Devils01

GDT: Rags @ Devils 7PM

Fitz is a PK whisperer.. Zacha was excellent in that role..our young goalie came up big, pickles is clutch, subban not only skates well, but he is a board battler .. a spider behind the net.. when the rags scored to start the third I said here we go again,

Hynes lives on, another day

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

Did Fitz really turn this team around in less than 48 hours?

It’s what we do. 

• Haha 5

Another note on PK, the guy can't clear a single god dam puck out of our zone for 59 minutes of the game , but as soon as there is a sniff of an EN the guy is sending the puck pinpoint into the center of the net from the other end of the ice. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

I was almost right 🙂

and to my first win in a GDT!!

"You're scratched from starting the next ten GDTs." - John Hynes

• Haha 2

Finally a win. Great game and Blackwood came up huge. Hope he gains more confidence from this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hall is getting suspended.

1 hour ago, Devs3cups said:

I mean, Fox fvcking ducked

His right skate lost its edge and he did duck down, Taylor had his chest lined up and had no chance to pull back. 

• Like 1

Didn't get to watch all of this one with the Yankees on, but I didn't get the sense that the Devils played all that well.  They just got some breaks and Blackwood played well.  There seemed to be more attention to detail, but then breakdowns like goal #1 where Hughes is skating around covering nothing.

Based on this game from what I saw Hughes has a lot and I say a lot of learning to do. To be expected from an 18 year old kid 

Edited by Devils01

Just now, Triumph said:

Didn't get to watch all of this one with the Yankees on, but I didn't get the sense that the Devils played all that well.  They just got some breaks and Blackwood played well.  There seemed to be more attention to detail, but then breakdowns like goal #1 where Hughes is skating around covering nothing.

Yeah Blackwood was totally hung out to dry on the first goal. Gotta show the boys the Mighty Ducks so they can clear the garbage in front. 

I will admit that going into the third, I definitely thought maybe they had us right where they wanted us, but the streak was meant to be broken tonight. It’s a Fitz thing. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah Blackwood was totally hung out to dry on the first goal. Gotta show the boys the Mighty Ducks so they can clear the garbage in front. 

I will admit that going into the third, I definitely thought maybe they had us right where they wanted us, but the streak was meant to be broken tonight. It’s a Fitz thing. 

Fitzgerald was caught yelling at Nessradine..it is a Fitz thing

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

"Got some breaks and Blackwood played well," doesn't really sum up the game all too well - though as you said, you didn't watch all of it. Yeah possession numbers at 5v5 weren't all that great but there was a lot of special teams tonight and the Devils looked a lot better throughout - nothing looked AHL-caliber really and there was structure out there. Hughes lost his man on the first goal, but overall I didn't count the Devils allowing too many high quality chances on the net and never lost control of the momentum for too long.

• Like 5

Let’s talk about Rangers with punchable faces. Does Panarin now top that list or does Mika still hold the title?

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

They actually did probably play their best game of the season tonight. They were harder on pucks and much more aggressive. There were considerably less team fvckups than there have been even though you still had players that have been bad continue to be bad.

gusev has that shot which is great. just about everything else he did tonight was very much not good. he was a turnover machine and failed to get stick with his man that led to a good scoring chance for the rangers off his turnover.

simmonds - for fvcks sake, can this guy win one fvcking board battle - he is boyle 2.0 in that he's a big guy that could not play any smaller.

vatanen was not very good tonight - goal one maybe box out your man?

as for the good

blackwood made some terrific saves. i would've liked his rebound control to be better but he could've easily given up 4 tonight so good on him.

zacha was great tonight. i don't care that he was off the score sheet - he played a great 200 foot game tonight and in all situations.

PK was what he needs to be tonight - agressive but still safe and seemed to control the play in the d zone.

rooney played a great game in his role tonight - that can play for me on the 4th all season if that's the kind of game we'll get from him.

as a whole, this is the kind of game we all expected from this team. some letdowns here and there, but pretty aggressive for the most part and challenging the opposition consistently.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

Fitzgerald was caught yelling at Nessradine..it is a Fitz thing

Really? I fvcking love it. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Let’s talk about Rangers with punchable faces. Does Panarin now top that list or does Mika still hold the title?

As they are the Rangers, all of their faces are punchable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

gusev has that shot which is great. just about everything else he did tonight was very much not good. he was a turnover machine and failed to get stick with his man that led to a good scoring chance for the rangers off his turnover.

zacha was great tonight. i don't care that he was off the score sheet - he played a great 200 foot game tonight and in all situations.

