GDT: Rags @ Devils 7PM

Devils01

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Just think of the reaction of one of our guys let in that Coleman goal yesterday. Goals happen and getting beat clean happens. I always felt percentage and timing of saves were most important (but I may be biased as a former goalie)

I'm definitely not a former goalie, but I agree, save% is usually a reasonable indicator (and the ability to make that "big" save, which helped to make Marty so special)...obviously that number can be adversely affected on an awful defensive team (just ask Chico), and there's other factors. 

I remember MB usually going a step further in trying to pick apart save%s (particularly Cory's, even when he was in the .920s)...think he used to break them down into low danger, medium danger, and high danger chances.  Also used to divide them by low volume/high volume of shots, IIRC.  It's been a while. 

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I  knew I wouldn't agree with them so I didn't really read them that much. The way some people would react was just hilarious though because they'd get mad at every.single.one he would post and it was hilarious. You'd think they'd have just stopped reading his posts after the game, but people love to argue so they do it to themselves.

Yeah I pretty much stopped reading them for the most part because there was something about them that would bother me (there were times where they just felt self-important to me), and sometimes I'd respond.  I realized it's probably better just not to respond at all.  But yeah, there were definitely exchanges that I had with him that I could've and should've handled better.  I can admit that. 

39 minutes ago, nessus said:

With that being said, posts like this were just too funny:

GOALS AGAINST

• Goal 1: screened in front - can't really blame Kinkaid on this one
  • Goal 2: 2 on 0, Greene and Severson hung Kinkaid out to dry - can't blame him for that
  • Goal 3: perfect shot from the slot, no goalie is going to get that one
  • Goal 4: Kinkaid was interfered with, but no call - can't blame him for missing that one

SUMMARY

• Kinkaid really needs to show up if we're going to win any games

Those are exactly the posts I loved. Or “We lost 8-2, but we actually played very well”. 

When MB first joined the board, he came on hard - and the ribbing was fine at first, it makes new posters better posters (myself especially) - but over the last couple of years, what was at first light rookie hazing turned into bullying and I didn't really get why people were continuing to do it. Mocking stupid posts is one thing, but making him the laughing stock of every joke is another. He was a fine, if not a bit...idiosyncratic poster. I hope he comes back - whether you like his posts or not he adds variety to the board. I don't get offended by much of the other topics/jokes that seem to offend some others on this board, but every poster should be treated with respect to a certain degree. I'm not looking to point fingers, I'm guilty of my share of mocking on this board, but I think the lesson learned should be to make sure to check ourselves on the mob mocking and "high-fiving" gang ups sometimes.

That all said, none of us actually know why MB doesn't post much anymore - he did post the other day - and to his credit, he always seemed unfazed by the heat he took - though you never know what's going on behind the scenes.

31 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

To his credit, MB has been very critical of Hynes system for years. And I seem to remember some people accusing him of acting like he’s smarter than our coaches. Looks like he might have been right the whole time...

Yeah, I was one of them.  Now that Fitz is in the fold, I'm curious to see if it's more Nasreddine or Hynes that's the issue. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I was one of them.  Now that Fitz is in the fold, I'm curious to see if it's more Nasreddine or Hynes that's the issue. 

Is it likely for a head coach to fire his assistants during the year? I assume infinitely more likely they all get the axe than that happening.

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

When he did this during Monday's warmup, my daughter and I were laughing hysterical. He basically took a shower on the ice, he had to use about half a bottle. Then he constantly danced back and forth through the national anthem. What a weirdo! Love it. 

He’s exactly what this team needed.

Nico and Jack are so easy to root for. Both seem like really high character kids. 

I’m so excited about finally having such good centers on this team. 

Hischier, Hughes, Zacha, Zajac, has to make the Devils one of the deepest teams down the middle around the league. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Nico and Jack are so easy to root for. Both seem like really high character kids. 

I’m so excited about finally having such good centers on this team. 

Hischier, Hughes, Zacha, Zajac, has to make the Devils one of the deepest teams down the middle around the league. 

Seriously - I'm sure they've both been coached well (Jack especially, since he's probably been groomed since 13 for this) but still.. they both seem like such genuine players.  So easy to root for.

We've suffered a lot as Devils fans over the past like.. decade?  But now we finally have some fun players to root for.  Feelsgoodman.

• Like 1