GDT: 10/30 Devs vs Bolts 7PM, MSG+, Devils Radio Network

RunninWithTheDevil

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Are you suggesting that the devils are going to be a bubble team and end up on the outside looking in?

Because that kind of sounds like a worst-case scenario for rebuilding team.

As if all these high picks and building a culture of losing have really helped us.

It seems like there's a new way to lose each game, which is getting so frustrating. I don't even know what to blame after this one.

The goaltending has been awful this season. The defense has so many weak points, and Subban has not been able to help very much. I wonder if it's going to come to a point where Shero is going to throw in the towel and go into a miniature retool again. I honestly wouldn't be too upset about it, because it is becoming clear that there is no hope for a goaltending solution in the system. And I don't really think there's a chance to win consistently if we're going with Schneider and Blackwood at this point.

As much as I want Blackwood to succeed, he has been inconsistent throughout his career. Just because he has had some really good NHL games, I don't have faith in that changing. The Blue Jackets have a bunch of promising goaltending prospects in their system that may be of interest to Shero. Maybe he can pull off a trade and get this team on the right track sooner than later. 

If Shero is forced to trade Hall, it wouldn't be the worst thing to build around a core of Hischier, Hughes, Bratt, Zacha, Coleman, Gusev (assuming he figures it out here), Boqvist, Smith, Butcher, and whichever of the newly drafted defensemen stand out. Then you can add in whoever Shero gets for Hall, and that's a pretty solid group. Better than losing him for nothing, and at this point, I'm definitely betting against the Devils making the playoffs this season. 

• Like 1

Man I feel so old reading through these comments. I understand we're passionate fans but geez take a deep breath.

I had to listen to the radio broadcast last night and Chico was staunchly defending Schnieder even after the game... sounds like it was normal Chico homerism by the looks of it here :) At this point I think we just need to ride with Blackwood, even if it gets ugly at least there is a chance of him figuring it out and having a player in him for he future.

Halls comments are rough but I understand where he's coming from, it;s not like the players aren't giving effort, just some unfortunate breaks and poor goaltending. I still think they'll figure it out, it's a long season to go.

LGD

Now that I've had a night to sleep on this one:

The team does have talent and will score some goals...in spite of the constant wide-toed-boot-to-the-balls losses through this season's first 10 games, they really aren't that far away.  Zacha really seems to be putting it all together...dating back to last season, he's put up 4 goals and 10 assists in his last 18 GP...go back a little further, and it's 26 points in his last 39 NHL games.  We can all definitely live with that kind of production from him...good for him. 

In some ways I don't mind that Hynes is practicing occasional tough love with guys like Bratt, Gusev and Zacha, but it would be nice if he was ever consistent about it.  It is feeling more and more like he's simply not the guy to take the Devils to the next level though. 

For all of those occasional speed rushes that so far haven't amounted to much, I can't pretend that I'm the slightest bit impressed with PK's game.  It's everything from the little things (not holding in pucks that clearly shouldn't be getting by him) to the bigger things (noticeably horrible decisions, etc).  I really hate making snap judgments based on 10 games (though I'm prone to it in brutal moments), but I think Nashville knew that PK's best days were either already behind him, or would be very soon.  And now it's the Devils stuck paying him a hell of a lot for what he was, as opposed to what he is.  I don't have anything against him as a person...as far as his social presence goes, constantly putting himself out there...whatever...sure, I guess his act will wear thin quickly with some if he's unproductive, but I'm indifferent to his off-ice persona.  I just really hope the PK that I've seen so far isn't going to be the norm, because he's mostly been frustrating as hell to watch to date...for whatever it's worth, at least he seems genuinely willing to hold himself accountable, but I think most players already do that, even if they're not constantly expressing it through the media.

Cory...I just...can't anymore.  He's truly become the Devils' Sad Sack.  I just can't be patient with him anymore.  I can't wait until February or March of 2020 for him to get going, and then think "Well if he can just build off that and start off strong next season..."  I won't minimize his earlier body of work here...I still remember when he had nothing in front of him but was still finding a way to produce...his first three seasons here were really quite good.  He's put up an .885 save% in his last 43 NHL regular season games...yes, he had that groin issue that required surgery and he did have that good stretch to close out last season, but it just seems like he's never going to put together a consistent season here now that he's approaching his mid-30s.  I'm sure he's a good guy, but I can't keep watching postgame conferences with him saying that he knows he needs to be better.  He's just killing his team too often. 

