Daniel

Fire Hynes

18 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think half is still a huge over estimate, I just don't buy that many people aren't watching the game. There's no way you can even determine just by looking at me that I'm a STH holder because I don't wear a stupid lanyard, none of the STH around me that I know wear them either. 

There's always going to be people that are there just to socialize but I just don't think it's half the amount of STH the team has. 

That’s fair. I didn’t mean “half” literally like I walked around checking or asking to see people’s lanyards. 

30 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

To be fair there are some STH’s who do other things at the game mainly because the team usually sucked over the last five years.

That’s not fair to say, if you are that fair weather of a fan you shouldn’t buy season tickets anyway. Unless you are just going to socialize. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If you're referring to my post, I didn't call this a failure...like I said, I'm still on-board with Shero.  But I do think he's at a bit of a crossroads right now.  PK looks like a disaster so far, and that was clearly supposed to be a big-time "Now we're moving forward" splash kind of move.  And he's had some other deals not pay off as well...I feel for Shero in that I think moves like MoJo and Mueller were very reasonable ones to make at the time. 

The jury is out on his collection of young talent too...no one is wowing at Bingo right now...if you want to give them all incompletes, I would agree, it's too early to say that none of them will pan out, but it's hard to be thrilled with the returns to date.  Really hope Ty Smith is ready for next season. 

I'm still on Team Shero, and I think he's definitely been a little unlucky with some of his personnel moves as of late (but VERY lucky with getting to draft first overall twice)...but I think there's some reason for concern. 

i was not referring to anyone's post specifically. Right now everyone is just frustrated and sh!tting / blaming anything they possibly can. We even have fans blasting the team after we win lol

Also well i'd invite anyone not happy right now to take the 2015 roster and prospects... and imagine a scenario where we'd have a MUCH better roster and how they would have done it and obviously leaving hindsight 20/20 out of it and obviously not making up trades like... McDavid for Greene. We had nothing to build on, nothing. What we have now is really damn near the best we could possibly get based on our timeframe. It takes a few years for prospects to usually hit the NHL if they ever do... 2-3 years or more... we're only like 4 sets of draft prospects in at the moment. in 2015, our top prospects after DECADES of drafting was Reid and he's STILL not a regular in the NHL. 

As for Shero, i liked him because of the way he handled things but he didn't stick to that with Hall so that's a strike in my book personally. Also obviously, i've been saying for years how overrated Subban was, not gonna get in another Subban debate but hard not to say i told you so at the moment. 

I also really fvcking hope Ty Smith can get his sh!t together and be something, we really need that. Also good to see Zacha (who's the last of Conte's sh!t legacy) actually looking like a capable NHLer

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL fair weather fans don’t buy STH’s in the first place.

That’s definitely not true.

I used to be on board with keeping Hynes until Shero finds a long term solution, but I no longer think that has to be the answer here. When watching these games, I get the sense that this group is being overcoached, and I really think it is what's crushing the development of the younger players. This season, hopes were high because the team added so many new pieces that were pretty solid bets to contribute. Subban, Gusev, Boqvist, and Hughes have all fallen short of those expectations to some degree. That's not to mention Bratt and Hischier, who looked like they were each due for big seasons. And I'm not hating on any of these players - I think they all can and will be useful players for this franchise. But it won't be with this coaching staff. 

• Like 4

Look at the Islanders with Trotz. I dont really feel like on paper their roster is that much better than ours and look at the difference in results. No one is saying we should have the second most points in the nhl like them, but come on. We should not be almost last place in the standings, and at the bottom of every statistical category out there. 

Coaching matters. The Devils playing like this when the roster had no talent was one thing, we should demand/expect better.

Hynes has now sunk the bar for comparison so low I would take almost anyone. 

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, nessus said:

I used to be on board with keeping Hynes until Shero finds a long term solution, but I no longer think that has to be the answer here. When watching these games, I get the sense that this group is being overcoached, and I really think it is what's crushing the development of the younger players. This season, hopes were high because the team added so many new pieces that were pretty solid bets to contribute. Subban, Gusev, Boqvist, and Hughes have all fallen short of those expectations to some degree. That's not to mention Bratt and Hischier, who looked like they were each due for big seasons. And I'm not hating on any of these players - I think they all can and will be useful players for this franchise. But it won't be with this coaching staff. 

10 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

Look at the Islanders with Trotz. I dont really feel like on paper their roster is that much better than ours and look at the difference in results. No one is saying we should have the second most points in the nhl like them, but come on. We should not be almost last place in the standings, and at the bottom of every statistical category out there. 

Coaching matters. The Devils playing like this when the roster had no talent was one thing, we should demand/expect better.

