Jump to content
cgb6397

GDT: Oilers @ Devils 7:00PM

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I disagree and have to have MB's back on this one - Zacha was out there on the 3 on 3 in OT and you could see that he was positionally in the right place at the right time.  To be out there during that time you have to be responsible defensively as it's basically an odd man rush every second with so much space available.  I thought it was a really big placement of trust by Hynes by putting him out there, given that Zacha's not the fastest guy in the world and who else we could've put out there instead of him.

So was Hughes. Is he good defensively?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is the take that I agree with the most.  The Devils were far from perfect, but the one thought I left with was "They looked and played like an actual hockey team tonight, and at times looked pretty good in doing it."  Obviously the result kinda sucked and I was pissed as I left the building, but at least there's some reason to hope that this is moving in the right direction...starting with Hughes' play. 

But from here on out it's going to take a lot for me to be sold on Hynes being the right guy to coach this team into contention.  I'm not quite as hysterical about it as Daniel, but most definitely concerned.

I can't believe so many people agree with this take.  How did the refs steal a point from us?  Coleman's penalty late was a trip... he laid out and reach with his stick, and clearly tripped the guy, making no contact with the puck.  Then, on the goal itself that came on the PP, sure we all heard the whistle and it seemed to be a bit before the puck was in, but it was REALLY close, and beyond that, the rule was pretty clearly explained that if the puck is/was going in unimpeded and a whistle is blown accidently or prematurely, then the goal counts - which it did.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So was Hughes. Is he good defensively?

I'm not really sure.  To be honest I haven't seen him in situations where he's been relied on for his defensive skills.  But to your question, Hughes is very clearly out in a 3 on 3 OT situation for his offensive skills.  Zacha, as we all know and love to make fun of, seems to have no offensive finish whatsoever, so if you're putting him out there in a 3 on 3 situation, you're doing it based on what merits?  That's right, his defensive skills.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I would just like to point out that losing makes us all fight and seem to hate each other.  When we win, we never argue and say "Hughes is the best sniper on the team", while someone else counters back angrily or begrudgingly with "No, Palmieri is the best sniper!". It's amazing how this thread and several others about the team right now is basically a battlefield and people throwing slings and arrows, constantly disagreeing about virtually everything.

There's so much more harmony when we're good, and maybe that's natural, but this bickering is unnatural.  I guess we all need scapegoats and an outlet to vent, but I just want to say I love you all even though our team sucks right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, I would just like to point out that losing makes us all fight and seem to hate each other.  When we win, we never argue and say "Hughes is the best sniper on the team", while someone else counters back angrily or begrudgingly with "No, Palmieri is the best sniper!". It's amazing how this thread and several others about the team right now is basically a battlefield and people throwing slings and arrows, constantly disagreeing about virtually everything.

There's so much more harmony when we're good, and maybe that's natural, but this bickering is unnatural.  I guess we all need scapegoats and an outlet to vent, but I just want to say I love you all even though our team sucks right now.  

I think as far as me and you debating goes as of late, I think we've been pretty respectful of each other.  I never considered it bickering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think as far as me and you debating goes as of late, I think we've been pretty respectful of each other.  I never considered it bickering. 

True.  I've always considered you respectful, along most everyone else here, and I appreciate that, and I try to conduct myself the same way.  For what it's worth, I think you can bicker while still being respectful.  To me, bickering is a mix of arguing and complaining, often times just for the sake of it, which is kind of what I feel like is going on here over the last week as we've sucked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not really sure.  To be honest I haven't seen him in situations where he's been relied on for his defensive skills.  But to your question, Hughes is very clearly out in a 3 on 3 OT situation for his offensive skills.  Zacha, as we all know and love to make fun of, seems to have no offensive finish whatsoever, so if you're putting him out there in a 3 on 3 situation, you're doing it based on what merits?  That's right, his defensive skills.  

You’re not worried about defense in OT. Especially when you suck at the SO. Zacha was put out there to score. He did have double digit goals last season, he’s a goal scorer now. :P

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True.  I've always considered you respectful, along most everyone else here, and I appreciate that, and I try to conduct myself the same way.  For what it's worth, I think you can bicker while still being respectful.  To me, bickering is a mix of arguing and complaining, often times just for the sake of it, which is kind of what I feel like is going on here over the last week as we've sucked.  