Re:  Hall, I don't think bitching about the fans automatically makes him a cancer, but no one wants to hear that sh!t right now.  Sorry if you're offended Taylor, but try looking at it from our point of view..."we are the ones" who've paid a hell of a lot of money to come see a team that maybe does need time to jell, but was never expected to lose this many games is such mind-blowing fashion.  We've basically seen a near-season's worth of "WTF how WHY?!" losses in ONE MONTH.  We knew this was a rebuild and for the most part, we've been relatively patient while watching lot of bad hockey and brutal losses in recent years.  It's still very early and there is definitely time to save this season, but at the same time, this year was never projected to be the trainwreck that it's been so far...we weren't so delusional to think the Devils were hoisting a Cup, but we definitely had reason to hope for better. 

Yes, fans are frustrated.  Yes, the frustration has built up enough that they're daring to boo even if it's not after the game has already ended, when you only have to hear it for a little while before heading to the lockerroom.  If you're trying to confirm that those among the fans who think the Devils are Charmin soft are justified in thinking that, well, you're doing a fine job Taylor.  Trust me, stop putting the fans through the ringer again and again, and the boos will die down in record time.  I promise.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

Man I feel so old reading through these comments. I understand we're passionate fans but geez take a deep breath.

I had to listen to the radio broadcast last night and Chico was staunchly defending Schnieder even after the game... sounds like it was normal Chico homerism by the looks of it here :) At this point I think we just need to ride with Blackwood, even if it gets ugly at least there is a chance of him figuring it out and having a player in him for he future.

Halls comments are rough but I understand where he's coming from, it;s not like the players aren't giving effort, just some unfortunate breaks and poor goaltending. I still think they'll figure it out, it's a long season to go.

LGD

I agree it's a long season and the optimist in me thinks there's still a chance and time for them to turn this around - hell, we're only 12% of the way through the season, but as the season progresses and we as fans have to sit through each game and watch them go through the ups and downs, the players can't complain if we boo.  Effort or not, we're paying money to see a competent product on the ice, and so far it hasn't looked like that.  If they want us to keep coming, either play better, or expect to be booed.  It's better than just simply not showing up, which is the alternative, and a very real possibility.  

• Like 1

Even after sleeping on it, last night just feels like the biggest gut punch I've ever taken as a fan. Just how does this team keep doing this to us? What did we do to deserve THIS?

I legitimately feel like I'm in a funk right now because of this team, they better fvcking win on Friday.

This team is going to put me in therapy lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

My biggest issue with Hall's comments is that he wasn't even asked a question about the fans booing. He willingly offered that one up all on his own. 

• Like 1

Night to sleep on this one, and here's where I am at. 

Largely, they played a good game last night and- the many losses at home where they held the lead do leave me hopeful- that they aren't his bad. I do give Hynes credit for getting Bratt going, Zacha going, Hughes going, hopefully it's sustainable. They have looked better-ish, and I know they'll say "well now they can actually have games to implement changes" but that sounds like an excuse. I guess we'll see. 

Hall just can't say that about the fans, he just can't. Ray needs to have a conversation with him this morning, and he needs to apologize first thing post-practice today. That should be all over their social media, and reporting today. Hall needs to - or else he's going to get booed more than he already will tomorrow. I know Hall has assists this season, but he'll get paid for goals. 2 in 10 games ain't it.

With Cory - what can you do? Well, for one thing, business is business - and we've reached the end of the line with him in this current form. I feel like we're watching Chuck Knoblauch. I think the only thing you can do is waive him and put him in the minors. He needs to just go down and play, every game for a month and see where he's at. No 2/3 games and he does OK, and he pops back up here - no. He needs to go down for a Month, stay there and see what he can accomplish. Blackwood is inconsistent, but he's shown more than Cory - and give him the keys to the net, and let's see if he can string together a starting job. Rotate Cormier and Senn up here as back ups, or go trade for a goalie. 

Edited by HellOnICE

3 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Night to sleep on this one, and here's where I am at. 

Largely, they played a good game last night and- the many losses at home where they held the lead do leave me hopeful- that they aren't his bad. I do give Hynes credit for getting Bratt going, Zacha going, Hughes going, hopefully it's sustainable. They have looked better-ish, and I know they'll say "well now they can actually have games to implement changes" but that sounds like an excuse. I guess we'll see. 

Hall just can't say that about the fans, he just can't. Ray needs to have a conversation with him this morning, and he needs to apologize first thing post-practice today. That should be all over their social media, and reporting today. Hall needs to - or else he's going to get booed more than he already will tomorrow. I know Hall has assists this season, but he'll get paid for goals. 2 in 10 games ain't it.

With Cory - what can you do? Well, for one thing, business is business - and we've reached the end of the line with him in this current form. I feel like we're watching Chuck Knoblauch. I think the only thing you can do is waive him and put him in the minors. He needs to just go down and play, every game for a month and see where he's at. No 2/3 games and he does OK, and he pops back up here - no. He needs to go down for a Month, stay there and see what he can accomplish. Blackwood is inconsistent, but he's shown more than Cory - and give him the keys to the net, and let's see if he can string together a starting job. Rotate Cormier and Senn up here as back ups, or go trade for a goalie. 

