Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

46 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

The educuation you receive from Harvard is so valuable it encourages players to stay in college the full 4 years at which point due to poorly constructed bylaws the player becomes a free agent and can sign with anyone they want. 

This will be 2 Harvard draft picks of ours in a row that dont sign here (assuming thats what happens), and there are 2 other Harvard picks in recent memory that not only did the same thing to other teams, but they signed with the #*$&#ing Rangers.

No more Harvard kids.

Gotcha, that's what I thought, just wasn't sure.  That sucks.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

This is just great to see, and also quite impressive considering his relatively slow and worrisome start. Ty was on an absolute tear for the second half of the season. Can't wait to see what he brings for training camp!

On 3/27/2020 at 2:42 PM, Toasterleavins said:

The educuation you receive from Harvard is so valuable it encourages players to stay in college the full 4 years at which point due to poorly constructed bylaws the player becomes a free agent and can sign with anyone they want. 

This will be 2 Harvard draft picks of ours in a row that dont sign here (assuming thats what happens), and there are 2 other Harvard picks in recent memory that not only did the same thing to other teams, but they signed with the #*$&#ing Rangers.

No more Harvard kids.

The rule providing for a certain amount of time to sign drafted North American players makes plenty of sense and there's nothing wrong with it.  They could maybe up the compensation somewhat, but the thing is there hasn't been a drafted NCAA player who went to free agency who became a really good player in recent memory.  Remember the hype around Jimmy Vesey?  If someone looks like they're going to be really good and says they won't sign with you, you can get a good return in a trade like Carolina did for Adam Fox.

I also don't get the hysteria over the possibility of Reilly Walsh not signing here.  He hasn't set the world on the fire up til now and never made the U20 team. And you can't even point to someone we could have drafted instead for the time being considering that there are only 8 players drafted after him who have played a game in the NHL. 

12 hours ago, nessus said:

This is just great to see, and also quite impressive considering his relatively slow and worrisome start. Ty was on an absolute tear for the second half of the season. Can't wait to see what he brings for training camp!

I'm still very hopeful with Smith, but we weren't really going to learn much from his body of work in the WHL this season...he's clearly too good for that league, and had outgrown it...but he wasn't quite ready for the NHL either.  Was in a tough spot. 

But yeah, hope he's ready to do enough to claim a spot out of camp this year for sure.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

The rule providing for a certain amount of time to sign drafted North American players makes plenty of sense and there's nothing wrong with it.  They could maybe up the compensation somewhat, but the thing is there hasn't been a drafted NCAA player who went to free agency who became a really good player in recent memory.  Remember the hype around Jimmy Vesey?  If someone looks like they're going to be really good and says they won't sign with you, you can get a good return in a trade like Carolina did for Adam Fox.

I also don't get the hysteria over the possibility of Reilly Walsh not signing here.  He hasn't set the world on the fire up til now and never made the U20 team. And you can't even point to someone we could have drafted instead for the time being considering that there are only 8 players drafted after him who have played a game in the NHL. 

It's not hysteria. It's draft preference. This is a red herring. 

Kevin Hayes is a very good player, and Adam Fox has had pretty insane numbers for a rookie. This would be bad enough if these players just had a tendency to not sign with us after drafting them but they keep going to the Rangers. 

How does it make plenty of sense? Please explain.

To do what 3rd year college players do prospects in other junior leagues would have to sit out an entire season of development... none are willing to do that for good reason.

If you are ok with wasting picks on players who are never going to sign here thats fine, but I am not. Especially when this scenario favors certain markets who happen to be our rivals.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm still very hopeful with Smith, but we weren't really going to learn much from his body of work in the WHL this season...he's clearly too good for that league, and had outgrown it...but he wasn't quite ready for the NHL either.  Was in a tough spot. 

But yeah, hope he's ready to do enough to claim a spot out of camp this year for sure.  

He'll be on the squad 100%

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

He'll be on the squad 100%

On Twitter they're saying he's another Makar or Byrum. People outside our org. think very highly of him. Let's not let his mediocre camp last year forge our opinion of him from here on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

It's not hysteria. It's draft preference. This is a red herring. 

Kevin Hayes is a very good player, and Adam Fox has had pretty insane numbers for a rookie. This would be bad enough if these players just had a tendency to not sign with us after drafting them but they keep going to the Rangers. 

How does it make plenty of sense? Please explain.

To do what 3rd year college players do prospects in other junior leagues would have to sit out an entire season of development... none are willing to do that for good reason.

If you are ok with wasting picks on players who are never going to sign here thats fine, but I am not. Especially when this scenario favors certain markets who happen to be our rivals.

It makes sense because it's fair to the drafted player who has foregone several years of getting paid and potentially burning years on his ELC.  Of course there would not necessarily be anything wrong with doing it the other way, where the team keeps the drafted player's rights indefinitely and allowing the team to get better compensation in a trade instead of pursuant to a set formula.

Otherwise, you're right that I forgot about Kevin Hayes.  I'm not wrong however in that if he's the best North American drafted player to have ever gone to free agency, it's not a system that desperately needs changing, although again if they decide to do so, the Devils will be a beneficiary and the Rangers would be a net loser, so cool.  However, it won't be the difference between anyone becoming a significantly better team.

If Devils are "wasting" picks under the current system, that's the Devils fault.  The front office knows the rules and if they draft someone good enough who doesn't want to play for them, they can work out a trade and a get a good return like Carolina did for Adam Fox, or how Calgary included Adam Fox to get the package they wanted for Dougie Hamilton.

