Fire Hynes

Daniel

10 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I've never seen a guy cling to AHL fodder like Hynes - I get that you need 'grit' in your lineup but dressing guys like Hayden and Rooney is just.. it's really inexcusable.

It's not even dressing them...every coach dresses their vet fourth liners that fans don't like.  It's when he employs them that's truly mind-boggling.  Just keep throwing them out there at the end of every period predictably, every coach will RUN their first line on the ice all the time.  Go ahead and run them out there after every PP when teams are going to use their top offensive players who usually don't kill penalties.  Straight bonehead stuff. 

Putting them out there for a defensive draw at the end of the second period against the Giroux line when you have the last change was mind-bogglingly airhead managing even for Hynes.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

Losing faith in Shero by the day...

I don’t see why Fitz can’t just step in as interim coach. Send a message to the team and the fans that losing at such an alarming rate is unacceptable. 

There’s going to be a lot of apathetic Devils fans very soon if this continues. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Losing faith in Shero by the day...

I don’t see why Fitz can’t just step in as interim coach. Send a message to the team and the fans that losing at such an alarming rate is unacceptable. 

There’s going to be a lot of apathetic Devils fans very soon if this continues. 

All Ray needs to do is call me. I promise you guys I’ll let Boqvist play. 

• Like 1

There are some legitimate concerns with how the team is playing. Last two games they played well but even at their best, even when dominating they look a bit chaotic out there. The defensive pairs often look out of sync with each other and the forwards, PK Subban, and others, are doing something different with their play every game, and as games go into the third period and opponents pick it up, we don't seem to have any answers. It's a little weird Hynes has resorted to showing them inspirational videos of Rory Mcilroy, it's almost an admission that you're out of answers. 

• Like 2

Seems to have turned it around a bit? What's he done? Devils have looked mostly good of late, maybe it just took only average goaltending to rescue the team.

Special mention to Miles Wood too, who's started to bring some of those unique qualities back to the game.

5 minutes ago, NQDevil said:

Seems to have turned it around a bit? What's he done? Devils have looked mostly good of late, maybe it just took only average goaltending to rescue the team.

Special mention to Miles Wood too, who's started to bring some of those unique qualities back to the game.

So if you listen to certain players, a lot say road trips bring the team closer together since they're around one another a lot more compared to being at home when everyone is with their families and doing their own thing. This could very well be the case with this team where a road trip could finally bring them together.

That being said, I'm not willing to turn down the heat on any of our coaches just yet, we had a 4 game winning streak to open last year and we faded away very fast. I'm hopeful as any fan would be that this is going to become the norm, but I'm very very cautious to say we're out of the woods with this squad.

So if you listen to certain players, a lot say road trips bring the team closer together since they're around one another a lot more compared to being at home when everyone is with their families and doing their own thing. This could very well be the case with this team where a road trip could finally bring them together.
That being said, I'm not willing to turn down the heat on any of our coaches just yet, we had a 4 game winning streak to open last year and we faded away very fast. I'm hopeful as any fan would be that this is going to become the norm, but I'm very very cautious to say we're out of the woods with this squad.
Ah that's interesting.

One of the things that struck me when I read some Athletic season preview stuff was how much the other NHL coaches rate Hynes. It'd be a shame to never see what he can do with a really talented roster, hope they keep this run together.

1 minute ago, NQDevil said:

Ah that's interesting.

One of the things that struck me when I read some Athletic season preview stuff was how much the other NHL coaches rate Hynes. It'd be a shame to never see what he can do with a really talented roster, hope they keep this run together.

I find Hynes has two big flaws:

1.) Blind freaking loyalty to a system. Be it loyalty to a guy who clearly cannot manage a defensive strategy in Nasraddine, to his own failure to adapt to the game at hand, Hynes is too loyal (maybe wrong word) and seems to not change his thinking well, if at all.

