too high based on the people he was replacing, but I'm disappointed that our reporters are all seemingly trying to keep the peace with the team and not ruffle feathers. I followed Abbey as soon as she was brought on and unfollowed shortly thereafter when it became apparent that other sports were more important, oh well sh!t happens. But you're reporting for a newspaper for the fans to read, not throw a positive spin or protect everyone on the team at all costs. I expect bias in political journalism, not hockey coverage when it should be perfectly acceptable to ask about a decision or a rough night on the ice, that's the freaking point of the job. Then, when fans get escalatingly (not a real word, don't care) more annoyed that these types of questions aren't being heard, to meet certain ones with the pure disdain and sarcasm only fuels the fire.

The only person I'll really give a pass to is Amanda because she is 100% an employee of the team and her job, for the most par,t is to produce content to draw positive attention to the team. I'm not expecting her to be the mouthpiece for the fan base, she's there to draw the casual fan into the happenings off the ice of the team and then build some drama during the games, and also write really neatly.

Absolutely agree with everything. I know she gets some flack but I think Amanda does a great job for what she does, which is basically PR for the team and like you said works directly for them so I don't expect her to ask anything serious. 

Hell even Bryce Salvador openly complains and critiques players more on the TV broadcast and takes everything more seriously than our beat reporters. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Someone once described Abbey as a glorified news ticker and that's the perfect description of her.  No insight, no analysis, no tough questions, nothing.  Essentially, she thinks asking Hynes "what are your thoughts on the game tonight" after every game is a job well done.  Sorry, but might as well place an intern with a recorder in the locker room for a fraction of the price with that level of content.

What ever happened to Dan Rice and Chris Wassel (sp?), I know both of them were credentialed but independent writers, but I feel like I don't even see their stuff come across twitter at any rate anymore.

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely agree with everything. I knlw she gets some flack but I think Amanda does a great job but she's basically PR for the team and like you said works directly for them so I don't expect her to ask anything serious. 

Hell even Bryce Salvador openly complains and critiques players more on the TV broadcast and takes everything more seriously than our beat reporters. 

One of the most underrated acquisitions and additions to Devils coverage, hands down. I absolutely love having Bryce do the Devils' stuff and most everyone knows I wish he'd do the PBP just because of how well he works to explain the game and criticizes when necessary. I also find his voice to be easier on the ears and more likeable as an overall person (last part is 100% my take).

• Like 2

Just now, jagknife said:

What ever happened to Dan Rice and Chris Wassel (sp?), I know both of them were credentialed but independent writers, but I feel like I don't even see their stuff come across twitter at any rate anymore.

I never particularly cared for Dan either.  He often seemed like he wanted to be liked more than anything else.  Frankly, I haven't seen much of his stuff lately too even though I do follow them.

Chris I never really followed.

Corey from the Athletic is my favorite followed my Morreale.

• Like 1

In the imaginary world if this team had 0 coaches and players themselves ran the lineup and game plan decisions they would put together better lineup and better game plan, like “hey Goose you’re pretty offensive minded guy let’s get you in with Trav and Boqvist” type of lineup

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely agree with everything. I know she gets some flack but I think Amanda does a great job for what she does, which is basically PR for the team and like you said works directly for them so I don't expect her to ask anything serious. 

At least part of this is because the beat writer types prob feel like they can't be entirely honest because they are "friends" with the players and don't want to burn bridges by being too honest.

Say what you will about Brooks, cause he is a sh!t, but he has always kept it real(as he saw it). Even with Tortz.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Exactly. Stuff like this is just petulant and pointless, trolling really, with the sole purpose being just to annoy.

