Fire Hynes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"No no no I didn't say that stuff. That was another Fitz."

Fvck it, you get the rarely seen tribute meme.  

I might not be into jerseys as hardcore as you, mfitz, and CR76, but I appreciate the knowledge you guys bring on them. I only bought jerseys from NHL Shop before finding this board. Didn’t know about

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s he’s still the coach. This is annoying.

We traded a bunch of picks to bring in Subban and Gusev, if Shero thinks this kind of result is acceptable than he’s not what I thought he was. Which is one of the best GM’s in the league, and the guy that’s going to build a contender in NJ. 

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Something to keep in mind:  Ray is clearly attached to Hynes, and there has to be reasons why...Shero's not an idiot...he saw something in Hynes to keep him here this long.  Shero stuck with him through the lean years...sure, part of that is that Shero knew that Hynes wasn't going to have much to work with initially, but Shero clearly thought (and maybe even still thinks) that Hynes could grow with the team, and be the right guy to lead them to and through better times, once there were enough horses. 

It sucks when you're forced to recalibrate your expectations.  On that level I feel for Shero...I think that he still thinks pretty highly of Hynes, and probably envisioned that they would lead the Devils to SC contention together.  But I think Shero is seeing that this just isn't meant to be, and is as stunned by this brutal start as we are.  He likely knows with each awful loss that he can't let this season die on the vine...there were reasons in the past not to try to quick-fix seasons that were coming apart, but there really isn't one this season...he made enough "right now" kinds of moves that there has to be a lot more urgency this year.

And on another note, while the 2019 Mets are still fresh in my mind...god I hope PK isn't the next coming of Robinson Cano.  Because that's who he makes me think of at the moment. 

You could take your first few sentences, replace Hynes with Muller, and really start to wonder if Ray's inability to cut losses when he needs to is going to become a bigger issue down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I understand wanting someone to pan out, especially when its a coach and the options are not very enticing out there, but at some point, you see nearly two identical losses within the first 6 games of the season, see piss poor efforts in another 2 games, and quickly we're going from "This team should be a wild card" to "for the love of god, I thought our lottery pick days were over...."

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You could take your first few sentences, replace Hynes with Muller, and really start to wonder if Ray's inability to cut losses when he needs to is going to become a bigger issue down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I understand wanting someone to pan out, especially when its a coach and the options are not very enticing out there, but at some point, you see nearly two identical losses within the first 6 games of the season, see piss poor efforts in another 2 games, and quickly we're going from "This team should be a wild card" to "for the love of god, I thought our lottery pick days were over...."

If Hynes is still here 15+ games in and the Devils are still floundering, then I'd say you could worry about this. 

I don't get the impression that Shero is a "sentimental to a fault" kind of guy...like others have said, I'm guessing Hynes gets the next two games, with his team having to show a lot more.  The Devils will have exactly one game from 10/20 - 10/29.  That's the perfect time to bring in a new coach...he'll have some time to at least begin to implement his ideas. 

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

We traded a bunch of picks to bring in Subban and Gusev, if Shero thinks this kind of result is acceptable than he’s not what I thought he was. Which is one of the best GM’s in the league, and the guy that’s going to build a contender in NJ. 

Shero also doesn't strike as a "complacent to a fault" kind of guy either.  He made bold moves this season for a reason...he thinks that the Devils are ready to take a step forward.  Barring a huge rash of injuries, I don't think he's ready to let this season die before it even has a chance to breathe.  If he doesn't see something on the ice VERY soon, Hynes won't survive this. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Hynes is still here 15+ games in and the Devils are still floundering, then I'd say you could worry about this. 

I don't get the impression that Shero is a "sentimental to a fault" kind of guy...like others have said, I'm guessing Hynes gets the next two games, with his team having to show a lot more.  The Devils will have exactly one game from 10/20 - 10/29.  That's the perfect time to bring in a new coach...he'll have some time to at least begin to implement his ideas. 

Agreed, it was more of a tongue in check comment, but veiled in some reality with Mueller just really not working out, which is a goddamn shame considering how good he looked before breaking his collar bone in that weird game against Chicago.

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It would have been stupid to fire him when he had a crap roster, or the season they made the playoffs, so no, you were not right the entire time.

Expectations were higher this season with some of the moves Shero made over the summer though. Now it’s time for Hynes to go. 

I was right the ENTIRE time...

• Angry 1

Well were already headed to game 7 into a young season and were at the bottom. I originally had said  Hynes probably gets 20 games but now the way this team is playing maybe 10. But from a fans eye , I have no idea what Hynes system is, But what I've seen so far every team we face has countered and adjusted, Hynes has not, I just dont get it.Our all around defensive game has really sucked, as a whole we are giving up way to many offensive opportunities. Its showing specially 2 of the games we played so far we had a comfortable lead.  Note to Hynes: Does your so called system, include defensive play seriously. Neutral zone play non existent, Opposing player always getting a free pass. Almost every game were playing on our heels, and we wonder why were pinned down. Giving up turn overs in our D zone. Its really tough to watch.  Sorry guys for the long winded post.  

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Technically you’re only right if they fire him and then they improve. If they get a different coach with the same results...

A clock is right twice a day or whatever. Mikepeluso8 screams warnings apocalyptic sized disasters constantly. Eventually he's bound to be right if he screams it long enough. 

Edit: Broken clock*

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

I have never been a fan of making a change for the sake of a shake up, I am more of a evidence based person ( probably due to my job) and everything is pointing towards this being a coaching problem. I say that very broadly it is more than just the head coach. Our PP has been stagnant for many years now, Our PK was not bad last year has turned upside down with no sign of repair. What is very worrying is when you start to lose the locker room that is I'm afraid when the coach is the one who is most at fault.

