Jump to content
NJDfan1711

GDT - Devils vs Flyers 11/1/19 7:00 MSG+ 2

Recommended Posts

Trying out my luck this season.  No fancy title or nickname for our hated opponents.  Simplicity is key.  Let's just fvcking win. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I will be there with my dad tonight.  First time I have gone to a game with him in about 4-5 years.

That's awesome.  I have been going to games with my dad for 30 years - it's a lot less now, we're lucky if we get to go to 1 or 2 games a year now, but it's still fun and I enjoy when we get to spend time together.  Here's hoping you and your dad get to bond over an 8-0 shellacking. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LGMFD!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I will be there with my dad tonight.  First time I have gone to a game with him in about 4-5 years.

Very nice. I’m on the other side of that equation and it’s something my daughter and I really enjoy. 

My own dad hates hockey and always refused to take me. Nowadays he won’t go to any sports so going to baseball games, which was always our tradition, is long since over. 

Cherish those moments boys, it hurts when they are gone. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's awesome.  I have been going to games with my dad for 30 years - it's a lot less now, we're lucky if we get to go to 1 or 2 games a year now, but it's still fun and I enjoy when we get to spend time together.  Here's hoping you and your dad get to bond over an 8-0 shellacking. 

Thanks!  He is going to turn 79 later this month and we used to have season tickets for most of the 90's and into the early 2000's at CAA.  This is maybe his 3rd or 4th time to Prudential Center since it opened.  I am somewhat curious to his reaction to the new scoreboard since he used to say the old one was hard to see lol.

I hope we win too.  Either way, it should be a good time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LGD, please win

Also, don't boo Hall unless we want this thing going nuclear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Very nice. I’m on the other side of that equation and it’s something my daughter and I really enjoy. 

My own dad hates hockey and always refused to take me. Nowadays he won’t go to any sports so going to baseball games, which was always our tradition, is long since over. 

Cherish those moments boys, it hurts when they are gone. 

I'm really carbon-dating myself here, but our "family thing" when I was growing up was going to New York Cosmos games in the late 70s - early 80s, at Giants Stadium...my dad bought season tix, right behind one of the goals, and we had them for a few years...I saw WAY more soccer games there than I ever did football.  My bro played soccer throughout his childhood and adolescence (college too for a few years), and my dad coached many of his teams, so soccer was in our family.  We'd usually pick up a bucket of Gino's chicken (pretty much the same as KFC) and bring a couple of other munchies for tailgating (I think I enjoyed that part of it more than the games themselves...sometimes still to this day).  Sometimes it would be my whole family (me, brother, mom, and dad), and sometimes just me, bro, and dad.  We always had a good time...when the Nets first moved to NJ and had to play in Rutgers (due to the BBA not being ready yet), my dad would get tickets for the three of us to go to those games as well (don't remember my mother ever going to any basketball games).  The Nets were pretty awful back then...they were usually down by 20+ by the third quarter.  I don't think my dad minded much, because it meant we got to head out early.  We even went to a Philadelphia Fever game once (indoor soccer).  In a way my dad was still kinda-sorta a kid himself, which added to the fun...my parents were only 20 when they had me, so when we were going to these events, he was only in his late-20s, yet had two boys that were already well past the infant stage (My daughter didn't arrive until I was already 38).  People sometimes don't believe him when they first meet him (he's now 70 but doesn't look it) when he mentions that he has two sons approaching 50, and five grandkids...one of whom is already in college. 

The irony is that though those were some nice memories for sure, neither of those sports took for me, not even for nostalgia's sake.  I know people love soccer (especially in other countries), but I find it to be a heavily flawed sport...championships are occasionally decided by penalty kicks because it's just too hard to score...way too many games end either 0-0 or 1-0...and then there's the many players who writhe on the ground like they've been shot seemingly every time someone dares to graze them.  I think sometimes there's soccer riots just because fans want to see a damned goal scored already.

I can count on one hand the number of baseball, hockey, and football games that I attended prior to getting my license (in 1987)...yet those are the sports that I'm a rabid follower of (the Devils being #1), and have been for many many years.  Go figure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

LGD, please win

Also, don't boo Hall unless we want this thing going nuclear.