So the annoying, petulant and pointless thing is not a sea of fans going online to bash a 26 years old 4th line player getting paid like 700k... it's someone who call them out for being ridiculous? lol interesting

Edited by SterioDesign

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So the annoying, petulant and pointless thing is not a sea of fans going online to bash a 26 years old 4th line player getting paid like 700k... it's someone who call them out for being ridiculous? lol interesting

if you're a reporter, you can easily ignore all the "mean" tweets instead of inciting the already agitated masses, especially when you aren't going to bring any of that attitude towards post game comments that actually put people whom matter on the spot

TG would get snippy back at the fans when it was game 80 and we were still wondering why marty was starting consistently, not game 9 when a prized prospect is on the bench in place of guys we've already talked about at nauseam

sorry to go at you, SD, but she's the worst of the worst of our reporters we've had/have.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't think anyone has a personal vendetta against Kevin Rooney, people aren't wishing ill on his family, or praying he gets injured. That's a disingenuous way to mischaracterize "Devils fans complaining about coach's decision to play [insert 4th liner here] over [Boqvist/Bratt/Gusev] after another loss."

Even you feeling that way is fine, but you're not a Devils beat reporter during a horrendous start to a season. Not saying the people who insult or abuse our beat writers are justified, they're not, some of the stuff said to Amanda or Abbey is not cool at all, pretty awful sometimes. But when one of them keep "poking the bear" with dripping sarcasm and resentment everyday, it's almost like they want to annoy Devils fans even more. It's bad enough we have to watch this team crap the bed early this season, we don't need our few members of the press making it more annoying.

Maybe I'm out of touch with what younger people (I'm 32 lol) want out of the media they follow, maybe they like all the sarcasm and daily complaining about [something] making their day harder today, awwww boohoo? It's not for me, it just seems so annoying and unprofessional.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DJ Eco said:

I don't think anyone has a personal vendetta against Kevin Rooney, people aren't wishing ill on his family, or praying he gets injured. That's a disingenuous way to mischaracterize "Devils fans complaining about coach's decision to play [insert 4th liner here] over [Boqvist/Bratt/Gusev] after another loss."

Even you feeling that way is fine, but you're not a Devils beat reporter during a horrendous start to a season. Not saying the people who insult or abuse our beat writers are cool, they're not, but when they keep poking the bear like this, it's almost like they want to annoy Devils fans even more. It's bad enough we have to watch this team crap the bed early this season, we don't need our few members of the press making it more insufferable.

We aren't even asking for much which makes it even more insane.

I don't think asking Hynes "why did you not decide to use your timeout when the Devils just lost a 4-1 lead within one period?" is something that will get the ire of the Devils and their players.  Either way, a pretty benign question like that is too tall of an order for our beat writers.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jagknife said:

if you're a reporter, you can easily ignore all the "mean" tweets instead of inciting the already agitated masses, especially when you aren't going to bring any of that attitude towards post game comments that actually put people whom matter on the spot

TG would get snippy back at the fans when it was game 80 and we were still wondering why marty was starting consistently, not game 9 when a prized prospect is on the bench in place of guys we've already talked about at nauseam

sorry to go at you, SD, but she's the worst of the worst of our reporters we've had/have.

ah well don't get me wrong i get it. 

I guess there's 2 things here. For one, i still think sh!t behaviour should be called out and not ignored... cause then it's just encouraging it. (i mean as much as i can't stand Subban. I'd never ever go on twitter and tag him in a mean tweet where he can actually see it) And i feel those reporters should at least attempt to keep the fanbase in check as mid-ground between the organization and the fans. Obviously if it's done in a condescending way it's annoying, i'll give you that.

Then about them doing a sh!t job. Well i do agree but we also have to understand that like ANY reporters... they have to push the narrative they are hired to push. They are working FOR the Devils... so they are obviously not going to attempt making the team or coaches look bad.

Larry Brooks and those guys can do that since they are reporting for another entity i guess. Still a sh!tty reporter tho lol

Edited by SterioDesign

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And i feel those reporters should at least attempt to keep the fanbase in check as mid-ground between the organization and the fans. Obviously if it's done in a condescending way it's annoying, i'll give you that.

Then about them doing a sh!t job. Well i do agree but we also have to understand that like ANY reporters... they have to push the narrative they are hired to push. They are working FOR the Devils... so they are obviously not going to attempt making the team or coaches look bad.

