jagknife

GDT: Devils at the Fruity Drink Accessories, 5 Oct @ 7pm Eastern

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bull. sh!t.

He's a play killer.

Not bullsh!t. Gusev is a terrible liability out there. Wood at least gets to the net, wins some battles, and puts himself in position to score. He doesn't score because he's a mess but that I think he should play is a reflection on the other players.

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Brutal. 

Terrified of our tandem right now. Blackwood looks shook and awful.

If Cory can't handle 60+ games we're doomed 

If this continues, and Hall doesn’t re-sign I almost wonder if he’s moved for a goalie? Most backups are probably a step up at this point. More durable than Cory, and more consistent than Blackwood. 

Hughes cannot be the centerpiece of a line right now either. Sorry. There's going to be a big learning curve for him, and it's going to take baby steps to get him there.

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Hughes cannot be the centerpiece of a line right now either. Sorry. There's going to be a big learning curve for him, and it's going to take baby steps to get him there.

Especially with the team that has zero leadership and is so out of synch.

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Give him 10 games before you declare his career as a center over, please..

• Like 1

Ah well. Toronto just choked a 4-1 lead in the 3rd... Guess their season is screwed ;) 

• Like 1

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Give him 10 games before you declare his career as a center over, please..

I expected this silliness, as if this isn't the exact opposite of what I said and have been saying.

Gusev will get adjusted. It's his second game in the NHL and he has already scored. I'm not worried about the new guys and I certainly didn't expect everyone to click after 2 games. 

• Like 2

Well, at least Hall is skating and Cory isn't injured. 80 games left...and hopefully maybe even more than that. 

I’m not going to get on any of the forwards other than Wood right now. Outside Nico and Zajac they weren’t good tonight, but when your defense is basically non-existent, and your goalie can’t stop a beach ball...I’m not starting with them when assigning blame. 

6 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

everyone just step back and take a deep breath

100%

There's no need to burn down the house. Some of us got overzealous with our expectations for this team. We penciled Hughes and Gusev in as instant elite players and when you look at the lineup like that we have a great team. But when you recognize how green this team is, you can see that it's going to take awhile to get this thing right.

Hughes is a really talented player and he will be a great player - he has too much skill and brains to not be. But what's clear is that he has to learn to adapt his game for the NHL. He can't just outskill everyone anymore. He's got to go against his instincts and make mature decisions with the puck. He's going to learn how to do that over this first season but he has to be as protected as possible while he does. We can't be throwing games away while he improves. Similar is true for Gusev - who is maybe a little better defensively but is much older.

There's some serious positives to take away from the first two games as well - once you adjust your expectations for the first part of the season that is. PK Subban looks great out there, good to see he isn't what his critics from last year say he is and has a chance to have a big season. Hischier looks like he has taken a big step forward - he hasn't produced much yet - but he is a seriously responsible player out there, is confident and makes good decisions. And finally, Jesper Boqvist looked great for it being his first game. He was strong enough to manage the physicality of the game and was smart with the puck.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

“Great” is probably a bit generous for PK’s play tonight...

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

“Great” is probably a bit generous for PK’s play tonight...

They sucked as a team and sabres skated around them like they didn't exist. One of those games...but I'm sure they'll get a W in Philly.

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

There's no need to burn down the house. Some of us got overzealous with our expectations for this team. We penciled Hughes and Gusev in as instant elite players and when you look at the lineup like that we have a great team. But when you recognize how green this team is, you can see that it's going to take awhile to get this thing right.

Hughes is a really talented player and he will be a great player - he has too much skill and brains to not be. But what's clear is that he has to learn to adapt his game for the NHL. He can't just outskill everyone anymore. He's got to go against his instincts and make mature decisions with the puck. He's going to learn how to do that over this first season but he has to be as protected as possible while he does. We can't be throwing games away while he improves. Similar is true for Gusev - who is maybe a little better defensively but is much older.

There's some serious positives to take away from the first two games as well - once you adjust your expectations for the first part of the season that is. PK Subban looks great out there, I think he is going to have a throwback season. Hischier looks like he has taken a big step forward - he hasn't produced much yet - but he is a seriously responsible player out there, is confident and makes good decisions. And finally, Jesper Boqvist looked great for it being his first game. He was strong enough to manage the physicality of the game and was smart with the puck.

Not sure I saw any positives other than some good names on the paper, but you are right about the disappointment and anger due to unmet expectations. Too soon...

They need time to click. It will take minimum 10 games. It was to be expected. I’m not worried.

50 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Not bullsh!t. Gusev is a terrible liability out there. Wood at least gets to the net, wins some battles, and puts himself in position to score. He doesn't score because he's a mess but that I think he should play is a reflection on the other players.

How is he a liability? Did he turn the puck over?Also wood is good at chaos, thats about it. liability would be Severson, Mueller, Greene for starters.

Just now, Mike Brown said:

Nothing to recap tonight.  There was nothing about this game to evaluate.

I feel cheated. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Nothing to recap tonight.  There was nothing about this game to evaluate.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I feel cheated. 

Seriously, you could’ve at least bullet pointed it. 

• Like 1