Fire Hynes

All of the momentum the franchise has built up over the summer has been drained by this start and I think a coaching change is absolutely warranted at this point.  There's just a dark cloud hanging over the franchise already as if we're about to throw away another season.   While the problems go beyond just coaching, Hynes has been here long enough that I think it's clear he's not part of the solution either.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"No no no I didn't say that stuff. That was another Fitz."

Fvck it, you get the rarely seen tribute meme.  

I might not be into jerseys as hardcore as you, mfitz, and CR76, but I appreciate the knowledge you guys bring on them. I only bought jerseys from NHL Shop before finding this board. Didn’t know about

Posted Images

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Did you really only join this site 3 months before I did?  I thought you were here in the mid 2000s like some of these other regulars/long-timers.

Yup. It's any one of the following:

1) I'm awesome so you feel like everyone's known me forever. 

2) I'm super intelligent about hockey stuff so it seems like I have tons of experience on the board.

3) I have posted more in 6 years than most people have in 20. 

4) My meme game is light years ahead of what it should be. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

A change of SOME KIND has to be made. A trade, a firing- SOMETHING. Clearly Fitzgerald going down behind the bench hasn’t helped much.

On who?? I missed that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

The team is very weird.  They feel like the 2010 MacLean experiment but not at the same time.

They feel the same in that both teams had the talent to be successful but they just look completely out of whack.

They are different in that while MacLean's teams were often out of the game shortly after puck drop, Hynes' team this year actually gets 1, 2, 3 and even 4 goal leads and still manage to lose.

Exactly, all of this is completely unacceptable and needs to start somewhere.

Blown leads happen, I’m not naive to think once we get a lead we’ll never lose it, but 5 times in 10 games, at home nonetheless, and three of those are multi goal leads shows a huge problem in that locker room. Coaching, goaltending skaters,, something needs to give. We’re now 7 out of a playoff spot and are floundering badly.

that was a sh!tty Tampa team that is all out of sync, we came off a one game in 11 days swing meanwhile they played the night before and got rocked, yet we still couldn’t drop the hammer on them. It’s pathetic. This roster is too talented and there are too many vets to be this much of mental midgets when they have the lead.

24 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Blown leads happen, I’m not naive to think once we get a lead we’ll never lose it, but 5 times in 10 games, at home nonetheless, and three of those are multi goal leads shows a huge problem in that locker room. Coaching, goaltending skaters,, something needs to give. We’re now 7 out of a playoff spot and are floundering badly.

that was a sh!tty Tampa team that is all out of sync, we came off a one game in 11 days swing meanwhile they played the night before and got rocked, yet we still couldn’t drop the hammer on them. It’s pathetic. This roster is too talented and there are too many vets to be this much of mental midgets when they have the lead.

I'm not sure if coaching is the entire issue, or part of it, or whatever. But I will say, there have been situations in history where a shake up caused by a coaching change is exactly what a franchise needed, and that writing's kind of on the wall here. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure if coaching is the entire issue, or part of it, or whatever. But I will say, there have been situations in history where a shake up caused by a coaching change is exactly what a franchise needed, and that writing's kind of on the wall here. 

I just read he (Hynes) showed them video of Rory MacIlroy (sp?) in clutch situations (trying to find the tweet)... at this point just put on 'Miracle' and freaking hope if that is your plan to address closing out games. Holy sh!t...

EDIT:

Edited by jagknife
6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I just read he (Hynes) showed them video of Rory MacIlroy (sp?) in clutch situations (trying to find the tweet)... at this point just put on 'Miracle' and freaking hope if that is your plan to address closing out games. Holy sh!t...

EDIT:

Meh - I get it. Hynes trying to keep it loose.

35 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Again, this is just looking past how the team actually played when they got the lead last night.  They were dominant.  In the third period, Tampa directed 8 shots towards net, and the Devils directed 26 - the Devils got outscored 3-2.  I don't think Tampa scored a clean goal, either - all 3 pucks hit something on their way into the net.  

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

EDIT:

Mentally weak.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

EDIT:

Scraping the bottom of the barrel of ideas.

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Again, this is just looking past how the team actually played when they got the lead last night.  They were dominant.

And they lost. Again. So I don’t care how dominant they were. It gets late early and if they don’t start actually winning some of these games, the season will be over before Thanksgiving.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

And they lost. Again. So I don’t care how dominant they were. It gets late early and if they don’t start actually winning some of these games, the season will be over before Thanksgiving.

That might happen.  All a coach can do is control the process.  They can't control the results.  The process has been bad at points this season, but last night was not one of those nights.

5 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Again, this is just looking past how the team actually played when they got the lead last night.  They were dominant.  In the third period, Tampa directed 8 shots towards net, and the Devils directed 26 - the Devils got outscored 3-2.  I don't think Tampa scored a clean goal, either - all 3 pucks hit something on their way into the net.  

2 points to show for that dominance out of 5 games, Tri. The blame falls somewhere, it might not be solely on any singular person but it needs to come down eventually.

Goalies? Coaches? Skaters? All of the above? Don’t care, someone needs to be accountable. Like DM84 said, you pull a goalie after 3 goals, his fault or not, to give the team a shot in the arm. We’ve blown 5 damn games. The need a kick in the ass more than a shot in the arm.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

That might happen.  All a coach can do is control the process.  They can't control the results.  The process has been bad at points this season, but last night was not one of those nights.