Are we at that point? 

Do you blow up the coaching staff?

Who is available that would make a difference? 

I also don't believe anyone has the stomach for another rookie coach.

Like many have said this is a very early part of our season to blow it all up and start thinking about another high draft pick. My feeling is they will try and patch work the coaching staff until we hit point of being eliminated. If that point happens I don't even think Ray's job is safe. 

I really hope a turn around starts as early as Thursday against a bitter rival. Lets Go NJD !!!!!

Someone email the hashynesbeenfiredyet.com site to John and let’s see what he writes back.  Gotta imagine his email is jhynes at newjerseydevils.com, right?

Friend of mine said he heard a rumor, Schneider for Quick.  No idea if that’s true or not but I’ll take any rumor about anything right now.

Edited by ajsgolf
4 minutes ago, Devs1965 said:

I have never been a fan of making a change for the sake of a shake up, I am more of a evidence based person ( probably due to my job) and everything is pointing towards this being a coaching problem. I say that very broadly it is more than just the head coach. Our PP has been stagnant for many years now, Our PK was not bad last year has turned upside down with no sign of repair. What is very worrying is when you start to lose the locker room that is I'm afraid when the coach is the one who is most at fault.

Are we at that point? 

Like many have said this is a very early part of our season to blow it all up and start thinking about another high draft pick. My feeling is they will try and patch work the coaching staff until we hit point of being eliminated. If that point happens I don't even think Ray's job is safe. 

I really hope a turn around starts as early as Thursday against a bitter rival. Lets Go NJD !!!!!

If you're an evidence based person, there's zero evidence that Hynes can coach in the NHL.  In four years, he squeaked into the playoffs once, and in twice had teams finish in the bottom five of the league.  No, he didn't have the Lightning's roster, but it wasn't bad enough to get consistently thrashed like they did last year.  And now, he's been given a very good roster, and the team literally is not winning and literally not scoring on the powerplay.  The only thing you can say is that his "luck" will turn around, which is just another way of saying that coaching doesn't matter, which is utter hogwash. 

Analytics tolerates losing so long as their models can't really explain what's going on, hence "I don't know, therefore luck."   If Hynes is coaching past this week, we know who's in charge.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Devs1965 said:

Are we at that point? 

At this point if I'm the Head Coach and I seriously want to keep my job, I'd seriously look at the first 6 games, and implement some kind of Defensive structure. Cause it looks like Hynes doesn't adjust to anything. Our NZ play  horrific. Opposing player getting free passes right thru to our offensive zone. 

Its evident this team does not play defensively  well, under Hynes FAS system. Giving up over 4+ goals PG. 

Edited by Gunslinger27
  • Like 1

At the end of the day it is on Hynes to right the ship, but I can't help but to feel he is about to fall on a sword and forfeit his job to save face with his staff who are failing him. Whatever Nas is doing isn't working. Whatever those Sens said in that Uber in Arizona could be NJ soon.

15 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

and I am going to soap box for a minute so spare me the friendly fire but...

all you guys (90% of you) with your cute little jersey collections and your die hard "devils fandom" have been killing me on here for several seasons when I have been calling for Hynes head.  And now look at it...?  What do you see?

I will wait for some apologies...ahemmmmm....

90% of your posts are clearly meant to stir the pot, be annoying/abrasive, anything to get a reaction, etc...so of course you're going to make a comment about jersey collections and diehard fandom, to try to provoke someone to fire back.  The problem here of course is 90% of the time, fans here ignore you. 

Nicomo's response to you summed it all up perfectly, re:  Hynes. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If you're an evidence based person, there's zero evidence that Hynes can coach in the NHL.  In four years, he squeaked into the playoffs once, and in twice had teams finish in the bottom five of the league.  No, he didn't have the Lightning's roster, but it wasn't bad enough to get consistently thrashed like they did last year.  And now, he's been given a very good roster, and the team literally is not winning and literally not scoring on the powerplay.  The only thing you can say is that his "luck" will turn around, which is just another way of saying that coaching doesn't matter, which is utter hogwash. 

Analytics tolerates losing so long as their models can't really explain what's going on, hence "I don't know, therefore luck."   If Hynes is coaching past this week, we know who's in charge.

Agreed Hynes is a problem but I also believe he is only part of the problem. With really no quick fix in sight. The coaches around him are also an issue. Assistants Alain Nasreddine has reallly been a mess, Who replaces him? Many say Scott Stevens but not sure he would even take the job but he would at least demand accountability. Rick Kowalsky, lets face it as much as a popular choice he was,  our PP has really sucked with him! Who do you bring in there? Changing just the head coach just does not solve all our issues. I get it its a start but this is a much deeper problem with no quick fix, In my Opinion.

Edited by Devs1965
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

At the end of the day it is on Hynes to right the ship, but I can't help but to feel he is about to fall on a sword and forfeit his job to save face with his staff who are failing him. Whatever Nas is doing isn't working. Whatever those Sens said in that Uber in Arizona could be NJ soon.

Hynes System:

image.png.f841c410aa02be4b647a69a9248e179d.png

16 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

and I am going to soap box for a minute so spare me the friendly fire but...

all you guys (90% of you) with your cute little jersey collections and your die hard "devils fandom" have been killing me on here for several seasons when I have been calling for Hynes head.  And now look at it...?  What do you see?

I will wait for some apologies...ahemmmmm....

What is with this forum and attacking people who collect jerseys?

• Like 2