GDT: 10/30 Devs vs Bolts 7PM, MSG+, Devils Radio Network

RunninWithTheDevil

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

To the bolded: Hoooooooooooh boy, if the first words out of his mouth aren't an apology to the fans he's going to get booed out of the building on Friday.  If he doubles down it's going to get very uncomfortable around here.

To your second point - I could be wrong, but I think a one-way contract simply means he'll have to completely clear waives on his way down to the AHL.  And, my God if someone wants to claim him by all means go ahead.

Oof in that case.. yikes.

this is incorrect and mistake often made. one-way vs two-way simply has to do with how you're paid. if it's a one way contract, you get your NHL salary whether you are in the NHL or AHL. A two-way has a pay for NHL and a pay for AHL (much lower).

waivers has to do with age and service time.

1 minute ago, ajsgolf said:

I heard the devils are going trick or treating tonight.  Get this, they’re going as hockey players.  Is that the craziest sh!t you’ve ever heard or what?  Who the fvck in anyone’s crazy mind would believe they’re hockey players?  Hope they all get candy corn and a stick of gum, ya know, all the sh!t that no trick or treater ever wants.

i'm still taking my kids to the players that live in town and won't egg their houses so we'll see what kind of mood they're in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sundstrom said:

this is incorrect and mistake often made. one-way vs two-way simply has to do with how you're paid. if it's a one way contract, you get your NHL salary whether you are in the NHL or AHL. A two-way has a pay for NHL and a pay for AHL (much lower).

waivers has to do with age and service time.

Ah okay - thanks for the correction.

I blame EA NHL ;) 

Schneider didn't look done at the end of last season.  And buying him out would've stuck a lot of money on the Devils' cap for 6 years.  So I get that decision, and he still might recover, but they can't have stretches like this.  Granted I don't even think Cory was that bad last night - lot of tipped pucks that ended up top corner - but he just hasn't been good this season yet, at all.

Devils goalies have an even strength save percentage of .813 when the Devils have a lead.

And that's the problem with discussing this season.  The Devils skaters have had sh!tty games to start the year.  They've been bad against Philadelphia and Boston and Buffalo.  That Florida game sucked as well - the Devils came out with nothing in the 3rd period.  That cannot happen.  Last night was probably the first game where I thought 'Oh, right, this team has talent and is good and can put pressure on good teams and make them make mistakes'.   But the goaltending lets them down.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Schneider didn't look done at the end of last season.  And buying him out would've stuck a lot of money on the Devils' cap for 6 years.  So I get that decision, and he still might recover, but they can't have stretches like this.  Granted I don't even think Cory was that bad last night - lot of tipped pucks that ended up top corner - but he just hasn't been good this season yet, at all.

Devils goalies have an even strength save percentage of .813 when the Devils have a lead.

And that's the problem with discussing this season.  The Devils skaters have had sh!tty games to start the year.  They've been bad against Philadelphia and Boston and Buffalo.  That Florida game sucked as well - the Devils came out with nothing in the 3rd period.  That cannot happen.  Last night was probably the first game where I thought 'Oh, right, this team has talent and is good and can put pressure on good teams and make them make mistakes'.   But the goaltending lets them down.

This. Yeah with Cory - they likely aren't going to buy him out ever. More likely we see him go on LTIR and he's done. I don't see a way though we can keep trotting him out there with hope.

2 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

This. Yeah with Cory - they likely aren't going to buy him out ever. More likely we see him go on LTIR and he's done. I don't see a way though we can keep trotting him out there with hope.

Permanent LTIR only works if the player is ready to retire.  I don't think Cory Schneider is ready to do that.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Are you suggesting that the devils are going to be a bubble team and end up on the outside looking in?

Because that kind of sounds like a worst-case scenario for rebuilding team.

No, at this point it's much more important that the Devils be good than that they get a high draft pick.  It doesn't even have anything to do with Taylor Hall, either.  

5 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Permanent LTIR only works if the player is ready to retire.  I don't think Cory Schneider is ready to do that.

Or they can just minor him. Force him to play back up in the AHL, quit, and they can terminate. They aren't going to take that cap hit and they shouldn't.

Where to start?

Like I've been saying, it's hard to justify benching guys like Bratt and Gusev when, whether they're in the game or not, we're blowing multi-goal leads for fun anyway it seems. Bratt's and Gusev's poor defense isn't losing us games, the system and lack of balance and depth on D are. We're not going to win any more games trying to teach a player or two defensive/two-way play, our problems are more structural and systematic than a few players not chipping in defensively. We need a new system.

