GDT: Rags @ Devils 7PM

Devils01

My own MB-style bullet point thoughts on tonight's game.

1) Blackwood was shaky in the first 5-10 minutes and didn't look good.  After that he was a stud.

2) Dare I say that Zacha actually looked pretty good out there?  He didn't get points on the board but he did some nice things on both sides of the puck.  He might actually turn into something here.

3) Nice to see Palms get out of his funk with a goal.  Guy is good for about 30 goals a season, but as much as his highs get really high his lows can get pretty damn low.

4) Hall and Subban actually played with more purpose which was nice to see.

5) What happened to Butcher?  Heard he got hurt and left the game though I didn't see it.

6) The audio quality of tonight's game was terrible.  Maybe it was my TV but I could hear all the ice and arena sounds but could barely hear the announcers.  Maybe that is a good thing...

7) PK and PP looked much better.

8.  I can't exactly say what Simmonds does outside of standing in front of the goal on a PP.  He seems to just skate around and fall on his ass on 5v5.  He is like Clarkson but somehow slower and can't score.

9) Gusev looks great with the puck, but still pretty brutal without it.  He really needs to get it together on how to play when he is away from the puck.

10) Hughes looked great.  Sucks that his first point is basically an assist off a shot that hit Wood's ass but a point is a point.  Nice to see what Hughes can do when he is not paired with someone who is either an offensive black hole or has cement shoes for skates.

11) The quality of officiating has gotten to a critical level.  While it wasn't at its worst last night, it was still pretty bad.  More and more I am thinking it is the quality of the officials who are coming in replacing some of the old guard.  From what I have heard, the AHL actually has the best refs because the refs there had to work their way up.  Meanwhile in the NHL it is more of who you know that gets you a reffing gig and not really quality.  Case in point; former Albany Devil Dan Kelly is in his first year of being an NHL ref.  From what I see, prior to this he has no experience of reffing on any level.  How does that happen?

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dmann422 said:

Positives:

• Rooney and the 4th line, really dominated their shifts.
  • Blackwood was strong, had some excellent saves, especially on the PK.
  • Subban had his best game as a Devils so far (admittedly not a high bar lol)
  • PP looked good even though the one goal we got there was flukey.

Negatives:

• Gusev gives the puck to the opponent more than he does his own team
  • Butcher at times seems to forget what a breakout pass is.
  • Mueller is ass.

I hope getting the ice broken on a few things (1st win, 1st PP goal, 1st Subban goal, 1st Hughes point) will let the team breathe a bit and get them some much needed confidence.

".......You're not Mike."

DistortedImpoliteDove-small.gif

24 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

That first goal was infuriating as Butcher decided to not play the puck and then let the pass go right by him to establish zone control. 

They had more fight in them last night, going after pucks, blocking, etc. Good to see.

I thought the first goal was on vatanen, who floated out to the half boards to chase a puck and didn't get back to the front of the net while the play developed behind him. The broadcast blamed jack for leaving his man, who scored, to occupy the high slot and puck watch. A 5v5 goal is usually the result of a mistake from at least two or three guys, always interesting to see what people pick out. 

I think MB stopped hanging around when people started seriously publicly speculating about him having intellectual disabilities. I'd stop coming, too.

1 minute ago, thecoffeecake said:

I think MB stopped hanging around when people started seriously publicly speculating about him having intellectual disabilities. I'd stop coming, too.

i miss him. As much as I am sure he is an android, he had a good sense of humor and put people in their place when necessary.

i always enjoyed his recaps and finding out whether or not we had a good or bad game, because the score and outcome didn't factor into that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I thought the first goal was on vatanen, who floated out to the half boards to chase a puck and didn't get back to the front of the net while the play developed behind him. The broadcast blamed jack for leaving his man, who scored, to occupy the high slot and puck watch. A 5v5 goal is usually the result of a mistake from at least two or three guys, always interesting to see what people pick out. 

Agreed, Butcher was 1v2 in front of net because Vatanen drifted high and the center didn't cover low for him, not much Butcher could have done.

Unfortunately the Internet is a cruel place, even if words are meant in jest, but Mike Brown if you read this we miss you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

LMAO.

When he did this during Monday's warmup, my daughter and I were laughing hysterical. He basically took a shower on the ice, he had to use about half a bottle. Then he constantly danced back and forth through the national anthem. What a weirdo! Love it. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

i miss him. As much as I am sure he is an android, he had a good sense of humor and put people in their place when necessary.

i always enjoyed his recaps and finding out whether or not we had a good or bad game, because the score and outcome didn't factor into that. 

Depends on which version of him you're talking about.

The post whore who used to argue semantics all day seemingly for the sake of doing so?  That guy was the worst.

The guy who posted (rather flawed) recaps that he appeared to take a bit too seriously...and who probably still thinks Eric Gelinas is a beast who need only get another shot in the NHL?  That guy was OK.  And could actually be quite amusing at times, when you least expected him to (in a good way).  He'd get in a good burn out of nowhere on occasion. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Have some self-awareness - you and CR76 and the rest high-fived each other for slamming him.  'I miss him'.  Pathetic.

• Like 4

Just now, Triumph said:

Have some self-awareness - you and CR76 and the rest high-fived each other for slamming him.  'I miss him'.  Pathetic.

Did I slam him? I don’t think I did. I did call him a robot. 

Did I agree with everything he wrote? No, because some of it was insane. But he was fun. 

