GDT: Devils @ Jets 11/5/19 8:00 PM MSG

nessus

51 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Dude, if you’re only remembering the end of their tenures, then fine. But both of them were great in their tenures.

The sheer fact you put them over Ken Klee is very telling that you’re trolling

First one I thought of. Ken Klee in that Carolina series makes me wanna vom.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

I’m sure everyone (including me) was really excited when they initially acquired Schneider.  Boy have those feelings been adjusted ever so slightly.  Worst goalie they’ve ever had by far?

I was never thrilled by the Schneider acquisition and was torn to shreds on this board for proposing that we turn him around for assets when his value was at its peak.  That said, he isn’t even close to being the worst goalie we’ve ever had.  Alain Chevrier is perhaps the worst starter we’ve had in NJ for any length of time (in other words, not someone who played a couple games once). But if you want to talk about franchise history, it might be tough to top the Swedish Sieve as the worst goalie.  Then again, those Scouts and Rockies teams were so bad it isn’t exactly a fair assessment just how awful the goalies were compared to the rest of the team.  Look at Chico Resch’s career: when he played on a quality team he was an excellent goalie and a real asset to the Islanders, but plunk him on those anemic Rockies/Devils teams and he suddenly looked like he didn’t know what he was doing.  IMHO that was the team much more than Resch.

As an aside, in spite of all the years of success, Resch is still quite possibly my favorite player in Devils history.  He made the best of a bad situation and made my childhood that much happier given that the Devils were a hopeless mess back then.  

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

it's a very sad realization when you play the events in your head where we don't get schneider.... we might have McDAvid and Matthews on the team right now

Eh, we’ve been luckier than many teams by landing Nico and Hughes. 

And just look at how little Edmonton and Toronto have accomplished even with those guys. 

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

it's a very sad realization when you play the events in your head where we don't get schneider.... we might have McDAvid and Matthews on the team right now

That's a big if with the way the lotto is setup now because there's still no guarantee that happens. Look at Colorado who had the highest odds in 2017 and 2019 and dropped to fourth both times. 

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's a big if with the way the lotto is setup now because there's still no guarantee that happens. Look at Colorado who had the highest odds in 2017 and 2019 and dropped to fourth both times. 

It’s like saying if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It’s 2019, your aunt can have balls. 

while we’re on the topic of balls, who’s the worst Devils forward you’ve ever seen? I can’t decide between Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk. 

Absolutely Kovy. We lost much of pieces and last of reputation for him. 

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Ofc you knew. If DM84 is to be believed you probably smelled him from across the room lol

God just reading this I could sort of "memory smell" that jersey and I am gagging here at my desk.

I've had other jerseys that I have received that were unwashed, but none were as horrifyingly as bad smelling as that one.

B.O. Parenteau is what I call him now.

15 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

While we’re on the topic (even though you may not agree that we’re on that topic but I’ll start it any way because...we’ll, why not?) in your lifetime of watching defenseman, worst Devils defenseman you’ve ever seen is who?

For me I’d prob have to go between Salvador or Colin White.

Both Colin White and Bryce Salvador were decent to pretty good defensemen before their respective injuries.

Worst D-men for the Devils that I can think of off the top of my head in no particular order:

Merrill

Mottau

Klee

Havelid

Vishnevskiy

Mueller

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

which is why i put "might have" haha

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

God just reading this I could sort of "memory smell" that jersey and I am gagging here at my desk.

I've had other jerseys that I have received that were unwashed, but none were as horrifyingly as bad smelling as that one.

B.O. Parenteau is what I call him now.

oh that's the deal. I had no idea what he was talking about lol

Mottau was actually not bad for a while.  That’s when the Devils were squeezing passable (though often temporary) performances out of guys like Brookbank.