Might as well just get the extra goal support instead of our 4th line in its current state, that escaped a 7-6 game with 0g-0a-0p somehow, with 2 of those players 0g-0a-0p on the season combined through 10 games. They're a known quantity (nothing much) at this point, might as well just get a 4th skill line going with some combination of Boqvist and Gusev that are deployed on offensive zone faceoffs or opposing team icings, etc., what do you have to lose? That way, you can still give them safe 5v5 minutes (10 or so), but put Gusev on the power play; I think that'd be a net positive effect for our team.

As for Hall's comments, I didn't want to get mad about them, but can't help it. This fanbase has given this team such a long leash; most other fanbases would've been booing the team weeks ago already, especially Edmonton. It's surprised me how good some of the crowds have been so far considering not just our record, but how we're losing these games (we've lost 3 2-goal leads at home). Hall should've had the presence of mind as a leader on the team to understand that, and what this fanbase has been through, and he just turned heel pretty quickly unless he shuts everyone up with an explosive November. 

I don't know where I stand on his UFA situation. He's not playing well enough to justify the $10+ million he's probably asking for right now, and if that makes us say "okay, let's trade him," well that's a problem too, because his trade value is going down too. I feel like Shero did everything right this offseason, and I honestly don't envy his position right now. He was so active and gave Hynes so much to work with, and all he was thanked for is a situation where we're calling for "more changes!!! (D or goalie)" and a star winger playing his way out of a big contract or lucrative trade. I don't even know what I'd do if I were Shero.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I agree it's a long season and the optimist in me thinks there's still a chance and time for them to turn this around - hell, we're only 12% of the way through the season, but as the season progresses and we as fans have to sit through each game and watch them go through the ups and downs, the players can't complain if we boo.  Effort or not, we're paying money to see a competent product on the ice, and so far it hasn't looked like that.  If they want us to keep coming, either play better, or expect to be booed.  It's better than just simply not showing up, which is the alternative, and a very real possibility.  

Boo all you want, you have the right. My argument against would be one thing this team lacks now it's confidence (judging by the continuous blowing of leads) and average goaltending. Booing helps neither and will only contribute more towards the former.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Triumph said:

No, at this point it's much more important that the Devils be good than that they get a high draft pick.  It doesn't even have anything to do with Taylor Hall, either.  

This I think is important, in the past I've been on the "If you're gonna miss the playoffs, do it all the way" train, but we already have our foundational pieces in Nico and Hughes with guys like Zacha and Bratt looking like they could be good surrounding pieces. It's time for these guys to learn how to win.

It also doesn't hurt that this year's draft is remarkably deep. I think you'll be able to get a real impact piece all the way down at 15th Overall.

Edited by CommonDreads

4 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Or they can just minor him. Force him to play back up in the AHL, quit, and they can terminate. They aren't going to take that cap hit and they shouldn't.

Not how it works.  Terminating a contract like this is very difficult.  If Cory still wants to play, he'll have to be bought out.  Having him in the minors means paying 5/6th of his cap hit, so that's not a long-term solution.

5 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Where to start?

Like I've been saying, it's hard to justify benching guys like Bratt and Gusev when, whether they're in the game or not, we're blowing multi-goal leads for fun anyway it seems. Bratt's and Gusev's poor defense isn't losing us games, the system and lack of balance and depth on D are. We're not going to win any more games trying to teach a player or two defensive/two-way play, our problems are more structural and systematic than a few players not chipping in defensively. We need a new system.

Might as well just get the extra goal support instead of our 4th line in its current state, that escaped a 7-6 game with 0g-0a-0p somehow, with 2 of those players 0g-0a-0p on the season combined through 10 games. They're a known quantity (nothing much) at this point, might as well just get a 4th skill line going with some combination of Boqvist and Gusev that are deployed on offensive zone faceoffs or opposing team icings, etc., what do you have to lose? That way, you can still give them safe 5v5 minutes (10 or so), but put Gusev on the power play; I think that'd be a net positive effect for our team.

As for Hall's comments, I didn't want to get mad about them, but can't help it. This fanbase has given this team such a long leash; most other fanbases would've been booing the team weeks ago already, especially Edmonton. It's surprised me how good some of the crowds have been so far considering not just our record, but how we're losing these games (we've lost 3 2-goal leads at home). Hall should've had the presence of mind as a leader on the team to understand that, and what this fanbase has been through, and he just turned heel pretty quickly unless he shuts everyone up with an explosive November. 

I don't know where I stand on his UFA situation. He's not playing well enough to justify the $10+ million he's probably asking for right now, and if that makes us say "okay, let's trade him," well that's a problem too, because his trade value is going down too. I feel like Shero did everything right this offseason, and I honestly don't envy his position right now. He was so active and gave Hynes so much to work with, and all he was thanked for is a situation where we're calling for "more changes!!! (D or goalie)" and a star winger playing his way out of a big contract or lucrative trade. I don't even know what I'd do if I were Shero.