2.) His asset management is suspect. His lineup decisions sometimes pay way off, such as recently or during the heater early-mid season two years ago when we made the playoffs but others are terrible. It flows from my previous point but he doesn't handle matchups well at all and his "lets throw the lines in a blender" crap when things are going well is very frustrating to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I find Hynes has two big flaws:

1.) Blind freaking loyalty to a system. Be it loyalty to a guy who clearly cannot manage a defensive strategy in Nasraddine, to his own failure to adapt to the game at hand, Hynes is too loyal (maybe wrong word) and seems to not change his thinking well, if at all.

2.) His asset management is suspect. His lineup decisions sometimes pay way off, such as recently or during the heater early-mid season two years ago when we made the playoffs but others are terrible. It flows from my previous point but he doesn't handle matchups well at all and his "lets throw the lines in a blender" crap when things are going well is very frustrating to me.

He holds guys like Rooney with "compete" way too high. When Bratt comes back Rooney better find his way out of the lineup and shuffle things accordingly.

Something like this? I am not good at this sort of thing. Goose gets sheltered and Coleman's offense is a bit wasted on that line but it still carries the "energy" Hynes wants but with more skill and responsible players. AKA Not Rooney.

Hall/Hughes/Palms

Zacha/Nico/Bratt

Goose/Zajac/Boqvist

Wood/Coleman/Simmonds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NQDevil said:

Found the Hynes burner account.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He holds guys like Rooney with "compete" way too high. When Bratt comes back Rooney better find his way out of the lineup and shuffle things accordingly.

Something like this? I am not good at this sort of thing. Goose gets sheltered and Coleman's offense is a bit wasted on that line but it still carries the "energy" Hynes wants but with more skill and responsible players. AKA Not Rooney.

Hall/Hughes/Palms

Zacha/Nico/Bratt

Goose/Zajac/Boqvist

Wood/Coleman/Simmonds

I like those lines.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:58 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

Hall/Hughes/Palms

Zacha/Nico/Bratt

Goose/Zajac/Boqvist

Wood/Coleman/Simmonds

you do realize Rooney is the only player in the league with over 100 minutes logged and hasn't given up a goal. Yeah he doesn't score but he's doing something else better than pretty much anyone else on the team

True about Rooney - the only player with at least 100 minutes of TOI (usually that's about 9/10 games for a 4th line player) and not a single goal against at 5v5. 4th line players aren't on the ice enough to allow many goals - but it's been a good run nonetheless, and he stands alone with zero against. Rooney isn't the best 4th line player we've ever seen, but he's a solid one - and has enough speed to make things look okay next to Miles Wood.

The one criticism could be that Wood-Rooney-Hayden, as a trio, hasn't generated enough offensive chances relative to their opponents (a difficult criticism of a fourth line to be fair) but Wood-Rooney-Simmonds, with a small sample size of 22:16 TOI at 5v5 has a CF% of 56.82 or 25-19 shots attempts for vs. against. That combination seems to be a good fourth line- though, Simmonds isn't necessarily a fourth liner.

4 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

you do realize Rooney is the only player in the league with over 100 minutes logged and hasn't given up a goal. Yeah he doesn't score but he's doing something else better than pretty much anyone else on the team

You're one of the guys from Devils Insiders, aren't you? or you just follow them?

Either way, I had no clue. I withdraw some of my Rooney bitching.

Yeah, it's time to bring down the axe. It'd be one thing if it was just bad goaltending and we had a bunch of those 7-6 games. But we're terrible at scoring and generating offense - that's really not excusable. The not "gelling" thing was cute a few weeks ago - now, with little improvement to be seen, there's not any real way to defend Hynes. Losing the third period shot attempts battle tonight when you desperately need goals - just no good.

The thing is, when the guy is putting out lines like Zacha-Hughes-Gusev and Boqvist-Hughes-Bratt, it's almost like he's been told his job isn't under threat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

You're one of the guys from Devils Insiders, aren't you? or you just follow them?

Either way, I had no clue. I withdraw some of my Rooney bitching.

Not saying he's our best player, he isn't, but he isn't close to the list of problems we have. We have probably 99 problems and he ain't one