I don't think there's any chance whatsoever of Hall apologizing for his comments.  If anything, I'd respect him more for doubling down and insisting that we not boo and have their back at all times, regardless of play.

Also, I don't think you can send Cory down to the AHL, right?  Without a two way contract, he's stuck up here - I think the only reason he was there last year was because he was hurt and we were able to ship him there as a conditioning stint before he was eventually brought back up, right?  I never know these things, so someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. 

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't think there's any chance whatsoever of Hall apologizing for his comments.  If anything, I'd respect him more for doubling down and insisting that we not boo and have their back at all times, regardless of play.

Also, I don't think you can send Cory down to the AHL, right?  Without a two way contract, he's stuck up here - I think the only reason he was there last year was because he was hurt and we were able to ship him there as a conditioning stint before he was eventually brought back up, right?  I never know these things, so someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. 

If he doubles down---oh boyyyyyyyyyyy

You can send him to the minors, you'll just have to pay him. You can send anyone to the minors, just have to go through waivers.

Edited by HellOnICE

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As if all these high picks and building a culture of losing have really helped us.

Fair - and I agree that teaching our kids how to win is important.

That's what this season was SUPPOSED to be - I expected us to be fighting for a Wildcard spot all season.

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cory...I just...can't anymore.  He's truly become the Devils' Sad Sack.  I just can't be patient with him anymore.  I can't wait until February or March of 2020 for him to get going, and then think "Well if he can just build off that and start off strong next season..."  I won't minimize his earlier body of work here...I still remember when he had nothing in front of him but was still finding a way to produce...his first three seasons here were really quite good.  He's put up an .885 save% in his last 43 NHL regular season games...yes, he had that groin issue that required surgery and he did have that good stretch to close out last season, but it just seems like he's never going to put together a consistent season here now that he's approaching his mid-30s.  I'm sure he's a good guy, but I can't keep watching postgame conferences with him saying that he knows he needs to be better.  He's just killing his team too often. 

Great post all around - going to grab this snippet to respond to:

I agree that we have to at least acknowledge that Cory was a brick wall behind some terrible teams for a couple years.  In fact, he was probably single handedly keeping us out of a lotto spot with his play early on.  I hesitate to even mention him here because I don't want this to devolve into another bashing thread but that Horvat-for-Cory trade is looking like another disaster for Lou with all things considered.  Horvat would be a fan-favorite here.. without a doubt.

I digress - I don't know if Cory is physically done but mentally this guy is no longer an NHL player.  He's about as mentally soft as I've ever seen - you just know that going into a game he'll find a way to lose.  Five shots last night in the 3rd period - FIVE.  And he allows three goals.  

If we stick with him through the rest of the season, I fully expect him to look average to above-average in February-March when the games do not matter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

If he doubles down---oh boyyyyyyyyyyy

You can send him to the minors, you'll just have to pay him. You can send anyone to the minors, just have to go through waivers.

you can send anyone to the minors that doesn't have a NMC. Cory has NTC, but not no-move. i think he's got another month before they go that route though.

cory has been done for a while. last year's slight dead cat bounce gave a little hope but he has no reaction speed anymore. you've got goals going high on him all the time and he just can't get to them. he's down in butterfly way too early and he just gets destroyed top shelf.

this morning - its the hall comments that stick out the worst from last night. i'm almost numb to the blown leads. but jesus taylor - just say that its just as frustrating and you know that the fans were really pumped for the season just as all you guys were and its started out the worst possible way. i don't want to knee jerk it, but those comments, as far as i'm concerned, ended taylor hall's time in NJ. whether its in a month, or at the deadline, he's a dead man walking for this team.

33 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Even after sleeping on it, last night just feels like the biggest gut punch I've ever taken as a fan. Just how does this team keep doing this to us? What did we do to deserve THIS?

I legitimately feel like I'm in a funk right now because of this team, they better fvcking win on Friday.

This team is going to put me in therapy lol

Maybe we can get a group-rate discount if a bunch of us all go to a group session :lol: 

19 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Cory is not an NHL goalie anymore. Hasn't really been one in a couple of years. Why can't management see what is so obvious? 

An important question in my mind - why does Shero let Hughes live with Cory, of all people?  

Why stick your budding NHL star rookie with a washed up player?  Like.. fvcks sake it's just going to be awkward af now if they do end up waiving or trading him or something.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Great post all around - going to grab this snippet to respond to:

I agree that we have to at least acknowledge that Cory was a brick wall behind some terrible teams for a couple years.  In fact, he was probably single handedly keeping us out of a lotto spot with his play early on.  I hesitate to even mention him here because I don't want this to devolve into another bashing thread but that Horvat-for-Cory trade is looking like another disaster for Lou with all things considered.  Horvat would be a fan-favorite here.. without a doubt.

