GDT: Oilers @ Devils 7:00PM

cgb6397

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Some of you are so dramatic and ridiculous. This game was a much better effort and if not for the previous 3, I would not be devastated by tonight’s game. 

Better effort?  This was the freaking Oilers here, 3-0 start or no 3-0 start...this wasn't the Lightning we were playing when it might be some moral victory actually keeping the game close even at home.  And they BLEW YET ANOTHER LATE LEAD!  If they can't win games against the teams like the Sabres, Oilers, Flyers and Jets without some of their top players just wait till Saturday or when they play other good teams.  I'm already dreading next Thursday and am only glad I can't make the game anyway to watch the inevitable Kakko hat trick as they run us off the ice.  

I don't want to hear about the stupid whistle either, that's a loser's lament.  The whistle shouldn't have even blown anyway.    

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

How has Subban not looked good? Other than Severson scoring a nice goal he looks like the only defenseman on the team that even belongs in the NHL right now. 

That's a bit of a curve you're grading on.  Subban's had exactly zero impact so far, at least relative to what was expected of him.  Sure he's better than the rest of the trash on defense but we didn't get him just to be okay with the ratio of risky pinches and hit attempts outnumbering the impact plays.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's a bit of a curve you're grading on.  Subban's had exactly zero impact so far, at least relative to what was expected of him.  Sure he's better than the rest of the trash on defense but we didn't get him just to be okay with the ratio of risky pinches and hit attempts outnumbering the impact plays.

Can I ask what you mean when you say the bolded? Because the first part seems like it was walked back by the second.

16 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Can I ask what you mean when you say the bolded? Because the first part seems like it was walked back by the second.

Meaning he was expected to be an elite player and he's merely been okay.  You don't trade all what you did for him and pay the guy $9 million just to be okay.  Being okay is not having a real impact.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Type of Review: Culmination of a Continuous Play

Result: Original call is upheld - Goal Edmonton

Explanation:

It was confirmed that Connor McDavid's shot completely crossed the New Jersey goal line as the culmination of a continuous play where the result was unaffected by the whistle. The decision was made in accordance with Rule 37.3 which outlines goal situations subject to video review, such as a "Puck entering the net as the culmination of a continuous play where the result of the play was unaffected by any whistle blown by the Referee upon his losing sight of the puck."

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Meaning he was expected to be an elite player and he's merely been okay.  You don't trade all what you did for him and pay the guy $9 million just to be okay.  Being okay is not having a real impact.

We traded peanuts for him and there's a reason for that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Meaning he was expected to be an elite player and he's merely been okay.  You don't trade all what you did for him and pay the guy $9 million just to be okay.

A little hard to conclude after four games he's not turning out to be an elite player for us - and if you are going to claim that I'd have to ask what about his play leads you to that conclusion? That he hasn't scored a goal yet? That he has made some sloppy plays? What is it? Anyway, I think at this point we can agree that Subban has not had "zero impact." A lot of what we do on this board is opinion, but that's pretty close to factually untrue.

If we're having a reasonable debate about Subban. As far as expectations go, Subban signed his current deal when he was a perennial Norris candidate. We didn't bring him in expecting him to be the best defensman in the league, we took his big salary because that was the only way we were going to win ourselves a 1D - which I would say Subban has filled the role of decently so far.

I'm not saying he's been stellar but he's played in all situations and is generating plenty offensively - he certainly creates more than any of our other d-men, and he's made some really good defensive plays as well. He could still produce more and less could be produced vs. him, and hopefully that will happen as the season progresses and the team around him isn't complete sh!t, turning the puck over frequently, and stuck in their own zone. I see no signs that lead me to conclude now that Subban can't be a top defenseman either. I mean, if we look at Victor Hedman's performance so far this season, by your standard we could probably say he isn't elite either.

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We traded peanuts for him and there's a reason for that

Yeah, Nashville needed cap relief, and we took on the entire contract. Don’t act like Subban wouldn’t be highly sought after if he was a UFA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

BRUDDA IT’S 4 GAMES. Take a chill pill or go drink a beer lol

• Like 1

LOL okay so Subban's been great with so much impact even though the team doesn't have a win in four games and most of his risk taking hasn't yet paid off.

And if you think that's criticism you don't want to know what I think of most of the rest of this team of losers right now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL okay so Subban's been great with so much impact even though the team doesn't have a win in four games and most of his risk taking hasn't yet paid off.

And if you think that's criticism you don't want to know what I think of most of the rest of this team of losers right now.

You started off with, "Subban has had zero impact." I refuted it, you kinda walked it back. I didn't say, "Subban's been great with so much impact." I was perfectly measured in my assessment of Subban so far - I'm no expert, but I think what I said is substantiated with both observation and analytics. But if your argument is, "The team hasn't won yet in 4 games and his risk taking hasn't yet paid off..." okay, fine...therefore...??? Terrible trade? He's done? Locker room cancer?

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Especially not tonight, where we got robbed by a bad penalty call and lost in a shootout to a 3-0 team with two absolute snipers. 

The refs were atrocious tonight. Missed so many key calls, a blatant one against Hall late that would’ve sealed the game.

11 hours ago, Triumph said:

They deserved the 2 points.  Refs took one away and they couldn't pull it back in the 3 on 3.  Outplayed them by a large amount in the 3rd period and just couldn't put it away.  But they looked like a hockey team here which was a big change from Wednesday.

This is the take that I agree with the most.  The Devils were far from perfect, but the one thought I left with was "They looked and played like an actual hockey team tonight, and at times looked pretty good in doing it."  Obviously the result kinda sucked and I was pissed as I left the building, but at least there's some reason to hope that this is moving in the right direction...starting with Hughes' play. 

