Nico Hischier to sign 7 year extension, 7.25 AAV

Triumph

Seems like a lot, and hopefully Nico's best years are yet to come.  No complaints though.  I like Nico a lot...I don't feel bad about taking a risk like that with him.  Good for him and good for us!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Shero is definitely banking on Nico improving substantially over the course of this deal.. it's a lot of money.

I'm not upset at all about it.  But.. it's a lot of dough for a guy that hasn't put up more than 52 points in a season.

If you think Nico doesn't even deserve "Kevin Hays" money you're smoking something. I think this is a freaking deal and a half.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Shero is definitely banking on Nico improving substantially over the course of this deal.. it's a lot of money.

I'm not upset at all about it.  But.. it's a lot of dough for a guy that hasn't put up more than 52 points in a season.

Again, I think it’s pretty comparable to Keller’ s deal. 

Nico 101 P in 157 GP

Keller 119 P in 173 GP

• Like 2

Just now, Rob_Ottawa said:

Sad league when unproven guys get all the cake and vets are left unemployed. But it is what it is.  And I don't know how to fix it either, longer entry contract timeframe perhaps?

You've got your share of overpaid vets too.  And vet deals that seemed like decent buys, but didn't look so good once that player declined. 

I'd much rather pay a kid like Hischier (though you're clearly hoping he's going to get better) then ante up for a 30+ year old vet, who fades 3-4 years into his contract.  As least with Nico, you're paying for prime years. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If you think Nico doesn't even deserve "Kevin Hays" money you're smoking something. I think this is a freaking deal and a half.

It's not a great comparison.  K. Hayes got his $$ in free agency, when everyone is overpriced and every team overpays.  Nico has a number of controllable years left before he hits FA.   I get what you are saying, and agree that Nico is a much better player than Hayes,   However, as others have already said, Shero clearly thinks hes going to seriously outpace his average production to date and it is better to lock him up long term at a higher value than he would otherwise get now, which is a gamble I would take as well.  I also think this deal eats into 1 or 2 of his FA years, which will drive the AAV up.   

Like the signing.  Love Nico as a player and a cornerstone of this franchise for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not a great comparison - I don't think anyone in the league outside of the Flyers organization thinks Hays deserves that contract :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Again, I think it’s pretty comparable to Keller’ s deal. 

Nico 101 P in 157 GP

Keller 119 P in 173 GP

Better comparison, for sure.  

People said the Keller deal was a gamble/risk - I think the same applies here.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Sad league when unproven guys get all the cake and vets are left unemployed. But it is what it is.  And I don't know how to fix it either, longer entry contract timeframe perhaps?

The vets like Zajac, Greene, and Schneider, that are all getting paid handsomely on long term deals? 

Oh, and kudos to both Shero and Nico for getting this done now.  Easy to let these higher-profile RFA situations drag out, and we've seen plenty of that.  Nice that we won't have to deal with that this summer.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Who exactly are the vets that are unemployed?  And I'm not sure what makes Nico unproven.  He's been here 3 years, and by all accounts has shown that he is, and will continue to be a valuable two-way center.  

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can be upset with this deal.  7M a year is literally less than half of what a max contract would be, and locking him up for 7 years is even better.  He's still incredibly young and aside from this little injury, should be pretty healthy I would assume, and also probably only continue to produce the same or better given the significant increase in talent around him.  

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No I mean vets like Boyle who cant get a job because of Cap issues due to young guys eating everything. See Oilers, EDM as the prime example

Boyle could easily sign for league minimum somewhere. The problem is no one wants to give an old slow player a spot over a kid that could use that ice time to get better. It isn't a cap problem, its a logistics problem. 

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No I mean vets like Boyle who cant get a job because of Cap issues due to young guys eating everything. See Oilers, EDM as the prime example

So you’re surprised there’s more of a demand for Nico Hischier than there is for Brian Boyle? That’s what you’re saying here? 

No I just find it ridiculous in general that a guy who has scored 50 points a year now demands 7$ mil in salary.

Mostly to stop him from holding out/signing offer sheets etc. because he knows he has the leverage

The whole thing is ridiculous, but that is what the sport is coming to.

And no, I don't think Kevin Hayes is worth his contract either but that was just Philly being dumb again.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa
  • Angry 1