A couple of wins will go a LONG way.  What sucked last night was feeling good about being up 3-2, but just having that feeling that SOMETHING was going to go wrong.  I pretty much knew there was no way the Devils were escaping that 6-on-4.  And I fully expected them to lose in the shootout.  I hate going into full Major League 2 Randy Quaid mode, but that's how this team has me feeling at the moment.  I just want to see them win a damned game or two already. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

. It's amazing how this thread and several others about the team right now is basically a battlefield and people throwing slings and arrows, constantly disagreeing about virtually everything.

You don't know what the fvck you're talking about.

;)

Just now, Nicomo said:

You’re not worried about defense in OT. Especially when you suck at the SO. Zacha was put out there to score. He did have double digit goals last season, he’s a goal scorer now. :P

Plus I already declared it the Year of the Zacha, did you all forget already?? Jeez, guy gets scratched one game and all of a sudden his career year is forgotten. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hall played like ass last night, imo, and I'm kind of surprised no one has called that out yet on this board, while we're all getting bogged down with critiquing Subban and Zacha (who mostly did well imo) with a magnifying glass.

Giveaways, sloppy passes, losing battles that Nico had to clean up the mess a few times, even screwed up a routine deflection on 2 dump-ins coming in from the blue line, lacked speed, etc.

Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's the rust from not playing this amount of hockey since last winter (before you tear me a new one for unrealistic expectations), but for someone whom most Devils fans wanted the "C" to get handed to on opening night, playing like that and not burying 2 golden breakaways in OT or a shootout attempt on Edmonton's backup goalie to put this nightmare start behind the team around him and the fanbase, that should yield more criticism than I'm seeing here, in comparison to Subban and Zacha.

This is someone whose 8 year, 8 digit contract could be announced sometime this month, and he's mostly being given a pass; am I missing something here?

Edited by DJ Eco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJ Eco said:

Hall played like ass last night, imo, and I'm kind of surprised no one has called that out yet on this board, while we're all getting bogged down with critiquing Subban and Zacha (who mostly did well imo) with a magnifying glass.

Giveaways, sloppy passes, losing battles that Nico had to clean up the mess a few times, even screwed up a routine deflection on 2 dump-ins coming in from the blue line, lacked speed, etc.

Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's the rust from not playing this amount of hockey since last winter, but for someone whom most Devils fans wanted the "C" handed to get handed to on opening night, playing like that and not burying 2 golden breakaways in OT or a shootout attempt on Edmonton's backup goalie should yield more criticism than I'm seeing here, in comparison to Subban and Zacha.

This is someone whose 8 year, 8 digit contract could be announced sometime this month, and he's mostly being given a pass; am I missing something here?

I mentioned Hall's play was concerning me in a post I made yesterday afternoon.  I am not hitting the panic button yet but if this is still happening in about 5-7 games from now I will start to go into panic mode.  It is making it easier for me to accept him potentially walking.

He seems to be playing scared/half speed a lot.  I just hope it is rust from not playing for 9-10 months and him still feeling out his repaired knee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DevsMan84 said:

He seems to be playing scared/half speed a lot.  I just hope it is rust from not playing for 9-10 months and him still feeling out his repaired knee.

Yeah, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt into early November, for sure. He's earned that much without a doubt, but it's concerning, and those breakaways in OT (and 2 shootout attempts so far this season) were low hanging fruit to calm our nerves a bit, and he didn't convert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hall looked good to me last night. He generated a ton of chances. And set up the go ahead goal. Finish just isn’t there right now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hall looked good to me last night. He generated a ton of chances. And set up the go ahead goal. Finish just isn’t there right now. 

He's not handling the puck as well as he usually does, like someone else said, it seems like his feet are there but his hands are not. 

That said, he looked WAY better last night than the previous two, in my opinion. He'll be fine. Just as I said about 3 games, you don't decide whether to trade him based on 4 games either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Hall played like ass last night, imo, and I'm kind of surprised no one has called that out yet on this board, while we're all getting bogged down with critiquing Subban and Zacha (who mostly did well imo) with a magnifying glass.