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

which is why i put "might have" haha

oh that's the deal. I had no idea what he was talking about lol

Picture a smell like the worst BO ever, combined with vomit...that’s the smell as DM described it to me.  The only unwashed jersey I’ve ever gotten was Zajac’s Elias Retirement, and on a scale of 1-10, I’d rate it a 2.  It was there, but barely.  You had to sniff the jersey within an inch or so to notice it at all.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mottau was actually not bad for a while.  That’s when the Devils were squeezing passable (though often temporary) performances out of guys like Brookbank.

I remember him being brutal in 09-10 season here.  He was often paired with White as our second or third pairing and they were getting pushed around a bit.

Brookbank is another name I often forget.  Him and Mark Fraser.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Picture a smell like the worst BO ever, combined with vomit...that’s the smell as DM described it to me.  The only unwashed jersey I’ve ever gotten was Zajac’s Elias Retirement, and on a scale of 1-10, I’d rate it a 2.  It was there, but barely.  You had to sniff the jersey within an inch or so to notice it at all.

lol yup that's the smell.  Maybe add a little raw sewage to the mix but the worst part was the vomit portion of the smell.  It just made you gag immediately.

At my former home, I had my jerseys in a closet in the finished part of the basement.  We would just open the door to the basement and the smell from the jersey would hit you like a brick wall.  It really did stink up the whole room.  Even airing it out for a few days on my deck and doing the dryer sheets in a box trick didn't work.

32 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I remember him being brutal in 09-10 season here.  He was often paired with White as our second or third pairing and they were getting pushed around a bit.

Brookbank is another name I often forget.  Him and Mark Fraser.

His 2008-09 season was pretty good...somehow he was a +24.  But yeah, whatever “magic” he had didn’t last.  

It was odd seeing him wearing #27, as it was seeing both Clarkson and Tallackson wear that number briefly (Clarkson wore that during his first call-up, as Gomer was still wearing #23 at the time).  Guessing Lou might have been miffed for a while that Nieds didn’t accept Lou’s max offer, so dishing that number out to unproven meh guys at the time didn’t seem terribly sacrilegious to Lou.  

Of course, the most ridiculous jersey retirement of all time will be Jean Ratelle.  Only about a gazillion guys wore his number for the Rangers after he left.  And of course they only waited for how many years?  Absurd. 

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

It’s 2019, your aunt can have balls. 

while we’re on the topic of balls, who’s the worst Devils forward you’ve ever seen? I can’t decide between Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk. 

My Aunt is a woman. My gut feeling is if she had a set of balls installed, she’d want to be called my uncle. Doesn’t matter to me, I wasn’t voicing an opinion about my aunt having balls. 

If we’re talking Elias is probably worse than both Kovy and Parise so I’ll go with him. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

His 2008-09 season was pretty good...somehow he was a +24.  But yeah, whatever “magic” he had didn’t last.  

It was odd seeing him wearing #27, as it was seeing both Clarkson and Tallackson wear that number briefly (Clarkson wore that during his first call-up, as Gomer was still wearing #23 at the time).  Guessing Lou might have been miffed for a while that Nieds didn’t accept Lou’s max offer, so dishing that number out to unproven meh guys at the time didn’t seem terribly sacrilegious to Lou.  

Of course, the most ridiculous jersey retirement of all time will be Jean Ratelle.  Only about a gazillion guys wore his number for the Rangers after he left.  And of course they only waited for how many years?  Absurd. 

I don’t agree with “holding” a guy’s number. If it’s not retired, it’s available. If Nieds retired a Devil, maybe it wouldn’t have gotten reassigned. Stevens, Dano, Elias, and Brodeur (mostly) we’re retired close to the end of their tenure, which makes sense. 

I don’t think the team should be worried about stuff like that. But weird for the fans? Yes. If Marty played like 3 seasons in St Louis and KK was assigned his number, that would have been ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ratelle's jersey retirement was a clear-cut money grab.  His last game in a Ranger uniform was 42 friggin years before the retirement ceremony.  I can imagine very few Rangers watching that ceremony could even remember him playing for them.

I think unless in some absolute, extreme circumstances teams should not even bother retiring players numbers after 20+ years have passed since their last game in their uniform.