I am not impressed at all with Gusev, which is funny because he’s got a few goals and that great shot. He can’t carry the puck worth a damn, really all he can do is shoot when fed the puck. I guess there’s a place for that. 

Zacha played a great game. Looking at him from a positive perspective has been good for me. I don’t believe I’ll be getting that Zacha jersey anytime soon, but it’s been good watching him from a different perspective. Of course, with the likes of Hall, Hischier, Hughes, Palmieri, even Gusev all being ahead of him offense wise, he doesn’t need to be “the man”. 

You just have to forget where he was picked at this point. I liken it to when I was coming out of law school and everyone was so concerned about what their class rank was. 17 years later, nobody gives a crap and I don’t even remember my ranking. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

As they are the Rangers, all of their faces are punchable. 

Truth. In case anyone thought my new positive attitude extends to them, it does not, I still fvcking hate all of them. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d throw Fox in there as well. His chin looks very punchable to me. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’d throw Fox in there as well. His chin looks very punchable to me. 

Taylor agrees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

"Got some breaks and Blackwood played well," doesn't really sum up the game all too well - though as you said, you didn't watch all of it. Yeah possession numbers at 5v5 weren't all that great but there was a lot of special teams tonight and the Devils looked a lot better throughout - nothing looked AHL-caliber really and there was structure out there. Hughes lost his man on the first goal, but overall I didn't count the Devils allowing too many high quality chances on the net and never lost control of the momentum for too long.

The Devils goals were as follows -

A shot off the mask that somehow went in five-hole

A goal off a faceoff rebound

A goal off a player's ass

A goal that basically came as the result of a defender's stick breaking in the middle of play

An empty-netter

I know the Devils got chances they didn't convert on, but they definitely got plenty of breaks on the offensive end.

Edited by Triumph

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

They actually did probably play their best game of the season tonight. They were harder on pucks and much more aggressive. There were considerably less team fvckups than there have been even though you still had players that have been bad continue to be bad.

simmonds - for fvcks sake, can this guy win one fvcking board battle - he is boyle 2.0 in that he's a big guy that could not play any smaller.

vatanen was not very good tonight - goal one maybe box out your man?

as for the good

blackwood made some terrific saves. i would've liked his rebound control to be better but he could've easily given up 4 tonight so good on him.

PK was what he needs to be tonight - agressive but still safe and seemed to control the play in the d zone.

rooney played a great game in his role tonight - that can play for me on the 4th all season if that's the kind of game we'll get from him.

as a whole, this is the kind of game we all expected from this team. some letdowns here and there, but pretty aggressive for the most part and challenging the opposition consistently.

Yeah, I agree they were harder on pucks tonight, but I think their game against Edmonton was better.  Although I will say I liked the penalty kill when I saw it, which was pretty frequently.

As for Simmonds, he is not big.  He is taller than the average NHLer, but he weighs 185, which isn't tiny but is certainly below the average.  

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The Devils goals were as follows -

A shot off the mask that somehow went in five-hole

A goal off a faceoff rebound

A goal off a player's ass

A goal that basically came as the result of a defender's stick breaking in the middle of play

An empty-netter

I know the Devils got chances they didn't convert on, but they definitely got plenty of breaks on the offensive end.

I don't deny they got breaks - though it should be said some of the breaks you're listing - weren't the only reason for the goals. But yeah the Devils got some bounces - but they were good tonight and breaks don't negate that and don't tell the story of the game - their special teams (notably the PK) were markedly improved and they played an overall more aggressive game - they looked like a real team out there and the reason I responded to your original post - which wasn't exactly outrageously off-mark is because it was fairly easy to see that the Devils played well - Blackwood included and there wasn't really any extended period of time where things got ugly.

If there was anyone on the ice who seemed just as bad as usual it would be Gusev and I'm not sure that situation is changing anytime soon - we're going to get the bad with the occasional pretty goal/assist.

I stated it before the game that the Devils were always soft on the penalty kill, would give the opposition all day at the blue line and would allow them to setup the play which often resulted in a strong scoring chance.

Tonight they were def more aggressive, when they were on the kill they didn’t just sit back and wait for them to get a shot off, got in between passes, better at blocking shots, smart with clearing the puck.  That has to stay consistent.  They took a lot of penalties tonight so they gotta clean that up but much better job with attacking on the PK.