Ultimately, this reminds me of all the belly aching over Stephen Gionta.  Any other player you might reasonably come up with to put in his spot was not going to win the Devils a single additional game. 

Edited by Daniel

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's encouraging is that he didn't regress and more thoroughly dominated the league.  The opposite is what happened to highly drafted busts like Griffin Reinhart and Ryan Murphy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Daniel said:

It makes sense because it's fair to the drafted player who has foregone several years of getting paid and potentially burning years on his ELC.  Of course there would not necessarily be anything wrong with doing it the other way, where the team keeps the drafted player's rights indefinitely and allowing the team to get better compensation in a trade instead of pursuant to a set formula.

Otherwise, you're right that I forgot about Kevin Hayes.  I'm not wrong however in that if he's the best North American drafted player to have ever gone to free agency, it's not a system that desperately needs changing, although again if they decide to do so, the Devils will be a beneficiary and the Rangers would be a net loser, so cool.  However, it won't be the difference between anyone becoming a significantly better team.

If Devils are "wasting" picks under the current system, that's the Devils fault.  The front office knows the rules and if they draft someone good enough who doesn't want to play for them, they can work out a trade and a get a good return like Carolina did for Adam Fox, or how Calgary included Adam Fox to get the package they wanted for Dougie Hamilton.

Ultimately, this reminds me of all the belly aching over Stephen Gionta.  Any other player you might reasonably come up with to put in his spot was not going to win the Devils a single additional game. 

I thought it was smart of Waddell to get Fox, probably knowing full well he was going to sign in Carolina either. But the Rangers really wanted him (the feeling was mutual) and Rag$ didn't to wait another year of him wallowing in college. But Fox is turning out better than I expected. Some folks folks around the league Smith is going to be pretty damn good pro when he finally gets here.

Potentially great news for the Devs regarding this years draft:

https://www.tsn.ca/bill-daly-june-nhl-draft-would-likely-use-pts-1.1469120

Looks like if the NHL has the draft in June like they are considering they will be going by points % which leaves us with our own pick #6, Arizona's pick unless they win the lottery and move top 3 at #10, and Vancouvers pick at #17 as they are in a playoff position based on pts %.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

Looks like if the NHL has the draft in June like they are considering they will be going by points % which leaves us with our own pick #6, Arizona's pick unless they win the lottery and move top 3 at #10, and Vancouvers pick at #17 as they are in a playoff position based on pts %.

Yeah I don't know if that would definitely allow the Devils to take Vancouver's pick.  Sounds like the order would be based on point percentage, and not necessarily whether or not the condition of Vancouver making the playoffs was met.

12 hours ago, Crisis said:

Yeah I don't know if that would definitely allow the Devils to take Vancouver's pick.  Sounds like the order would be based on point percentage, and not necessarily whether or not the condition of Vancouver making the playoffs was met.

I guess that would be Bettman' call? I'm sure Vancouver would prefer for this 1st rounder happen next year (they're banking on being better, climb far higher in the standings in the 20's) Plus hoping Yotes at least get into the playoffs so we have shot at their 3rd rounder from Hall trade.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:09 PM, Toasterleavins said:

So to confirm...............Arizona is at #10 right now................they ONLY can be either Top 3 OR 10.......?   Is that correct?

So they "win" the lottery by finishing top 3  but they cannot finish anywhere from 4-9.......??

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

So to confirm...............Arizona is at #10 right now................they ONLY can be either Top 3 OR 10.......?   Is that correct?

So they "win" the lottery by finishing top 3  but they cannot finish anywhere from 4-9.......??

Thank you!

That's right.  And if they are top 3, the Devils don't get the pick this year.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 11:19 AM, vadvlfan said:

I guess that would be Bettman' call? I'm sure Vancouver would prefer for this 1st rounder happen next year (they're banking on being better, climb far higher in the standings in the 20's) Plus hoping Yotes at least get into the playoffs so we have shot at their 3rd rounder from Hall trade.

There’s a line of thought that at this point Vancouver would rather get it over with and give up this year’s pick so long as it’s in the mid teens.  

I think we get Arizona’s third rounder next year regardless.  If he signs with them it becomes a second which I wouldn’t really count on.

Also talk that if they do a lottery, it will go back to the old system of only one winner who can advance four spots.  If that’s the case, Arizona’s first rounder should be ours no matter what since it’s top three, not lottery protected.

So... i THINK if they use points % to establish everyone positions and if they are in the playoffs or not... then rank all non-playoffs team based on their points % then rank playoffs teams.... We'd get 6,10 and 17. BUT if they just use points % to rank all the teams in the league ignoring if they were in the playoff or not... vancouver is tied with Nashville and Florida with .565. So not sure what the tiebreaker would be in this case... then we could either get 15,16 or 17... 

i guess the good thing is... with points % Vancouver is not even a wildcard team. They are top 3 in their division

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Yes, that part I knew.  

So Arizona could also fall to like 15 or 16?   And the Devs get that?

Theoretically the lowest that pick could be is 13, and that's only if 3 teams behind them all won lottery picks. The chances of that are very very low

On 4/28/2020 at 2:29 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

Theoretically the lowest that pick could be is 13, and that's only if 3 teams behind them all won lottery picks. The chances of that are very very low

Thanks DD