A classic micromanager, he does not seem to really know his players nor does he trust them.  A real control freak....

10 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

The analytics people in the organization who almost certainly played a big role in constructing this roster to begin with will tell you that the Isles are only good because of luck and goaltending and Trotz is overrated.  In other words, they tell Shero what he wants to hear.

• Like 1

I'm on board to fire Hynes to shake things up but i still can't fault Shero that much.

It's literally the first year Hynes has a decent roster to work with.

I'd say in the long run not firing Conte when he's been incredibly bad at his job for over a decade is still impacting this franchise negatively way way more. It's hard to rebuild from scratch and having no assets at all

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm on board to fire Hynes to shake things up but i still can't fault Shero that much.

I'd say in the long run not firing Conte when he's been incredibly bad at his job for over a decade is still impacting this franchise negatively way way more. It's hard to rebuild from scratch and having no assets at all

Outside of Nico, Jack and Bratt, what good drafting have Ray and Castro’s done? 

None of there picks really look to be much of anything. 

4 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Outside of Nico, Jack and Bratt, what good drafting have Ray and Castro’s done? 

None of there picks really look to be much of anything. 

Blackwood's at least playing with the big club...when you can say that about a goalie that's a Devils draftee, that's cause for celebration these days.

Obviously the jury's out on him, but I'm hoping he at least can become a solid #1.

It's still a little early to kill Ray's drafts, but yeah, we gotta start seeing something fairly soon out of some of these other picks.  Early returns at Bingo are looking iffy.  And though I can't really quibble too much with his trades, he really needs one to work out soon.  Palms, Hall (and Vatanen) are old news now...MoJo, Mueller, and PK are fresh in my mind, and I don't want to beat the dead horse too much on this, but PK looks more disastrous by the game.  11 games without a point from him...and he couldn't look more clunky and clumsy. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Blackwood's at least playing with the big club...when you can say that about a goalie that's a Devils draftee, that's cause for celebration these days.

Obviously the jury's out on him, but I'm hoping he at least can become a solid #1.

It's still a little early to kill Ray's drafts, but yeah, we gotta start seeing something fairly soon out of some of these other picks.  Early returns at Bingo are looking iffy.  And though I can't really quibble too much with his trades, he really needs one to work out soon.  Palms, Hall (and Vatanen) are old news now...MoJo, Mueller, and PK are fresh in my mind, and I don't want to beat the dead horse too much on this, but PK looks more disastrous by the game.  11 games without a point from him...and he couldn't look more clunky and clumsy. 

I am also not writing off Boqvist and Smith yet.

But yeah I am with you and others on this.  I am puzzled at how much adoration Shero and Castron get for drafting when it looks pedestrian outside of those #1OA picks.  I guess pedestrian is an improvement over disaster under Conte.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Blackwood was a Lou/Conte pick so Ray doesn't get credit on him even though he just got the team. That whole draft wasn't on Ray.

Yes - too early to write off Boqvist and Smith - I will give you that.

But the Studenic, Zetterlund, McLeod, Bastian, Anderson, Gignac, Walsh et. al. Nobody looks like someone who is going to do much at the NHL level.

Day after another loss to a bad team even where we got a goal that the league admitted should have been disallowed.  In the press conference, John Hynes once again blames everyone else but himself.  As of Thanksgiving, the Devils are right where they ended last season.  He's still the coach the next day. 

Oh, I have the reason, in case you can't divine it from your spreadsheet.  Ray Shero is tanking another season.  And it's like he melded together Mike Yeo, Ray Handley and Rich Kotite to form the perfect terrible coach to do it. 

When Ray sets his mind to being awful, he can at least accomplish that.  Not like he's accomplished anything else in his 30 years being in hockey.

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Everyone here thought we added quality parts in the off season  we needed to improve. Everyone! Jack Hughes (is struggling to say the least against men-He will be great though) Everyone thought Boquist was next Forsberg (not even close) Gusev was the final piece of the puzzle (getting better but a ways away) PK has been not so good so far (and not talking about offensive input) Hayden (he is what he is) Also I feel the reason Hynes plays Hayden/Rooney is for physicality. That's why Bratt/ Zacha are sitting I guess. 

So has this team underperformed? Or,  is the team (as constructed)  not nearly good enough? or overated? The new guys (#86, #97, #90, #15, PK haven't been here long enough to "tune Hynes out" I'm just skeptical of Hynes replacement. ( likely Kowalski) 

He’s playing to his” identity “

if I hear that one more time from the coaches, managers etc I’ll just 🥶🤮

I expected to be a bubble team. I never expected this team to be basically unwatchable and to be out of the playoff hunt before October ended. 

