Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Why are you saying this as if it's somehow negating titans04 argument? lol It's not

How so? Was Marty full of himself? Of course. But he could have dropped the Devils plenty of times. I also don't think there's any reason to believe he would be a good GM. I'm just saying he had the reputation of being above the team but could have left for bigger markets and never did. I'm not saying he doesn't have an ego. He clearly does

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Are you referring to Sakic or Roy here?

cause one would support what you're trying to say and the one would not lol

Well we already tried a former Devils great at HC...

personally I think Marty would probably do well at GM, but I’m not at the point of wanting Shero replaced just yet.

I also wonder if he’d get the nod over Fitz though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Why are you saying this as if it's somehow negating titans04 argument? lol It's not

Thanks because I didn't get it either.

At the end of the day I don't even care enough to be passionate about arguing anything around this team anymore. All the years of mediocrity (bad hockey) have deaden that for me. Even being older than probably everyone here I don't take solace in the cups anymore, it feels like a lifetime ago. I mean it's to the point that some nights I loathe Dano's sugarcoating things so much I listen to the away feeds. 

Regardless of all that I do hope the choices they make going forward turn the tide because the empathy is real and it sucks.

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Well we already tried a former Devils great at HC...

personally I think Marty would probably do well at GM, but I’m not at the point of wanting Shero replaced just yet.

I also wonder if he’d get the nod over Fitz though. 

Same here but the rope has to have an end one of these years without some significant steps forward, no?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Same here but the rope has to have an end one of these years without some significant steps forward, no?

For sure. I’d say he pretty much has to get his next coach right or that’s probably it for him in NJ. 

On 1/11/2020 at 3:42 PM, SterioDesign said:

You’re going to have to explain this to me then because I don’t see your point at all.  The very concept of self-sacrifice (asking less from the team so that they can afford more talent to win) is diametrically opposite time the narcissist that Titans04 is describing.  So I don’t get why you’re writing this with the derisive ‘lol’ attached when it appears you don’t understand the point being made.  

On 1/11/2020 at 3:42 PM, SterioDesign said:
Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

You’re going to have to explain this to me then because I don’t see your point at all.  The very concept of self-sacrifice (asking less from the team so that they can afford more talent to win) is diametrically opposite time the narcissist that Titans04 is describing.  So I don’t get why you’re writing this with the derisive ‘lol’ attached when it appears you don’t understand the point being made.  

Well im of course just speculating but my point is simply that Marty is smart and his #1 goal was winning.

Marty's situation in NJ was ideal for his success, so im pretty sure he knew that staying in that situation was worth a lot more than a few extra millions. I don't think money was ever his motivation.

He had everything going for him in NJ. He had a system almost built around him, he had an incredible D corp in front of him. He was established and could likely call some shots by then, his family was there, his legacy was there etc etc i'm not sure he would have risk losing that for a bit more money.

Look at other players who left NJ for more money... it didn't go too well for most. 

So bottom line... to say that Marty wasnt self-centered or wtv because he didn't go for the big money is not really proving anything. It only means that he valued success more than money. 

Ray only started drafting these Physical d men in last draft as if he realized we needed more grit on back end. Bahl & Okhotyuk are a couple years away. (not physically) Whomever is new coach has to abandon this man to man d-zone BS. 

7 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Ray only started drafting these Physical d men in last draft as if he realized we needed more grit on back end. Bahl & Okhotyuk are a couple years away. (not physically) Whomever is new coach has to abandon this man to man d-zone BS. 

To be fair, the team desperately needed skill when Shero took over.. which is often harder to find.

Now I think we've got a lot of individual skill but no grit, which is probably what Shero was trying to adjust.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Some of the defensemen on our current NHL roster seem like there a couple year away.