Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

Anyone see highlights of B-Devils down 3-0 against Utica, and scoring 5 unanswered goals.  I think they're 9-1 last 10 games. Boquist's goal sweet. (caught em in a line change)

• Like 4

Didn't see this posted, but Scott Wheeler of the Athletic has our prospect pool ranked at #17, but raves about the depth. If you add in the top level talent of Hughes who for all intensive purposes is a prospect  we'd be ranked higher for sure (Even Nico/Bratt are the same age or younger than a lot of other teams top prospects). https://theathletic.com/1560036/2020/01/27/wheelers-2020-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-no-17-new-jersey-devils/ Here is the intro: 

"If I’m being honest, the Devils were more than half a dozen spots lower before the Taylor Hall trade. And while they didn’t get an A-level prospect back in the deal, they added three decent young players to a pool that was already filled with them.

If this list was about the sheer number of prospects I like and/or considered for the ranking, the Devils might be No. 1, or close to it. As a reminder to the criteria above, I set my minimum number of players per team at 15 in order to ensure that even for teams that are particularly thin at the bottom of this list that our readers felt like they were getting equal value and detail out of their ranking."

Positives: I was initially dismayed by the #17 ranking, but am really encouraged by the depth this writer sees. Good Hockey teams aren't all top-level talent and hopefully we can really roll out a balanced lineup in 1-3 years (with Nico/Jack and 2020 draft pick as the top level talent). This is especially true at forward where he has a lot listed with NHL floors even if it is just bottom 6 potential. There are some moonshots too, but listed the lower ceiling guys below with a quote from the article. 

#3 Anderson: "Do I think Anderson’s going to be an impact guy offensively at the NHL level, the kind of player who can drive a second line or complement a first line? No, I don’t. But does he have the tools needed to project safely as a decent third-line winger? Yes, he does. 

#5 Tyce Thompson: "At the end of the day, only five under-21 college players have scored at a better rate than his 1.48 clip (at the authoring of this piece) in the last decade: Johnny Gaudreau (2.00), Kyle Connor (1.87), Jack Eichel (1.78), J.T. Compher (1.66) and Jaden Schwartz (1.57). He’s a legitimate prospect.

#6 McLeod: " I think he can still become a useful NHL player but he’s not going to be an impact offensive driver."

#7 Merkley: "there aren’t that many low-tempo, small, pass-first wingers in the NHL who don’t have major scoring touch but I think he’s strong enough on the puck to make it work."

#11 Schnarr: " He’s a very good passer for his size and does a wonderful job creating through small areas to draw attention to his size before hitting the trailer or finding the backdoor guy. I think there’s room for him to become a depth player at the NHL level and a dominant AHL forward."

#16 Bastian: "Bastian doesn’t have the skill to play high in an NHL lineup and for a long time I doubted whether he would make himself into an NHL option at all but he’s versatile enough and strong enough to probably play a fourth-line role at this point and his game in tight is really good."

Negatives: 

1. Really need most of our defensive prospects to pan out which is not an ideal situation to be in....From this list: #1 Smith, #2 Walsh (Scott is higher than most than I've seen on Walsh), #4 Bahl all need to become NHLers or else we'll need to find another way to field a top 6 with what we have in the NHL now....

2. Lack of top end talent, but as mentioned Hughes/Nico/2020 pick will hopefully make up for the lack of top end talent in the system since they're the same age as a lot of the prospects listed for other teams. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've been keeping an eye on Boqvist's production now that he's in Binghamtom. Definitely a slow start with 1 goal (no assists) through 7 games so far. I'll be surprised if he doesn't pick it up in a big way soon, but it's really not looking great so far.

1 hour ago, nessus said:

I've been keeping an eye on Boqvist's production now that he's in Binghamtom. Definitely a slow start with 1 goal (no assists) through 7 games so far. I'll be surprised if he doesn't pick it up in a big way soon, but it's really not looking great so far.

So basically camp doesn’t mean that much. Good news for Ty Smith...

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It would be really nice to have a guy like that on the roster. This team hasn't had much bite in years

Pretty much since Stevens and White. Volchenkov should have been that type of guy, but he was fairly disappointing. Santini could throw a hit, but I don’t think he put fear into anyone. Subban...has he even hit anyone since becoming a Devil? We did get to see him “fight” though...LOL

I'm excited about Bahl. These highlight reel hits seem to just keep coming. And we certainly could use a player that can rag doll people. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Pretty much since Stevens and White. Volchenkov should have been that type of guy, but he was fairly disappointing. Santini could throw a hit, but I don’t think he put fear into anyone. Subban...has he even hit anyone since becoming a Devil? We did get to see him “fight” though...LOL

I'm excited about Bahl. These highlight reel hits seem to just keep coming. And we certainly could use a player that can rag doll people. 

Subban had a real nice hit opening night but then something happened and the curse of the 2019-2020 season began. 

i could be wrong and sure hope to be but i think Bahl is just a disappointment waiting to happen for us.

Not only i'm not sure about his potential but we all know there will be unfair expectations put on him cause he was part of the Hall deal. I truly hope the first round pick we get from them this year is the real prize from that trade

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i could be wrong and sure hope to be but i think Bahl is just a disappointment waiting to happen for us.

Not only i'm not sure about his potential but we all know there will be unfair expectations put on him cause he was part of the Hall deal. I truly hope the first round pick we get from them this year is the real prize from that trade

I think that’s probably right. A few clips of a guy throwing hits and fighting doesn’t mean he’ll be a good player. And although we “need guys with grit”, when we have them, everyone hates them lol. 

The thing I like about Bahl is that he's physically big and also legitimately seems tough.  Huge shoes to fill, and probably unfair, but I think a lot of us are drawing Stevens-like comparisons, mostly because we just haven't had a player like him in a long time, and we miss it. 

With that said, the guy could easily turn out to be some kind of Volchenkov/Urbom/Jannsen/Farham hybrid type player.  A guy who has physical attributes but doesn't use his size effectively, and has basically zero upside in terms of skill, especially on the offensive side. 

• Like 1