Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

Bahl had a nice assist in the Canada game this morning. 

So many damn soft penalties in this tournament so far. 

I also have no idea why we wasted so much damn time reviewing the Czech goal that ended up not counting because of obvious contact to Spencer Knights head. It was as clear as day interference. 

They reviewed it for far too long and call it no goal and then we waste even more time because the Czech head coach was challenging that call for who the hell knows what reason when it was already established there was interfence. So annoying.

Anyway, I hope the Czechs play Canada this hard tomorrow and pull off a win so USA can win the group. That OT goal by Caulfield was awesome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Bahl had a nice assist in the Canada game this morning. 

So many damn soft penalties in this tournament so far. 

I also have no idea why we wasted so much damn time reviewing the Czech goal that ended up not counting because of obvious contact to Spencer Knights head. It was as clear as day interference. 

They reviewed it for far too long and call it no goal and then we waste even more time because the Czech head coach was challenging that call for who the hell knows what reason when it was already established there was interfence. So annoying.

Anyway, I hope the Czechs play Canada this hard tomorrow and pull off a win so USA can win the group. That OT goal by Caulfield was awesome.

Also, for Elias. 

• Like 2

Paywall Athletic article on Bahl. Seems like his coaches really love this kid and interesting to know that he's been thrown out against the top players in the OHL since he was an OHL rookie. A few quotes for those without The Athletic. 

"He’s very, very mobile for a big guy. One of the keys to Kevin is moving his feet. If someone was to criticize his skating, it would be about moving his feet rather than speed or mobility. The biggest improvement in his game over the last few years that’s glaring for me is his gap control, or his ability to adjust his speed in the neutral zone. He’s able to match the speed of the opposing forward and then with his stick and his wingspan, he’s able top force attacking forwards into positions where they don’t want to be." from his 67's coach. 

From Bahl: "My whole career I’ve been playing against top guys, and I love to play against top guys. I want to know that I’ve shut down a guy when my team wins by a goal. I think they really like that and I take that to heart when I have to play against those guys. That’s my thing.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

USA doesn't have this as a good excuse because they still couldn't score but that penalty called against them that Finland scored on because of that Finland dive was a ridiculous joke. The officials are so soft in this tournament. That Canada hit which resulted in a 5 min major and a game misconduct was another joke since it was a perfectly clean hit. 

Hope Canada wins the whole thing now cause of Smith and Bahl. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

At this point (unless the Devils win the lottery again), the guy I'm hoping for is Stutzle. I caught one of the Germany games, and he looked great. Really high energy player and an excellent passer. He may not fill an organizational need, but I think he's an underrated talent in the 2020 class.

I could totally see him being a great Devil.

35 minutes ago, nessus said:

At this point (unless the Devils win the lottery again), the guy I'm hoping for is Stutzle. I caught one of the Germany games, and he looked great. Really high energy player and an excellent passer. He may not fill an organizational need, but I think he's an underrated talent in the 2020 class.

I could totally see him being a great Devil.

He’s looking great but devs need tall shooters and scorers much more. 

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah we plus already have so many undersized centers, we really need to start bulking up other positions and get more size

We have exactly one "undersized" center in Jack Hughes, and he might eventually grow into being the league average.  And there is now plenty of size in the organization on defense and probably more to come in trades and free agency. 

If I had to guess, the only player that they'll probably do their best to convince themselves to shy away from will be Drysdale. 

28 minutes ago, nessus said:

Holtz may not be tall by NHL player standards, but he would be an excellent fit.

If we lose some positions we may draft askarov if he will be available, but I’m not a fan of first round goalie high pick so yes I’m all in with Holtz.

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

We have exactly one "undersized" center in Jack Hughes, and he might eventually grow into being the league average.  And there is now plenty of size in the organization on defense and probably more to come in trades and free agency. 

If I had to guess, the only player that they'll probably do their best to convince themselves to shy away from will be Drysdale. 

Not sure what definition of undersized is here but they need more grit in their lineup and if you're gonna argue that's not true than have at it. They've been easy to play against for so many years now I lost count. Front to back lineup wise. There have been exceptions (player wise) over the years but in general they tend to be the bug and not the windshield.

14 hours ago, titans04 said:

Not sure what definition of undersized is here but they need more grit in their lineup and if you're gonna argue that's not true than have at it. They've been easy to play against for so many years now I lost count. Front to back lineup wise. There have been exceptions (player wise) over the years but in general they tend to be the bug and not the windshield.

We have enough forwards who can effectively play a physical game if necessary which is based on a somewhat arbitrary size I picked (above 6 feet and 190 lbs) and just generally not being a wuss in the mode of Alexander Semin.  But as you know, it's the same kind of thinking that led David Conte to draft Connor Chatham instead of Brayden Point.

At the moment though we have three defensemen who are below that arbitrary size threshold I came who will get pushed around in their own end but who until recently haven't been playing well enough to make up for it by just being really good and smart with the puck; whether that's for lack of ability, poor coaching or some combination of the two is another issue. 

Whether you agree with this assessment or not, the guy in charge very much appears to.  He drafted four defensemen last year who fit the mold you're looking for.  The return for the team's best player included a player like that.  And as I'm typing this, Sami Vatanen has not gotten an extension even though the team more than ever has the means to give him one right now if that's what it wanted.   

11 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I'll be keeping a close eye on Smith and Bahl today in their semi-final game against Finland. I expect a big game from these two. 

Definitely let us know what you think! It's always great to hear what people's impressions are since it's tough to get much direct exposure to our prospects.

• Like 1