Nico Hischier to sign 7 year extension, 7.25 AAV

Triumph

17 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No I mean vets like Boyle who cant get a job because of Cap issues due to young guys eating everything. See Oilers, EDM as the prime example

The new NHL is I'm going to get paid in my 20's when I'm in my prime. We'll see more high end bridge contracts.  No more getting paid for what you did in the past.  Boyle wouldn't cost anyone a ton of $$. IMO, 800K is better than not getting paid at all, and starting to rust.

• Like 1

Anyone still talking about non-leverage, RFAs and overpaying them...  is still relying on team building from the 90s/00s.     The league has shifted from paying over the hill UFAs (34+) for their past...  and now pays young talent for what they WILL bring.    You do not want to be the Islanders losing Tavares.

Veteran talent will sign cheap deals to stay in the league or sign short term one/two year deals to fit inside the cap situation of each team. See: Simmonds 

But you lock up your core with high end talent... and then you fill in around it...  because there is a lot of serviceable talent...  there is a finite availability of star talent.    We had to rebuild AND win a lottery for Nico...   if you can sign him under 8mm AAV for term...   that’s a huge win.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

Hall could possibly be there, decent chance Zacha will be, perhaps Boqvist.  And it’s plausible PK plays til he’s 37 and 38 and decides to play here.  And of course Miles Wood.  He’ll be here forever.

I was primarily amused that he was committing to 7 more years with a GM that's almost certain not to make it that long. The coach won't be here. How many guys on the roster have been here 7 years? Greene and Zajac, Cory will be in June (which is hard to believe).

57 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I was primarily amused that he was committing to 7 more years with a GM that's almost certain not to make it that long. The coach won't be here. How many guys on the roster have been here 7 years? Greene and Zajac, Cory will be in June (which is hard to believe).

Why do you think Shero won’t still be there? 

56 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

His only other choice would be to force a trade, which would probably mean having him hold out and end up making less money when it’s all said and done.  If anything the slowish start made him more willing to accept the deal like he got now, then, say hoping to have a Sebastian Aho type year.

Ray will probably be here that long if he wants to be.  The coaches are another story.

23 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Being that Nico has played two 40 games + seasons already, I corrected myself above to point out that the contract buys 3 UFA seasons.

The Devils will have Hughes and Hischier until at least 2027. If the Devils can't turn this season around - I hope that security can still convince Hall it's worth sticking around. It'd be nice if the goaltending situation was more secure, but Hall now knows that for at least 7 of 8 years of his contract, Hischier and Hughes will be here.

I wonder if that is part of the plan?

10 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I love when they do sh!t like this, like who put this together? you should be embarrassed.

In fairness, it's probably some 18 year old intern.

"Quick, find a picture of Nico Hischier for a bit!"

"Who?"

"Just google '13, Devils'"

"okay boss"

And once again, thank whoever that Shero went down this path in 2017...because I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be a thread like this if he had taken Nolan Patrick instead...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And once again, thank whoever that Shero went down this path in 2017...because I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be a thread like this if he had taken Nolan Patrick instead...

Can you imagine?  

I cringe even thinking about it.  Would've been the biggest bust at 1OA since Yakupov. 

11 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can you imagine?  

I cringe even thinking about it.  Would've been the biggest bust at 1OA since Yakupov. 

He does at least have age on his side, but you gotta wonder if he’s simply too brittle to ever reach his ceiling.  

On 10/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, Nicomo said:

Why do you think Shero won’t still be there? 

What's the average shelf life of an NHL GM? He's already been here four plus years and made the playoffs one time. The dude won a cup in Pittsburgh and was fired after 8. 

It's not that I think he's doing a bad job, it's that this is a results driven industry where the best of the best are put out of work every year. 

On 10/20/2019 at 7:34 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Have to eat crow every time this comes up, I was all aboard the Nolan trade. Couldn't be happier I was wrong.

7 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

What's the average shelf life of an NHL GM? He's already been here four plus years and made the playoffs one time. The dude won a cup in Pittsburgh and was fired after 8.

I don’t know the answer, but I’m sure you have to consider the situation too. He walked into Pittsburgh having both Crosby and Malkin, and walked into NJ with next to nothing. 

