GDT: Devils @ Jets 11/5/19 8:00 PM MSG

nessus

Gusev badly needs to be removed from the lineup. He can't play on the fourth line because Hynes likes to have checking players on that unit that he can put out there for d-zone faceoffs, and he can't play with Zajac because that line is relied on to be two-way. So, he has to play him with Hughes, and thus, he has to protect that line and as you saw tonight, we basically had 3.5 lines, and Hughes is rendered ineffective.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

What’s Blackwoods nickname anyway? Usually hockey players just add a “Y” or “er” after someone’s name but Wood is already “Woodsy“ and I know they can’t call him “Blacky”. What about John Holmes? Too far?

Dirk Diggler

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Gusev badly needs to be removed from the lineup. He can't play on the fourth line because Hynes likes to have checking players on that unit that he can put out there for d-zone faceoffs, and he can't play with Zajac because that line is relied on to be two-way. So, he has to play him with Hughes, and thus, he has to protect that line and as you saw tonight, we basically had 3.5 lines, and Hughes is rendered ineffective.

Yup not taking advantage at all of Hughes this way...

Edited by Devils01

On a positive note, Blackwood wasn't just good tonight, he was fantastic. We lose that game handily with Schneider in net, and possibly some other NHL goaltenders as well.

But let's talk about Boqvist. His game was awesome - not that he was spectacular but for his third or so game, I loved what I saw. He was fairly responsible out there, he made some things happen - drew that penalty at the end of OT - and he has a clever snarl to his game I didn't know about. He did some very veteran things out there to be a pest to Winnipeg. With our roster, that man should be playing nightly.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Kind of hard when you come to North America and get less than a handful of games on small ice before you're a healthy scratch over a period where the team only plays 2 games in a 2 week period, then you get thrown in against a hard hitting skilled western conference playoff bound team for the first game back. 

I agree. Goose needs work, but he also needs some time to play. He can't play 3 games in North America, sit in a press box, not play a game for weeks, then expected to come in and look A+ against a good team. Also, will add, don't like him on the Hughes line. He should be with Zajac and Coleman and move Boqvist up. 

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

Ok. Gonna give you guys a scenario. A genie can promise you that the Devils win 5-4 in overtime, but it comes with the caveat that the Devils blew a 4-0 third period lead. Do you say yes or no?

Does a 2-1 SO win mean someone rubbed the genie the right way?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Kind of hard when you come to North America and get less than a handful of games on small ice before you're a healthy scratch over a period where the team only plays 2 games in a 2 week period, then you get thrown in against a hard hitting skilled western conference playoff bound team for the first game back. 

I agree. Goose needs work, but he also needs some time to play. He can't play 3 games in North America, sit in a press box, not play a game for weeks, then expected to come in and look A+ against a good team. Also, will add, don't like him on the Hughes line. He should be with Zajac and Coleman and move Boqvist up. 

Or in another line. Any line but not Gusev and Hughes on the same. They didn’t work together when opponents are taller and forchecker. Can I say forechecker or I need to use more forecheck?

• Like 1

Just now, MB3 said:

Quoting this so that it is recorded that I watched CR lob the ball up to mfitz 

Not the first time I will have set up mfitz for an easy tap-in...

• Like 1

Big win - nice to get off the shootout schneid, nicer to do it 2-0 so there's no real sweat at the end.  

They need to work on 3 on 3 - that's been horrible the last two games and they've been lucky to escape without losing there.  No real chances for except on the late power play.

They've got to find someone to fill in for Tennyson.  Can't have someone dragging Butcher down like that.  It's weird, he doesn't look that bad but the results are really awful so far.

One thing I like about this stretch also - Hynes is not coaching like someone who is coaching for his job.  Gusev and Hughes got a late shift in a tie game.  Boqvist got a shift with a minute left.  It would've been easy to bench all 3 guys and ride 9 forwards down the stretch.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

By the way @SterioDesign, you ever considered moving to Winnipeg? They booed Subban every single time he touched the puck in an apparent “wink wink nudge nudge this has nothing to do with his race”, that seems like your peoples.

Far be it from me to defend either Sterio or the people of Winnipeg, but Nashville and Winnipeg had some pretty big playoff battles when Subban was there.  Is there probably a racial element to it, yeah, but that's at least not all of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

By the way @SterioDesign, you ever considered moving to Winnipeg? They booed Subban every single time he touched the puck in an apparent “wink wink nudge nudge this has nothing to do with his race”, that seems like your peoples.

Their heads are devide. South Park should teach you to not take them seriously 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

We just won a game. We should all be happy. Why would you go out of your way to be an a$$hole and start sh!t exactly ?

I actually don't really mind. But if you're gonna go and call me a racist, then you can go fvck yourself.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

We just won a game. We should all be happy. Why would you go out of your way to be an a$$hole and start sh!t exactly ?

I actually don't really mind. But if you're gonna go and call me a racist, then you can go fvck yourself.

But can you comment on the Winnipeg thing?

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Does a 2-1 SO win mean someone rubbed the genie the right way?

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not the first time I will have set up mfitz for an easy tap-in...

Gives new meaning to the phrase “shootout victory”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I am happy. I said it was mostly tongue in cheek ya weirdo. You seem like you mind quite a bit.

Being called a racist out of the blue is really something most people would mind and not something you really say tongue in cheek. But, whatever, turn the thread into stupid sh!t.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Taylor Hall played like a man who really fvcking wants to win, tonight. And nico is just... nico is a fvcking stud. 

Nico was 6th in the league in FO% coming into tonight’s game at 59.4%. You can tell he’s really worked on the very few holes he had in his game. 

I see Selke Trophies in this kid’s future. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nico was 6th in the league in FO% coming into tonight’s game at 59.4%. You can tell he’s really worked on the very few holes he had in his game. 

I see Selke Trophies in this kid’s future. 

Nico was beastly tonight. So impressed with his improvement on face offs. His game is becoming so polished. Still needs to shoot more but his game is taking off nonetheless.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Crisis said:

But can you comment on the Winnipeg thing?

I assume you're referring to Subban being booed? Not sure why my opinion would matter? I'm not from Winnipeg... I didn't watch the game until the end of the 3rd... so all i can offer is a few guess / observations. 

1) So a quick google search will tell you that the crowd in Winnipeg is always booing Subban. So that's nothing new. Why? I can think of many many reasons but i can't say that i know for sure. Here's a few guesses

3) When he was in Nashville they played the Jets. Maybe something happened during that series. That's the only "rivalry" that could make sense... MTL-WIN was not really a thing.

3) Subban is a star player, he's a diver who gets PP that way.. so that's usually something that will get you booed, he played dirty at times, he gets under people's skin, he was once voted the most hated player in the NHL, etc etc so i could see any of those reasons being a possibility

4) I guess you can't disregard the possibility that some fans are simply racist but I doubt that'd be it and would hate to throw that word around without any sort of legit proofs. I'd also hate if that was indeed the case. Were they booing Simmonds too? Or were they cheering Big Buff last year? I mean, i'm not really sure how you can quantify that... but if you google "most racist city in Canada" Winnipeg is coming up a few times, so who knows