I want to be very clear on this booing - if you think Edmonton fans boo in the situation New Jersey fans did last night, you don't watch Edmonton games.  And Taylor would know that because he spent years in Edmonton playing for a sh!tty team.  Canadian fans don't boo.  Okay, Montreal does.  Everyone else?  Nah, not really, and most of them have been sh!tty for a very long time in recent memory.  You guys have way overestimated how kind Devils crowds are.   What Devils fans don't do is boo individual players in the way that happens in other places.  They didn't boo Rolston and they barely even booed Kovalchuk when he was at the height of his being awful.  But man, Milan Lucic wasn't getting booed last year.  

• Like 1

After a night to sleep it off I’m still pissed, and seriously considering paying money to go Friday just to boo them even more. The amount of blown leads is downright EMBARRASSING. They should be apologizing to the fans for this garbage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

my positive spin on halls comments are to take heat off of cory, which would be leadership in a way...but thats not what was going on there imo.

i went to parise first game back just to go boo him

maybe its what get hall motivated and now that i think about it,yeah

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You're being needlessly pedantic. You talk about how much you dislike the hyperbole seven minutes after a loss and then follow it up with "canadian fans don't boo like American fans" and it took a three minute google search and copy-pasting the first five results to say that's absolutely ridiculous. 

Devils fans were booing 'down 2-1' because they had just given up the lead for the 455th time this season (source needed) and had three consecutive failed zone entries. That's well within their fans rights to boo. 

But it's true, though - Canadian fans don't react the same way.  Canadian fans also don't react like American fans to goals.  American fans stand up when their team scores.  A lot of Canadian fans do not - they will pan the crowd and a sizable portion of the crowd will be seated.  It's slightly different, culture-wise.  

The fact that the first five examples are all ancient in SEO terms seems to suggest my point.  The Oilers have missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons since 2014-2015.  Where are the results from this era?  Why aren't fans losing their sh!t in 2018-19?

Edited by Triumph

Insufferable.

And when you read her article on last night's game, that question and answer (Hall grading his personal performance) are no where to be found. Just sniping at fans for fun at this point, this guy wasn't even being disrespectful, there just seems to be a resentment for having to cover this team this season.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 6

I want everyone to go into work tomorrow and do nothing the whole day, randomly walk around to people and curse them off, take a nap at your desk, break a few things and then come into work Monday and do your normal job.  Don’t worry about getting fired, you won’t.  That’s exactly how I relate to their season, they can be absolute sh!t game in and game out and there isn’t a fvcking consequence for anyone, especially that fvcking piece of sh!t hynes (refuse to capitalize his name).  Pathetic a$$ wipes.  Take Boston and put devils jerseys on every player and just by them wearing the jersey they’ll quickly become the worst team in the league.  Don’t get your hopes up, we can’t put bruins jerseys on and expect to win, doesn’t work in that direction.  Can only ruin a players career by putting a devils jersey on.  Fvck them all.

54 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

Boo all you want, you have the right. My argument against would be one thing this team lacks now it's confidence (judging by the continuous blowing of leads) and average goaltending. Booing helps neither and will only contribute more towards the former.

I guess it's a matter of perspective.   It's one thing if you're talking about kids here, and little Johnny misses on a breakaway so you encourage him and try to lift his spirits.  That's what you're supposed to do - he's a good kid, and (hopefully) he'll learn and get better.  There are other people who don't coddle their kids/players at all, and purely subscribe to the 'tough love' theory.  For me it's a hybrid approach.  I'll encourage players at first, but at a certain point you just have to learn to be a man and figure it out and deal with it on your own.  This isn't the same situation though.  These are pros.  HIGHLY paid, "PROFESSIONAL" athletes.  If you want to say that they should be extended the same level of encouragement initially, ok, that's fine.  But I think we've all done that.  We've all gone to GREAT lengths to show up and support this team with a big fat fvcking smile on our faces.  Hell, we're all here right now on this message board discussing it because we care about the team and want them to succeed.  But I personally am beyond the point of sitting down mild mannered and just accepting what we're seeing on the ice night in and night out.  

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Insufferable.

And when you read her article on last night's game, that question and answer (Hall grading his personal performance) are no where to be found. Just sniping at fans for fun at this point, this guy wasn't even being disrespectful, there just seems to be a resentment for having to cover this team this season.

Not saying that this is the right attitude to have by any stretch, but I'm sure the Abbey-types are the ones who get certain fans to say "This is why I don't want chicks covering sports." 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Insufferable.

She's unbelievable.

This is the modern era of being a beat reporter.  Bonus points if you're female because you can just be completely unprofessional and then cry sexism if you get called out on your bullsh!t.

• Like 2