I'm really curious to see how this goes. I'm still very annoyed about those comments myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm really carbon-dating myself here, but our "family thing" when I was growing up was going to New York Cosmos games in the late 70s - early 80s, at Giants Stadium...my dad bought season tix, right behind one of the goals, and we had them for a few years...I saw WAY more soccer games there than I ever did football.  My bro played soccer throughout his childhood and adolescence (college too for a few years), and my dad coached many of his teams, so soccer was in our family.  We'd usually pick up a bucket of Gino's chicken (pretty much the same as KFC) and bring a couple of other munchies for tailgating (I think I enjoyed that part of it more than the games themselves...sometimes still to this day).  Sometimes it would be my whole family (me, brother, mom, and dad), and sometimes just me, bro, and dad.  We always had a good time...when the Nets first moved to NJ and had to play in Rutgers (due to the BBA not being ready yet), my dad would get tickets for the three of us to go to those games as well (don't remember my mother ever going to any basketball games).  The Nets were pretty awful back then...they were usually down by 20+ by the third quarter.  I don't think my dad minded much, because it meant we got to head out early.  We even went to a Philadelphia Fever game once (indoor soccer).  In a way my dad was still kinda-sorta a kid himself, which added to the fun...my parents were only 20 when they had me, so when we were going to these events, he was only in his late-20s, yet had two boys that were already well past the infant stage (My daughter didn't arrive until I was already 38).  People sometimes don't believe him when they first meet him (he's now 70 but doesn't look it) when he mentions that he has two sons approaching 50, and five grandkids...one of whom is already in college. 

The irony is that though those were some nice memories for sure, neither of those sports took for me, not even for nostalgia's sake.  I know people love soccer (especially in other countries), but I find it to be a heavily flawed sport...championships are occasionally decided by penalty kicks because it's just too hard to score...way too many games end either 0-0 or 1-0...and then there's the many players who writhe on the ground like they've been shot seemingly every time someone dares to graze them.  I think sometimes there's soccer riots just because fans want to see a damned goal scored already.

I can count on one hand the number of baseball, hockey, and football games that I attended prior to getting my license (in 1987)...yet those are the sports that I'm a rabid follower of (the Devils being #1), and have been for many many years.  Go figure. 

Have you taken him to a game at Red Bull Arena? The stadium is absolutely gorgeous and there isn't a bad seat in the place. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought when I saw the above was "Man, I'd much rather EAT my Oreos..."

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm really carbon-dating myself here, but our "family thing" when I was growing up was going to New York Cosmos games in the late 70s - early 80s, at Giants Stadium...my dad bought season tix, right behind one of the goals, and we had them for a few years...I saw WAY more soccer games there than I ever did football.  My bro played soccer throughout his childhood and adolescence (college too for a few years), and my dad coached many of his teams, so soccer was in our family.  We'd usually pick up a bucket of Gino's chicken (pretty much the same as KFC) and bring a couple of other munchies for tailgating (I think I enjoyed that part of it more than the games themselves...sometimes still to this day).  Sometimes it would be my whole family (me, brother, mom, and dad), and sometimes just me, bro, and dad.  We always had a good time...when the Nets first moved to NJ and had to play in Rutgers (due to the BBA not being ready yet), my dad would get tickets for the three of us to go to those games as well (don't remember my mother ever going to any basketball games).  The Nets were pretty awful back then...they were usually down by 20+ by the third quarter.  I don't think my dad minded much, because it meant we got to head out early.  We even went to a Philadelphia Fever game once (indoor soccer).  In a way my dad was still kinda-sorta a kid himself, which added to the fun...my parents were only 20 when they had me, so when we were going to these events, he was only in his late-20s, yet had two boys that were already well past the infant stage (My daughter didn't arrive until I was already 38).  People sometimes don't believe him when they first meet him (he's now 70 but doesn't look it) when he mentions that he has two sons approaching 50, and five grandkids...one of whom is already in college. 

The irony is that though those were some nice memories for sure, neither of those sports took for me, not even for nostalgia's sake.  I know people love soccer (especially in other countries), but I find it to be a heavily flawed sport...championships are occasionally decided by penalty kicks because it's just too hard to score...way too many games end either 0-0 or 1-0...and then there's the many players who writhe on the ground like they've been shot seemingly every time someone dares to graze them.  I think sometimes there's soccer riots just because fans want to see a damned goal scored already.

I can count on one hand the number of baseball, hockey, and football games that I attended prior to getting my license (in 1987)...yet those are the sports that I'm a rabid follower of (the Devils being #1), and have been for many many years.  Go figure. 

That's some awesome memories.  Thanks for sharing!

My parents used to take my brother to Cosmos games in the very early 80's before I was born.  They still talk about those games very fondly to this day.  Here and there I still find old Cosmos memorabilia to this day at their house.  When the new NYC FC club came into existence a few years ago in the MLS, my brother was hoping they would be named the Cosmos.  If they did he would have immediately dropped the Red Bull and become a fan of that team.  Alas, it was not to be so my brother is still a Red Bull fan lol.

Soccer is my second favorite sport and I do enjoy watching them.  I really appreciate how quickly the game goes so it is easy to plan your day around them as well.  Regarding diving, from what I have seen the MLS is one of the better leagues of where the players do not dive as much.  This is especially so compared to those top-tier European leagues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm really curious to see how this goes. I'm still very annoyed about those comments myself. 

