Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The thing I like about Bahl is that he's physically big and also legitimately seems tough.  Huge shoes to fill, and probably unfair, but I think a lot of us are drawing Stevens-like comparisons, mostly because we just haven't had a player like him in a long time, and we miss it. 

With that said, the guy could easily turn out to be some kind of Volchenkov/Urbom/Jannsen/Farham hybrid type player.  A guy who has physical attributes but doesn't use his size effectively, and has basically zero upside in terms of skill, especially on the offensive side. 

I do think Bahl is a much better skater than the four guys you mentioned, his hands are something that has gotten better since his draft year, so those aspects don't worry as much.

The thing that's going to be a transition for Bahl is if his smarts and hockey sense can keep up when the pace of play quickens a bit at the NHL level. The skating and puck skills don't worry a ton and his size is obviously a huge advantage, but it's just going to be all about how well he can read and anticipate play at the pro level. My hope for him is he provides an impact on our blue line the way Brandon Carlo does for Boston, I think they're fairly similar players in style with Bahl being a bit bigger.

• Like 4

That entire Canada Junior team loves his shot. A big winger who can score goals is exactly the type of player the Devils have needed.

Also, a couple of clips showing some of his skill:

Really looking forward to seeing how his game translates to the next level. Looking very promising so far.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, nessus said:

That entire Canada Junior team loves his shot. A big winger who can score goals is exactly the type of player the Devils have needed.

Also, a couple of clips showing some of his skill:

Really looking forward to seeing how his game translates to the next level. Looking very promising so far.

The news caster in that first video is a cartoon character.

I'm excited to see how his shot develops as he gets stronger.  Feels nice getting arguably the best passer and the best shooter out of last year's draft.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

The news caster in that first video is a cartoon character.

I'm excited to see how his shot develops as he gets stronger.  Feels nice getting arguably the best passer and the best shooter out of last year's draft.

Better shooter than Caufield? 

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

I was going through this list to see which top D prospects are out there. Good to see that Smith jumped ahead of guys drafted before him in his draft class.

Interesting to see they think we got the better Foote, too...

The younger brother to Cal, Nolan Foote seems to have already surpassed his brother in potential. Foote still needs to work on his skating, but his shot is out of this world. It seems to be getting harder and faster. He’s great with the puck, and there’s really not much he can’t do with it. The Lightning love their goal-scorers to have a hard, heavy shot, and Foote has that all over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Interesting to see they think we got the better Foote, too...

The younger brother to Cal, Nolan Foote seems to have already surpassed his brother in potential. Foote still needs to work on his skating, but his shot is out of this world. It seems to be getting harder and faster. He’s great with the puck, and there’s really not much he can’t do with it. The Lightning love their goal-scorers to have a hard, heavy shot, and Foote has that all over.

best case scenario were getting a younger Palms... cause honestly Palms shot is his best asset... his passing/playmaking is really not great, even terrible at times

some compared Foote's game to James Neal. So same thing

Edited by SterioDesign

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

best case scenario were getting a younger Palms... cause honestly Palms shot is his best asset... his passing/playmaking is really not great, even terrible at times

some compared Foote's game to James Neal. So same thing

He might even bring a little more than Palms. Todd Cordell called him an “old school power forward” that plays a very physical game. Combine that with his shot, and it’s pretty exciting. 6”4 200 is a big boy.

He honestly sounds like everything I wish Zacha would be...

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He might even bring a little more than Palms. Todd Cordell called him an “old school power forward” that plays a very physical game. Combine that with his shot, and it’s pretty exciting. 6”4 200 is a big boy.

yeah if that kid can develop and that we can draft Lafreniere or Byfield. It could get really interesting for us. Our group would be so damn young so if they get good we'd be set for awhile

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah if that kid can develop and that we can draft Lafreniere or Byfield. It could get really interesting for us. Our group would be so damn young so if they get good we'd be set for awhile

I’m not even letting myself entertain the idea of getting lucky enough to land another #1 pick lol

Or even winning the lottery at all. I’m really just trying to study up on those 4-7 type guys. Should still be a pretty good player. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I saw something yesterday that compared Foote’s game to Jamie Benn’s. I’d be happy if he turned into Jamie Benn lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I saw something yesterday that compared Foote’s game to Jamie Benn’s. I’d be happy if he turned into Jamie Benn lol.

Yeah, I think he made that comparison himself actually. I’ve seen a lot of JVR, too, but what has me most excited is team Canada coach Dale Hunter compared his shot to Ovi...

“It’s right up there,” Hunter said of Foote’s shot next to Ovechkin. “Oh yeah, in the old days, [it’s like] Brett Hull … to shoot a one-timer like that, it’s got to be perfect timing and he’s been hitting it.

“I wouldn’t want to block it, put it that way. He’s got a rocket. It’s a special shot. When you can hit a corner like that, it’s special.”

• Like 1

Something we haven't seen in a while, NHL teams taking a flyer on current KHL players (when contracts are up)  Lou used to dabble from time to time.  I'm guessing very few translate to success (Pannarin, Dadanov, Gusev (to a lesser extent). I'm sure there's lots of players that would love a shot in NHL.  Do we still have a Russian scouts lobbying on their behalf?