Fire Hynes

Daniel

On 11/27/2019 at 1:42 PM, Aznjsn said:

It's beyond insane, the amount of wtf lineups we've seen this year aside from opening day.

What frustrates me is that then these guys come back (Zacha, Bratt, Gusev) and have some productive games, and, judging by his track record, Hynes really seems to think it was the benching that did it... and not just the fact that, law of averages, the more you play these guys, they're likely to produce for us. He hits us with that, "We gave them a break for a couple days, they came back and responded..." like, no, no, no, 9 times out of 10 that's not what happened. You gave them a couple games off, our grit guys didn't do anything during that time when the guys you benched could've, and then they came back and you think they "responded."

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Because Shero is waiting for him to get hurt, clearly.

And not only do you have injury risk waiting longer to trade Hall but you’ll have fewer suitors as some teams become aware they’re not playoff contenders. Deal him now to maximize the bidding wars.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, devlman said:

And not only do you have injury risk waiting longer to trade Hall but you’ll have fewer suitors as some teams become aware they’re not playoff contenders. Deal him now to maximize the bidding wars.

We’re going to maximize the bidding wars when Hall has three goals and teams are up against the cap?

i don't understand the situation at all. Shero has never let a top UFA get this far ever. Not sure why he's making an exception this time around
Probably because Hall missed most of last season and Shero couldn't start evaluating him until he played in real games this season.

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i don't understand the situation at all. Shero has never let a top UFA get this far ever. Not sure why he's making an exception this time around

It's the first top UFA he's had that didn't want to resign so now he has a high end UFA rental on his hands and will deal him at the deadline.

55 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

that's not true Jordan Staal didn't want to resign and he got traded right away

Was thinking Crosby and Malkin, yeah you could say Staal qualifies, Hall would be ahead of him and behind Geno and Crosby. 

I guess it's just a different situation. After winning Stanley cups in Pittsburgh and still not wanting to stay, Staal probably had his mind made up no matter whereas Hall didn't. I think Hall wanted to see how the year in Jersey went and if the team was a winner he would stay but it's been a loser so he doesn't. Shero could have traded Hall this offseason but he felt the time had come where he was in position to soup up the roster and thought the team would do well and upon seeing that Hall would resign. Just a theory

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

that's not true Jordan Staal didn't want to resign and he got traded right away

He did say “top UFA” which I wouldn’t consider Staal having been. I’d imagine it’s a lot harder to get what you feel like is a fair offer for a former MVP in his prime. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He did say “top UFA” which I wouldn’t consider Staal having been. I’d imagine it’s a lot harder to get what you feel like is a fair offer for a former MVP in his prime. 

you're arguing my case better than I am lol.

There was so much optimism during the offseason that the consensus was we would be a lot better and Shero probably thought Hall would resign, plus there was the injury situation in the mix. Other teams probably wanted to see a healthy Hall before trading a lot to get him. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It's not really that hard to understand.  Like Crisis and ACR alluded to, Hall being injured made everything more complicated.  Teams clearly weren't going to offer great value for Hall without knowing how healthy or effective he'd be...more likely, there would be lowball offers that would have Devils fans bitching about the return.  And I think even now Shero still hasn't fully ruled out re-signing him.  Shero didn't take on three years of PK thinking this season was going to blow up early...he thought this team was going to contend for a playoff berth, and any plan involving that scenario had Hall being a Devil in 2019-20.  I think there was enough dialogue on both sides that they were both very open to Hall staying...I've seem some say that Hall never wanted to be here at all and was never keen on sticking around, but I don't agree...I think he does like it here, but needed to see that the Devils were ready to at least become a perennial playoff team.  Safe to say that things haven't gone according to plan at all (starting with Cory winding back up in Bingo yet again, and PK clearly being past his prime), which sucks but does happen...at least Shero still has time to deal Hall before the deadline.

The good news is that even though Hall's not scoring as many goals as expected, he's still putting up points and still getting shots on goal.  He's doing enough that I think a team that thinks he can help them this season will give up something solid...probably not quite as much as we'd like to see, but more than Shero could've hoped for in the offseason.  It's easy for another GM to look at Hall's numbers and think "Once his shooting% normalizes, he'll be having a heckuva year.  He can help us!" 