I don't think i ever argued once with MB... which is surprising cause i'm pretty sure i argued with just about everyone else here lol

Always thought it was sh!tty that so many posters were mocking and sh!tting on him constantly. Buddy took the time to prep these recaps every game. He did it for "us" too. That they were flawed or not if you don't like it just ignore it. I'd still take that over a bunch of drama non-sense posted here on a regular basis.

I could be wrong but i also don't remember him getting personal when things were becoming heated with other posters... which let's all admit we all mostly did it at some point. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Triumph said:

And the one time I regrettably crossed the line, and was rightly taken to task for it by others, I did apologize to him.  It's fine if you want to make me sound like a d*ck, but at least tell the whole story if you're going to do that. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't think i ever argued once with MB... which is surprising cause i'm pretty sure i argued with just about everyone else here lol

Always thought it was sh!tty that so many posters were mocking and sh!tting on him constantly. Buddy took the time to prep these recaps every game. He did it for "us" too. That they were flawed or not if you don't like it just ignore it. I'd still take that over a bunch of drama non-sense posted here on a regular basis.

I could be wrong but i also don't remember him getting personal when things were becoming heated with other posters... which let's all admit we all mostly did it at some point. 

I don't know if I ever responded to a single one of his recaps, and it's probably because I think I reacted to them exactly as you described - if you don't like them or care to read them, just ignore them.  For me, I never found them particularly useful, or insane - I appreciated that he put thought and time into them, and like you said, I imagine beyond doing it for his own sake, he did it for us too since this is a forum after all.  

Also, for a guy who did take a lot of flack, justified or unjustified, he seemed to take it all in stride and was a good sport about it while he was here regularly, and, now that he's not here regularly, he seems to have left without much of a scene or uproar.   It may not even be intentional, but he has a certain level of diplomacy. 

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I miss laughing at how pissed off people got at them for whatever reason.

The one part of them that I thought were a bit much was the whole "stoppable shot" crap...MB definitely was NOT alone in that fans tend to overreact to what they consider "soft" goals (especially ones given up by their team's goalie), and act like EVERY "stoppable" shot should be...well...stopped.  As though every other goalie in the NHL is only getting beaten by laser-beams and highlight-reel tic-tac-toe plays.  EVERY GOALIE gets beaten on seemingly easy shots from time to time...just like many of them manage to steal what seem like almost guaranteed goals.

But I always thought it was unfair to pick apart goalies like that...especially since there was never any ying to counterbalance the yang in such an analysis.  In those recaps, you never heard about the shots that were kept out of the net...just the ones that resulted in goals.  Almost like dismissing every stopped shot as automatically stoppable by default and acting as though they weren't subject to the same level of scrutiny, even if some of those saves were highlight-reel material in themselves. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The one part of them that I thought were a bit much was the whole "stoppable shot" crap...MB definitely was NOT alone in that fans tend to overreact to what they consider "soft" goals (especially ones given up by their team's goalie), and act like EVERY "stoppable" shot should be...well...stopped.  As though every other goalie in the NHL is only getting beaten by laser-beams and highlight-reel tic-tac-toe plays.  EVERY GOALIE gets beaten on seemingly easy shots from time to time...just like many of them manage to steal what seem like almost guaranteed shots.

But I always thought it was unfair to pick apart goalies like that...especially since there was never any ying to counterbalance the yang in such an analysis.  In those recaps, you never heard about the shots that were kept out of the net...just the ones that resulted in goals.  Almost like dismissing every stopped shot as automatically stoppable by default and acting as though they weren't subject to the same level of scrutiny, even if some of those saves were highlight-reel material in themselves. 

Just think of the reaction of one of our guys let in that Coleman goal yesterday. Goals happen and getting beat clean happens. I always felt percentage and timing of saves were most important (but I may be biased as a former goalie)

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The one part of them that I thought were a bit much was the whole "stoppable shot" crap...MB definitely was NOT alone in that fans tend to overreact to what they consider "soft" goals (especially ones given up by their team's goalie), and act like EVERY "stoppable" shot should be...well...stopped.  As though every other goalie in the NHL is only getting beaten by laser-beams and highlight-reel tic-tac-toe plays.  EVERY GOALIE gets beaten on seemingly easy shots from time to time...just like many of them manage to steal what seem like almost guaranteed goals.

I  knew I wouldn't agree with them so I didn't really read them that much. The way some people would react was just hilarious though because they'd get mad at every.single.one he would post and it was hilarious. You'd think they'd have just stopped reading his posts after the game, but people love to argue so they do it to themselves.

I'm in the minority, but I thought that Mike Brown was an overall solid poster here. The semantics arguments were annoying, but he mostly stopped with that around the time he started with the game recaps. I actually appreciated those recaps for games that I missed, because they (along with recaps from other members) usually gave me some sense of how the team played. And even if you didn't like them, they were pretty harmless, and could easily be ignored. With that being said, posts like this were just too funny:

GOALS AGAINST

• Goal 1: screened in front - can't really blame Kinkaid on this one
  • Goal 2: 2 on 0, Greene and Severson hung Kinkaid out to dry - can't blame him for that
  • Goal 3: perfect shot from the slot, no goalie is going to get that one
  • Goal 4: Kinkaid was interfered with, but no call - can't blame him for missing that one

SUMMARY

• Kinkaid really needs to show up if we're going to win any games