Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

Now that we're nearly a month into the season, I figure it's time to get started with some updates on the Devils' prospects. As always, All About the Jersey does a great job on their weekly updates: https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2019/10/22/20924131/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-10-22-19

Here are some notable updates:

Ty Smith has 8 points through his first 10 games. If my memory is correct, he has slowed down a bit after 6 points in his first 3. By all accounts, he has looked very good so far this season. Hopefully the offense picks up again.

Graeme Clarke (RW, 3rd round, 80th overall, 2019) has started his season with 7 goals in 9 games, for a total of 9 points with the Ottawa 67's.

Tyce Thompson (C, 4th round overager from 2019, who many of us were unsure why he was picked that early) is off to an excellent start to his second season with Providence College - 5-6-11 (goals-assists-points) through his first 6 games! Looking like a great call by Castron here if he can keep it up! Also playing for Providence is the Hughes-approved Pat Moynihan (C, 158 overall, 2019), who has 5 points through those 6 games as a freshman.

Mitchell Hoelscher (C, 172th overall, 2018) has 15 points through his first 12 games with the Ottawa 67's this season. This is a significant boost in his production from last year where he accumulated 40 points through 68 games.

Talvitie (C, 160th overall, 2017) is back with Penn State, 2-2-4 through his first 5. This is one of our more promising prospects, assuming he has had a full recovery from his recent injury. Keep an eye out for how he does this season.

Nikola Pasic (C/LW, 189th overall, 2019) has 11 points through his first 14 games with BIK Karlskoga (Allsvenskan).

Arseni Grisyuk (LW, 129th overall, 2019) has 19 points through 18 games with his MHL team this season.

Nikita Okhotyuk (D, 61st overall, 2019) is back from injury, 3 games into his season with the Ottawa 67's with 1 assist.

Daniil Misyul (D, 70th overall, 2019) has 2 goals in 17 games with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL).

Reilly Walsh's season has not started yet.

As for Binghamton, we are currenlty 9 games into the season. Some of our top prospects down there:

Seney: 5-5-10

Anderson: 2-5-7

McLeod: 3-3-6

Bastian: 1-5-6

Studenic: 2-0-2

• Like 4

So i'm going to the 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series tomorrow. So i'll get to check out our prospect Nikita Okhotyuk play for Russia. And god knows, we might draft another one of those prospects. Not sure if i'm hoping we draft Lafreniere or not... lol

here's the lineups

Canada https://chlcanadarussia.ca/roster/11/66

Russia https://chlcanadarussia.ca/roster/8

Edit: GODDAMNIT. Just as i was doing research i just saw that Lafrenière injured himself and will miss the game. Ah mannnn

Still many players that could be drafted in the first round will be playing. Hendrix Lapierre is a center projected around 10, Justin Barron a D projected around 11, Jeremie Poirier another D projected around 17, Lucas Cormier D - 30 and Mavrik Bourque a forward around 31. Also Ryan Francis who's been scoring quite a bit could maybe help his draft status with these tournaments.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just making a note of this now since it can get hard to track a prospect from game to game:

Bahl now has 20 points through 28 games this season in the OHL - all 20 of those points in the last 21 games. Pretty impressive for someone who isn't advertised as an offensive defenseman.

The Devils' scouts will have a good look at Marco Rossi (prospect eligible for 2020 draft), who is having a dominant season with the 67's.

• Like 3

I didn't know Canada was playing today. Went to the sports memorabilia store to buy a gift to my sister and the game was on. Right in time to watch the shootouts. 

We lost but Smith is the only one who scored in the SO for Canada. so thats that

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/world-juniors-tournament-primer/c-313073054

All the Devils prospects involved... 

Canada

Ty Smith (D)

Kevin Bahl (D)

Russia

Daniil Misyul (D)

Switzerland

Akira Schmid (G) 

Sweden

Nikola Pasic (LW/C)

Czech Republic

Patrik Elias (assistant coach)

When will Canada's defensive pairing become the devils nhl top pairing 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Ty and Bahl looked great today. It was a crazy game with way too many penalties. I think each team had 3 PP goals. Lafreniere looked awesome with 1 goal and 3 assists. I wasn't impressed at all by Spencer Knight. 

K’Andre Miller made the bonehead play of the day too.... a play I hope he makes continually in the NHL.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Been waiting for a real hitter since Stevens and White retired. Thought Volchenkov might be the guy, then Santini, and I totally expected Subban to be throwing some big ones, but alas nothing but disappointment.

hope this kid has a lot of those in his future for us...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

Not that you see a ton of these hits in the NHL anymore, but man - we don't have anyone like that. I really hope this guy turns into a D who can play shut down minutes, and just hit people in front of the net. We so miss that. 

As much fun as the fast paced and high skilled modern game is I really miss those types big hits. 

• Like 5