Giveaways, sloppy passes, losing battles that Nico had to clean up the mess a few times, even screwed up a routine deflection on 2 dump-ins coming in from the blue line, lacked speed, etc.

Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's the rust from not playing this amount of hockey since last winter (before you tear me a new one for unrealistic expectations), but for someone whom most Devils fans wanted the "C" to get handed to on opening night, playing like that and not burying 2 golden breakaways in OT or a shootout attempt on Edmonton's backup goalie to put this nightmare start behind the team around him and the fanbase, that should yield more criticism than I'm seeing here, in comparison to Subban and Zacha.

This is someone whose 8 year, 8 digit contract could be announced sometime this month, and he's mostly being given a pass; am I missing something here?

i agree that i didn't think hall was all that good last night. i know that cordell posted favorable advanced metrics for him but i think that had much more to do with nico and palms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, I would just like to point out that losing makes us all fight and seem to hate each other.  When we win, we never argue and say "Hughes is the best sniper on the team", while someone else counters back angrily or begrudgingly with "No, Palmieri is the best sniper!". It's amazing how this thread and several others about the team right now is basically a battlefield and people throwing slings and arrows, constantly disagreeing about virtually everything.

There's so much more harmony when we're good, and maybe that's natural, but this bickering is unnatural.  I guess we all need scapegoats and an outlet to vent, but I just want to say I love you all even though our team sucks right now.  

1 playoff game win / 1 playoff appearance since 2012 will make even the most optimistic person become quite sour on this team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some comments on last nights game

at least we weren't trapped in our zone for most of the game, breakouts were better.. hynes worked on it

our defensemen take turns making horrible passes, even PK seems to confuse himself skating the puck up ice 

we gave that top line way too many fast breaks with numbers due to stupid turnovers in the offensive end

Im so glad palms took that shot and didnt pass it to hall, taylor seems to have reverted back to his "non-finisher" status  hopefully its temporary 

agree with most about wood, if he was scratched, I think we win

zacha, to me, is playing very well, nico, bratt, hughes so dam comfortable with the puck.. I think its going to get much better soon

our young goalie wasnt a topic of conversation a good thing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

1 playoff game win / 1 playoff appearance since 2012 will make even the most optimistic person become quite sour on this team.

Agreed. All they have changed since then is the ownership, GM, coaching staff, and the entire roster except from two guys. And the jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

our defensemen take turns making horrible passes, even PK seems to confuse himself skating the puck up ice 

Yeah, something's weird, in those 5 days of practice between preseason and the opener, it's almost like Nasreddine had them implement some completely new and different kind of breakout pass.

Instead of our defensemen clearing the puck around the boards from behind the net or in the slot, I've noticed they just whip it up the middle, a few times whizzing dangerously close to our goalies, and many times ending up on the opposing stick. I don't know what the thought process could possibly be, other than "they would never think we're just going to whip it up the middle"???? But I've seen a bunch of our players do it, it's like a super ballsy move, but has turned into giveaways more often than it's worked in generating a rush.

It's almost like they were told to do this, and are doing it even when it doesn't look like the best option. Maybe they see what we see on the ice, and don't want to do it for that reason, so like you said, it looks like they're confused, but yeah, I've seen it enough times early this season (trying to play from the back right up through the middle) that this might be on the coaches/system telling them to make that dangerous play.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

Yeah, something's weird, in those 5 days of practice between preseason and the opener, it's almost like Nasreddine had them implement some completely new and different kind of breakout pass.

Instead of our defensemen clearing the puck around the boards from behind the net or in the slot, I've noticed they just whip it up the middle, a few times whizzing dangerously close to our goalies, and many times ending up on the opposing stick. I don't know what the thought process could possibly be, other than "they would never think we're just going to whip it up the middle"???? But I've seen a bunch of our players do it, it's like a super ballsy move, but has turned into giveaways more often than it's worked in generating a rush.

It's almost like they were told to do this, and are doing it even when it doesn't look like the best option. Maybe they see what we see on the ice, and don't want to do it for that reason, so like you said, it looks like they're confused, but yeah, I've seen it enough times early this season (trying to play from the back right up through the middle) that this might be on the coaches/system telling them to make that dangerous play.

I've been noticing exactly this and it more than anything else has me wanting the coaches' heads on platters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.