Of course, since we see him every game, we know that even though he's had some bad puck luck, something seems missing with him...with him, it doesn't feel like he's snakebit as much as his opportunities just seem very meh...I've sadly reached the point that when I see him get a prime chance, I'm not expecting much.  He has hit some crossbars at least.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I think some of you guys are not being realistic about Hall’s desire to be here. “I want to see how it’s going”, to me, is code for “I’m not re-signing my one big free agent deal in a place I never chose to be that is also a dumpster fire”. 

I don’t think he’s considering it, I think Ray knows it, and if anything is being held up by his injury last year, it’s working out an appropriate trade as CR1976 and his past self Antiquated CR said above.

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's not really that hard to understand.  Like Crisis and ACR alluded to, Hall being injured made everything more complicated.  Teams clearly weren't going to offer great value for Hall without knowing how healthy or effective he'd be...more likely, there would be lowball offers that would have Devils fans bitching about the return.  And I think even now Shero still hasn't fully ruled out re-signing him.  Shero didn't take on three years of PK thinking this season was going to blow up early...he thought this team was going to contend for a playoff berth, and any plan involving that scenario had Hall being a Devil in 2019-20.  I think there was enough dialogue on both sides that they were both very open to Hall staying...I've seem some say that Hall never wanted to be here at all and was never keen on sticking around, but I don't agree...I think he does like it here, but needed to see that the Devils were ready to at least become a perennial playoff team.  Safe to say that things haven't gone according to plan at all (starting with Cory winding back up in Bingo yet again, and PK clearly being past his prime), which sucks but does happen...at least Shero still has time to deal Hall before the deadline.

The good news is that even though Hall's not scoring as many goals as expected, he's still putting up points and still getting shots on goal.  He's doing enough that I think a team that thinks he can help them this season will give up something solid...probably not quite as much as we'd like to see, but more than Shero could've hoped for in the offseason.  It's easy for another GM to look at Hall's numbers and think "Once his shooting% normalizes, he'll be having a heckuva year.  He can help us!" 

Of course, since we see him every game, we know that even though he's had some bad puck luck, something seems missing with him...with him, it doesn't feel like he's snakebit as much as his opportunities just seem very meh...I've sadly reached the point that when I see him get a prime chance, I'm not expecting much.  He has hit some crossbars at least.

The whole injury thing is really just a really good excuse to me cause sure it "makes sense" but we know damn well that most GM don't really care. Once there's a bidding war guys always get a big return or contract no matter what. Dehaan signed for 4 years after a shoulder injury and having not played a single game.

Like mfitz804 just said, it was pretty clear based on Hall's dialog that he was reaaally open to leave. IMO you can't gamble with a top asset like this, especially with his injury history. 

Hey at least you see i was not biased against Lou all along. I've definitively been Shero's biggest fan here but you just can't take risks like this with your top UFA. 

We're legit risking Hall getting hurt and losing him for nothing right now. We're really not in a position to lose all those potential assets for nothing

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

The whole injury thing is really just a really good excuse to me cause sure it "makes sense" but we know damn well that most GM don't really care. Once there's a bidding war guys always get a big return or contract no matter what. Dehaan signed for 4 years after a shoulder injury and having not played a single game.

Like mfitz804 just said, it was pretty clear based on Hall's dialog that he was reaaally open to leave. IMO you can't gamble with a top asset like this, especially with his injury history. 

Hey at least you see i was not biased against Lou all along. I've definitively been Shero's biggest fan here but you just can't take risks like this with your top UFA. 

We're legit risking Hall getting hurt and losing him for nothing right now. We're really not in a position to lose all those potential assets for nothing

We could get Draistl and MacDavid for Hall and Ray would manage to fvck it up and keep tanking.  Worst GM in the NHL.

On 11/29/2019 at 8:25 AM, DJ Eco said:

What frustrates me is that then these guys come back (Zacha, Bratt, Gusev) and have some productive games, and, judging by his track record, Hynes really seems to think it was the benching that did it... and not just the fact that, law of averages, the more you play these guys, they're likely to produce for us. He hits us with that, "We gave them a break for a couple days, they came back and responded..." like, no, no, no, 9 times out of 10 that's not what happened. You gave them a couple games off, our grit guys didn't do anything during that time when the guys you benched could've, and then they came back and you think they "responded."

Yep. Or the game on Thanksgiving and Boqvist played a total of 2 1/2 minutes in the second period, yet he scored a goal... 🤔... 

Meanwhile Hynes is like "it worked!" .