Reporters aren't paid to keep the fan base in check especially on Twitter of all places, that's not their job and the real reporters (everyone minus Amanda Stein who is really just a pr person) are not working for the Devils, they are working for the newspapers / whatever media organization they work for. They can ask whatever questions they want. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ah well don't get me wrong i get it. 

I guess there's 2 things here. For one, i still think sh!t behaviour should be called out and not ignored... cause then it's just encouraging it. (i mean as much as i can't stand Subban. I'd never ever go on twitter and tag him in a mean tweet where he can actually see it) And i feel those reporters should at least attempt to keep the fanbase in check as mid-ground between the organization and the fans. Obviously if it's done in a condescending way it's annoying, i'll give you that.

Larry Brooks and those guys can do that since they are reporting for another entity i guess. Still a sh!tty reporter tho lol

Aside from Amanda, none of them are working for the Devils. So that point is moot. Abbey works for the Record and Chris Ryan works for the Star Ledger. They have nothing to do with the team aside from covering them for their respective papers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Aside from Amanda, none of them are working for the Devils. So that point is moot. Abbey works for the Record and Chris Ryan works for the Star Ledger. They have nothing to do with the team aside from covering them for their respective papers.

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Reporters aren't paid to keep the fan base in check especially on Twitter of all places, that's not their job and the real reporters (everyone minus Amanda Stein who is really just a pr person) are not working for the Devils, they are working for the newspapers / whatever media organization they work for. They can ask whatever questions they want. 

yeah i guess you're right when it comes to "not working FOR the Devils. But they are all assigned to cover the Devils specifically though. They all have it in their twitter description.

It shouldnt be but im sure it's still awkward to write negative sh!t about people you have to deal with on a regular basis

37 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i guess you're right when it comes to "not working FOR the Devils. But they are all assigned to cover the Devils specifically though. They all have it in their twitter description.

It shouldnt be but im sure it's still awkward to write negative sh!t about people you have to deal with on a regular basis

You’re right, but I don’t think any of us are asking for, nor expecting, negative questions/comments each press scrum. After a win or a hard fought loss, hell no. I do expect them to ask those tough questions though on losing streaks or when your team blows its 6th lead of the year leading to a loss (or loss in ot/so).

by no means am I saying go nuclear, like you said they have jobs to do and relationships to work/build so they have people to go to game after game. But as has been said multiple times, it’s not out of this world or unheard of to ask why decisions are being made or ice time being spread the way it is. That’s journalism 101 (I’ve taken that class, it’s in there).

the twitter and social media garbage is another issue which I’ll backburner for this, as the lack of accountability and the amount of proverbial kool aid being chugged by the best writers is borderline pathetic.

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You’re right, but I don’t think any of us are asking for, nor expecting, negative questions/comments each press scrum. After a win or a hard fought loss, hell no. I do expect them to ask those tough questions though on losing streaks or when your team blows its 6th lead of the year leading to a loss (or loss in ot/so).

by no means am I saying go nuclear, like you said they have jobs to do and relationships to work/build so they have people to go to game after game. But as has been said multiple times, it’s not out of this world or unheard of to ask why decisions are being made or ice time being spread the way it is. That’s journalism 101 (I’ve taken that class, it’s in there).

the twitter and social media garbage is another issue which I’ll backburner for this, as the lack of accountability and the amount of proverbial kool aid being chugged by the best writers is borderline pathetic.

yeah i think because i'm surrounded by Habs fans... i'm naturally against anything encouraging mass hysteria and at least attempted to keep the fans in check so we don't turn into a joke like they are.

funny/sad story. During the playoffs a few years ago my favourite french stand up comedian from Quebec made a short video of him saying if Ginette Reno couldn't make it that he's offering his service to sing the canadian anthem during the playoffs... he then sang it very poorly and wouldn't know the words for the english part... it was hilarious.

It was funny until MTL lost... the he legit started receiving MULTIPLE death threats from fans saying he was somehow responsible for it because of his anthem lol I remember reading articles about it then and seeing the comments on his fb page. But he just released his show on Netflix.. not sure if you guys can see it in the US but it's worth checking out... he talks about that incident around 13:30... you'd need the subtitles though.

• Like 1