4 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Have to eat crow every time this comes up, I was all aboard the Nolan trade. Couldn't be happier I was wrong.

I've mentioned this previously, but for me, I was pretty much in "Trust Ray" mode on that one.  I figured whoever he took, he had very good reason for doing so...there wasn't a clear-cut #1 between the two, though I think Patrick had more of the edge prior to his injury in his final season in juniors.  I was definitely getting more and more of a feeling that Ray was going to take Nico though, as we got closer to that draft day.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know the answer, but I’m sure you have to consider the situation too. He walked into Pittsburgh having both Crosby and Malkin, and walked into NJ with next to nothing. 

What kind of sucks for Shero is that I think he's done some very good things here (even if the records to date in general don't reflect that), given what he started with...and I'm sure if the Devils do win something in the next 3-5 years, you'll hear "Oh sure, always great to tank your way into getting two #1 OA picks...he had two #1s and two #2 in Pittsburgh...luckiest GM ever!"  Yeah, Shero definitely got some incredibly good fortune here, we all know it, but it's not like he hasn't made any creative or strong moves...or built his team strictly by slowly accumulating draftees. 

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've mentioned this previously, but for me, I was pretty much in "Trust Ray" mode on that one.  I figured whoever he took, he had very good reason for doing so...there wasn't a clear-cut #1 between the two, though I think Patrick had more of the edge prior to his injury in his final season in juniors.  I was definitely getting more and more of a feeling that Ray was going to take Nico though, as we got closer to that draft day.

What kind of sucks for Shero is that I think he's done some very good things here (even if the records to date in general don't reflect that), given what he started with...and I'm sure if the Devils do win something in the next 3-5 years, you'll hear "Oh sure, always great to tank your way into getting two #1 OA picks...he had two #1s and two #2 in Pittsburgh...luckiest GM ever!"  Yeah, Shero definitely got some incredibly good fortune here, we all know it, but it's not like he hasn't made any creative or strong moves...or built his team strictly by slowly accumulating draftees. 

The only year I would make the argument that Ray may have set us up for failure was last year. I don't think he had any reasonable expectation of success. Having come off Taylor's MVP year in which we barely made it to the playoffs and then weren't competitive, he made almost no changes, so he had to be expecting the same result. Once Taylor went down, he had to be expecting a worse result. 

I don't think you can argue that moves like acquiring Hall or this past offseason can be viewed in that same way. 

And we didn't luck into two #1 draft picks. We earned that sh!t by playing like a$$ like you're supposed to. 

57 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yea of course the expectations were different, he would've gotten his walking papers by now if he had this lack of success with that roster. But not many guys can keep their job after 5 or 6 years and only making one playoff appearance. I think his seat will start getting warm if this season doesn't get turned around. Maybe he gets one more coach, but not with the leash he's given Hynes. 

I think he'd get two more full seasons to get results if there's a coaching change this year. 

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The only year I would make the argument that Ray may have set us up for failure was last year. I don't think he had any reasonable expectation of success. Having come off Taylor's MVP year in which we barely made it to the playoffs and then weren't competitive, he made almost no changes, so he had to be expecting the same result. Once Taylor went down, he had to be expecting a worse result. 

I don't think you can argue that moves like acquiring Hall or this past offseason can be viewed in that same way. 

And we didn't luck into two #1 draft picks. We earned that sh!t by playing like a$$ like you're supposed to. 

For the first part, I've said it before, but that was an evaluation year...it made sense to see if certain guys could build off promising seasons before trying to add even more bodies.  I don't necessarily believe that Shero was expecting a lot of regression (though there were reasons to think that could happen).  But you had your share of injuries in 2018-19 (including a killer one to Hall) and you had guys like Johansson never really putting it together. 

I do think Shero probably would've preferred not to make the deals that brought in Grabner and Maroon, but felt like he owed that 2017-18 team some support.

The Devils did get lucky in winning the lottery not once but twice.  Sure, they did play like a$$, but it's not like they had the NHL's worst record in either season...in one of those seasons, the worst team finished 22 points behind the Devils.  I think we would've been thrilled just one lottery win.   

Anyway, back on topic...hope Nico's back in on Friday.  Was really hoping he was going to play this past Saturday so that I could give him a nice cheer. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976