Nico Hischier to sign 7 year extension, 7.25 AAV

Triumph

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So you’re surprised there’s more of a demand for Nico Hischier than there is for Brian Boyle? That’s what you’re saying here? 

He's mad a kid can get fair market value while no one will employ a vet like Boyle simply to keep him employed -- despite the lack of logic in giving said vet a roster spot over a younger player. lol

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He's mad a kid can get fair market value while no one will employ a vet like Boyle simply to keep him employed -- despite the lack of logic in giving said vet a roster spot over a younger player. lol

I mean, Wayne Simmonds got himself a nice deal this season with NJ, and we’re seeing how that’s working out so far...

And as much as I like Boyle, Simmonds has been the better player over the course of their careers. 

I don't know how Nico Hischier is 'unproven'.  Anyway that's the only way you ever get any value is by betting on players who might be better than their results have shown so far.  The Devils are almost certain to not recoup full value on a Taylor Hall contract even though he's much more proven, because most teams are aware of what his value should be, and are willing to pay him for too long to produce those results.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Im not mad as you say, just depressed at the dollar figures being given out to unproven players.

He’s not “unproven.” He stepped into the league at 18 and centered the top line on our only playoff team in the last 7 years. 

• Like 1

Love this contract. Nico is such a useful player on this team. He'll get bigger and stronger, he's extremely useful defensively and on the PK and he puts up points and will continue to develop and rack up numbers. He has the potential to become one of the best 2-way centres in the league imo. He's still so young and showing so much promise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Boyle got over 17 million since he entered the league. If he wants to play more he could take less. Boo f*cking hoo. 

Yeah, I like Boyle a lot, but that’s damn good money for a forward that never put up more than 35 points in a season...

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No I just find it ridiculous in general that a guy who has scored 50 points a year now demands 7$ mil in salary.

Mostly to stop him from holding out/signing offer sheets etc. because he knows he has the leverage

The whole thing is ridiculous, but that is what the sport is coming to.

And no, I don't think Kevin Hayes is worth his contract either but that was just Philly being dumb again.

Lmao at this take, this is so YOU.

RFAs don't have a ton of leverage, because they can't really go anywhere else...sure, on rare occasions an offer sheet is signed, and that can get the process moving (the player's original team having the right to match, where without an offer sheet, negotiations can drag and stall and drag and stall some more), but for the most part, that player is usually stuck, because GMs don't usually dole out offer sheets...even when they have the opportunity to take advantage of a team up against the cap.   

How do you know Hischier "demanded" anything?  Seems like this very under-the-radar signing went quite smoothly...maybe it was as simple as Shero taking a look at some comparables (like Keller), and having a good idea of what a player like Nico is worth, based on today's market, current skillset, and general upside.  And Nico realizing that he's about to become a $50+ million player with a lot of security.  There's risk and reward on both sides, but Tri said it perfectly...these kinds of contracts represent your best chance to get real value in later seasons. 

I'm not definitely not against the idea of Hall being re-signed, but you will never get this kind of bargain potential with him (and you usually don't with UFAs).  Once he signs his $11-12 million per year deal, he'll almost be defined by it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

RFAs don't have a ton of leverage, because they can't really go anywhere else...sure, on rare occasions an offer sheet is signed, and that can get the process moving (the player's original team having the right to match, where without an offer sheet, negotiations can drag and stall and drag and stall some more), but for the most part, that player is usually stuck, because GMs don't usually dole out offer sheets...even when they have the opportunity to take advantage of a team up against the cap.   

How do you know Hischier "demanded" anything?  Seems like this very under-the-radar signing went quite smoothly...maybe it was as simple as Shero taking a look at some comparables (like Keller), and having a good idea of what a player like Nico is worth, based on today's marker, current skillset, and general upside.  And Nico realizing that he's about to become a $50+ million player with a lot of security.  There's risk and reward on both sides, but Tri said it perfectly...these kinds of contracts represent your best chance to get real value in later seasons. 

I'm not definitely not against the idea of Hall being re-signed, but you will never get this kind of bargain potential with him (and you usually don't with UFAs).  Once he signs his $11-12 million per year deal, he'll almost be defined by it. 

Not to mention it is a great sign when a player signs early.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not to mention it is a great sign when a player signs early.

Some guys can decline early, or become injury-prone, and you can never rule those possibilities out, but yeah, if I'm going to take a risk like this, I don't mind doing it for a 20-year-old who will only be 21 when this deal kicks in.  This contract will be done well before he turns 30.  The kid has already shown some nice skills (not all of which show up in the quick-glance glamour categories) and the Devils now have him for eight more seasons (including this one).  I love that this has been taken care of with so little hassle. 

Just feels like a Devils win even though they never took the ice for a game today.  Getting happier about this by the minute.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

This is not a hard one - very fair value (in line with his peers) for a 20 year old who has averaged .64 ppg and plays in all situations. I'm sure the analytics room was more than happy with this contract as well. Just as fun fact btw, in 2027 Nico is going to have lower cap hit than Zach Parise did in 2013.

Btw, it's official.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This is not a hard one - very fair value (in line with his peers) for a 20 year old who has averaged .64 ppg and plays in all situations. I'm sure the analytics room was more than happy with this contract as well. Just as fun fact btw, in 2027 Nico is going to have lower cap hit than Zach Parise did in 2013.

Btw, it's official.

Doesn't sound like he's that committed. If he was why not sign the 8th year? /joking!

Edited by pumpkin cutter

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How do you know Hischier "demanded" anything?  Seems like this very under-the-radar signing went quite smoothly...maybe it was as simple as Shero taking a look at some comparables (like Keller), and having a good idea of what a player like Nico is worth, based on today's market, current skillset, and general upside.  And Nico realizing that he's about to become a $50+ million player with a lot of security.  There's risk and reward on both sides, but Tri said it perfectly...these kinds of contracts represent your best chance to get real value in later seasons. 

No, I never said that Nico pushed for this. I don't sense any kind of animosity from him at all. My point is that GMs feel the need to throw out buckets of cash to 50 point players early now to avoid RFA headaches later.

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wish I could up-vote this 1,000 times.

See the source image

11 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea but he's proven. - Rob_Ottawa probably (lol)

You guys are running with this a little too much. Boyle was just an example, Im not even a big fan of his. My point is that the league is going towards all young guys getting everything and older guys being pushed out because of it. You can use any veteran player example you like.

6 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Doesn't sound like he's that committed. If he was why not sign the 8th year?

Maybe Shero chose to do that. If he wasn't committed he would've waited this summer and milk the most money possible and probably wait it out like the rest of those RFA's.

• Like 1