I don't think Shero is trying to tank though. You don't send Cory to Binghamton if you're trying to tank lol

I have to disagree about Shero's (Castron's) drafting. In 2016, the most impressive player picked after DeBrincat (picked in the early second) is Jesper Bratt. Sure, maybe they should have taken Chychrun over McLeod with the first round pick, but that draft class as a whole is not looking so strong. Anderson, Rykov, and Davies were all good picks.

While Studenic and Zetterlund are not looking so promising right now, Castron got Hischier and Boqvist out of the 2017 draft. Talvitie looks like he has a future in the NHL, and Walsh could be next year's Adam Fox. I could go through the next two drafts too, but I think we all know that it's too early to tell with those. 

They aren't hitting home runs on every pick, but it's impossible to. Drafting is one thing that I think has gone well since Castron has been in charge.

I was on the fire Hynes train two weeks ago, but now I have become indifferent. Can't remember ever being this indifferent about the Devils by Thanksgiving. I'd rather see Hall traded than Hynes fired. A Hall trade would/will at least have the momentary excitement of the return that might bring some hope for the future. Feel like firing Hynes would/will be more of a bloodletting than something that brings hope any to the franchise. 

27 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Everyone here thought we added quality parts in the off season  we needed to improve. Everyone! Jack Hughes (is struggling to say the least against men-He will be great though) Everyone thought Boquist was next Forsberg (not even close) Gusev was the final piece of the puzzle (getting better but a ways away) PK has been not so good so far (and not talking about offensive input) Hayden (he is what he is) Also I feel the reason Hynes plays Hayden/Rooney is for physicality. That's why Bratt/ Zacha are sitting I guess. 

So has this team underperformed? Or,  is the team (as constructed)  not nearly good enough? or overated? The new guys (#86, #97, #90, #15, PK haven't been here long enough to "tune Hynes out" I'm just skeptical of Hynes replacement. ( likely Kowalski) 

No he’s not. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nessus said:

I have to disagree about Shero's (Castron's) drafting. In 2016, the most impressive player picked after DeBrincat (picked in the early second) is Jesper Bratt. Sure, maybe they should have taken Chychrun over McLeod with the first round pick, but that draft class as a whole is not looking so strong. Anderson, Rykov, and Davies were all good picks.

While Studenic and Zetterlund are not looking so promising right now, Castron got Hischier and Boqvist out of the 2017 draft. Talvitie looks like he has a future in the NHL, and Walsh could be next year's Adam Fox. I could go through the next two drafts too, but I think we all know that it's too early to tell with those. 

They aren't hitting home runs on every pick, but it's impossible to. Drafting is one thing that I think has gone well since Castron has been in charge.

i don't want homeruns - i want actual NHL players. I will give some credit for picking nico over nolan but it's still a 1OA so not too hard. boqvist might be something but we've got a way to go to see that.

i agree that at the time, these picks made sense and they weren't the dreaded connor chatham type idiotic moves. but i'm not seeing anyone get better in bingo and for all we like about bratt, hynes still finds reason to scratch him.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i don't want homeruns - i want actual NHL players. I will give some credit for picking nico over nolan but it's still a 1OA so not too hard. boqvist might be something but we've got a way to go to see that.

i agree that at the time, these picks made sense and they weren't the dreaded connor chatham type idiotic moves. but i'm not seeing anyone get better in bingo and for all we like about bratt, hynes still finds reason to scratch him.

It does seem like we are getting a lot of guys who do well the year or two after they are drafted, but can't get over the hump and make it as NHL regulars or even as positive AHL players (Speers, Gignac, Anderson, Studenic, Zetterlund, Maltzev maybe adding soon: walsh and Ty Smith who are not in the AHl, but are having down starts to the year). I would have liked to see Anderson called up instead of Seney as I think he has the best chance at carving out an NHL career out of the people down in the Bing.  Binghamton has been absolutely terrible again to start this year which is really disappointing given it is now full of a lot of of Shero draft picks. I doubt it is enough of a sample to point to how the organization develops as an issue, but it is something to keep an eye on (Players seem to succeed before, but then fail in the AHL/NHL).

To bring it back to this thread: Hynes certainly does not seem like someone who gets the best out of young players.

The one thing I will say is that all signs point to the fact that Hynes does seem to be a genuinely good person on and off the ice and given what is going on across the hockey coaching landscape, he does deserve some credit for that.

22 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

The one thing I will say is that all signs point to the fact that Hynes does seem to be a genuinely good person on and off the ice and given what is going on across the hockey coaching landscape, he does deserve some credit for that.

That’s exactly what a reptilian would want you to think...

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s exactly what a reptilian would want you to think...

Found another pic after him after that first Wild goal, from a different angle:

Image result for turtle coming out of shell gif

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976