Prospects Thread - 2019-2020 Season

nessus

19 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

I am asking because I am ignorant as to the reasons, but why not bring up Smith now?  It seemed like nerves were a major issue for him in camp, right?  So let him have the remainder of the season to get up to speed in the NHL and work thru his nerves.  What’s he gonna do, cost us a game?  Great!  Anything that gives him time in the show AND pushes the Devils toward a higher draft pick sounds like a win/win to me.  If we were on the bubble of a playoff spot I would get leaving him, but the only thing this team is competing for is draft ranking.  So what am I missing?

You can’t bring a player up from the CHL unless he was 20 years old by 12/31 (he wasn’t) or he’s played 4 seasons in juniors (he hasn’t). 

As such, Ty Smith cannot play in the NHL this season. 

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

You can’t bring a player up from the CHL unless he was 20 years old by 12/31 (he wasn’t) or he’s played 4 seasons in juniors (he hasn’t). 

As such, Ty Smith cannot play in the NHL this season. 

Dang it..... wait, can we get him a fake ID?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

I am asking because I am ignorant as to the reasons, but why not bring up Smith now?  It seemed like nerves were a major issue for him in camp, right?  So let him have the remainder of the season to get up to speed in the NHL and work thru his nerves.  What’s he gonna do, cost us a game?  Great!  Anything that gives him time in the show AND pushes the Devils toward a higher draft pick sounds like a win/win to me.  If we were on the bubble of a playoff spot I would get leaving him, but the only thing this team is competing for is draft ranking.  So what am I missing?

Can't he learn the pro game in Bingo? He's eligible next year I believe. Let him earn a spot like everyone else. If he makes big club, great, if he falls short, farm team is not the worst thing

32 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Can't he learn the pro game in Bingo? He's eligible next year I believe. Let him earn a spot like everyone else. If he makes big club, great, if he falls short, farm team is not the worst thing

He has to be 20 at the start of the season before he’s eligible to play in the AHL. He’ll be 20 this month, so he’ll be AHL eligible for the 2020-21 season. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if Fitz is entertaining any of the college players available out there? With all the prospects we have out there, NCAA & Jrs' coming aboard. Only (D) Tennyson is signed through next year.(besides Sissons,jacobs, Groleau,  Colton White)  Should we assume making room for Okhotyuk, Bahl, Smitty? Hellickson,? Walsh, & no need bring anyone else on?  Not counting Claesson & Mermis (who are not signed for next year.

52 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wonder what the chances are he actually becomes a Devil at this point. With all the d prospects in the system now it’s not like when Butcher chose NJ because of guaranteed playing time. 

.. yeahhhh he gone.

• Like 1

To be fair, if I was going to Harvard, even if I was playing hockey, I’d want that degree too. I can’t imagine going to Harvard for 3 years and then saying , nah, I’m cool. 

Especially where you know you can stay another year and still go to the pros...assuming you don’t get hurt. But if you do get hurt, might be nice to have a Harvard degree to fall back on. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

To be fair, if I was going to Harvard, even if I was playing hockey, I’d want that degree too. I can’t imagine going to Harvard for 3 years and then saying , nah, I’m cool. 

Especially where you know you can stay another year and still go to the pros...assuming you don’t get hurt. But if you do get hurt, might be nice to have a Harvard degree to fall back on. 

He could have signed in NJ and still finished his degree (online). 

• Like 1

Remember what Shero said to him...

Reilly Walsh started laughing when New Jersey Devils general manager Ray Shero told him immediately after he drafted him that his upcoming college career at Harvard was going to be the “best three years” of his life.

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Reilly Walsh started laughing when New Jersey Devils general manager Ray Shero told him immediately after he drafted him that his upcoming college career at Harvard was going to be the “best three years” of his life.

I'm guessing they're not so high on him.  Otherwise he would've been signed. Probably not high on Hellickson either? (he's a Jr. too?)

23 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Was he here at Prospect camps?

I was told I was over reacting when I was not happy the Devils took Walsh because I thought our chances of signing him were low.

Starting to look like some concern was valid. Watch he will sign with the Rangers like Fox.

Also, if he does not sign with the Devils we better not draft any more kids from Harvard. 

17 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm jumping into this late, but what's the problem with signing guys from Harvard.... just the fact that most of them are more academically-inclined and they may delay their own entrance into the league because they want to get their degrees?

The educuation you receive from Harvard is so valuable it encourages players to stay in college the full 4 years at which point due to poorly constructed bylaws the player becomes a free agent and can sign with anyone they want. 

This will be 2 Harvard draft picks of ours in a row that dont sign here (assuming thats what happens), and there are 2 other Harvard picks in recent memory that not only did the same thing to other teams, but they signed with the #*$&#ing Rangers.

No more Harvard kids.

• Like 2