GDT: Devils @ Canucks 4PM

Devils01

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

I’d rather suffer with him as the expensive backup than have to repeat the Malakhov trade 

fvck. Yes.

defensive coordinator and Gettleman need to go too

Shurmur, Betch,Getts, and fvcking shula. Add Chris Mara for screwing this franchise,

Sorry for the non devils rant guys.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That Hall embellishment call was an absolute joke, same thing with the non icing call at the end of the game. 

He’s quite an actor, I really believed he had been totally crushed against the boards. But I guess he didn’t. 

• Like 2

Gladly take the win.

I do think this is who we are though which is just not very good, not horrible but bottom third of the league and not all that close to challenging for anything. Still very much a work in progress but not really close to having turned the corner. This scenario could possibly by Hynes even more time which suck because I don't think he's the answer to any of the questions. In the end imo another year of most likely missing the playoffs or best case losing in round one.  Looking forward to whatever is gonna happen with Taylor to happen so we can move on from the day to day unknown.

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

All the talk of depth at defense and how we need help, I cannot beat this dead horse enough: we could have had Sbisa for nothing and (almost literally) minimum cap hit.

(Awaiting advanced stats to prove it would be bad, cause ~12 NHL games in the last few years would agree with that.)

Sbisa is really bad.  He's been consistently on for more shots against than for during his career, he's had multiple serious injuries, and he's 30.  It would not shock me if there are 20 guys in the AHL better than him.

45 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Simmonds has 6 points in his last 7 games. I wish all our players were that terrible 

People really need to stop with their baseless outbursts about how terrible people are. Simmonds is awful, yet has 6 points in 7, and in the next breath people want to polish Boqvist’s balls with a fine cloth when he hasn’t even scored an NHL point. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Can we just leave him in Vancouver? He knows the city, he’ll be alright lol

All Jack Hughes' stuff is in his house. 

Clever move by Cory really. Take in the future face of the franchise. Keep him in your basement. Major collateral for Cory there for negotiating game time or a new contract. 

"Play me on Tuesday John or else Jack gets the hose again"

• Haha 4

After missing a majority of the Oilers game (and being happy about that), I got to see the Canucks game yesterday.  Nice to finally see them play in Vancouver that is not a 10PM EST start time.

Blackwood had a great game.  It is safe to say at this point that he is our starter for the foreseeable future.

At this point no one is going to take on Cory with his contract as well as how he is playing.  Plus I believe he has either a NTC or NMC which also stymies any sort of trade to other teams.  I would say a buyout this off-season is on the table.

Really impressed more and more by Hughes.  Even in games where he doesn't get on the scoresheet he does great things.  I really am excited to see how he grows each year for years to come.

That no goal on the Hall breakaway is bullsh!t.  Yeah I saw the reading of the rulebook, but that is a slippery slope.  What prevents the opposition from putting in efforts where they purposefully dislodge the net but make it look accidental?  Players often embellish and get away with it, so this is not an outlandish scenario.  It should have been at least a penalty shot.

• Like 1

The rulebook actually has two rules in re: goals off the moorings, one which allows for goals to be disallowed on such a play, and one for non-goals to be changed to goals. In essence, this means that the refs call on the ice holds a lot of weight, because the play yesterday was both allowable and disallowable. 

This rule exists:

IMG_20191111_090649.thumb.jpg.64644f112ed029c80fbfc2fcf0fb9367.jpg

So then you might say, that was a goal then right? But the NHL offered this rule as explanation:

Screenshot_20191111-090601_Chrome.thumb.jpg.96494c12687a15baea08bc0a211f167c.jpg

My take here is, again, discretion to the refs and their original call. The guys in Toronto probably asked themselves, "The refs disallowed the goal, was the goal disallow-able." The answer to that would be, yes. They could have allowed it as well. 

Thus we get the Hischier goal, and the Hall non-goal. Unless we get further explanation that's my best guess. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

People really need to stop with their baseless outbursts about how terrible people are. Simmonds is awful, yet has 6 points in 7, and in the next breath people want to polish Boqvist’s balls with a fine cloth when he hasn’t even scored an NHL point. 

There is a "Simmonds appreciation thread" created over on the reddit page today actually. 

3 hours ago, Neb00rs said:
3 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

The rulebook actually has two rules in re: goals off the moorings, one which allows for goals to be disallowed on such a play, and one for non-goals to be changed to goals. In essence, this means that the refs call on the ice holds a lot of weight, because the play yesterday was both allowable and disallowable. 

meant to say thanks for posting that explanation.

right so refs>rules great

its a subjectively judged athletic activity now, like figure skating.

Edited by lazer

17 minutes ago, lazer said:

meant to say thanks for posting that explanation.

right so refs>rules great

its a subjectively judged athletic activity now, like figure skating.

That's sort of how it should be.  Rules are great for ensuring there's some level of consistency and not complete anarchy, but at the end of the day this is a game and sport played by humans, and officiated by humans.  I'm ok with certain plays being judgment calls. As we've seen with the new offsides rule, when things are too by-the-book it can be constricting to the game. 

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's sort of how it should be.  Rules are great for ensuring there's some level of consistency and not complete anarchy, but at the end of the day this is a game and sport played by humans, and officiated by humans.  I'm ok with certain plays being judgment calls. As we've seen with the new offsides rule, when things are too by-the-book it can be constricting to the game. 

