GDT: Devils at the Fruity Drink Accessories, 5 Oct @ 7pm Eastern

jagknife

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

There's no need to burn down the house. Some of us got overzealous with our expectations for this team. We penciled Hughes and Gusev in as instant elite players and when you look at the lineup like that we have a great team. But when you recognize how green this team is, you can see that it's going to take awhile to get this thing right.

Hughes is a really talented player and he will be a great player - he has too much skill and brains to not be. But what's clear is that he has to learn to adapt his game for the NHL. He can't just outskill everyone anymore. He's got to go against his instincts and make mature decisions with the puck. He's going to learn how to do that over this first season but he has to be as protected as possible while he does. We can't be throwing games away while he improves. Similar is true for Gusev - who is maybe a little better defensively but is much older.

There's some serious positives to take away from the first two games as well - once you adjust your expectations for the first part of the season that is. PK Subban looks great out there, I think he is going to have a throwback season. Hischier looks like he has taken a big step forward - he hasn't produced much yet - but he is a seriously responsible player out there, is confident and makes good decisions. And finally, Jesper Boqvist looked great for it being his first game. He was strong enough to manage the physicality of the game and was smart with the puck.

Not sure I saw any positives other than some good names on the paper, but you are right about the disappointment and anger due to unmet expectations. Too soon...

50 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Not bullsh!t. Gusev is a terrible liability out there. Wood at least gets to the net, wins some battles, and puts himself in position to score. He doesn't score because he's a mess but that I think he should play is a reflection on the other players.

How is he a liability? Did he turn the puck over?Also wood is good at chaos, thats about it. liability would be Severson, Mueller, Greene for starters.

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

There's no need to burn down the house. Some of us got overzealous with our expectations for this team.

This is it for me.  The last two nights have been a dose of reality.  Still a long way to go but I'm going to choose to think we are on the right path. Hopefully.

Clearly I should be VERY happy that I missed this one...

Not panicking yet.  It’s just too early for that...I gotta give these new talented faces time to get used to each other...even with some rather unsettling early-season ugliness.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I was pissed at the 4 days off schedule, but not now, we need to regroup. Go out and Win 4 of the next 6.. OK I'll take three of six..  otherwise the heat on Hynes goes thru the roof.. along with my blood pressure

This. He has zero excuse to not get this team on the right track. The talent is there, finally, and he needs to get them to produce.

I just love how there's people here sh!tting on Gusev or a young guy playing his their first NHL games ever... them not doing enough or wtv.

But not a single soul here said anything about Subban, a veteran who should know better who lost the puck at the blueline trying to do one of his flashy spin once again which lead director to a breakaway goal. Which is something he did for years and still havent learn.

He played well other than that but i mean. Let's try to be fair at least lol the kids and gusev WILL adjust

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I just love how there's people here sh!tting on Gusev or a young guy playing his their first NHL games ever... them not doing enough or wtv.

But not a single soul here said anything about Subban, a veteran who should know better who lost the puck at the blueline trying to do one of his flashy spin once again which lead director to a breakaway goal. Which is something he did for years and still havent learn.

He played well other than that but i mean. Let's try to be fair at least lol the kids and gusev WILL adjust

Well, to be fair, one was an accident and he lost the puck. The other looked like an effort thing since Skinner basically skated in with no one even trying to cover him or take the pass away. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Well, to be fair, one was an accident and he lost the puck. The other looked like an effort thing since Skinner basically skated in with no one even trying to cover him or take the pass away. 

Coverage was definitely dropped on that play.

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Who are you going after when you say, "I love how people are sh!tting on Gusev and Hughes"?

I've been calling for them to be more protected, and definitely for them to be separated but that's hardly a bold suggestion. Both players have been terrible out there. Like you say, it's their first few games so such is nothing to be alarmed about but that doesn't negate the fact that changes need to be made if the Devils don't want to continue to lose 7-2. Hughes needs to play with someone who can win battles, play decent defense, and finish his passes. More and more, Kyle Palmieri and Blake Coleman are starting to look like good options. 

As far as PK Subban goes, I'm not going to make much of his mistake last night, that happens. Overall he's been driving play and creating shots. 

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Who are you going after when you say, "I love how people are sh!tting on Gusev and Hughes"?

I've been calling for them to be more protected, and definitely for them to be separated but that's hardly a bold suggestion. Both players have been terrible out there. Like you say, it's their first few games so such is nothing to be alarmed about but that doesn't negate the fact that changes need to be made if the Devils don't want to continue to lose 7-2. Hughes needs to play with someone who can win battles, play decem defense, and finish his passes. More and more, Kyle Palmieri and Blake Coleman are starting to look like a good options. 

As far as PK Subban goes, in not going to make much of his mistake last night, that happens. Overall he's been driving play and creating shots. 

re: PK - that is absolutely correct. Plays like last night are the bad with all the good you get from him. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

*ahem*

18 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Wood is straight comedy. JFC I liked the guy when he first came up, but wtf was I thinking??

great, even PK sucks now. 

18 hours ago, Nicomo said:

“Great” is probably a bit generous for PK’s play tonight...

• Like 1