GDT: Devils at Flames 9:00 PM

51 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Once again my contention is this notion that Butcher could have made a better play.  What better play was available in either of the images you provided?  Even in this second image, he's sideways and basically the same distance from both Monahan and Gaudreau as he is in the second previous image a few frames later.  If he attacks Monahan straight up, he runs the risk of said 2-on-1 developing and leaving Tennyson hanging out to dry more than he already is.  So aside from B-lining it towards Blackwood and still not being able to catch Gaudreau as he eventually speeds by Tennyson (Butcher isn't as fast as Gaudreau, and you can see even in this 2nd image they're essentially lined up evenly, so he would lose that footrace), his only other option is the one that he actually ended up taking, which was to try and stop the pass from Monahan to Gaudreau.  Sure you could argue that it was futile, and perhaps even a bit desperate, but given the circumstances it was basically the lesser of 3 evils.

First you point how how Butcher should have headed back towards Blackwood and then you deny he should have done so. You should have stuck with your initial stance.  I shouldn't have to explain how a straight line is an advantage over a curved line over the same distance - Gaudreau is very fast but it was Butcher's best play. There's not much to debate - it's one play, it's over, I'm not calling for Butcher to be benched.

• Like 2
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So tonight: Bad penalties. Both taken and phantoms called by the refs Horrendous second period and zero adjustments by the coaches during the third. Who’s our next 7th defender? Because

The answer was “exactly the wrong amount”. 

The two arrows on the right just merely indicate who both guys were responsible for picking up (I thought that much was obvious), the back two arrows of show, ideally, where they should have headed (T

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

First you point how how Butcher should have headed back towards Blackwood and then you deny he should have done so. You should have stuck with your initial stance.  I shouldn't have to explain how a straight line is an advantage over a curved line over the same distance - Gaudreau is very fast but it was Butcher's best play. There's not much to debate - it's one play, it's over, I'm not calling for Butcher to be benched.

Damn, you're struggling here. I've not changed my stance on the play, and I've thought and agreed that Butcher could (not should) have just gone straight back to the net.  Hindsight being 20/20 shows us that him trying to pick off the pass to Gaudreau didn't work, which is natural because it was a pretty low percentage chance of him intercepting it. But once again the point, which I have no idea how or why you can't seem to understand this, is that had he done that, it wouldn't have changed anything, so the fact that he chose to do something else isn't at all egregious to the point where it warrants you vilifying him for it.  It's interesting that you went so far to include an image earlier, yet you claim to be not calling for his benching.  All of a sudden it's not a big deal in your eyes, but you spent several posts trying to say otherwise.

Anyway, you're right - agree to disagree, and it's not important anymore.