Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

44 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You’re just so wrong lol. McLeod was drafted borderline top-10; turning into an absolute nothing means he’s absolutely a bust. He was a consensus top-20 pick in the NHL draft. We knew we missed out on a surefire guy but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t come without expectations. 

If people here are allowed to call Pavel Zacha the bigGeST bUsT eVEr!!2! while he’s having a productive season for the New Jersey Devils, it’s pretty ridiculous to say McLeod isn’t a bust because “we knew we missed out on Jost”. 

You're missing the point i'm trying to make.

I'm not saying he isnt a bust cause we missed out on jost. I said he's not really a bust cause he was never supposed to be much, there wasn't much expectations from what i can remember when we got him. Projected maybe to be a bottom 6 kind of guy which he probably will be but thats it

It's not like when we got smith where we knew there was players with real potential

Edited by SterioDesign

Watching the 67’s game and I’m hearing Mitchell Hoelscher‘s name A LOT. I see he has 32 goals and 69 points in 57 GP. Is he a total long shot to ever make the NHL? It feels like he’s kind of a forgotten prospect. I know this team is stacked, but he seems to be all over the place, and those are pretty good numbers. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Watching the 67’s game and I’m hearing Mitchell Hoelscher‘s name A LOT. I see he has 32 goals and 69 points in 57 GP. Is he a total long shot to ever make the NHL? It feels like he’s kind of a forgotten prospect. I know this team is stacked, but he seems to be all over the place, and those are pretty good numbers. 

He’s not a long shot, but I just don’t see a ton there that’s high-end. He’s a smart player with really good two-way acumen, but I don’t think he has the offensive tools to be a consistent point contributor. He’s a guy I could see making it in the future as a depth piece that can play on special teams, but the offensive numbers have been bolstered a bit this season from playing with Jack Quinn, who he’s been a great complement to.

EDIT: A think the phrase “jack of all trades, master of none” applies quite well to him. He does everything pretty good, but nothing great or spectacular. Swiss Army knife type player.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

He’s not a long shot, but I just don’t see a ton there that’s high-end. He’s a smart player with really good two-way acumen, but I don’t think he has the offensive tools to be a consistent point contributor. He’s a guy I could see making it in the future as a depth piece that can play on special teams, but the offensive numbers have been bolstered a bit this season from playing with Jack Quinn, who he’s been a great complement to.

EDIT: A think the phrase “jack of all trades, master of none” applies quite well to him. He does everything pretty good, but nothing great or spectacular. Swiss Army knife type player.

Do we really need another of these types. 

9 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Do we really need another of these types. 

We do have a lot of depth/top 9 guys in the system, which you hope comes in handy down the road when you need to fill the bottom 6 with cheaper talent. However, part of the thought process when drafting players that have a good all-around base is hoping you can develop one or two additional tools to their game to bring them to that next level, kind of what we’ve seen happen this year with Tyce Thompson at Providence.

Starting with a solid base and then trying to expand tools upon it is sometimes easier than picking up a one-dimensional player and trying to patch holes, that seems to be their thought process with some picks like Hoelscher.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Another goal for Kuokkanen. Wonder if we get a look at him before the end of the season? 

McIntyre with a 36-save shutout too.  Go figure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Another goal for Kuokkanen. Wonder if we get a look at him before the end of the season? 

Too bad we got hosed on that Vatanen trade, he’s doing so well for Carolina and all we got was this loser. 

• Like 1

Is it wrong to want Smith, Bahl and Hot Yuck to all be on the roster next year?

I mean how much worse could Smith-Bahl-Hot Yuck-Severson-Subban-Butcher be as your six defensemen than what we have now?

I'd even be flexible on Butcher, I'm not sure that Jacobs or Mermis isn't an improvement at this point. I'd be flexible on Subban too but I think there's 9 million reasons that probably won't happen. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean how much worse could Smith-Bahl-Hot Yuck-Severson-Subban-Butcher be as your six defensemen than what we have now?

I'd even be flexible on Butcher, I'm not sure that Jacobs or Mermis isn't an improvement at this point. I'd be flexible on Subban too but I think there's 9 million reasons that probably won't happen. 