I digress - I don't know if Cory is physically done but mentally this guy is no longer an NHL player.  He's about as mentally soft as I've ever seen - you just know that going into a game he'll find a way to lose.  Five shots last night in the 3rd period - FIVE.  And he allows three goals.  

If we stick with him through the rest of the season, I fully expect him to look average to above-average in February-March when the games do not matter.

if the devils kept that pick, they were not picking horvat. they were most likely going to lazar or nachuskin if i remember the chatter at the time.

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

You wouldn't be hurting the people who made the movie though, you would be hurting the person making minimum wage who now has to clean it up so yeah that's a pretty sh*tty(lol) analogy. 

I personally don't boo the team, and didn't do it last night.  However, they ABSOLUTELY deserved to be boo'd last night, after the cumulative blown leads and BS play that the fans have witnessed at home this season.  It's ridiculous.  Score 5 and are up by 2 with 12 minutes left in the game and need a goal with 7 seconds left in regulation just to salvage a point.  There is no excuse for it, regardless of who the opponent is.  I try to stay optimistic, especially early in the season, but between Cory whiffing on glove saves that my 8 year old son could make and Hall making blind passes at the offensive blueline that results in a turnover, odd man rush, and a goal against which would get a pee wee benched, its impossible to think that this season isn't an utter disaster at his point.  The fact is that Hall, PK, Cory, and the other top players on this team are generally underachieving and this team is not good enough to overcome it.  

I'm just frustrated and have had enough of watching the same thing happen over and over again.  Something needs to change.   

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

And I just got suspended from HF lol some guy called me a fair weather fan because I want to sell some of my tickets.... That I've had for over 2 decades..... Because being a "real fan" means you must come back and eat garbage every single game, especially when one of the "leaders" on this team is talking about the fans booing this trash team instead of looking into the mirror. People are booing because this trash team has 2 wins and can't hold a lead if their lives depended on it. We are supposed to sit there like good little fans and go RAH RAH RAH IT'S OK TAYLOR AT LEAST YOU TRIED REAL HARD BUDDY. fvck outta here. 

I'm only selling if I can get my money back with which this team won't be many anyway lmfao

I'm not unrealistic. I don't expect to make the playoffs every year but this is going to be the 7th season in the past 8 years of no playoffs with the one year being us barely making it and only winning 1 game. That's almost a decade! 

But sure I'm the fair weather fan lols I'm still renewing but that's because I'm a sucker for supporting this team instead of going to the stubhub plan like the majority of the damn building.

And if that same douche bag poster from HF posts here and because HF kept deleting my posts, go fvck yourself. 

lol that board is weird.  They have an entire on-going thread dedicated to them literally whining about every single price and decision made by the Devils ticket office but you mention you want to get back some of your hard earned money to not see a team that insults it's fans and suddenly you are Judas lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

you can send anyone to the minors that doesn't have a NMC. Cory has NTC, but not no-move. i think he's got another month before they go that route though.

cory has been done for a while. last year's slight dead cat bounce gave a little hope but he has no reaction speed anymore. you've got goals going high on him all the time and he just can't get to them. he's down in butterfly way too early and he just gets destroyed top shelf.

this morning - its the hall comments that stick out the worst from last night. i'm almost numb to the blown leads. but jesus taylor - just say that its just as frustrating and you know that the fans were really pumped for the season just as all you guys were and its started out the worst possible way. i don't want to knee jerk it, but those comments, as far as i'm concerned, ended taylor hall's time in NJ. whether its in a month, or at the deadline, he's a dead man walking for this team.

I don't disagree on the Hall point - I wonder if we'd get more now or more in February. We've been terrible with him, we can be terrible without him. 

24 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

To the bolded: Hoooooooooooh boy, if the first words out of his mouth aren't an apology to the fans he's going to get booed out of the building on Friday.  If he doubles down it's going to get very uncomfortable around here.

To your second point - I could be wrong, but I think a one-way contract simply means he'll have to completely clear waives on his way down to the AHL.  And, my God if someone wants to claim him by all means go ahead.

9 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

if the devils kept that pick, they were not picking horvat. they were most likely going to lazar or nachuskin if i remember the chatter at the time.

Oof in that case.. yikes.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I heard the devils are going trick or treating tonight.  Get this, they’re going as hockey players.  Is that the craziest sh!t you’ve ever heard or what?  Who the fvck in anyone’s crazy mind would believe they’re hockey players?  Hope they all get candy corn and a stick of gum, ya know, all the sh!t that no trick or treater ever wants.