Totally agree.  I mean, even the delayed penalty whistle is subjective and that happens a handful of times every game.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The Cory trade and extension were very good when they happened. People were panicking that he was gonna leave then almost as much as they are about Hall now. Then his hip exploded and his brain went to mush. 

And Shero was already GM when Zacha was picked

He was here but let’s be serious, that was Conte’s pick. Shero had been here less than two months and had to rely on Lou’s scouts then basically let all of them go afterward.

That said Shero is on year 5 now and this is his team, the Lou handicapping him excuse has to end.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

He was here but let’s be serious, that was Conte’s pick. Shero had been here less than two months and had to rely on Lou’s scouts then basically let all of them go afterward.

That said Shero is on year 5 now and this is his team, the Lou handicapping him excuse has to end.

I feel like Ray would have had final decision but yes that was a classic Conte pick. "Can't teach size" and all that. 

On your second point, I love most of what Ray has done.  I understand he inherited mostly garbage but eventually the excuses get old. I'm really hoping the recent wins are signs of a turnaround. 

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I feel like Ray would have had final decision but yes that was a classic Conte pick. "Can't teach size" and all that. 

On your second point, I love most of what Ray has done.  I understand he inherited mostly garbage but eventually the excuses get old. I'm really hoping the recent wins are signs of a turnaround. 

Is it at least fair to say that the team Ray assembled on paper should be performing at a higher level than what they have achieved thus far? I understand that at the end of the day it his responsibility, but to what extent do you put this on the players as well? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

If Ray will be held accountable(blamed) for anything, in the end, I think it will be that he let Hynes stay longer that he should have. Few of us would have guessed the goalie situation would be this bad after how hopeful the end of last season/the off-season went.

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

The problems at the moment (re:  Shero's moves) are that both PK and Goose haven't paid immediate dividends, and Mueller still hasn't shown much signs that he'll ever become a competent NHL regular...Simmonds has been iffy too, but at least he's only on a one-year deal.  Hasn't helped that Cory yet again has turned into a complete pumpkin.  Blackwood has been inconsistent, but at least he's shown signs that he can be solid one day...I just feel like that kid has something.  Both showed enough as last season closed that I can understand why Shero chose to stick with them (and of course, Cory's contract is too prohibitive for anyone to want to take on, unless they can dump something just as odious in return). 

I like most of Ray's moves too, but they really haven't been working out lately.  MoJo didn't.  Mueller really hasn't.  Hopefully Ty Smith will be ready next season.  PK so far is making Nashville look like they knew something the Devils didn't.  You can't judge some of these deals after 16 GP of course...I'm still crossing my fingers that PK isn't really a shadow of himself now that he's in his 30s, and that Goose's last two games are something to build off. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Is it at least fair to say that the team Ray assembled on paper should be performing at a higher level than what they have achieved thus far? I understand that at the end of the day it his responsibility, but to what extent do you put this on the players as well? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

If Ray will be held accountable(blamed) for anything, in the end, I think it will be that he let Hynes stay longer that he should have. Few of us would have guessed the goalie situation would be this bad after how hopeful the end of last season/the off-season went.

Oh I think there's plenty of blame to go around. I don't put it all on Ray at all. I think I agree with all of his moves on paper. The only thing I questioned was defense depth and goalie depth but there wasn't exactly a ton out there in the market for that. 

The team might still need some time to come together since there are so many new players. I think some players are trying too hard to do everything. The wins this week were promising.

Blackwood is showing flashes and is very young so if he can develop some consistency we might have our guy in net at least.  That's huge. We are stuck with Cory unless he develops another "injury" and Domingue comes up but he hasn't exactly been lights out in the AHL 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The problems at the moment (re:  Shero's moves) are that both PK and Goose haven't paid immediate dividends,

Gusev is tied for second on the team in goals scored. Plus a shootout goal, and that’s having been scratched from a few. Also the 4th highest shooting percentage on the team. 

If he hasn’t worked out, it’s because our entire team hasn’t. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Gusev is tied for second on the team in goals scored. Plus a shootout goal, and that’s having been scratched from a few. Also the 4th highest shooting percentage on the team. 

Tri's takes on Goose have been 100% on the money.  One decent glamour number doesn't really change much of that...he was very deservedly scratched.  People have mentioned his -1 as evidence that he really hasn't been that bad, but he's been very lucky that it hasn't been much worse. 

But he has looked better the last couple of games...good enough that you can give him some more games and see if he can build off them, and all I was looking for (given his start) was to be bad enough that you could keep giving him games without it being a horror show...hopefully he's making legit strides.  I have a feeling Elias is a hell of a teacher. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tri's takes on Goose have been 100% on the money.  One decent glamour number doesn't really change much of that...he was very deservedly scratched.  People have mentioned his -1 as evidence that he really hasn't been that bad, but he's been very lucky that it hasn't been much worse. 

But he has looked better the last couple of games...good enough that you can give him some more games and see if he can build off them, and all I was looking for (given his start) was to be bad enough that you could keep giving him games without it being a horror show...hopefully he's making legit strides.  I have a feeling Elias is a hell of a teacher. 

I think it’s ridiculous. 

You’re talking about a guy who came over having never played in the NHL with an obvious adjustment to be made, and he’s playing on a team that has been half a dumpster fire and he’s still scored more goals than Hall, Nico, Simmonds, Wood, Zajac and Coleman, and he’s played in less games than all of them. 

I’m not an advanced star guy, but “goals scored” is not a glamour stat as far as I’m concerned. You win based on goals scored. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think he has 2 SO goals.

• Like 1