But from here on out it's going to take a lot for me to be sold on Hynes being the right guy to coach this team into contention.  I'm not quite as hysterical about it as Daniel, but most definitely concerned.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I would agree with this. Nico and Zajac are responsible defensively all the time. Zacha is more of a PK guy. I don’t see any Selke noms in his future. 

I disagree and have to have MB's back on this one - Zacha was out there on the 3 on 3 in OT and you could see that he was positionally in the right place at the right time.  To be out there during that time you have to be responsible defensively as it's basically an odd man rush every second with so much space available.  I thought it was a really big placement of trust by Hynes by putting him out there, given that Zacha's not the fastest guy in the world and who else we could've put out there instead of him.

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I disagree and have to have MB's back on this one - Zacha was out there on the 3 on 3 in OT and you could see that he was positionally in the right place at the right time.  To be out there during that time you have to be responsible defensively as it's basically an odd man rush every second with so much space available.  I thought it was a really big placement of trust by Hynes by putting him out there, given that Zacha's not the fastest guy in the world and who else we could've put out there instead of him.

So was Hughes. Is he good defensively?

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is the take that I agree with the most.  The Devils were far from perfect, but the one thought I left with was "They looked and played like an actual hockey team tonight, and at times looked pretty good in doing it."  Obviously the result kinda sucked and I was pissed as I left the building, but at least there's some reason to hope that this is moving in the right direction...starting with Hughes' play. 

But from here on out it's going to take a lot for me to be sold on Hynes being the right guy to coach this team into contention.  I'm not quite as hysterical about it as Daniel, but most definitely concerned.

I can't believe so many people agree with this take.  How did the refs steal a point from us?  Coleman's penalty late was a trip... he laid out and reach with his stick, and clearly tripped the guy, making no contact with the puck.  Then, on the goal itself that came on the PP, sure we all heard the whistle and it seemed to be a bit before the puck was in, but it was REALLY close, and beyond that, the rule was pretty clearly explained that if the puck is/was going in unimpeded and a whistle is blown accidently or prematurely, then the goal counts - which it did.

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So was Hughes. Is he good defensively?

I'm not really sure.  To be honest I haven't seen him in situations where he's been relied on for his defensive skills.  But to your question, Hughes is very clearly out in a 3 on 3 OT situation for his offensive skills.  Zacha, as we all know and love to make fun of, seems to have no offensive finish whatsoever, so if you're putting him out there in a 3 on 3 situation, you're doing it based on what merits?  That's right, his defensive skills.  

Also, I would just like to point out that losing makes us all fight and seem to hate each other.  When we win, we never argue and say "Hughes is the best sniper on the team", while someone else counters back angrily or begrudgingly with "No, Palmieri is the best sniper!". It's amazing how this thread and several others about the team right now is basically a battlefield and people throwing slings and arrows, constantly disagreeing about virtually everything.

There's so much more harmony when we're good, and maybe that's natural, but this bickering is unnatural.  I guess we all need scapegoats and an outlet to vent, but I just want to say I love you all even though our team sucks right now.  

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, I would just like to point out that losing makes us all fight and seem to hate each other.  When we win, we never argue and say "Hughes is the best sniper on the team", while someone else counters back angrily or begrudgingly with "No, Palmieri is the best sniper!". It's amazing how this thread and several others about the team right now is basically a battlefield and people throwing slings and arrows, constantly disagreeing about virtually everything.

There's so much more harmony when we're good, and maybe that's natural, but this bickering is unnatural.  I guess we all need scapegoats and an outlet to vent, but I just want to say I love you all even though our team sucks right now.  

I think as far as me and you debating goes as of late, I think we've been pretty respectful of each other.  I never considered it bickering. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think as far as me and you debating goes as of late, I think we've been pretty respectful of each other.  I never considered it bickering. 

True.  I've always considered you respectful, along most everyone else here, and I appreciate that, and I try to conduct myself the same way.  For what it's worth, I think you can bicker while still being respectful.  To me, bickering is a mix of arguing and complaining, often times just for the sake of it, which is kind of what I feel like is going on here over the last week as we've sucked.  

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not really sure.  To be honest I haven't seen him in situations where he's been relied on for his defensive skills.  But to your question, Hughes is very clearly out in a 3 on 3 OT situation for his offensive skills.  Zacha, as we all know and love to make fun of, seems to have no offensive finish whatsoever, so if you're putting him out there in a 3 on 3 situation, you're doing it based on what merits?  That's right, his defensive skills.  

You’re not worried about defense in OT. Especially when you suck at the SO. Zacha was put out there to score. He did have double digit goals last season, he’s a goal scorer now. :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True.  I've always considered you respectful, along most everyone else here, and I appreciate that, and I try to conduct myself the same way.  For what it's worth, I think you can bicker while still being respectful.  To me, bickering is a mix of arguing and complaining, often times just for the sake of it, which is kind of what I feel like is going on here over the last week as we've sucked.  

A couple of wins will go a LONG way.  What sucked last night was feeling good about being up 3-2, but just having that feeling that SOMETHING was going to go wrong.  I pretty much knew there was no way the Devils were escaping that 6-on-4.  And I fully expected them to lose in the shootout.  I hate going into full Major League 2 Randy Quaid mode, but that's how this team has me feeling at the moment.  I just want to see them win a damned game or two already. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

. It's amazing how this thread and several others about the team right now is basically a battlefield and people throwing slings and arrows, constantly disagreeing about virtually everything.

You don't know what the fvck you're talking about.

;)

Just now, Nicomo said:

You’re not worried about defense in OT. Especially when you suck at the SO. Zacha was put out there to score. He did have double digit goals last season, he’s a goal scorer now. :P

Plus I already declared it the Year of the Zacha, did you all forget already?? Jeez, guy gets scratched one game and all of a sudden his career year is forgotten. 

• Like 1