I addressed this in the Hall thread, but I think sometimes we hold these players to an unfair standard.  Yeah, he said something in a bad moment after yet another brutal loss that many of us (me included) didn't like.  But people in ALL walks of life do that...he's not perfect, and neither are of us.  Sh!t happens...what's funny is we all want real honesty from these guys, but when they utter something we don't like, then we want them all to STFU.  There's way worse things that he could say and do.  I was pretty critical of him initially too, but I just feel like we can cut the guy a break.  Not saying that you're doing this, but I don't think this needs to be held against him for an extended period of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I addressed this in the Hall thread, but I think sometimes we hold these players to an unfair standard.  Yeah, he said something in a bad moment after yet another brutal loss that many of us (me included) didn't like.  But people in ALL walks of life do that...he's not perfect, and neither are of us.  Sh!t happens...what's funny is we all want real honesty from these guys, but when they utter something we don't like, then we want them all to STFU.  There's way worse things that he could say and do.  I was pretty critical of him initially too, but I just feel like we can cut the guy a break.  Not saying that you're doing this, but I don't think this needs to be held against him for an extended period of time. 

The main reason I'm not cutting him a break is that I think he's gone now. Between the poor start, this team not making the playoffs and now the fan comments I see no chance of him re-signing. We have seen this movie way too many times before. 

I don't mind him being honest, problem is not a single one of our worthless beat reporters asked him "what do you think of the fans booing" he brought it up out of nowhere to a completely unrelated question. That's what annoys me. 

I won't be actively booing him to start off unless they get their teeth kicked in tonight and at that point the season is already sunk so might as well enjoy watching everything burn. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

The main reason I'm not cutting a break is that I think he's gone now. Between the poor start, this team not making the playoffs and now the fan comments I see no chance of him re-signing. We have seen this movie way too many times before. 

I won't be actively booing him to start off unless they get their teeth kicked in tonight and at that point the season is already sunk so might as well enjoy watching everything burn. 

I've also seen the other version of the movie where it gets way uglier than it currently is here, yet the guy winds up staying (despite everyone from the fans to the media assuming otherwise). 

At any rate, there's no way this story's already been written on 11/1.  There is young talent here...the situation isn't hopeless, though obviously the goaltending has serious implosion potential (though I remain hopeful for Mac).  Like I said previously, let me see where this team is 5-6 weeks from now.  If it hasn't gotten any better, then yeah, Taylor probably doesn't stick around, and Ray has to see what he can get for him.  I know some can write off the Devils after 10 games (and I'll admit that there's already been way too many WTF moments), but based on the general talent level, I can't do that with this team yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

LGD, Schneider in net,same lineup hopefully not the same results

200.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've also seen the other version of the movie where it gets way uglier than it currently is here, yet the guy winds up staying (despite everyone from the fans to the media assuming otherwise). 

At any rate, there's no way this story's already been written on 11/1.  There is young talent here...the situation isn't hopeless, though obviously the goaltending has serious implosion potential (though I remain hopeful for Mac).  Like I said previously, let me see where this team is 5-6 weeks from now.  If it hasn't gotten any better, then yeah, Taylor probably doesn't stick around, and Ray has to see what he can get for him.  I know some can write off the Devils after 10 games (and I'll admit that there's already been way too many WTF moments), but based on the general talent level, I can't do that with this team yet. 

My comments are more related to this season and not the future but I would absolutely love to be wrong about everything but I think this season is sunk already. I know I'm far from the most positive person but I've never been this negative about the team before.

Season ended in October already for me, we are on pace to finish last in the division for the 3rd time in the last 4 years. On pace to miss the playoffs for the 7th time in the past 8 years with only one season thrown in where we barely made the playoffs and got stomped in 5 games anyway. 

I don't expect to win the cup every year but I'm beyond pissed that I have to sit through another year of absolutely pointless games in person when it's already November and this feels over.

I've sat through a lot of bad hockey and absolutely pointless seasons and spent a nice chunk of money in the past 8 seasons, so when you throw in Hall's comments all I have in response is my middle finger to him. 

I don't even think our owners are bad like some do but I'm just frankly extremely pissed off with how everything has turned out this year and I've seen enough already.

I've had season tickets for over 2 decades now and I never sell my seats unless I had a conflict and usually miss 3-4 games a year tops but I'm at the point where I'm trying to sell as many as I can because that's how pissed off I am about this season and I'm already ready for the 20-21 season. Im only selling if I get face value for them so I'll end up at almost every game anyway because our front office on the non hockey side is a complete joke but that's another whole rant I could go on. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.