I agree last night was not on the coaches, but it’s happening too much in 10 games. That’s a big damn problem.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I commented on your post a couple weeks ago on how you are a results driven guy, but now I am right there with you. It has been a month and we have F-all to show for it. Nothing but some moral victories and blindly searching for positives like trying to find peanuts in a heap of sh!t. 7 points out of a possible 20 -- They are about to have their asses against the fire and need a near perfect, within expectations, performance to make the post-season.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I commented on your post a couple weeks ago on how you are a results driven guy, but now I am right there with you. It has been a month and we have F-all to show for it. Nothing but some moral victories and blindly searching for positives like trying to find peanuts in a heap of sh!t. 7 points out of a possible 20 -- They are about to have their asses against the fire and need a near perfect, within expectations, performance to make the post-season.

For the Devils to get 98 points this season, they will have to go 45-26-1 the rest of the way.

Whether fans on here want to accept it or not - the Devils played really well last night and the only reason they lost was goaltending and a bit of bad luck. Though, this board is in a state right now where people are saying some pretty ridiculous things.

If the Devils had just gotten below league average goaltending, they would have won last night. But they didn't. They got below below league average goaltending. Even PK, the guy who people love to bash, while he didn't have his best game, played well enough for the Devils to win with decent goaltending. The skaters absolutely dominated the Lightning last night. And yes, with improved goaltending, the Devils will win games if they continue to play like that. What Triumph is saying isn't all that radical - it's pretty close to just being factual.

Edited by Neb00rs

Wow they almost won games when they're at home playing teams that either aren't playing well themselves or aren't exactly the cream of the crop to begin with, and generally with more rest to boot.  Pretty much nobody else other than a horrible Ottawa team would have lost last night with the crappy effort the Lightning gave.  They won't even have leads to blow when they start going on the road and playing tougher teams after the schedule tightens up.

Nobody wants to hear excuses because it's been several years of excuses and rationalizations already.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

Yeah, it's essentially as simple and black and white as this.  I'm all for looking for positives and trying to accentuate the things they did right, and if that accounted for 90% of the game, then that's great, but the bottom line is that like you said, they lost.  It's no different than a boxing match.  Right now we're the team that goes 14 rounds of a 15 round fight, back and forth trading punches, and more often than not we look like the more dominant fighter, with the judges scoring it in our favor up until this point, and then in the 15th round our opponent awakens, having stood there and taken every punch we had all night long, only to deliver a swift upper-cut to us as we hit the mat for the inevitable TKO.  

The fact that you looked better than your opponent for 14 rounds means sh!t. You busted his lip in round 2?  Great.  You gave him a black eye in round 7?  Awesome!  But you fvcking lost when it mattered most, and now someone else is holding your title belt.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Wow they almost won games when they're at home playing teams that either aren't playing well themselves or aren't exactly the cream of the crop.  Pretty much nobody else other than a horrible Ottawa team would have lost last night with the crappy effort the Lightning gave.  They won't even have leads to blow when they start going on the road and playing tougher teams.

Yep.  Not to mention the Lightning were on a back to back having just lost to the lowly Rags, and prior to that the fvcking Coyotes were also on a back to back.  I mean, as much as the schedule has sucked with long layoffs (you could argue that even though it's hard to maintain a rhythm, it could be a positive in the sense they're well rested/healthy/prepared), in general we've been pretty fortunate and the schedule has been favorable enough to the point where we should have won quite a few games at this point.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Whether fans on here want to accept it or not - the Devils played really well last night and the only reason they lost was goaltending and a bit of bad luck.

I’m really getting sick of the excuses. They lost. I don’t care.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Whether fans on here want to accept it or not - the Devils played really well last night and the only reason they lost was goaltending and a bit of bad luck. Though, this board is in a state right now where people are saying some pretty ridiculous things.

So losing because of goaltending and bad turnovers and defensive positioning means that you can’t do anything about any of that to improve going forward? When this happens repeatedly it doesn’t matter how many shots we generate. It’s maddening that it continues to be uncorrected.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m really getting sick of the excuses. They lost. I don’t care.

Yeah, but the point is more...maybe don't bash everything and everyone and level directed animosity towards every player, coach, and media personality (not directing this at you specifically). The main problem with the team right now is known. It's in net. In the end, Hynes might need to go but no matter who the coach is, he won't win with piss poor goaltending.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

If the Devils had just gotten below league average goaltending, they would have won last night. But they didn't. They got below below league average goaltending. Even PK, the guy who people love to bash, while he didn't have his best game, played well enough for the Devils to win with decent goaltending. The skaters absolutely dominated the Lightning last night. And yes, with improved goaltending, the Devils will win games if they continue to play like that. What Triumph is saying isn't all that radical - it's pretty close to just being factual.

Have you ever heard the saying 'you make your own luck'?  Or the 'law of averages'?  I think most of us here understand and acknowledge that the team seemed to play pretty well last night, and perhaps the last 2-3 games before that too, but in the end, it's resulted in losses.  At a certain point you cannot continue to say "well it was just bad puck luck", or "if we only scored that goal instead of hitting the post", or "if player X doesn't do this then everything is different".  When it continues to happen over and over and over...….and yes over again, it's something else. 

I'm not going to claim to have the answer, but the solution to this team's inability to win is beyond something intangible as bad luck.