If Smith especially can’t beat out guys like Dakota fvcking Mermis and Josh Jacobs we have a major problem on our hands... 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It is completely wrong. Their confidence will be shot immediately. 

49 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, we’re throwing Mac to the wolves, and he’s doing just fine. 

Mac has two seasons in ahl and season in ohl after draft. And one season of half ahl half nhl. Every young player had a problem with adaptation in NJD who didnt play full season in ahl exept Nico. I dont think that Bahl and Smith or Nikita would be much worser than Muller and co. More important, what will be better for their adequate development.

But AHL didnt really pump anyone like Mcleod or Seney or Bastian or The Mighty an Greatest Johnny Q so who cares. Lets give them some time in big club.

Edited by Guadana

2 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Mac has two seasons in ahl and season in ohl after draft. And one season of half ahl half nhl. Every young player had a problem with adaptation in NJD who didnt play full season in ahl exept Nico. I dont think that Bahl and Smith or Nikita would be much worser than Muller and co. More important, what will be better for their adequate development.

But AHL didnt really bust anyone like Mcleod or Seney or Bastian or The Mighty an Greatest Johnny Q so who cares. Lets give them some time in big club.

Bratt played pretty well his rookie season, even if he hit a wall in the second half. 

Smith turns 20 this month, and Bahl turns 20 in June. They’re not exactly babies. Okhotyuk is a little younger (doesn’t turn 20 until December). Ofc defenseman typically take longer to develop, but it would be extremely disappointing if at least Smith doesn’t make the opening game roster. 

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt played pretty well his rookie season, even if he hit a wall in the second half. 

Smith turns 20 this month, and Bahl turns 20 in June. They’re not exactly babies. Okhotyuk is a little younger (doesn’t turn 20 until December). Ofc defenseman typically take longer to develop, but it would be extremely disappointing if at least Smith doesn’t make the opening game roster. 

Bratt was raw. He was raw in this season too. I would be happy if some ottavain guy will play in 1st game of the next season or if it would be Smith, but i`m ok if they will play decent role in AHL. Dont see any problem in it.

Q Hughes start to play in NHL in 20 years and i think it`s real mark for Hughes jr when he would be ready for NHL in phisical aspects. And i think our young d-men isn`t as talanted as Hughes or Makar and another year of developmen doesnt hurt them.

3 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

It is completely wrong. Their confidence will be shot immediately. 

No offense, but what is it with some of the hardcore metrics crowd that they feel like they all need do is proclaim and that's that, and don't need to explain or expand upon their viewpoint?  They just make declarations like "It is completely wrong" and leave it at that. Tri used to do a lot of that, when he was more active here.  I don't really have anything against metrics even though I'm not hugely into them, but it's that "I have spoken" attitude from the metrics crowd that helps turn some fans off to metrics.

You may very well be correct, but WHY?  Have you watched these players much?  Is it obvious from their individual games that there's too many weaknesses in their games that none of them stand a chance to try to make a speedy entrance into the NHL?  Or that they're not quite mentally ready?  If you have more insight and knowledge into where these players are than others, feel free to share it. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is it obvious from their individual games that there's too many weaknesses in their games that none of them stand a chance to try to make a speedy entrance into the NHL?  Or that they're not quite mentally ready? 

Well said. I think that might be true of the guys on our NHL roster currently, is my point...

Smith I think is ready to jump into the NHL next season – I honestly thought he was ready this year, just had a rocky start in preseason but I think he would have stabilized.

Bahl I'm inclined to believe could use a little more seasoning in the AHL. Give him a little time to get used to a quicker pace and stronger competition; he may even be ready for a midseason call-up next year but I think he needs a little AHL time.

Okhotyuk I still think needs more time. His decisions aren't as sharp as Smith's or Bahl's so I think he would benefit from playing top minutes in the OHL next year and then could use a season or two in the AHL first. I love his mobility and physicality, but I think he needs a lot more time to marinate and work on his decision making.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Smith I think is ready to jump into the NHL next season – I honestly thought he was ready this year, just had a rocky start in preseason but I think he would have stabilized.

Ponderous decision given the state of our defense. he clearly would have been better than at least Mueller and Carrick.