Daniel

Fire Hynes

On 11/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, jagknife said:

I find Hynes has two big flaws:

1.) Blind freaking loyalty to a system. Be it loyalty to a guy who clearly cannot manage a defensive strategy in Nasraddine, to his own failure to adapt to the game at hand, Hynes is too loyal (maybe wrong word) and seems to not change his thinking well, if at all.

2.) His asset management is suspect. His lineup decisions sometimes pay way off, such as recently or during the heater early-mid season two years ago when we made the playoffs but others are terrible. It flows from my previous point but he doesn't handle matchups well at all and his "lets throw the lines in a blender" crap when things are going well is very frustrating to me.

This is one of those posts where I read it and I get very confused.  Hynes has changed things so many times here.

In 2015-16, he ran a very boring system, quite conservative.  The Devils were last in the league by far in shot attempts but were reasonably stingy.  In 2016-17, they get Taylor Hall and some other offensive players, and he opens things up a bit.  The Devils start out hot, then they go on that 10 game losing streak.  He changes things back to the 2015-16 system.  Next season, he opens things up again, things stay reasonably open.  Last season, when the Devils got all those injuries, the Devils went back to the 2015-16 style of play for the forwards.

They've tried different tactics in the defensive zone - they switched to the idea of the D taking the puck carrier, almost regardless of where that guy went - that is gone.  They tried that last season and it didn't work and it's not here anymore.

I'm also waiting for the coach who gets praised when his team loses.  'Well, they lost, but the coach made the right moves.'

9 hours ago, Triumph said:

This is one of those posts where I read it and I get very confused.  Hynes has changed things so many times here.

In 2015-16, he ran a very boring system, quite conservative.  The Devils were last in the league by far in shot attempts but were reasonably stingy.  In 2016-17, they get Taylor Hall and some other offensive players, and he opens things up a bit.  The Devils start out hot, then they go on that 10 game losing streak.  He changes things back to the 2015-16 system.  Next season, he opens things up again, things stay reasonably open.  Last season, when the Devils got all those injuries, the Devils went back to the 2015-16 style of play for the forwards.

They've tried different tactics in the defensive zone - they switched to the idea of the D taking the puck carrier, almost regardless of where that guy went - that is gone.  They tried that last season and it didn't work and it's not here anymore.

I'm also waiting for the coach who gets praised when his team loses.  'Well, they lost, but the coach made the right moves.'

In game a management and adjustments, not season to season. We’ll watch the same zone entry over and over again. Same passive defensive system where teams cycle the puck all over us as if it’s a power play, etc. It’ll happen the same way for 60 minutes with barely a “hey let’s try something different.” The adjustments Hynes makes is screwing with the lines, regardless of success or failures.

• Like 1

I feel the Devils will come in under .500 but not to the degree that is eye opening,  and Hynes' job will be safe yet again. And so will Nasreddine's by default. I feel like Ray really doesnt want to fire Hynes due to their Pens connection, and will only do so if his hand is forced by ownership. 

Edited by slasher72

3 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I feel like Ray really doesnt want to fire Hynes due to their Pens connection, and will only do so if his hand is forced by ownership. 

Which would mean he learned absolutely nothing from his time in Pittsburgh, because his downfall there was that he waited waaaay too long to fire Bylsma. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Which would mean he learned absolutely nothing from his time in Pittsburgh, because his downfall there was that he waited waaaay too long to fire Bylsma. 

They won two Cups in short order after that firing, so its pretty clear you’re right. 

If firing Hynes in 2019 meant we win the Cup in 2021 and 2022, I’d be ok with that. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

I feel the Devils will come in under .500 but not to the degree that is eye opening,  and Hynes' job will be safe yet again. And so will Nasreddine's by default. I feel like Ray really doesnt want to fire Hynes due to their Pens connection, and will only do so if his hand is forced by ownership. 

I don't think Ray will fire Hynes, he'll go himself.(resigning or getting fired) If Hynes is part of long term strategy, he can't change that. 

Get him outta here already 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Get him outta here already 

Hynes has more job security than Warren Buffett so long as Shero is the GM.  He’s not going anywhere.

Watch Ray make Nesseredine the head coach.  Gotta be a Pittsburgh guy.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

HOW IS THIS GUY STILL THE COACH!?!?!?!?!

Our GM just can’t quit his buddies.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

HOW IS THIS GUY STILL THE COACH!?!?!?!?!

Surprisingly, I agree with you and you make a salient point

tenor.gif?itemid=3547413

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Hynes has more job security than Warren Buffett so long as Shero is the GM.  He’s not going anywhere.

Yeah but does he have more job security than Adam Gase? :P

I'm thoroughly convinced both these guys are going to be haunting me until the end of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Unfortunately you're 100% right. Hynes isn't going anywhere because Shero won't fire "one of his guys" unless he's absolutely forced to do so. Which Harris & Blitzer likely won't do judging by their actions as owners of the 76ers... 

My friends, this could get ugly. 

22 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Unfortunately you're 100% right. Hynes isn't going anywhere because Shero won't fire "one of his guys" unless he's absolutely forced to do so. Which Harris & Blitzer likely won't do judging by their actions as owners of the 76ers... 

My friends, this could get ugly. 

“Get?” I’d say it already is. After all the excitement over the summer did anyone honestly expect a last place team? I sure as hell didn’t. 

Between our “star player” calling out the fans, atrocious goaltending, blown lead after blown lead, this is turning into a disaster of a season. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

“Get?” I’d say it already is. After all the excitement over the summer did anyone honestly expect a last place team? I sure as hell didn’t. 

Between our “star player” calling out the fans, atrocious goaltending, blown lead after blown lead, this is turning into a disaster of a season. 

I guess I was referring to my ominous prediction of the Devils slipping into becoming a perennial loser, the coaching staff remaining due to the relationship between the GM and head coach, the players (and fans) losing interest,  and ownership being indifferent. I hope I'm wrong about ownership...them stepping in could be the only thing that saves this franchise. 

Edited by slasher72

Somethings got to give. Putting Fitz behind the bench hasn't helped.  If Hynes is let go, I'm guess it's Kowalski or Fitz that takes over.. I'm in agreement that Shero will go 1st because of his allegiance to Hynes, (like he did with Bylsma) and having a "plan" that didn't come to fruition. Folks won't bother to go to games, so pressure is on. 

This brings up replacement guy as a "defense 1st coach" (Trotz (killing it)/Tippett  (killing it) Might be getting ahead of myself but I believe Marty will succeed Shero, or(Maybe Fitzy.)

Hard to get over the fact that only a month & a half ago we were thinking this was easily a playoff team & Hall would sign. Unraveling it is says Yota